[Project] ANDROMNiA - Android on Omnia

Guest FeLLa_

Guest lpachuong
yes i think all distros work all you have to do is to format your sd card to ext2/3 and copy rootfs to it. don't need larger than 100mb, 3gb is all sources download. just dl the one from link. haret goes to device, rootsfs to card

Hi guys,

what is the latest version available for andromonia and is it for i900 or i910

Guest scottath

with the help of geez and Tritt on the irc channel i got it going....

Nothing seems to work for me though....not even wifi - but i dont care - it looks nice and i have winmob 6.5 for everything else atm

great work guys - keep it up

Guest dwaino86
Hey mate, simplest set of steps ever here - http://www.andromnia.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=6

I'm about halfway through it cause had to go to work in between it compiling on a virtual Ubuntu box. From what I understand you can get away with formatting the microSD card with something like gParted.

Ta.

EDIT: holy crap, that made no sense at all! lol. maybe ill wait til its a bit more ... user friendly :)

Edited by dwaino86

Guest Zeski
Ta.

EDIT: holy crap, that made no sense at all! lol. maybe ill wait til its a bit more ... user friendly :)

Haha, I'm guessing you're not very well versed with Linux...

Well, a good start is to boot into Ubuntu. I would strongly suggest doing this in VMWare.

Guest FeLLa_

@smilegod

we are working on sense ui, too. but its harder than normal android.

and we are working on a very detailed "how to install" documentaion.

so much to do... give us some time guys :)

(working on sound, gsm, flash, fm tuner, documentation, power saving, other performance things, etc....

its too much for the moment...)

Guest smilegod
@smilegod

(working on sound, gsm, flash, fm tuner, documentation, power saving, other performance things, etc....

Thanks for your great job ;)

Guest ErGo_404
@smilegod

Having a functionnal cellphone would be great. FM tuner, power saving might be secundary.

You're doing a great job.

Guest psypher

cant wait for more development on this, bring some much needed life back to the omnia ;)

ill defo be using android from you guys once its all working properly and stuff :) The quality of the screen compared to winmo is jaw dropping.

Guest muhlba91

hey guys!

SMS isn't working for me!

Is there a special function to enable this?

After Android has started there was a screen, where I had to unlock my SIM card via my PIN. I don't know whether it works or not, but I didn't get any error.

Then I was writing an SMS, but obviously they weren't and aren't sent, because the SMS I've sent so far were never coming!

Has anybody a solution for this?

Info: my provider is (Orange AT - Austria)

And another question: How to reactivate android after it's going into sleep mode (or something else - phone is running, but the display is black and stays black when I press any key!)

Guest stirkac

hello guys it's Brandon Miniman from pocketnow.com... hahaha just kidding you :)

i have a little spare time(as you can see) so here i uploaded latest (157) revision of andromnia. it solved my problems using SMS and now sending&recieving works great.

so if you are having problems with sms try it ;)

and have a nice day ;)

Guest muhlba91

thx!

now SMS and telephone function works great!

but my problem is that I can't switch it into standby (or something else). And if I choose the option, that turns the screen automatically black, I didn't get the screen back! How can I switch my screen on after it got black?

and does anybody know or has the same problem, why my phone got enormous hot during running andromnia??

Guest stirkac
thx!

now SMS and telephone function works great!

but my problem is that I can't switch it into standby (or something else). And if I choose the option, that turns the screen automatically black, I didn't get the screen back! How can I switch my screen on after it got black?

and does anybody know or has the same problem, why my phone got enormous hot during running andromnia??

there is no power managment working currently so the best is to never let device to sleep -disable in settings. and this answer is for second question too. i think clock scaling doesnt work so it constantly runs @624mhz

Guest muhlba91
there is no power managment working currently so the best is to never let device to sleep -disable in settings. and this answer is for second question too. i think clock scaling doesnt work so it constantly runs @624mhz

thx! :)

great job, keep going! ;)

does anyone know if and when how I have to configure and install the HTC Hero mentioned by smilegod works on the omnia?

Guest flinter

Just 1 simple question. But I really like it guys, the effort you're putting in this project!

I like to try it, and I know how. BUT... when I run the harret and turn my mobile off/remove battery, and put it back on... Will my phone start in WM or android?

Guest Omnia-Winker

guys.

Am i missing some step here, I can boot into android no problem, activate WiFi and get on net.

