Discuss / Research SPB Mobile Shell 3

Guest vishalm

Guest MadScot

I have loaded a Registered copy of V3 on my Vodafone branded Omnia..

When the new shell was first installed the Right hand key which was labelled "live" changed to SPB Menu.. Fine as that is how it worked with V2.. But the key changed back to "live"..

I have used a keychanging Cab that succesfully changed it back to SPB menu, but only until I swapped between the Today screen and the shell..

I had no problems with V2..

Anyone any ideas..?

Guest 3shirts
I have loaded a Registered copy of V3 on my Vodafone branded Omnia..

When the new shell was first installed the Right hand key which was labelled "live" changed to SPB Menu.. Fine as that is how it worked with V2.. But the key changed back to "live"..

I have used a keychanging Cab that succesfully changed it back to SPB menu, but only until I swapped between the Today screen and the shell..

I had no problems with V2..

Anyone any ideas..?

Flash to an unbranded ROM?

Guest fredphoesh
Here's how to unlock the SPB Menu so you can add and remove links as you wish.

Navigate to: HKLM>Software>Spb Software House 2>Menu>Root

In there you will find folders that correspond to the menu items in the SPB Menu. E.G: Internet

You need to go into the folder and add a DWORD value called "Add" with the value of "1".

Once this is done, go to SPB Menu and open the Menu Catagory. Click the options button (bottom right) and you will see 3 new buttons. :excl:

Hi

Thanks... but it works to add programs to the SPB Menu folders, but you can only delete ones you have added, not the default programs/links. If you go into delete mode and click on the default icons, they do not disappear... so AFAIK one has to go to the registry to delete the default ones you dont want... unless someone knows a tweak?

Cheers,

Mark.

Guest paperfactory30
is there a way to get mobile shell to recognize ringtones in another folder than the one in windows... my ringtones are in a "My Ringtones" folder in my storage and i want mobile shell 3 to see them so i can assign them to contacts.

Go to Programs and select "Media Album". Hit the "Up" soft key in the lower left corner until you see the "My Storage" folder icon and select it. Find your ringtone folder and select it. Highlight (not select) a ringtone and hit the "Menu" soft key in the lower right. Select "Set as" then "Ringtone." That ringtone will now be available in your list to assign to a contact.

Guest fredphoesh
I renamed VJBrisk.exe to clock.exe and copied it to the Windows directory, overwriting the existing clock.exe

Hi there,

I would love to also use galarm instead of the windows one, but resco explorer says clock.exe is in ROM memory and cannot be deleted!?

How did you delete or rename clock.exe?

Thanks,

Mark.

Guest 3shirts
Hi there,

How did you delete or rename clock.exe?

I didn't, you can't. You need to rename VJBrisk.exe to clock.exe while it is located somewhere else then copy it into the Windows folder overwriting the one thats there. Resco will warn you that the file you are overwriting is in ROM but will let you do it.

You can only ever overwrite files in ROM, not delete or rename them. If you want to be safe, Resco should let you copy the original clock.exe out so do that first.

Edited by 3shirts

Guest fredphoesh
I didn't, you can't. You need to rename VJBrisk.exe to clock.exe while it is located somewhere else then copy it into the Windows folder overwriting the one thats there. Resco will warn you that the file you are overwriting is in ROM but will let you do it.

You can only ever overwrite files in ROM, not delete or rename them. If you want to be safe, Resco should let you copy the original clock.exe out so do that first.

hi mate, thanks for that, I managed to overwrite, and will try the rest now...

tx

Mark

Guest dwallersv
ok thanks, i'll try that

wierd that it never happened before i installed MS3.......

*UPDATE* Nevermind, figured out what was wrong. Apparently the screen won't return to regular brightness from unlock when connected to the PC or external power....

Sorry... that's the bug I was talking about. If you allow the screen to dim on a timeout, then let the device go to sleep, you'll have to reboot to get full brightness back.

Workaround: Disable the dimming timeout feature as described above. As I said, it doesn't buy you much in power savings any way. Imperceptible, in fact, to me (the power savings), so why bother anyway?

Guest dwallersv
The only way to add a file as a widget is a bit long winded:

First go into the launcher menu (right pane with the categories). Go into 'My Shortcuts' (or any other if you have done the reg tweak to allow customising the other menus), now tap the right button and 'Add File'.

Once it's added here you can go back to the Lifestyle Home and: Add widget > Application, then choose the link you just created.

I haven't worked out a way of doing this for Opera Favourites though as they are not stored as separate files like IE ones are

Ahhh... thanks for the detailed explanation. Makes sense -- and works.

