[Project] ANDROMNiA - Android on Omnia

Guest FeLLa_

Guest dwaino86
no update doesn't always mean no progress! with mostly big things left to get working, its going to take a good bit of time for them to get them functional.

still ... soo excited!

Guest blu_bie

i cant get through the boot.....

what i need is edit the partition right guys??

and a ubuntu soft??

can u explain more detail how to mount and test this project??

btw...

this project is soo awesome.... i even think to change my omnia to G1...

but i like the omnia though....

i dreamed android runs on omnia....

i like this project... u guys are rock!!!

make it happen... i try to help too if i can....

Guest blu_bie

but i think android needs a linux OS since it an open source not the WM....

so maybe we can change to linux and try the android os then??

i read it from the android forum though...

they working for the iphone too.....

Guest cooleydan5
can we get some extra developers on this? im willing to help code and test and donate? this is too good to let blow over!

Guest bmn4711

ive got a little bit of know-how on booting lnux on foreign hardware. how can i contribute the above website did not offer enough info for me. im up and runing with build rev 10X(3?) works kinda alright hwo can i help improving responsiveness?

Guest Gary Crutcher

Hi,

I downloaded the android sdk and there was an emulator in it.

Got the emulator to work (under Ubuntu) with the current release of the code rev 147.

EMulator is very nice to work with. Only issue is that you cannot change the phone display

size to 400x240 (it's a Google G1 display). Not sure if this is a big issue or not.

After you install the sdk, you have to create an avd (Android Virtual Device), then using the

sdk create an SD card and mount it as vfat (and a loop). Mount the SD card and copy all the rootfs files to

it.

When you run the emulator, you specify the mounted SD card and the avd you created.

I am running all of this on an Asus netbook. A little slow but it works!

Gary

Guest semmtexx

Hey guys if you look at the changelog rev 105 and 106 say that they added sgh_modem support. I was wondering if anyone knows if this has to do with the phone operation? like calls, text, data etc? Just curious.

Guest jhitesma
Hey guys if you look at the changelog rev 105 and 106 say that they added sgh_modem support. I was wondering if anyone knows if this has to do with the phone operation? like calls, text, data etc? Just curious.

It's the start of being able to support the radios in the phone. But at this point it's basically just placeholder code, no actual radio support yet.

Guest finaldestiny
ive got a little bit of know-how on booting lnux on foreign hardware. how can i contribute the above website did not offer enough info for me. im up and runing with build rev 10X(3?) works kinda alright hwo can i help improving responsiveness?

It's best to get them on irc. That's where their developers are most of the time.

irc.freenode.net

#andromnia

Guest Gary Crutcher
Hi Gary,

I am new to Ubuntu and Linux.

Would you be kind enough to provide a step by step guide on achieving what you have mentioned above?

It would be highly appreciated!

Hi,

1. After you have installed the android SDK v1.5, make sure you follow the install directions and set your path to the SDK:

my .bashrc entry is => PATH=${PATH}:/home/gary/android_sdk/tools

2. Copy all the android project source per the instructions in this forum to your computer. I created a directory called "andromnia" for all the project source.

3. Next create an AVD (Android Virtual Device):

android create avd -n <name of your device> -t 2

<-n name of your device can be anything: I called mine omnia>

<-t 2 target id, which I guess is an android v1.5 basic platform>

You will be prompted to create a custom hardware profile: type yes, because there are some options you may want to set.

Just answer all the questions (mostly yes/no). And you are done.

4. Next you need to create an SD card to store the root_fs files.

do the following:

mksdcard -l sd 1024M <path>/sd <path is where you want the sdcard directory to be>/sd

example: mksdcard -l sd 1024M /home/gary/andromnia/sd

This will create a 1GB SD card in /home/gary/andromnia/sd (any size will work; make sure it is big enough for the project

code>

5. Now we need to copy the andromnia code (root_fs) to the sd card we just made.

First mount the card: sudo mount sdcard1.img ./sd -t vfat -o loop

this will mount the sdcard (sd) as an image file have a fat fs

Now copy all the root_fs files to the SD directory: sudo cp -R andromnia_rootfs/* /<path>/sd

sudo chown -R root /<path>/sd

sudo chmod -R 755 /<path>/sd

sdcard1.img is used based on information I read about mounting devices. I believe the directory ends up being an image used for the emulator. (Someone please verify this)

6. OK, now you should be ready for the emulator.

emulator -avd <name of svd created> -sdcard <path/name of sd card> -verbose -scale 0.8

example: emulator -avd omnia -sdcard ./sd -verbose -scale 0.8

I used verbose to see what was going on. I used scale because I am on a netbook (1024x600).

Do not add these 2 options if you do not need them.

Hope this helps. I did a walk through on my netbook as I was typing this, so it should work.

Gary

Guest ATSsupport
Has anyone attempted to install on a Omnia i910 on Verizon?

Yup I got it to boot and the battery and touch drivers work fine

Guest lorismarcos

I know that although omnia supports 256k colors, winmo shows only 65k

but what about android?

will it use all the colors ?

Guest Mir_X
I know that although omnia supports 256k colors, winmo shows only 65k

but what about android?

will it use all the colors ?

yes , i'm wondering this issue too...

if it can support 256k on omnia , it will be great...

but i think, for the certain answer , we should search the specifications of android os. it must depend on the android drivers , musnt it ?

Edited by Mir_X

Guest Ingvarr

Who said that it supports 256k?

While LCD screen can be 24-bit compatible (which I doubt), XScale framebuffer still is 16 bit max, unless you use YUV overlay mode (which is indended for movie playback only). Its a hardware limitation.

Edited by Ingvarr

Guest Mir_X
Who said that it supports 256k?

While LCD screen can be 24-bit compatible (which I doubt), XScale framebuffer still is 16 bit max, unless you use YUV overlay mode (which is indended for movie playback only). Its a hardware limitation.

i only read it on the web but i haven't any technical knowledge about it...

some say it has 65k color support on the other hand some say "It has a TFT based touch screen phone that supports up to 256K colours." for omnia sgh i-900

which is the real information about the screen ?

Edited by Mir_X

Guys, We have a working wi-fi with revision 152!!! But do not forget to renew rootfs along with the new kernel...

It's buggy , you'll have to add your network with appropriate bssid and passphrase ... it won't show you any networks....

and also my phone get really hot with wi-fi enabled....

BUT it's very promising progress ;)

Guest mnegutu

You want me to compile and upload this rev? i have my omnia at the samsung service center and been quite busy these days so i didn't notice this being fixed by the developers.

Guest finaldestiny

mnegutu, compile rev 153 instead please. I think they fixed the access point discovery bug and did some key remapping. In any case, as of now, 153 is the latest.

cheers

Guest vinbeaver

Just a curiosity question as I am looking forward to all of your guys hard work... now I noticed you guys are installing off and booting from the SD cards.  Is it going to be possible once this bad boy is finished to be completely done with Windows or are we probably going to be stuck with a dual-boot system.  Obviously I'd prefer to do away with Windows but if not either way what you guys are doing is beyond amazing.