10/Mar 3.2 - MoDaCo Custom ROM for GSM Hero (now with online kitchen)

Guest PaulOBrien

Anyone can explain how to remove the widgets from my Hero?

I removed the apps as instrcuted in frontpage but how to remove corresponding widgets from it ?

exactly the same way? telling us where exactly you are stuck might help us.

Guest _unknown_
exactly the same way? telling us where exactly you are stuck might help us.

Well the frontpage instructions only mention the apps itself.

Android is pretty new for me so i have totaly no idea where to find corresponding widgets off them, i know that stock has a widget.

Was also wondering if you could remove email since i use google's email app.

Or better, is there a list of stuff to NOT remove at all.

This topic keeps leaving me way behind :)

I still have a problem with a particular hero, it's a stock HTC supplied one. A while back I installed 2.8 which installed and booted OK but I had no signal at all, the signal indicators didn't even appear. In stock form it's absolutely fine. Anyway, I did a nandroid restore back to original factory settings and all is working again.

Tonight I was bored so I thought I'd have another go, this time with 2.9.

It installed OK but when I rebooted it got stuck in an endless loop between the htc logo and the HERO logo screen.

Exactly the same copy of 2.9 installed and ran absolutely fine on my G2.

So what's going on with this recalcitrant hero? Is there anything else I should try?

I'm thinking of installing the generic HTC upgrade (from their site) and then putting 2.9 on top of that, not that it should make any difference I suppose.

What does everyone else think I should do?

have you wiped all your data (format) before flashing?

Android is pretty new for me so i have totaly no idea where to find corresponding widgets off them, i know that stock has a widget.

widgets are in the same directory as the apps are, just check the contents. but before that you might wanna gain some linux knowledge, which you are obviously lacking, otherwise you *will* f*ck up your hero (will probably happen anyway, so be prepared)...

Guest zero.vishnu

3G/HSDPA doesn't work with my Hero. Anyone have any suggestions? Im new. I installed the latest recovery image by RA (1.3.2 GSM), wiped my phone, installed the Modaco 2.9 ROM, and then installed the latest radio rom.

Everything seems fine, except 3G/HSDPA. When i restore my Nandroid image of my original system, it works.

Guest Luffarn

Hi,

First off, thanks for a fantastic custom ROM :)

I got one issue though, since MCR 2.7 (I think), I cant find a certain application called Remoid RDP on Android Market.

I have talked with other peaoples running Hero's stock ROM and they can find the application on the market.

Can someone useing MCR test to search for Remoid RDP to see if it's because of the ROM I cant find it.

Thanks in advance,

Luffarn

Edited by Luffarn

Can someone useing MCR test to search for Remoid RDP to see if it's because of the ROM I cant find it.

Thanks in advance,

Luffarn

I use 2.8 and can find Remoid RDP at Market

Guest worcester4x4
3G/HSDPA doesn't work with my Hero. Anyone have any suggestions? Im new. I installed the latest recovery image by RA (1.3.2 GSM), wiped my phone, installed the Modaco 2.9 ROM, and then installed the latest radio rom.

Everything seems fine, except 3G/HSDPA. When i restore my Nandroid image of my original system, it works.

I had a very similar experience when I installed 2.8.

No reception at all, with or without the new radio installed.

As soon as I restored it was perfectly fine again :)

Guest Luffarn
I use 2.8 and can find Remoid RDP at Market

thanks for reply.

that's odd. Could it depend on carrier?

Is MCR 2.8 aviable for download somewhere so I can try it out?

Same problem here. Stock HTC Hero stuck in an endless reboot when trying to install 2.8 or 2.9.

I had the same problem, even after wiping the device. Eventually I sorted the problem out by reformatting my SD card as FAT32 and then used Amon's RA-hero-v1.3.2 Recovery Rom to repartition the SD card. Once this was done the device booted properly and I could copy everything back to the FAT partition on the SD card (which I had obviously backed up first).

Guest worcester4x4
I had the same problem, even after wiping the device. Eventually I sorted the problem out by reformatting my SD card as FAT32 and then used Amon's RA-hero-v1.3.2 Recovery Rom to repartition the SD card. Once this was done the device booted properly and I could copy everything back to the FAT partition on the SD card (which I had obviously backed up first).

Do you mean that you formatted the card after you installed the ROM and then the phone booted up OK? Or do you meant that you formatted the card first before doing any of the installs?

Guest stevenz
I do agree, after using 2.9 for a week, I went back to 2.8 + my 1.8 kernel addon and it just feels a lot smoother...

I've made an all-in-one script that uses a variant of the usual adb and fastboot script(s) to do the entire process of "upgrading" a Hero from stock to Amon Ra 1.3.2 Recovery + MoDaCo 2.8 + Teknologist 1.8 + Radio pack. I'm just wondering if replacing the boot.img file in the MoDaCo package is all I need to replace to integrate the 1.8 kernel, or are some of the sub-files sensitive to the installation? (The only obvious difference I can see in the install script is a "3" instead of a "2" in your script for the progress, no idea if it makes any meaningful difference?).

