[Project] ANDROMNiA - Android on Omnia

Guest FeLLa_

Guest renegadEE
Ok guys, I've been reading this thread with awe and following your amazing development over the last week or so ...

However, is there any "easy" way to create the partition on the SD card...

I'm running XP Professional at work and dont really wanna download over half a gig of Ubuntu Live download.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Ta thanks

GG

I'm afraid that's gonna be difficult. I also didn't want to download the Ubuntu disk and tried to make an ext2 partition with Paragon Partition Manager. However it didn't work to mount the partition in Windows and if that would work you still need to access it properly. So I downloaded the disk anyway and it worked great!

Guest lonely2k5

not really minimizing the download size but another way works too

download opensuse

install it in virtualbox and it works ok to...no cd burning needed

you can access ext2 partition (opensuse) and fat32 my storage (win) at the same time

no rebooting all the time needed

trien ubuntu that way and it doesn't really mount the ext2 partition...opensuse does

Edited by lonely2k5

Guest shokka9
Do you need any help? (developing)

Welcome back bro....

seen u posting a little around here. If you can help get this project going better, then i am sure the guys will appreciate it and welcome it.

i would like to see Android running stable on the Omnia, that would be magnifico!!

:D

Guest lantony
I have ext2 partition on my sd card and when i try to run android, it says

"no filesystem could mount root, tried ext3 ext2 vfav msdos

kernel panic- not syncing UFS unable to mount root fs on unknown-block 179,1"

i have all files wherethey need to be. What name your ext2partition have?

im having the exact same problem as u . Did u solve it ?

Guest illusion786
do you all folks hear a buzzing sound behind the touchscreen when running android?

it's not in the speaker but behind the screen...i hope it doesn't burn my screen

Don worry, your not alone. :D

Lol when the screen turns off, there is no way to switch it back on.....

hopefully all these bugs will be brushed out soon.

Super work guys.

Hats off to you lot.

Guest jhitesma
trien ubuntu that way and it doesn't really mount the ext2 partition...opensuse does

ubuntu in virtualbox has worked great for me. So did Ubuntu in VMware.

In fact, I'm using my virtualbox install for building from the svn. I even picked up the Android SDK and eclipse and have started poking around at building apps for android on the same virtualbox.

Guest lantony
ubuntu in virtualbox has worked great for me. So did Ubuntu in VMware.

In fact, I'm using my virtualbox install for building from the svn. I even picked up the Android SDK and eclipse and have started poking around at building apps for android on the same virtualbox.

i used ubuntu with Virtualbox and created the 2 partitions (fat32 and ext 2) extracted the zip file in the ext2 partition but as from instructions but i still get the same error:

Kernel Panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(179,1)

Downloaded the latest Opensuse 11.1 Gnome but doesnt work with Virtualbox

Edited by lantony

Guest Andrea932

I have tried to install this on Windows...but i didn't success...after i tried with ubuntu on VMWare and Andromnia Works OK!!! Without any problem!!! This Project is fantastic!! congratulations!! :D -

ps: sorry for the bad english...i'am italian ;)

I LOVE THIS PROJECTTTTTTTTT

Guest Andrea932
i used ubuntu with Virtualbox and created the 2 partitions (fat32 and ext 2) extracted the zip file in the ext2 partition but as from instructions but i still get the same error:

Kernel Panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(179,1)

You must format entire SD with ext2 filesystem ^^

Guest X-Ray A4T
You must format entire SD with ext2 filesystem ^^

No, just make sure the first partition is a primary partition and it is ext2 (say 64-128MB, then you can create an extended partition with the rest of the drive with a single logical partition in the extended partition that can be fat32.

The ordering is crucial.

Guest rishk789

I know this is going to tick off a lot of people, but here it goes. :D

Does anyone have a ball-park figure when Android will be fully ported over (like, a release candidate, per se). The glitches and everything won't be worked out, but there will be drivers for all the hardware, the ability to make/receive phone calls and text messages, etc. Sometime this year, perhaps? I know the development team is hard at work, but the only reason I'm asking is to gauge whether or not I should purchase an actual Android phone by Verizon when they're released later this year.

Thanks!

Guest jhitesma
I know this is going to tick off a lot of people, but here it goes. :D

Does anyone have a ball-park figure when Android will be fully ported over (like, a release candidate, per se). The glitches and everything won't be worked out, but there will be drivers for all the hardware, the ability to make/receive phone calls and text messages, etc. Sometime this year, perhaps? I know the development team is hard at work, but the only reason I'm asking is to gauge whether or not I should purchase an actual Android phone by Verizon when they're released later this year.

Thanks!

Can't say yet. The project is really still getting started at this point. There aren't any roadmaps or hard goals. It's basically just a bunch of people who want to see android on their phone and are doing what they can to make it happen. That means volunteers working in what little spare time they have to make something happen.

There isn't really enough organization behind the project yet to be able to make predictions like that. And even projects with full time payed staff and full roadmaps often fall behind their predictions on when things will be completed.

