10/Mar 3.2 - MoDaCo Custom ROM for GSM Hero (now with online kitchen)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Calculon
hi all.

is it just me or has anyone else noticed that digital zoom has suddenly vanished from MCR? i remember zooming in with my stock HTC 2.73.xxx ROM but in a couple of recent instances when i was taking photos from my camera i tried to zoom in with the trackball but it wouldnt.

i am running MCR 2.9 on a HTC Hero.

You can still zoom in MCR 2.9, but not with the trackball. Just swipe your finger across the screen to zoom in MCR 2.9.

First of all, I'd like to give a mention of thanks to the guys involved in providing these customisation options, the work is appreciated, and I find a whole new world of handset modifications opening up to me. Good stuff.

Anyway, the point of the post; I've 'rooted' my HTC Hero, and updated the Modaco latest ROM. All the instructions I found online were clear enough, but I'm not quite sure about updating the radio? Why does that need to be done? Any links to a step by step to get it done?

After the update, I was surprised to see the basic OS on the phone is still 1.5, in my ignorance I had assumed the custom ROM was some kind of update to this? Also, now my handset is 'rooted' will that make unlocking simpler? Or is it already unlocked? (I have the Hero on TMob)

Again, thanks to all, once I've finished updating all that's necessary to do on the Hero, I'm off to mess around with the Magic :-)

After update radio, the mobile signal quality and strength will be improved especially with the latest Radio (IU). The update can be done as same as ROM update.

1. Download latest radio zip file (can find from the first post)

2. rename it to update.zip and put it to SD (mount via USB)

3. Boot phone in recovery mode and apply update.zip

4. Complete and then reboot >> will show an image of ROM download to phone (wait until goto HERO sign)

5. It will then go back to recovery mode again for final reboot

6. DONE

1.5 is the android version of HERO. It will be updated to 2.0 soon as htc informed a couple week ago.

Guest sinnadyr
Try connecting with "adb logcat" just after powering on your phone. Then look at exception messages, especially at the very moment that the phone reboots. That might give you a hint, as of which system app crashes. Then reboot to recovery mode, and delete that app's settings directory, under /data/data.

Edit: If all else fails, just download the trial version of "MyBackup Pro", backup everything it can, then do your upgrade (with wipe) and then restore what you need, from the backup.

Havent actually found out how to use adb, or even what adb actually is other then a console application to do several stuff on my phone. Is there any guides around? And can it be used from GNU/Linux? I am able to boot windows, but would really appreciate to be able doing it with Ubuntu.

Thanks for all your answers!

Please check out my forum thread to help me further :)

Guest masterpfa
Hi,

No, it's either /data/init.sh (exists for all users) or /system/sd/userinit.sh (possible for apps2sd users only).

You have the ext2/3/4 partition for apps2sd, so either one will work for you :-)

Thanks for instructions on this, dalvik-cache moved and all's good on the HTC Hero :)

You can still zoom in MCR 2.9, but not with the trackball. Just swipe your finger across the screen to zoom in MCR 2.9.

yup. thats right. thanks for the help calculon

Guest Jay3gsm
After update radio, the mobile signal quality and strength will be improved especially with the latest Radio (IU). The update can be done as same as ROM update.

1. Download latest radio zip file (can find from the first post)

2. rename it to update.zip and put it to SD (mount via USB)

3. Boot phone in recovery mode and apply update.zip

4. Complete and then reboot >> will show an image of ROM download to phone (wait until goto HERO sign)

5. It will then go back to recovery mode again for final reboot

6. DONE

1.5 is the android version of HERO. It will be updated to 2.0 soon as htc informed a couple week ago.

Many thanks for your reply, very helpful. :)

Hi All just wanted to share a problem I found with 2.9, Fantastic ROMs paul, thanks for all the work,

But after I flashed 2.9 enhanced my server connection on exchange activesync no longer worked, but when I restored back to 2.8 it was fine.

Just wondered if anyone else had experienced this?

I really want to go to 2.9 as it was superb in all other ways but I need those damn e mails...

Hi paul or anyone, any ideas on this, ive wiped and reinstalled but still no good, looks like i'll be staying on 2.8

Hi All just wanted to share a problem I found with 2.9, Fantastic ROMs paul, thanks for all the work,

But after I flashed 2.9 enhanced my server connection on exchange activesync no longer worked, but when I restored back to 2.8 it was fine.

Just wondered if anyone else had experienced this?

I don't have any problem with Exchange active sync.

I don't know if it mather, but I upgraded from HTC Stock version and did a wipe before updating, and I've no problems at all.

Very satisfied and a smooth upgrade.

Thanks Paul and Teknologist!

/Andreas

Guest Jay3gsm

After updating the radio settings on my Hero, I have an ongoing data notification in the status bar, the info just says loading data, please wait. It's been like that for an hour or so now, nothing has happened, I had to reboot to, the icon is still there, doing nothing.

Anyone an idea what it could be?

Thanks

Guest Jay3gsm
Jay3gsm - sounds like weatherbug?

P

Hey Paul,

Spot on, many thanks. All round, in fact, to all who have posted in this thread, I've learnt a few useful hints.

:)

Guest dwattsy21
Hi,

It is as simple as before. Just do a nandroid backup (in recovery mode menu) to be safe. No need for adb, unless you want to hack a few more things.

Thanks for the reply Keramidas

Guest BoogWeed

What a marathon! I just caught of up this on this thread (page 89 - 125) after being away for a while.

I have been using MCR since 1.4.1 and just upgraded to 2.9 + new IU radio.

Everything SEEMS to be working fine but I've noticed that some pre MCR2.9 posts mention changing the sizes of the partitions to 64mb swap file and updating ext3 to ext4 before applying the new kernel.