If I can do the whole job in the minimum number of steps it'd obviously be preferable, I should be able to get it to create a complete install (update.zip) package on the fly based on parameters (e.g. install 2.8 or 2.9, use MoDaCo or Teknologist kernel, install which radio version, etc).

I think the only thing that really needs to be done separately is the modded recovery image. In theory I could make the entire thing reasonably idiot proof (a higher-grade of idiot notwithstanding)

Would an all-in-one package like this be useful to people? I can wrap a simple GUI around it rather than making it all console-based, I'm sure I can cannabilise one of my other projects to get it done fairly quickly. Any point, or should people really learn how to do this kind of stuff themselves? (Well, they obviously _should_, whether they want to is another story).

Thanks to Paul & yourself for all your hard work, it's greatly appreciated!

Guest Luffarn
thanks for reply.

that's odd. Could it depend on carrier?

Is MCR 2.8 aviable for download somewhere so I can try it out?

I downgraded to MCR 2.8 but still cant find Remoid RDP or Seesmic on the market.

Guest teknologist
I've made an all-in-one script that uses a variant of the usual adb and fastboot script(s) to do the entire process of "upgrading" a Hero from stock to Amon Ra 1.3.2 Recovery + MoDaCo 2.8 + Teknologist 1.8 + Radio pack. I'm just wondering if replacing the boot.img file in the MoDaCo package is all I need to replace to integrate the 1.8 kernel, or are some of the sub-files sensitive to the installation? (The only obvious difference I can see in the install script is a "3" instead of a "2" in your script for the progress, no idea if it makes any meaningful difference?).

If I can do the whole job in the minimum number of steps it'd obviously be preferable, I should be able to get it to create a complete install (update.zip) package on the fly based on parameters (e.g. install 2.8 or 2.9, use MoDaCo or Teknologist kernel, install which radio version, etc).

I think the only thing that really needs to be done separately is the modded recovery image. In theory I could make the entire thing reasonably idiot proof (a higher-grade of idiot notwithstanding)

Would an all-in-one package like this be useful to people? I can wrap a simple GUI around it rather than making it all console-based, I'm sure I can cannabilise one of my other projects to get it done fairly quickly. Any point, or should people really learn how to do this kind of stuff themselves? (Well, they obviously _should_, whether they want to is another story).

Thanks to Paul & yourself for all your hard work, it's greatly appreciated!

My kernel update packages installs the boot.img which is the kernel+ramdisk, the modules in /system/lib/modules (recently I added a /system/lib/modules symlink to /system/lib/modules/2.6.27-mck-teknologist-1.9 so I can use modprobe/rmmod etc. Haven't published as it is just a small thing anyone can do using adb shell) and the custom ramzswap and tun init script located in /system/init.d/ramzswap.sh

That's pretty much all...

about the progress bar I think it's just for the fancy display of progression (which is not a real progression therefore!) ...

Cheers!

Guest teknologist

only thing I can tell is don't remove the bundled MMS/SMS app.

I use Handcent's excellent MMS/SMS replacement app and after removing stock MMS/SMS I failed to receive any new messages...putting the apks back and rebooting fixed it...

So don't remove those MMS/SMA apks.

For the rest, one I always remove is the HTC Mail app (I use K9 Mail, latest versions feature push for *any* IMAP server that supports IDLE command, pretty awesome if you ask me! ) and its widget...because they are slow and not very good at doing their job! ;-)

Guest maxwells_daemon

I don't know if this helps, but I also had the problem with continuous reboots after upgrading from MDC 2.2 to 2.9. I was able to fix it by doing a wipe (I tried this before reverting to my original nandroid backup and upgrading again), but prefer not to lose my settings (even MyBackup Pro doesn't save everything).

With a little hacking, I was able to fix the rebooting without a wipe. I connected via the USB cable (works fine even while the phone UI is going up and down like a yoyo) and fixed the crashing database:

adb shell

# sqlite3 /data/data/com.android.providers.htcCheckin/databases/htcCheckin.db

sqlite> CREATE TABLE message (_id INTEGER PRIMARY KEY AUTOINCREMENT,link TEXT UNIQUE,version TEXT UNIQUE,feature TEXT UNIQUE);

sqlite> .quit

# reboot
Alternatively, it's probably fine to completely remove that file, rather than just fixing it, ie.
 # rm /data/data/com.android.providers.htcCheckin/databases/htcCheckin.db

# reboot
(htcCheckin.db seems to keep a log of system activity, so probably isn't so vital.) Anyway, with that I no longer get the reboots. I'll have to use the phone for a bit before finding out whether there are any more wrinkles. And, while I'm here, I might as well mention that previously I'd upgraded from stock 1.76.405.6 to MDC 2.2 without a wipe. That worked fine, except for a few wrinkles. I had to reinstall Google Maps and setup the Exchange synch again. The main problem was that the Messages app would hang when opening a thread. The fix was to back it up with MyBackup Pro, delete /data/data/com.android.providers.telephony/databases/mmssms.db , and then restore. Maybe I could have fixed it without needing MyBackup:
 # sqlite3 /data/data/com.android.providers.telephony/databases/mmssms.db

sqlite> ALTER TABLE sms ADD COLUMN index_on_sim INTEGER;

but I didn't try that.

