[Project] ANDROMNiA - Android on Omnia

Guest FeLLa_

Guest Downloaderz
Now it says

"ext2 fs warning..

freeing init memory:120k

warning failed to open on initial console.

Failed to execute/init.Attempting defaults...

kernel panic - not syncing. No init found. Try passing init= option to kernel."

Any solution ?

Im stuck with this error too. Using a 4GB Sandisk Micro SDHC card. Formated primary (only) partition to ext2 using gparted (with inode 128), and there's 4gb unused partition (dont think this matters?). What am I doing wrong?

Guest Girvo

I got her working! Yay!

I also got the "kernel panic-no init" error, I'll run you through the steps I took to correct it. This is under Ubuntu 9.04.

• Connect the omnia to the computer in mass storage mode
  • Open a terminal and run the command:
    sudo gparted
  • Reformat the SD card making sure the first partition is a Primary ext2 partition.
  • Go back to the terminal and run the command
    sudo nautilus

• Copy the extracted archive to the ext2 formatted SD Card
  • ---IMPORTANT---: Right click on the SD Card in Nautilus, and click "Unmount". The files will be written correctly.

Now, you just need to get HaReT on there, and you're away!

Edited by Girvo

Guest ddmddg
Im stuck with this error too. Using a 4GB Sandisk Micro SDHC card. Formated primary (only) partition to ext2 using gparted (with inode 128), and there's 4gb unused partition (dont think this matters?). What am I doing wrong?

I got the same error too. i also tried formating the SD card with gparted and no help. finally i did below to walk through this issue:

1. under linux, use "fdisk" to create partition on the SD card;

2. use "mkfs" to create ext2 file system;

3. use "tar" to extract the rootfs to SD card.

i guess above steps ensure a native ext2 file system and source files.

another tips is to disable the screen lock when u running Android. the default timeout is 1 min and you have to reset your phone in order to come back.

Guest Turborepu

yeah, i forgot about the unmounting part after extracting the first time.. lol.. I got it booted now.. pretty cool.. How the heck do i turn it off? i did a battery pull since i am not familiar with the menus. They have some nice wallpapers on it !

Guest renegadEE
;) great project when it will enter in beta stage.....it looks very nice on omnia

I think we're all wondering when there's coming a beta version :D I hope there will be a workable beta version (like the WM 6.5 beta) soon. But I'm afraid they still have a lot of work. First of all they need to fix the touch screen driver so it doesn't crash randomly, then they'll have to make drivers for the connections (which will be the biggest work I guess) and finaly they still have some work on the interface like fixing the 'lag' you get when there's an animation like when you're using the keyboard or when you enter the widget menu.

Maybe someone of the team could give some updates so we know on what they're working :D

Guest reds_dada_blue
I think we're all wondering when there's coming a beta version :D I hope there will be a workable beta version (like the WM 6.5 beta) soon. But I'm afraid they still have a lot of work. First of all they need to fix the touch screen driver so it doesn't crash randomly, then they'll have to make drivers for the connections (which will be the biggest work I guess) and finaly they still have some work on the interface like fixing the 'lag' you get when there's an animation like when you're using the keyboard or when you enter the widget menu.

Maybe someone of the team could give some updates so we know on what they're working ;)

It is good if they can provide some thing they are working on.So we can wait patiently. :D

Thanks for the team who are working on this project. :D

Guest Downloaderz
I got her working! Yay!

I also got the "kernel panic-no init" error, I'll run you through the steps I took to correct it. This is under Ubuntu 9.04.

• Connect the omnia to the computer in mass storage mode
  • Open a terminal and run the command:
    sudo gparted
  • Reformat the SD card making sure the first partition is a Primary ext2 partition.
  • Go back to the terminal and run the command
    sudo nautilus

• Copy the extracted archive to the ext2 formatted SD Card
  • ---IMPORTANT---: Right click on the SD Card in Nautilus, and click "Unmount". The files will be written correctly.

Now, you just need to get HaReT on there, and you're away!

Thanks guys, I managed to get past the error, but got to a point where I couldnt open the init console, and got errors about stopping clock or something. Tried formatting again but getting unrecognized disk label error in linux. Guess it's half dead as it's working on windows but not linux. Will try again when I get a new card, thanks for the help again.

Guest Turborepu

i got the stopping clock error too, but i started pressing hard keys.. and it stopped, then it booted.. I think it stopped when I pressed one of the volume keys.

Guest joža

it has no connection to buttons....it's just the way it is it happens only first time i think it's no big deal to discuss about :D

Guest Downloaderz
it has no connection to buttons....it's just the way it is it happens only first time i think it's no big deal to discuss about :D

Ah crap, didnt know that. Well I cant format my card to ext2 anymore, have to wait for another card to arrive.

Guest joža
Ah crap, didnt know that. Well I cant format my card to ext2 anymore, have to wait for another card to arrive.

patience is virtue my friend :D

next time just leave phone as is and go grab coffee or beer. if anything goes wrong it will restart by itself or your screen will be only black

Edited by joža

Guest semmtexx

2 quick questions here:

1: Will a 1 gig sd card be ok for this?

2: (there may be no answer for this yet) Eventually, when everything is working, will there be a way to wipe winmo from the omnia and have the Android as the only OS of the phone itself?

Thanks!

Guest Turborepu

yeah 1gb should be fine..

Downloaderz how come you cant format the card anymore? with gparted you should be able to do it.. just make sure you unmount the volume so you can then delete it or format it again..

Guest Downloaderz
yeah 1gb should be fine..

Downloaderz how come you cant format the card anymore? with gparted you should be able to do it.. just make sure you unmount the volume so you can then delete it or format it again..