As for Opera favorites (what I want to target), looks like we're out of luck. I just figured that, since MS3 obviously can and does extract these -- when I put a "Favorites" button on my Lifestyle screen and press it, viola! All my Opera shortcuts are there, marked with the red "O" icon no less -- I figured it would be possible to use them directly for creating buttons on the Lifestyle screen somehow.

I'll post it as an enhancement request on the SPB forums. Should be pretty easy. In fact, poking around the registry may reveal a way to do this anyway. Or, if anyone knows the command line options to open a URL on startup with Opera it would possible to (laboriously) create these shortcuts manually, then place them on the Lifestyle screen via the "Application" option.

Guest Cooper3950

I've noticed something odd. When in public I turn my phone on vibrate via a widget on the lifestyle page and when I try to return to "Normal" the ringer volume goes to zero and I have to change it manually. And before someone asks, yes the ringer volume is up before changing to "Vibrate" mode.

Guest 3shirts
I've noticed something odd. When in public I turn my phone on vibrate via a widget on the lifestyle page and when I try to return to "Normal" the ringer volume goes to zero and I have to change it manually. And before someone asks, yes the ringer volume is up before changing to "Vibrate" mode.

Assuming your using the standard lifestyle profiles widget you probably need to edit the Normal profile. There should be an option to do that when you tap the widget

Guest ahti000
Got two questions:

1- Would it be possible to not see the "Start" band at the top, so that Spb covers the whole screen?

2- Any way to add the "signal level" as a widget to the home page?

Also I miss teh operator logo on the home screen Cant find any way how to get it there. Any ideas. It was very nicely there on 2+ version. Very handy especially when raoming to know in what operator you are currently.

Guest LORD JUNIOR

All the stuff under SPB menu Internet tab disappeared when it was there before. How do I get it back on there? I see in the registry under HKLM/SOFTWARE/SPB SOFTWARE HOUSE 2/SPB MOBLIE SHELL/MENU/ROOT/INTERNET. It is all there how do I get it back on the Spb menu?

Guest Cooper3950
Assuming your using the standard lifestyle profiles widget you probably need to edit the Normal profile. There should be an option to do that when you tap the widget

That's how I turn the ring volume up, by editing the profile. It doesn't save it when I change to vibrate profile and then back.

Guest Bismar

Does, anyone know how to edit the pictures for the menus?

I would really like to get rid of the bottom bar background just so that i have more viewing room on my screen.

Guest Turborepu

i figured out how to add l/r gestures to the professional page. dunno if its been posted before..

the menubarcontacts.xml has the code. go into it and you will see what im talking about.

Plugin Class="Spb.LSP.MenuBar" Name="Contacts" ID="12">

<String Name="Open" Value=":TIME"/>

<String Name="OpenL" Value=":HOME"/>

<String Name="OpenR" Value=":WEATHER"/>

<Int Name="isActive" Value="1"/>

<Int Name="Replace" Value="1"/>

<String Name="Backgrd" Value="MenuBackgrd"/>

<String Name="Icons" Value="Icons"/>

<Rect Name="SrcIcon" X="0" Y="100" Width="48" Height="50"/>

/Plugin>

i changed the values of the open,openl,openr to :TIME :WEATHER and :HOME. you have to do that for each button. then i saved it as menubar3.xml. i then edited the lockscreen, time and weather xmls by changing the menu info on the very top to Layer Name="Menu" Dialog="MenuBar3"/. zipped them back into the layouts.dat

exit and restart ms3 from spb settings menu or restart.. now i csn swipe through those pages from the professional screen.. this bssically will allow people who sctually know what the hell they are doing to make the pro screen be like ms2. i only tried it fast to see if the swiping works, but i did not edit the skins or add a panel button in the corner. youll see what i mean..

also to change the text on the pro page for launcher snd contacts, edit the menubar.xml file.

dont give me no lip about spelling or my post format, im still doin all my research/editing directly from the omnia. :excl: hope this info helps. i just posted this in xda. hopefully it will help the talented skinners here or there.

Guest mrearthpig

My MP3 player widget always says "Playlist is empty" - unless I load some music and then minimise the media player. As soon as I quit completely out of media player, the playlist is blank.

I don't really want to have media player sitting in the background chewing resources.

Is there a way to set it up so I just press play on the widget and have it play whatever was last loaded in media player?

Is there a way to add another page to the carousel? I'd like to set up a carousel page which has direct access to all my MP3's.