[Project] ANDROMNiA - Android on Omnia

Guest FeLLa_

Guest Turborepu

ok, here are my organized & detailed instructions.

Load ubuntu live cd.(no need to install linux, runs off cd)

Plug in omnia(make sure its in usb mode, and mass storage is set to the storage card.)

Load Gparted, (you can skim through the menu, it is called partitiion editor, or press alt + f2 and type "sudo gparted" )

In Gparted will need to create 3 partitions, primary partition ext2, extended partition, and the fat 32 partition within the extended block. Make sure you choose the proper drive from the menu usually on the top right.(you may experience issues making some changes to the partitions because the volumes are mounted, unmount them, and try again.. )

Press alt+f2 and type "sudo nautilus" then use that to extract/copy the files over to the card. (ON ubuntu, they dont have the usual way of gaining SU permission so you will get access denied if you try using the normal file explorer "nautilus" to copy the files over without the extra permission. Thats what makes Linux Safer.)(if you are using other flavors of Linux its a bit different to gain permissions and probably managed when you set up your users accounts)

After successfully extracting the contents of the rootfs file to the ext2 partition make sure you unmount the volume for the ext2 partition, IF YOU DON'T DO THIS THE FILES WILL NOT BE WRITTEN.

hope this helps...

Edited by Turborepu

Guest dlzerocool
ok, here are my organized & detailed instructions.

Load ubuntu live cd.(no need to install linux, runs off cd)

Plug in omnia(make sure its in usb mode, and mass storage is set to the storage card.)

Load Gparted, (you can skim through the menu, it is called partitiion editor, or press alt + f2 and type "sudo gparted" )

In Gparted will need to create 3 partitions, primary partition ext2, extended partition, and the fat 32 partition within the extended block. Make sure you choose the proper drive from the menu usually on the top right.(you may experience issues making some changes to the partitions because the volumes are mounted, unmount them, and try again.. )

Press alt+f2 and type "sudo nautilus" then use that to extract/copy the files over to the card. (ON ubuntu, they dont have the usual way of gaining SU permission so you will get access denied if you try using the normal file explorer "nautilus" to copy the files over without the extra permission. Thats what makes Linux Safer.)(if you are using other flavors of Linux its a bit different to gain permissions and probably managed when you set up your users accounts)

After successfully extracting the contents of the rootfs file to the ext2 partition make sure you unmount the volume for the ext2 partition, IF YOU DON'T DO THIS THE FILES WILL NOT BE WRITTEN.

hope this helps...

Instead of ALT+F2 : sudo xxx

you should do : gksudo thecommand

It will give a graphical ui to enter the password :D

Guest sukys

Through instalation program begins write message : pxa2xx-mci pxa2xx-mci .0: unable to stop clock....and instalation doesn´t go next.Please help me ;) :D

Guest raven369

I just found out about this project and I must say I'm impressed. Keep up the good work. It would be awesome if this was ported to the Samsung Omnia Pro/Louvre that's going to come out later this year. *Drools* :D

Guest semmtexx
Through instalation program begins write message : pxa2xx-mci pxa2xx-mci .0: unable to stop clock....and instalation doesn´t go next.Please help me ;) :D

Hey sukys, this is normal. Just wait it out and it will eventually start. It repeated this line like 50 times for me and I was like oh man!! but the "Android" comes up and I was like woo hoo!!!

Guest Omnia-Winker

So im just browsing the forum, killing 5 mins.

I drop in here to see whats new and BAM!!!!

Andriod running on the Omnia - I never thought I would see it.....

Cant wait to see it working, receiving calls, sms etc......

Great work guys, enabling email notifications now so I dont miss anything!!!

Guest TheDrizzle

I wonder... there have been some successful attempts to get real multi-touch working on the G1 with andriod (see here). I wonder if we can apply these same hacks to the Omnia Andriod kernel? I'd bet though there are hardware restrictions that would prevent this from working, but it would be soooo cool if it would work!!

Guest c00l3r
I wonder... there have been some successful attempts to get real multi-touch working on the G1 with andriod (see here). I wonder if we can apply these same hacks to the Omnia Andriod kernel? I'd bet though there are hardware restrictions that would prevent this from working, but it would be soooo cool if it would work!!

AFAIK the Omnia has a resistive touch screen, the Android phones, iPhones and Palm Pres have a capacitive touchscreen. And the resistive do not support multi touch. That's just the way they are build.

Guest theraf90

great!!! perfectly working!

Can't wait for a usable version!

ps the touch screen isn't as sensitive as it is on windows mobile... probably becouse there are no drivers installed right?

oh and if I chage some settings they resetonce I open the menu again...

I hope I've helped your development :D with some of the problems I found.

Guest aceofrazgriz
AFAIK the Omnia has a resistive touch screen, the Android phones, iPhones and Palm Pres have a capacitive touchscreen. And the resistive do not support multi touch. That's just the way they are build.

Not entirely true. Although many resistive screens cannot support true multi-touch, the technology for resistive screen multi-touch is out there, and from what i've seen, working as good, if not better, than on capacitive. This keeps me hopeful, as i much prefer resistive vs capacitive.

Guest like-a-seagull

well done on this.

i had an omnia but windows mobile just wrecked my head, sold it and got a htc magic instead.

fair play though:)

Guest RobMac92

If you could have had Android on the Omnia, would you have kept the Omnia? Just out of curiousity. Heard lots of good things about Android and the HTC hero looks amazing, but what do you think of the OS?

Guest like-a-seagull
If you could have had Android on the Omnia, would you have kept the Omnia? Just out of curiousity. Heard lots of good things about Android and the HTC hero looks amazing, but what do you think of the OS?

without a shadow of a doubt I would of kept it if android was fully working on it - the hardware itself on the omnia was excellent. the only bad side was the resistive screen.

now that i have the magic though im much happier, its a nifty phone.

Edited by like-a-seagull

Guest Marco Sousa

how to shutdown Android (haret), and go back to Windows Mobile ? Is needed to reset?

Edited by Marco Sousa

Guest Omnia-Winker

Can anyone tell me the following please.

Is there any new information on this project, do we have a model that is calling/sms-ing yet.

Is there a blog anywhere with more uptodate info

Can do anything to help

Thanks in advance, great work- very eagar to try.

Guest aceofrazgriz
Can anyone tell me the following please.

Is there any new information on this project, do we have a model that is calling/sms-ing yet.

Is there a blog anywhere with more uptodate info

Can do anything to help

Thanks in advance, great work- very eagar to try.

They have a site with forums set up, but its really just for internal use, they mostly use IRC to collaborate. There are some update notes here and there, but usually not much unless they have a good push on an update (next i would assume would be worthy touchscreen driver, last will most likely be the phones radio.)

You can look around here: http://support-köhler.de/andromnia/index.php but i would suggest not hopping in to post about anything unless you can help with dev. Some of the guys check these forums and others about problems people are having, and when they can they stop in to help.