[Project] ANDROMNiA - Android on Omnia

Guest FeLLa_

Guest whiplash000

Hey everyone,

The sourceforge forum's down for a little while due to a problem caused by changing the project's name... :|

If you registered, you might have to register again.

One other thing, the project's not dead. The project was dead back when someone attempted to run the kernel back at xda forums and couldn't figure out this one problem and gave up over a year ago. Then, fella contacted me one day and we (okay, mostly him :D ) brought the project back to life last spring. At worst, us developers are just taking a break. From what I remember on irc around the end of august, our project's on hold until android 2.0 comes out because it'll make it much easier to add sound support (ALSA in 2.0 instead of some other confusing android sound system in 1.x if you really wanna know). Then we'll move on to other things, like CDMA and maybe, maybe Sense UI support. Keep donating to us 'cause I need a new JTAG device to make a bootloader :P

-whiplash

Edited by whiplash000

Hey everyone,

The sourceforge forum's down for a little while due to a problem caused by changing the project's name... :|

If you registered, you might have to register again.

One other thing, the project's not dead. The project was dead back when someone attempted to run the kernel back at xda forums and couldn't figure out this one problem and gave up over a year ago. Then, fella contacted me one day and we (okay, mostly him :D ) brought the project back to life last spring. At worst, us developers are just taking a break. From what I remember on irc around the end of august, our project's on hold until android 2.0 comes out because it'll make it much easier to add sound support (ALSA in 2.0 instead of some other confusing android sound system in 1.x if you really wanna know). Then we'll move on to other things, like CDMA and maybe, maybe Sense UI support. Keep donating to us 'cause I need a new JTAG device to make a bootloader :P

-whiplash

By any chance do you know when 2.0 is coming out? I think the Droid is coming out later this month or next and its supposed to be running 2.0, so I would assume they would release it to the public around the same time. I can't find an official answer online so I was hoping someone had more info than just rumors. Also isn't CDMA supported in 1.7? I'm really anxious to get this on my i910 so keep up the work guys. We know its hard getting something so complex running perfect with only a few people working in their offtime.

By any chance do you know when 2.0 is coming out? I think the Droid is coming out later this month or next and its supposed to be running 2.0, so I would assume they would release it to the public around the same time. I can't find an official answer online so I was hoping someone had more info than just rumors. Also isn't CDMA supported in 1.7? I'm really anxious to get this on my i910 so keep up the work guys. We know its hard getting something so complex running perfect with only a few people working in their offtime.

It's supposed to be released on Oct 28th but from what I've found around the net it's been delayed until December.

Guest thoughtmonster

So, why not work on ALSA support now? Kernel-space comes now, Android userspace comes later. Having a proper kernel implementation earlier than the userspace implementation might help with finding bugs and whatnot. Android 2.0 might be late, and having a tested kernel before that would benefit everyone.

I'm not complaining, though. You've done amazing work these past months. Simply the fact that you implemented GSM support is worth everything.

Maybe, if the donations add up, you'll be able to buy an additional Omnia so that we can replace WinCE forever. Should help with power managment too.

Looks to be alive and well. He's updating the site at:

http://www.andromnia.net/

Even some from today.

Ok so I see something about Android 2.0 posted today. Now I'm no programmer or develepor but I'm trying to understand the process here. It looks like he extracted that from the SDK posted at http://developer.android.com/sdk/android-2.0.html. Now before, someone corrected me and said that the SDK is just for developing apps, but on the android site posted above it says "The downloadable platform includes a fully compliant Android library and system image", so does that mean its basically the OS as well? Sorry for the noobish questions but not much else has been happening so I figured I would take the time to ask some questions, if someone wouldn't mind answering them. I may not know that much about the porting process to omnia, but I use linux daily and I'm not computer illiterate so don't dumb down the answer, I can google anything I don't understand. Thanks in advance for anyone who answers.

