[APP] EverApp V0.2 - Application persistence under WM6.x

Guest zman919

Guest zagzag99
Interesting. There must be a timing issue or a race condition that is causing the logic to fall down.

Wanna be a guinea pig? :)

Go to HKLM\Software\EverApp and set debug to 1. Restart the EA protection service through the UI. Then play with EA enough to reproduce the problem. Stop the EA protection service. Reset the registry key to 0.

Send me debug.log from the application directory. (You can post here if you want, there's nothing confidential in it). I might be able to diagnose the failure from that. Otherwise I'll install FingerPoint and see if I can reproduce.

Format for the shortcut would be: \full\path\to\EACmdLine.exe show "\full\path\to\target"

Thanks,

Z

I don't have : HKLM\Software\EverApp

I tried to create one, and I created a value debug (DWORD) = 1

Doesn't seem to make any debug.log in EverApp's folder.

Guest zagzag99
Sorry... HKLM\Software\zman818\EverApp

:)

Here's the Log.

From what it says it can't protect FingerPoint because there's no Main Window.

The scenario I debugged:

I've added FingerPoint.exe to the protected list.

Started EverApp.

Started the Service.

Launched FingerPoint.exe for the first time (via assigned button).

Minimized FingerPoint.exe (it's still runs in background)

Relaunced FingerPoint.exe via button -> Nothing happens... (x2)

Switched to EverApp and Activated FingerPoint.exe from EverApp -> that's works.

Closed EAService.

Closed EverApp.

debug.log.txt

Edited by zagzag99

Guest zman919

Thanks. The log isn't showing a problem, so I'll have to roll up my sleeves and look into it. FYI - EverApp will have a trouble with apps that work like this...

1) Launch executable (which is really just a helper process)

2) Helper checks for presence of the actual Worker process. If it exists, it raises the Worker processes' window. If it doesn't exist, it launches Worker process (and raises its window).

3) Helper process then dies.

In this case under EverApp, the Worker process is detected by the Helper, but since we've rejiggered the Worker processes' window in a pretty significant way, the Helper process can't raise the window. This may or may not be what's happening with FingerPoint. I'll try to dope it out. Thanks.

From what it says it can't protect FingerPoint because there's no Main Window.

The No Main Window just indicates that the process it's protecting doesn't (yet) have a main window, usually because it's still starting up.

Guest zman919
Relaunced FingerPoint.exe via button -> Nothing happens... (x2)

Oh... hang on. Remember, FingerPoint.exe is already running (and protected by EverApp). This may just be WM and/or FingerPoint itself detecting (and preventing) multiple instances. Alternatively, FingerPoint may *think* its redisplaying its window on the second launch, but since it's not aware that it's being protected by EverApp it isn't able to.

Your best bet would be to launch FingerPoint via EACmdLine.exe.

Guest zagzag99
Format for the shortcut would be: \full\path\to\EACmdLine.exe show "\full\path\to\target"

Using the EACmdLine I can make FingerPoint keep appearing.

There's the slight delay of command execution but one can live with that.

Thanks, now I can protect my launcher and today screen from getting killed.

I am waiting for the first time I'll get a message "Out of Memory" :-)

Guest naynada
Update - next version will enhance the list with a full-fledged task manager + app launcher.

Looking forward to it. When you say task manager, do you mean ala HTC Taskmanager/Showcase etc? If so, that would be excellent.

Also, I found that EverApp was not able to successfully "manage duplicates" with Nitrogen... =/

Edited by naynada

Guest zman919
Looking forward to it. When you say task manager, do you mean ala HTC Taskmanager/Showcase etc? If so, that would be excellent.

Also, I found that EverApp was not able to successfully "manage duplicates" with Nitrogen... =/

Precisely. Still working out the kinks, but EA will be able to function as an App Launcher independent of window protection. Additionally, EA can monitor all running tasks (again, independent of protection). Items will be color-keyed based on what they are/how they're handled.

As for Nitrogen, I'll have to look at it. Thanks.

Z

Guest NewKlNGjames

thank you so much for the program. it really is a life saver. I found a push email program called emoze, that kept getting killed, resulting in no email at all! no problems since I installed.

Guest zman919
thank you so much for the program. it really is a life saver. I found a push email program called emoze, that kept getting killed, resulting in no email at all! no problems since I installed.

Thanks. Glad it helped!

Guest johnny2678
Just a little teaser of what's coming in v0.3. I've forgotten how much fun (not) writing custom CF controls is.... :D

Excited to check it out!

Guest naynada
Just a little teaser of what's coming in v0.3. I've forgotten how much fun (not) writing custom CF controls is.... :D

Looks great Z.

Hmm... I take it all those processes listed are actually running (and not simply icons, like the launcher of 0.2)?

Also, will the EverApp task manager be accessed by a shortcut like in 0.1, 0.2, or tray icon like HTC TaskMan?

Very teasing indeed :angry:

Guest zman919
Looks great Z.

Hmm... I take it all those processes listed are actually running (and not simply icons, like the launcher of 0.2)?

Also, will the EverApp task manager be accessed by a shortcut like in 0.1, 0.2, or tray icon like HTC TaskMan?

Very teasing indeed :D

Correct, v 0.3 can show (optionally) 3 sets of apps: protected apps (traditional EverApp), managed apps (think app launcher) and running processes (think task manager). Currently its still accessed by a shortcut or button. I have to read up on subclassing the status bar before I go any further in that direction.

Should be releasing by end of week.

Z

Correct, v 0.3 can show (optionally) 3 sets of apps: protected apps (traditional EverApp), managed apps (think app launcher) and running processes (think task manager). Currently its still accessed by a shortcut or button. I have to read up on subclassing the status bar before I go any further in that direction.

Should be releasing by end of week.

Z

:D

Guest NewKlNGjames

still working great for my email app, however I am now having problems with my podcast app, beyondpod. every time I activate it from everapp it opens like the first time, and as soon as I leave the program it closes ala the rest of my programs not in everapp. any ideas?

Guest zman919
still working great for my email app, however I am now having problems with my podcast app, beyondpod. every time I activate it from everapp it opens like the first time, and as soon as I leave the program it closes ala the rest of my programs not in everapp. any ideas?

Rather than try to diagnose, it's probably best to wait for v0.3. I re-wrote and stabilized a lot of the app capture/protect logic. It may work better for you, and if not should be easier to diagnose with it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...