Goodbye Omnia & ROMS - thanks for the experience...

Guest le.bouch

I still disagree regarding multitasking. After using the iPhone for almost 3 months, I haven't once felt the need for it.

I'm glad you're happy with the phone. :)

Just some examples for multitasking (iphone has it in a matter of fact, it is just not allowed for 3rd party applications):

1. messengers & calendar: I know-you'd say they are working fine. Yes, but only because of the good will of some web servers to "push" the events to your phone. And it is not the same as having the application taking care about them. Generally speaking iphone still has no good approach to the notifications - different reminders per event, scheduled continuous notifications, repeating reminders, etc. If there was a multitasking allowed perhaps would have been better.

2. navigation - if you drive a get a phone call what happens with the navigation?

3. even Safari has issues with the multitasking (kind of)- if you open several web pages in tabs and switch back and forth - the browser doesn't keep them as they are opened - it simply refreshes them as it was closed and restarted! Perhaps a website has just given me a confirmation code and if I want to check smth else immediately - the web page & code are lost. (I don't know if you simply jump between the safari and mail, whether that would happen-good if it doesn't, but between the safari tabs it does it)

So it is a needed feature, if we want to go further...Apple knows it and has done it for its software...but the rest is simply ignored as it's not needed-we all know to where that approach leads mid and long term.

P.S. I don't own and iphone - all I'm saying is from what I've seen on friends' iphones. correct me if I got smth wrong or they have smth wrongly setup.

Edited by DLCI

Guest Unisoldrew
I'm glad you're happy with the phone. :)

Just some examples for multitasking (iphone has it in a matter of fact, it is just not allowed for 3rd party applications):

1. messengers & calendar: I know-you'd say they are working fine. Yes, but only because of the good will of some web servers to "push" the events to your phone. And it is not the same as having the application taking care about them. Generally speaking iphone still has no good approach to the notifications - different reminders per event, scheduled continuous notifications, repeating reminders, etc. If there was a multitasking allowed perhaps would have been better.

2. navigation - if you drive a get a phone call what happens with the navigation?

3. even Safari has issues with the multitasking (kind of)- if you open several web pages in tabs and switch back and forth - the browser doesn't keep them as they are opened - it simply refreshes them as it was closed and restarted! Perhaps a website has just given me a confirmation code and if I want to check smth else immediately - the web page & code are lost. (I don't know if you simply jump between the safari and mail, whether that would happen-good if it doesn't, but between the safari tabs it does it)

So it is a needed feature, if we want to go further...Apple knows it and has done it for its software...but the rest is simply ignored as it's not needed-we all know to where that approach leads mid and long term.

P.S. I don't own and iphone - all I'm saying is from what I've seen on friends' iphones. correct me if I got smth wrong or they have smth wrongly setup.

1) I agree, it would be nice if I had a suitable app to sync my Outlook Tasks. I do have a good app but doesn't sync to my Microsoft Exchange account. Maybe something will appear soon?

2) Not sure but looking at getting the Tom Tom app/cradle soon. I read to automatically switches to hands-free (with the cradle anyhow) and straight back to navigation. Having not tried it yet I assume you can speak and see the navigation at the same time?

3) Not sure as haven't explored Safari to that degree.

I'm sure there are more small annoyances with iPhone but most should be resolved with updates and that's where the iPhone really shines. Most of the good app's are updated regularly.

I still think the benefits MASSIVELY outweigh the few issues mentioned.

Guest tacchan23

I simply think it's not fair to compare a new 3GS to a i900... not just for the price difference but for the time of release^^

Of course the tweaking/modding is integral part of the life of a WinMo or even Android phone, so if you don't like it I can understand the preference toward the iPhone. That said, personally I'd take a Omnia2 or a HTC HD2 or a Nexus One over the iPhone without thinking even half second^^

Guest Unisoldrew
That said, personally I'd take a Omnia2 or a HTC HD2 or a Nexus One over the iPhone without thinking even half second^^

Why?

Have you ever used an iPhone?

Why?

Have you ever used an iPhone?

I had and I agree with tacchan23. The only good thing that I found on an IPhone was multitouch. Everything else has been pretty much surpassed with the latest batch of phones.

Guest Unisoldrew
I had and I agree with tacchan23. The only good thing that I found on an IPhone was multitouch. Everything else has been pretty much surpassed with the latest batch of phones.

You're joking surely?!?!

I think most of the latest batch will just come and go like any other.

I challenge you to name 1 phone that will stand the test of time and be as widely supported as iPhone.

You're joking surely?!?!

I think most of the latest batch will just come and go like any other.

I challenge you to name 1 phone that will stand the test of time and be as widely supported as iPhone.

Wait, you're mixing here devices with platforms. All devices have a life-cycle and are past within several years. Iphone 2G, 3G and actually 3GS (as soon as the next one was announced/spotted 3GS price dropped by 150 euro here) are already in the past as well.

What you most probably want to point out is the platform? Well, here I'm afraid, things are not that simple.

Yes, for iphone you have tons of applications, but all of them are either replacement of a good web page/service (all these magazine apps, TV apps, cooking apps, etc. crap) or exist for more than 1 platform (tomtom, igo, etc.). Or both. You can't possibly judge which platform is superior, as you have the same functionality at the end, brought by a 3rd party. "User experience" is simply a trend and market roles here can change within months - before were sliders, then blackberry-style keyboards, now touchscreens..who knows what will be tomorrow-voice perhaps?

What is remarkable is that the iphone application development went faster than expected, but hey, it is the same with Android..who can predict what will be with next symbian or WM or whatever comes? All mobile OSes will become better as that's the future- mobile. But no single device will remain as HW has to become better each and every year.

And not all the customers like the Apple's "one device&functionality for all" approach - It's a fact that Nokia is selling more smartphones in a quarter, than actually Apple did in 4 years. Apple has managed to introduce a good touchscreen trend, but I bet people won't stay for too long on that-it's not the natural way of doing the things while you're on the way :)

The point is whenever someone has to buy a new smartphone he/she has to consider ~600 euros and whatever he/she picks up, will have a lifetime of 2 years...the rest is not important. B)

Edited by DLCI

Guest Unisoldrew
The point is whenever someone has to buy a new smartphone he/she has to consider ~600 euros and whatever he/she picks up, will have a lifetime of 2 years...the rest is not important. :)

I know, it's a tricky decision - however, I feel more confident the iPhone will see me through 2 years than anything else out there.

It wasn't such a difficult process for me though as I got the 32GB 3GS FREE along with £160 cash back on the Omnia.