However I get no request to set up my sim,

searching for networks just ends up in a constant loop

and sending a SMS just sits in the outbox waiting to send!!

Someone give me the heads up on how to test this step.

I am using the latest release from the post above.

Thanks in advance

Guest flinter
guys.

Am i missing some step here, I can boot into android no problem, activate WiFi and get on net.

Thanks in advance

Well, I do know that if you cant login/connect to your provider you wont be able to make calls or send text messages. I think that problem will be fixed when you can connect to your provider. Try to connect manuelly instead of auto?

Guest muhlba91
guys.

Thanks in advance

first: do you see the "SIM lock or Display lock" screen after booting android? If not, I think that android can't detect your SIM card.

But it's true that you can't search for GSM networks. It doesn't work for me too. But if you've unlocked the screen by tipping in your PIN, everything works fine. For sending SMS I recommend the program chompSMS (it's free, search via google and you'll find it), because the android SMS sending program doesn't work properly. If you can unlock your SIM card you can make a call too. (It doesn't matter that you don't see any provider information and that you can't search for networks!

maybe it would be helpful if you install android again so that you have the default settings.

Guest mr.bhola

Guys, i have now Ubuntu 9.04 On my pc.

But what have I to do now ??:|:|

Have I to click on Wubi ? and then there staying installation drive and installation size is 17 GB ??:|

what have I do to ?

And will my windows mobile 6.5 custom rom will stay ?

Guest renegadEE
Guys, i have now Ubuntu 9.04 On my pc.

But what have I to do now ??:|:|

Have I to click on Wubi ? and then there staying installation drive and installation size is 17 GB ??:|

what have I do to ?

And will my windows mobile 6.5 custom rom will stay ?

Yes your custom rom will stay. In Ubuntu you have to connect your phone as a Mass Storage Device (on your phone go to settins -> connections -> USB connections and then set it to Mass Storage). Then you start Gparted, the build-in partition program of Ubuntu, and format your SD Card as an EXT2 partition. If you did this you can copy the root files on that partition now and go back to Windows. In Windows you'll have to connect your phone with Active Sync again and put haret and the image file anywhere you like on the internal memory.

If you're having problems to copy the root files onto the EXT2 partition after formatting cause you don't have the permission, use the following command in Terminal: sudo chown username 'path' (path will probably be something like: /media/disk).

Guest mr.bhola
Yes your custom rom will stay. In Ubuntu you have to connect your phone as a Mass Storage Device (on your phone go to settins -> connections -> USB connections and then set it to Mass Storage). Then you start Gparted, the build-in partition program of Ubuntu, and format your SD Card as an EXT2 partition. If you did this you can copy the root files on that partition now and go back to Windows. In Windows you'll have to connect your phone with Active Sync again and put haret and the image file anywhere you like on the internal memory.

If you're having problems to copy the root files onto the EXT2 partition after formatting cause you don't have the permission, use the following command in Terminal: sudo chown username 'path' (path will probably be something like: /media/disk).

Oke but will my files delete on my storage card ?

Because you have to format your sd card as an EXT2. And where can i find the Gparted ?

And I have download Ubuntu live.

But how can I load it and where can I find it ? I see nothing on my desktop.

And have I download Gparted ?

Edited by mr.bhola

Guest andygreenough
i can't compile the image :S

this is all i get. what am i doing wrong?

seba@ubuntu:~/andromnia/andromnia_kernel$ make zImage

make: /home/seba/andromnia/andromnia_kernel/../../arm_cross_compiler/bin/arm-none-linux-gnueabi-gcc: Command not found

CHK include/linux/version.h

make[1]: `include/asm-arm/mach-types.h' is up to date.

CHK include/linux/utsrelease.h

SYMLINK include/asm -> include/asm-arm

CC kernel/bounds.s

/bin/sh: /home/seba/andromnia/andromnia_kernel/../../arm_cross_compiler/bin/arm-none-linux-gnueabi-gcc: not found

make[1]: *** [kernel/bounds.s] Error 127

make: *** [prepare0] Error 2

I'm getting this error too but have the latest source. I'd like to do some technical testing for you guys and perhaps even help on the project.

I am on AMD64 version of Ubuntu 9.04, will that be the cause of the cross compiler error?

Great work so far, you guys have come a long way in very little time.

NB: The current version seems to have the same makefile as the makefile fix which is why I am posting this.

Edited by andygreenough