I am not sure, I keep getting unrecognized disk label. I then tried to read it on Windows, and it asked to reformat so I did (to fat32/ntfs tried both cases). Then plugged it back to linux, it reads properly, but when I tried formatting to ext2 partition, I get the error and the format is gone (unallocated space/partition). Unmount the volume already.

I am not sure, I keep getting unrecognized disk label. I then tried to read it on Windows, and it asked to reformat so I did (to fat32/ntfs tried both cases). Then plugged it back to linux, it reads properly, but when I tried formatting to ext2 partition, I get the error and the format is gone (unallocated space/partition). Unmount the volume already.

I also had this problem with gparted recognizing the partition. So I instead used fdisk to delete, then recreate the partition. eject and plug it back in and you should be able to format it normally

Guest xxmadhatter

this. is plain and simply. pretty freaking amazing. if you need donations to help make this work on the verizon i900 omnia just point me to the donate button. i would love to be able to try this out with you guys

Guest muhlba91

hey guys!

is it normal that I don't get any service (I'm from austria - my provider is orange)?? this is awesome!!

but, I've another big problem:

although I don't get any service I want to have a ext2 partition for newer releases.

so I've tried to format my 4gb sd-card with two partitions:

the 1. one should be ext2 and the 2. one should be fat32, so that I can use a part of my card with window too.

but the problem is that gparted (in ubuntu) formats the ext2 partition well and it looks as if the fat32 partition is also being formated (there no error in any log file!). and when I format this partition with windows vista the 1. partition of this card is the fat32 and not the ext2! in fact it didn't boot!!

can anyone help me??

thx, daniel

Edited by muhlba91

Guest kramer65
this. is plain and simply. pretty freaking amazing. if you need donations to help make this work on the verizon i900 omnia just point me to the donate button. i would love to be able to try this out with you guys

Donations can be made on androidomnia.com .. :D

Edited by kramer65

Guest semmtexx
hey guys!

is it normal that I don't get any service (I'm from austria - my provider is orange)?? this is awesome!!

but, I've another big problem:

although I don't get any service I want to have a ext2 partition for newer releases.

so I've tried to format my 4gb sd-card with two partitions:

the 1. one should be ext2 and the 2. one should be fat32, so that I can use a part of my card with window too.

but the problem is that gparted (in ubuntu) formats the ext2 partition well and it looks as if the fat32 partition is also being formated (there no error in any log file!). and when I format this partition with windows vista the 1. partition of this card is the fat32 and not the ext2! in fact it didn't boot!!

can anyone help me??

thx, daniel

Hey Daniel, first off, there is no connectivity in this release. You can't make a phone call, no texting etc. because that portion just hasn't been developed yet. Same thing for the camera, bluetooth, wifi etc. Pretty much the only thing you can do is play around with the OS and I believe a few people have added a few Android apps, but the same thing goes for that as well - if the app you install uses any of the functions that still are yet to be developed, they will not work.

Second, I may be wrong but there is really no need to use windows to do any formatting. A few posts back there is a list of pretty good directions on how to do it if you've never used Ubuntu that much (like me). Basically, all you need to do is delete whatever partition is on the storage card. Make a 128 meg primary partition that is ext2. Make an extended partition on the remaining space. Then, that extended partition is just a big space that you can make a FAT32 partiition on top of (or inside i guess). Then follow the instructions as far as where all of the files belong (they go on the ext2). Basically, you have to do this (as far as I kno, correct me if I'm wrong) all on Ubuntu because windows only can access the FAT32 partition on you storage card. Now, that being said, you may run into some permissions issues when extracting the files in that one package to you storage card in Ubuntu. There is a wrk around for this a few pages back in this topic as well. It will be like 2 lines of code that you need to ener in the terminal. honestly until last night I didn't even know what Ubuntu was. Just make sure to choose the right device and don't wipe your hard disk haha. Hope this helps!!

Guest muhlba91
Hey Daniel, first off, there is no connectivity in this release. You can't make a phone call, no texting etc. because that portion just hasn't been developed yet. Same thing for the camera, bluetooth, wifi etc. Pretty much the only thing you can do is play around with the OS and I believe a few people have added a few Android apps, but the same thing goes for that as well - if the app you install uses any of the functions that still are yet to be developed, they will not work.

Second, I may be wrong but there is really no need to use windows to do any formatting. A few posts back there is a list of pretty good directions on how to do it if you've never used Ubuntu that much (like me). Basically, all you need to do is delete whatever partition is on the storage card. Make a 128 meg primary partition that is ext2. Make an extended partition on the remaining space. Then, that extended partition is just a big space that you can make a FAT32 partiition on top of (or inside i guess). Then follow the instructions as far as where all of the files belong (they go on the ext2). Basically, you have to do this (as far as I kno, correct me if I'm wrong) all on Ubuntu because windows only can access the FAT32 partition on you storage card. Now, that being said, you may run into some permissions issues when extracting the files in that one package to you storage card in Ubuntu. There is a wrk around for this a few pages back in this topic as well. It will be like 2 lines of code that you need to ener in the terminal. honestly until last night I didn't even know what Ubuntu was. Just make sure to choose the right device and don't wipe your hard disk haha. Hope this helps!!

thx!

basically I am working on linux too, but I've never formated disks after the installation before today!

then my problem was - I think - that I didn't created an extended partition for my fat32.

I'll test it in the following days!

Thx!

Guest semmtexx
thx!

basically I am working on linux too, but I've never formated disks after the installation before today!

then my problem was - I think - that I didn't created an extended partition for my fat32.

I'll test it in the following days!

Thx!

You bet!