There's also the issue of differences between the i900 and i910 - right now I believe most of the dev team are using i900's so that's where the primary focus is. I saw last night that the GSM modem was checked into svn, no word on anyone working on the i910's CDMA modem yet that's I've heard. The project has a lot of info about the i900 but I haven't seen as much detail in the svn for the i910. So even if they get the i900 fully up and running it may be longer for the i910 to reach that point.

Just way too many variables right now for anyone to be able to make a prediction about how long this will take. But I wouldn't get my hopes up about it happening in a few weeks or anything like that. I'd like to think that something "usable" should be possible within a few months - but there are so many issues that are both known and unknown that predicting it at this point just isn't possible.

Guest lantony
No, just make sure the first partition is a primary partition and it is ext2 (say 64-128MB, then you can create an extended partition with the rest of the drive with a single logical partition in the extended partition that can be fat32.

The ordering is crucial.

thanks man, changed the ext2 partition as primary and now i don't get that error anymore. But i am getting another one !!!!!

request_suspend_state: wakeup (0->0)

here the screen

cimg2902r.jpg

Guest vktor

Hey fella, I agree with the work you're doing to use Android in our omnia. is a great project and I am sure you are working hard to achieve.

I am writing to let you know I had a problem when trying to enter the Android. I did everything that goes into the manual and on the black screen telling me fail, error and so on. After restarting, and i try again and appear on the screen green stripes when the stripes were restarted on the screen below the image, as if the pixels are corrupted or something. I am shocked and off, remove the battery for a while and then when I turned it on still has slight traces, which were removed at time. I hope you put the warning and then check if this, is not what I expected. thanks for your attention and hope to continue on this promising project.

Victor B.

Guest youngbu
@youngbu

dont use andromnia with your phone! its for 240x400 resolution only!

you can brick you phone with wrong display settings!!!

if you are able to build andromnia from source you can do following steps to make it work:

checkout svn

edit .../andromnia_kernel/arch/arm/mach-pxa/sgh_i900.c

go to line 99/100

change xres & yres to the correct values.

maybe you have to modify the pixclock, too!

remember its high risk to try this!!!

greetings, fella

Thank you for your advice. :-D

maybe I can build, because I'm also a programmer. although I'm not a guru like you. ;-)

Yes, I'll edit that code before install.

And I'd like to appreciate your work.

If I had enough skill and enthusiasm, I could help you.

Edited by youngbu

Guest joža

any1 tried apps for android? :D

i've tried few of them only some work....

if you don't know, just copy downloaded apps (.apk) to system/app/ folder on SDcard

Guest semmtexx
Hey fella, I agree with the work you're doing to use Android in our omnia. is a great project and I am sure you are working hard to achieve.

I am writing to let you know I had a problem when trying to enter the Android. I did everything that goes into the manual and on the black screen telling me fail, error and so on. After restarting, and i try again and appear on the screen green stripes when the stripes were restarted on the screen below the image, as if the pixels are corrupted or something. I am shocked and off, remove the battery for a while and then when I turned it on still has slight traces, which were removed at time. I hope you put the warning and then check if this, is not what I expected. thanks for your attention and hope to continue on this promising project.

Victor B.

What in the world is you speakin' of mista?

do you all folks hear a buzzing sound behind the touchscreen when running android?

it's not in the speaker but behind the screen...i hope it doesn't burn my screen

yeah that noise scared the crap out of me the first time I heard it.. it bleeds through at the top of the screen, in the middle. they dont call it alpha for nothing. I wonder what chip/connector is in that spot?

Guest lantony
thanks man, changed the ext2 partition as primary and now i don't get that error anymore. But i am getting another one !!!!!

request_suspend_state: wakeup (0->0)

anybody got a solution for the error above ? also tried to reformat the sd and copy the files again :D

Edited by lantony

Guest joža
anybody got a solution for the error above ? also tried to reformat the sd and copy the files again :D

had this one when I didn't have all files in root (init, deafult etc....)

try with running nautilus in root (sudo nautilus in terminal) and copy all files few times

Guest taeksoo
had this one when I didn't have all files in root (init, deafult etc....)

try with running nautilus in root (sudo nautilus in terminal) and copy all files few times

I managed to get Android up on my Omnia today.

I'm no expert in Linux or anything so it took me a while.

My first try didn't work either... I realized that when I copied the files to SD Card (ext2) I just moved the files into it and I didn't 'eject' the drive. I just pulled it and didn't think much of it, since that's what I do on Windows. But, when copied the files to SD Card second time around (after formatting again) I ejected the drive this time and it actually copied the files to SD Card. It took like a min or so.

After that, I was able to run Android.

May you need to make sure all files are copied to your SD Card (ext2) under root.

BTW: Great job guys!!!! I'm soooo glad that there are developers for Omnia. The Android works nicely.. It screen flickers a little and touch is not always responsive and etc... but, over all it's pretty good port. I'll keep track of this thread and test all your releases and provide feedback.. least I can do ;) .. well only thing I can do :D

Edited by taeksoo