Apart from that, everything worked beautifully and I kept all my settings :)

Tim.

please can someone help me. after installing & uninstalling of hero rom 2.8 2.9

i cannt find the solution my program seem to disappear fix_permissions command doesnt work

whenever i install paul's custom rom google maps disappear after first boot. i have reverted back to stock rom now but appreciate if someone can really help me here

hey just to let u all know that i have changed my sd card & parted with gparted & every damn problem was solved i must say thank u very much paul u have done the great job

thank u very much & all of u by which help even a person who doesnt know a damn thing about linux & android could do this.

i again congratulate u all for the great job.

Edited by dr_ysp

Do you mean that you formatted the card after you installed the ROM and then the phone booted up OK? Or do you meant that you formatted the card first before doing any of the installs?

Away for the weekend and catching up...

Yes, I formatted the card after I had installed the ROM, although by that time I had already done a wipe and reinstalled. I think that the problem may have been with the original partitions on the SD Card, which I had created in Windows hence the reformat and repartition.

Of course I don't know whether reformatting the SD card would have worked without also wiping the device. I could have restored my Nandroid backup and tried again, but by then I had spent the afternoon on a 10 minute job and wanted to get the phone working again.

Guest Lenslarque
only thing I can tell is don't remove the bundled MMS/SMS app.

I use Handcent's excellent MMS/SMS replacement app and after removing stock MMS/SMS I failed to receive any new messages...putting the apks back and rebooting fixed it...

So don't remove those MMS/SMA apks.

For the rest, one I always remove is the HTC Mail app (I use K9 Mail, latest versions feature push for *any* IMAP server that supports IDLE command, pretty awesome if you ask me! ) and its widget...because they are slow and not very good at doing their job! ;-)

Hi teknologist, First of all I want to say I'm a great fan of the work youve done on the kernel.

I've got a small question concerning the removal of the HTC Mail app. I was succesful in removing the widget of the HTC hero, but I want to remove the HTC Mail app aswell. As you suggested I'm now using now the K9 mail. Can you help me by giving the right ADB command to remove the HTC Mail app?

Thanks in advance.

Guest teknologist
Hi teknologist, First of all I want to say I'm a great fan of the work youve done on the kernel.

I've got a small question concerning the removal of the HTC Mail app. I was succesful in removing the widget of the HTC hero, but I want to remove the HTC Mail app aswell. As you suggested I'm now using now the K9 mail. Can you help me by giving the right ADB command to remove the HTC Mail app?

Thanks in advance.

Just remove the Mail.apk and Mail.odex file in /system/app if I remember correctly:

./adb remount

./adb shell rm /system/app/Mail.apk

./adb shell rm /system/app/Mail.odex

reboot your phone, just to make sure..;-)

Every time I removed the HTC Mail app (even when it wasn't suppose to poll accounts in the background) my Hero felt so much responsive...still dunno why though...

By the way, I don't see much posts around describing how cool is latest K9 version with universal push email when using an imap server supporting the IDLE command.

So let me put it clear, again, ;-) No need to configure anything, just setup your account and if your imap server supports the IDLE command, mails are instantly received! Been using it for a couple of weeks, and it's insane !

Works great here using a Zimbra server and imap accounts, sometimes I receive the emails even before they appear on my desktop mail.

Edited by teknologist

please can someone help me. after installing & uninstalling of hero rom 2.8 2.9

i cannt find the solution my program seem to disappear fix_permissions command doesnt work

whenever i install paul's custom rom google maps disappear after first boot. i have reverted back to stock rom now but appreciate if someone can really help me here

hey just to let u all know that i have changed my sd card & parted with gparted & every damn problem was solved i must say thank u very much paul u have done the great job

thank u very much & all of u by which help even a person who doesnt know a damn thing about linux & android could do this.

i again congratulate u all for the great job.

Hi mate,

See the bit I have highlighted in bold, I have flashed my Orange Branded HTC Hero with Modaco 2.9 and I'm impressed so far but seem to have the same problem as you,

Could you elaborate that part I have highlighted, Why did you change the SD card? was it Required? What make model & size of card did you go for, And when you say you parted with Gparted do you mean you formatted the SD card with Gparted? if so what sizes did you make the partition's, How many partition's did you make and what format did you make them?

Sorry for all the questions I'm just not sure, I'm new to linux and Android phones aswell.

Thanks for any help/advice given.