Guest thoughtmonster
Ok so I see something about Android 2.0 posted today. Now I'm no programmer or develepor but I'm trying to understand the process here. It looks like he extracted that from the SDK posted at http://developer.android.com/sdk/android-2.0.html. Now before, someone corrected me and said that the SDK is just for developing apps, but on the android site posted above it says "The downloadable platform includes a fully compliant Android library and system image", so does that mean its basically the OS as well? Sorry for the noobish questions but not much else has been happening so I figured I would take the time to ask some questions, if someone wouldn't mind answering them. I may not know that much about the porting process to omnia, but I use linux daily and I'm not computer illiterate so don't dumb down the answer, I can google anything I don't understand. Thanks in advance for anyone who answers.

The SDK contains an emulator, and the emulator emulates... android. So basically, the SDK contains filesystem images from various versions of Android the developer wants to test against and emulates them. Logically, these images contain valid files one can use on a normal device, if of course the binaries haven't been compiled in a certain, incompatible way.

Also, http://www.andromnia.net/redmine/boards/3/topics/show/3

The SDK contains an emulator, and the emulator emulates... android. So basically, the SDK contains filesystem images from various versions of Android the developer wants to test against and emulates them. Logically, these images contain valid files one can use on a normal device, if of course the binaries haven't been compiled in a certain, incompatible way.

Also, http://www.andromnia.net/redmine/boards/3/topics/show/3

Thanks for the speedy reply. Well I hope the programmers are having luck with new release, good luck guys

Guest stirkac
So, any feedback on the Android 2.0 rootfs? Does it boot properly? Does it have any issues?

tried it, doesn't work for me.... i get kernel panic... dunno if i have done anything wrong, but i don't think that this rootfs has right configuration for omnia...

but i can't be shure... please anyone confirm...

Guest whiplash000

Just a little heads up for everyone, the 2.0 rootfs is completely untested and seems to not work with the kernel we have so far. Also, we're in the process of migrating everything to our sourceforge.net account (andromnia.sourceforge.net) so you may have trouble accessing the site and the other dozen sites related to this project :D

Edited by whiplash000

Guest stirkac
Do you think there will someday be an Androndomnia that wil not run from the SD card? Because mine is broken...

it shure is possible to make a partition on MyStorage... but why risk loosing all information on your internal storage if you can do it all on SD card?

i mean, SD cards are so cheap nowdays :D

Edited by stirkac

Guest Hwang56

how is this project coming along. the last update on the first post was in june. did it die? or is it just taking longer to finish? any news on a fully functioning versions?

Guest whiplash000

FeLLa's been out for a while with a broken arm (that's what you get for leaving the safety of your pc kids) so I'm desperately trying to organize the project. Until further notice, the home of the project has moved to andromnia.sourceforge.net. Right now, I'm building and testing a new version of the kernel for you guys to mess with. It'll be done in a hour or two. I don't think there's anything new, but it's more stable. If you know anyone who has low-level linux experience and needs something to do by all means direct them towards our IRC channel (#andromnia on freenode) and get my attention.

Edited by whiplash000

Guest RheumaKay

Hi whiplash,

I think a lot of guys are really happy to hear that the work is still in progress.

I saw a good wiki page for the "Android on Xperia X1" project. They have a list of items (hardware and software) which says what is already working, what is in progress and what is not working. Such a page might be helpful to find developers who have knowledge on one of the topics. Some details about the hardware could be useful as well (e.g. GSM chip tpye, WIFI chip type,...).

/regards

Guest brandogg

My friend just got a Droid, so I'm pretty curious about Android. I'm on a Verizon i910 - is the version in the original post the latest version? Also, looking at some old info, you had to compile your build on a Linux PC, is this still the case? I really want to try this out. Also can you download apps from within the phone via WiFi or 3G?

Guest dutchtom

I seem to be having a weird problem that maybe you guys could help me out with. I'm trying to install these files to the My Storage area instead of an SD card because I am lacking one at the moment. All goes well for formatting as ext3, but as soon as I mount it in linux it apparently re-formats itself back to fat32 or whatever it was (can't remember). I've tried doing it again and again and I know im following the instructions right..or so i think lol. any ideas?