Does this also apply when upgrading to 2.9?

I've come from 2.8 + original kernel and I have the standard:

Partition1 = 7.4gb fat32

Partitino2 = 512mb ext3

Partition3 = 32mb swap

All seems ok.... Am I good to carry on or will this cause problems in the future?

On a side note, since 2.7 (and still in 2.9) whenever I end any call, even if its a 1 second call I get the error message:

Sorry! This application Not Call Log prefs (process com.visicor.nolog) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again. [Force Close]

It doesn't seem to actually affect anything, but it's getting a little annoying. does anyone else have this problem or know of a fix?

Thanks

Keep up the excellent work Paul/Teknologist!!

Guest Keramidas
What a marathon! I just caught of up this on this thread (page 89 - 125) after being away for a while.

I have been using MCR since 1.4.1 and just upgraded to 2.9 + new IU radio.

Everything SEEMS to be working fine but I've noticed that some pre MCR2.9 posts mention changing the sizes of the partitions to 64mb swap file and updating ext3 to ext4 before applying the new kernel.

Does this also apply when upgrading to 2.9?

I've come from 2.8 + original kernel and I have the standard:

Partition1 = 7.4gb fat32

Partitino2 = 512mb ext3

Partition3 = 32mb swap

All seems ok.... Am I good to carry on or will this cause problems in the future?

On a side note, since 2.7 (and still in 2.9) whenever I end any call, even if its a 1 second call I get the error message:

Sorry! This application Not Call Log prefs (process com.visicor.nolog) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again. [Force Close]

It doesn't seem to actually affect anything, but it's getting a little annoying. does anyone else have this problem or know of a fix?

Thanks

Keep up the excellent work Paul/Teknologist!!

Hi,

Yes you are good to go. Just ensure that the Swapper application is not installed, and that you have at least 30 MB free on /data, before upgrading.

Your swap partition will not be used, so you could remove it anytime you want. But it doesn't hurt if you keep it.

Guest BoogWeed
Hi,

Yes you are good to go. Just ensure that the Swapper application is not installed, and that you have at least 30 MB free on /data, before upgrading.

Your swap partition will not be used, so you could remove it anytime you want. But it doesn't hurt if you keep it.

That's great, thanks a lot! :)

Guest Pieronip

Just upgraded to 2.9 ROM and latest radio and wanted to say thanks for the efforts. Radio update has boosted my reported signal strength from one bar to four!

The ROM is very speedy and contains lots of good stuff.

I am using a plain FAT32 SDcard. Should this be partitioned? Is there a how-to guide you can point me to to say how this is done (n00b here)?

Thanks.

Can someone point me in the direction of a blog/post of what i should be doing with my SD card in terms of partitions?

I am running 2.8, i'll update to 2.9 tomorrow, however my phone's sd card is just 1 large partition - should this be seperated in to apps/swap/main or something?

also, I only have 50mb free on my phone, i think thats because all my apps are installed on main memory. How do I move apps to sd card?

EDIT: need to update my recovery image to 1.2.3 i.e here: http://theunlockr.com/2009/10/15/how-to-fl...already-rooted/

However, once this is done, do I then backup sd card, format in to 3, then instal version 2.9? Will i have to uninstal then reinstal all my apps to move them to SD card or is there an option for this under settings - > applications once 2.9+partition is there to move them?

Edited by IZIIZI

Guest DickieUK
Can someone point me in the direction of a blog/post of what i should be doing with my SD card in terms of partitions?

I am running 2.8, i'll update to 2.9 tomorrow, however my phone's sd card is just 1 large partition - should this be seperated in to apps/swap/main or something?

also, I only have 50mb free on my phone, i think thats because all my apps are installed on main memory. How do I move apps to sd card?

EDIT: need to update my recovery image to 1.2.3 i.e here: http://theunlockr.com/2009/10/15/how-to-fl...already-rooted/

However, once this is done, do I then backup sd card, format in to 3, then instal version 2.9? Will i have to uninstal then reinstal all my apps to move them to SD card or is there an option for this under settings - > applications once 2.9+partition is there to move them?

no need for a swap partition bud, but wont hurt it if u wanna do the easiest thing and select the partition option from recovery mode... (backup ur SD and restore to the new FAT partition)

apps 2 sd will auto move the apps, just make sure u wait for the itial boot to finsish, dont switch it off, it takes longer the more apps u have.

recheck ur internal memory after to see the results, should be as before minus the apps + bout 30meg...

Dickie.

edit. u may have an issue with swapper if u already have it installed, make sure u remove it before jumpin' to 2.9, it uses a different kernel which renders it redundant but can cause a reboot loop.

Edited by DickieUK

no need for a swap partition bud, but wont hurt it if u wanna do the easiest thing and select the partition option from recovery mode... (backup ur SD and restore to the new FAT partition)

apps 2 sd will auto move the apps, just make sure u wait for the itial boot to finsish, dont switch it off, it takes longer the more apps u have.

recheck ur internal memory after to see the results, should be as before minus the apps + bout 30meg...

Dickie.

edit. u may have an issue with swapper if u already have it installed, make sure u remove it before jumpin' to 2.9, it uses a different kernel which renders it redundant but can cause a reboot loop.

Thanks for the reply Dickie.

You say there is no need for a swap partition, i thought that this helps with speed? If not, would i only need two partitions - apps + data?

Edited by IZIIZI

Guest DickieUK
Thanks for the reply Dickie.

You say there is no need for a swap partition, i thought that this helps with speed? If not, would i only need two partitions - apps + data?

just apps & data is fine, the included kernel doesn't use swap files based on sd partition, check out its dedicated thread

http://android.modaco.com/content/htc-hero...pache-ramzswap/

its all explained

Dickie