Discuss / Research SPB Mobile Shell 3

Guest vishalm

Guest barbs666
So, a trial version is finally out. For many who have taken the plunge to test it, or are about to, the wait is over.

I myself have installed it and will post my opionions about it below.

For those who haven't seen the spam of new threads about it, here a quick overview.

Earlier today, I believe, build 6362 of SPB Mobile Shell V3.0.0 was leaked and spread across the internet.

The installer was found on SPB's server is as of yet has not been removed.

Link: http://softspb.com/ext/mobileshell/6362-DF...hell3_setup.exe

The file has also been uploaded to many file hosting site however I find it pointless to post any as the official site seems to work.

Update: File removed from SPB server...

Mirror: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=RRPNBFDC

So, my experience so far:

The official installer is a .exe installer that needs to be run from a PC with Active Sync or Mobile Central.

It is similar to most SPB installer where it allows a Trial, or a registered version by providing it with a serial code.

As I prefer Cab files over .exe installers, I grabbed the Cab during the installation.

Unfortunately it wanted to perform an update to MS2, so make sure you back up your Program Files and Registry.

Important Note: I believe the installation wiped out many of my contacts and calander events. Make sure you backup just incase it happens to you aswell. I haven't heard anyone else complain about that, so it could be something else, but better safe then sorry.

After using it for an hour or so, I have to say I do like it, and I'm not going back to v2.

I was expecting it to be slightly unresponsive especially in the Cube feature, however I was totally wrong. It is dead responsive.

I dont like the colour too much and will look into changing the theme.

The Professional Layout seems uncustomisable from the GUI but I'm sure you can in a similar fasion to MS2.

As for the Lifestyle Layout, well since I say the video I was never a fan. I screen is enough for me.

Maybe it will grow on me, I hope it does, as it does allow preety much full customisability.

But there is a lack of so called Widgets at the moment.

I've not liked SPB Contacts from day 1, and I still dont in MS3. I use Inesoft Phone to manage phone related stuff, so SPB stuff is just bloatware and doesn't do what I want. (Custom Number Types).

I don't know if this is a bug, but when I open the call log, it doesn't show names, just the number, and the type.

As for the Cube, its really nice, theme is not the best, but its ok. It doesn't seem like you can add/remove screen from the Cube. There 12 of them, and I wouldn't touch about 5.

Moving on to 3rd party apps. An improvement here, SMS loads SMS-Chat, Call Log loads SPB Call Log, and not the Systems default, Alarms opens windows alarm, and calander opens SPB Calander.

So a slight improvement but still alot to do here.

Thats it for now, More later if I find more to talk about.

Feel free to post your opinions and even screenshots.

Thanks

Update: I just realised how to change the theme. "Settings > Personal > Today" and select a theme from there. The most popular is black, so simply set the theme to DiamondQVGA or a similar black theme. Looks much nicer now :D

Update: I've been playing around with it for quite a while now, and am starting to like it. Infact the Lifestyle layout has grown on me and i've customised it to my liking.

People seem to be asking for screenshots, so here they are.

Cube/Panels: I earlier mentioned that you couldn't add/remove panels from the cube, fortunately I was wrong.

Head over to HKLM>Software>Spb Software House 2>Spb Mobile Shell>NowScreen>Panels

Look inside the numbered folders to see the names of the panels. To remove a panel, simple delete the folder.

Note: Folders are in a 0 based assending number order. It needs to stay that way, or it doesnt work. e.g if you delete folder 4, rename all other folder to compensate for the missing 4. 5>4, 6>5..........

As for adding, other panels, you just need to put in names of screens ":xxxxxx" and see if it works.

SPB Menu: Seems like SPB are enjoying hiding features. Here's how to unlock the SPB Menu so you can add and remove links as you wish.

Navigate to: HKLM>Software>Spb Software House 2>Menu>Root

In there you will find folders that correspond to the menu items in the SPB Menu. E.G: Internet

You need to go into the folder and add a DWORD value called "Add" with the value of "1".

Once this is done, go to SPB Menu and open the Menu Catagory. Click the options button (bottom right) and you will see 3 new buttons. :lol:

Here is a tip from 3shirts, it shows you how to add another Application Category to the menu. - Thank you

GDAY MATE,

Does anyone know if you disable "show sim contacts" will that work in spb mobile shell 3? Seems that when I view a contact it only shows me the name and number.... not all the details i have for them eg: birthday, address, work numbers etc.... I really would like to access all the info on a person i have easily.... any suggestions?

