[Project] ANDROMNiA - Android on Omnia

Guest FeLLa_

Guest Linkazoid
Just a curiosity question as I am looking forward to all of your guys hard work... now I noticed you guys are installing off and booting from the SD cards. Is it going to be possible once this bad boy is finished to be completely done with Windows or are we probably going to be stuck with a dual-boot system. Obviously I'd prefer to do away with Windows but if not either way what you guys are doing is beyond amazing.

They have already sorted that IIRC from a convo on IRC.... I think that at the moment due to the constant updating its easier to boot from sd.

Michael

Guest vinbeaver

Yeah i figured that was the case for now as they have plenty of testing and updating before a final release is ready, but my question was when it's all said and done and the dust settles should we be able to just boot from Android and not have to have a dual boot configuration?

Guest lorismarcos
Who said that it supports 256k?

While LCD screen can be 24-bit compatible (which I doubt), XScale framebuffer still is 16 bit max, unless you use YUV overlay mode (which is indended for movie playback only). Its a hardware limitation.

aham... so all those staff about omnia supporting 24bit are crap

meh...

i hoped it was true but i guess it makes sense

Why make a device support 24bit when the software only supports 16bit

Guest jhitesma
Yeah i figured that was the case for now as they have plenty of testing and updating before a final release is ready, but my question was when it's all said and done and the dust settles should we be able to just boot from Android and not have to have a dual boot configuration?

This was answered back on one of the first pages in this thread.

It should eventually be possible. But is a LONG ways off and is a low priority since there's still so much basic functionality to be worked out.

Guest Michael122w
aham... so all those staff about omnia supporting 24bit are crap

meh...

i hoped it was true but i guess it makes sense

Why make a device support 24bit when the software only supports 16bit

There is a separate thread discussing this issue. The screen does support 24 bit. The operating system doesn't. However if you watch a video via TCPMP or Core Player then it will use the full 24 bit colours (apparently accessing hardware directly). This is eveident, if you watch a video on TCPMP v Touch Player there is considerably more banding on Touch Player.

Guest Mir_X
There is a separate thread discussing this issue. The screen does support 24 bit. The operating system doesn't. However if you watch a video via TCPMP or Core Player then it will use the full 24 bit colours (apparently accessing hardware directly). This is eveident, if you watch a video on TCPMP v Touch Player there is considerably more banding on Touch Player.

i have opened a new topic about it.

here...

Guest whitj

Sorry if this has already been asked but...

When all this is said and done and we have a Functional Android OS, how much estimated work would it take to convert it to the Omnia II? I am planning on grabbing one as soon as it comes to the US, however I'll be bummed if Android is then thrown out the window :)

Guest idenoq

WOW! My touchscreen is working! Bravo!

My Omnia doesn't freeze at all!

p.s. Is there any way to soft reset Omnia while using Android?

Guest ErGo_404
please sbd compile newest version. i'm not really good@ this hi-tech s*** :)

thank you!

You need linux to format your memcard, and if you have linux, it is really easy to check out the svn and compile your own version.

I don't have time right now to do it for you (maybe later in the evening), but you should take the time to give it a try ;-)

Guest stirkac
You need linux to format your memcard, and if you have linux, it is really easy to check out the svn and compile your own version.

I don't have time right now to do it for you (maybe later in the evening), but you should take the time to give it a try ;-)

uhm i have ubuntu on my comp and all is OK but they changed the forum so i can't find guide how to do it :-/

damn those spammers :@

Guest jhitesma

Anyone else having problems getting to the new andromnia.net domain? My ISP has simply horrible nameservers so I'm using OpenDNS instead...but still can't get andromnia.net to resolve. It will resolve from work. But here at home I just get "Server Failed" when I try to do an nslookup on the domain :)

Guest ErGo_404
http://ferro.eu.org/andromnia/changelog.txt

automatically generated every day 12pm

Thanks !

Anyone else having problems getting to the new andromnia.net domain? My ISP has simply horrible nameservers so I'm using OpenDNS instead...but still can't get andromnia.net to resolve. It will resolve from work. But here at home I just get "Server Failed" when I try to do an nslookup on the domain :)

It did'nt work either for me this morning, but it works now.

EDIT :

Android is beginning to be usable as a PDA thanks to the Andromnia team. Would you have any advice concerning the apps we can install and how ?

I would love to help you, but my knowledge in drivers is too poor for that ;)

I whish you good luck !

Edited by ErGo_404

Guest TheDrizzle

Not working for me, I can't get in...

Guest silverback2

hey, i formated my sd card, and now i cant do anything to it. its completly locked out. i cant even reformat it. all i did was use gnome format and formated it to ext2.

Guest stirkac
hey, i formated my sd card, and now i cant do anything to it. its completly locked out. i cant even reformat it. all i did was use gnome format and formated it to ext2.

type "sudo gparted" in terminal, unmount SDD device and format it. it should work. or just put it in windows it will format automatically

Guest joža

may I ask one more thing? is this just me or is the new version painfully slow? i mean it takes forever to open any app or so. and omnia is getting really hot. green led is also burning all the time...

Guest silverback2

sudo gparted is not working.....

silverback2@silverback2-laptop:~$ sudo gparted

[sudo] password for silverback2:

sudo: gparted: command not found

silverback2@silverback2-laptop:~$

any ideas?