Guest barbs666
(REPOSTED: Still looking for an answer....)

Stopping sim contacts from appearing in the spb contact page

Does anyone know if there is an option or method yet of stopping sim contacts from appearing in the spb contact page? I know duplicate names was a problem with earlier spb mobile versions, and I can't remember if anyone found a successful way of getting rid of them? I imagine most people have a copy of contacts on device and sd card, no?

Mattster.

yeah i have been asking the same thing mate; havnt heard a good way yet other than delete the sim..... hope some wiz out there can work it out.

Guest Dr Nicky
SPB 3 has stopped showing me my missed calls and how many SMS I have unread.

Anyone know if there is a way to fix this?

This also keeps happening to me. One minute it displays missed calls and received TXTs and then for no apparent reason it stops reporting :D

Guest rigor.m

Just found out by mistake that if you tap and hold a widget on the lifestyle screen you enter "edit" mode and you can easily remove the widget.. I wonder if it's intended to work that way ?

Guest barbs666

how do you get the "facebook" app to work?

Mine says that it filed to connect to the internet even though i have ie/opera logged into facebook at the time!!!!!

great program but some little things are so annoying!

Guest GodsGift
Just found out by mistake that if you tap and hold a widget on the lifestyle screen you enter "edit" mode and you can easily remove the widget.. I wonder if it's intended to work that way ?

Thats kinda the point, that the entire shell is customizable (well most of it)

GG

Navigate to:

HKLM>Software>Microsoft>Shell>Rai>:MSINBOX

Change key labeled 1 to you SMS-Chat exe.

e.g: "\Program Files\VITO\SMS-Chat\SMSChat.exe"

Note: Dont forget the "", they are important.

Restart and try.

guys help please... i did it but then got tired of vito sms.. how do i change it back to default?

Guest virocell

Love MS3 so far.

2 questions which have been asked before but no definitive answer yet:

First - my Facebook integration doesn't work.

Second - I don't get the normal WinMo notifications popping up such as incoming call.

Third - New SMS and new email counters not working properly.

Oh, that's 3 questions.

Anyway, any ideas with any of these?

Guest pwhooftman2
Necosino,

I've checked out VJBrisk and I'd managed to change my alarm to G-Alarm (thanks!), but when I try to change my calendar to Thumb Cal as you explained it didn't work to me, I don't know why. Maybe because the calendar in SPB Shell 3 doesn't run windows default calendar? Maybe it runs tasks or SPB calendar interface (that small black agenda with "+"). Any idea? Thanks a lot!

Maybe my trick is of help to you : 'Integrate' any PIM

Guest Omega Ra
Does anyone have slow screen rotation reaction when using MS3? I am...like rrrreeaaalllyyy slow response time.

yeah I have noticed that as well, but honestly I usually have the screen rotation set to manual cause sometimes it rotates when I don't want it to.

Guest nixxss
Go to Programs and select "Media Album". Hit the "Up" soft key in the lower left corner until you see the "My Storage" folder icon and select it. Find your ringtone folder and select it. Highlight (not select) a ringtone and hit the "Menu" soft key in the lower right. Select "Set as" then "Ringtone." That ringtone will now be available in your list to assign to a contact.

this makes a copy of the file to windows.. doesn't change directory.. if u have 20 ringtones, this would take up too much room!

Guest GodsGift
the imarche skins arent as good as last time...but maybe with time they will improve :D I hope so anyway

I agree ... was getting used to the SPB MS3 layout ... not sure about the 3 buttons on the lifestyle screen ...

BUT .. I love the background on the carousel! nice.

GG

Guest aleis

Has anyone firgured out how to just changed the background in the carousel?

i want a completely different background on the carousel (the matrix theme).

Guest mediavue
Has anyone firgured out how to just changed the background in the carousel?

i want a completely different background on the carousel (the matrix theme).

Go here... http://www.mobilecustom.fr/forum/index.php/topic,1387.0.html use a translator unless u know french! download V5 and in the fondecran.dat file u will need to change to .zip.. then replace images that are already there...