10/Mar 3.2 - MoDaCo Custom ROM for GSM Hero (now with online kitchen)

Guest PaulOBrien

Hi mate,

See the bit I have highlighted in bold, I have flashed my Orange Branded HTC Hero with Modaco 2.9 and I'm impressed so far but seem to have the same problem as you,

Could you elaborate that part I have highlighted, Why did you change the SD card? was it Required? What make model & size of card did you go for, And when you say you parted with Gparted do you mean you formatted the SD card with Gparted? if so what sizes did you make the partition's, How many partition's did you make and what format did you make them?

Sorry for all the questions I'm just not sure, I'm new to linux and Android phones aswell.

Thanks for any help/advice given.

hi deekb

i had class 6 8 gb card, i tried to format it using may methods u find it here including gparted live cd. but every time i installed modaco ros my hero will go in to reboot circles, i noticed that these circles can be broken only if i take out the battery & reboot without sdcard.

so after one of these reboot cycle i checked my sdcard in gparted, guess what ! it was showing my ext3 & linux swap corrupted. so i changed it got new one formatted with gparted main storage parttion was fat 32 then with ext4(512) then swap(64) then i installed modaco 2.8 with taknologist 1.8 with newest radio & my hero is real hero

By the way, I don't see much posts around describing how cool is latest K9 version with universal push email when using an imap server supporting the IDLE command.

I agree. It is a great app. I would like a way to back up the configuration of the email accounts to the SD card so that it survives wipes!

How do you find the push email affects battery life? I have turned Push email off by default for now because it seemed to contribute to a higher than usual battery drain but I will turn it back on when travelling. I am looking forward to K-9 2.0 and the goodies that will bring.

Guest teknologist
I agree. It is a great app. I would like a way to back up the configuration of the email accounts to the SD card so that it survives wipes!

How do you find the push email affects battery life? I have turned Push email off by default for now because it seemed to contribute to a higher than usual battery drain but I will turn it back on when travelling. I am looking forward to K-9 2.0 and the goodies that will bring.

Haven't noticed any abnormal battery drain. I use it 90% of the time via wifi...

In fact I don't see any difference compared to 15mn polling interval.

Backup to SD would be cool! Also the font size is a bit small for me and there is no way to change it in settings. Apart from that, the push thing is just insane!

When you consider most of the push technology require to setup an extra gateway/proxy (sort of a man in the middle, I am not comfortable with that, even if emoze and the others tell you they won't read your email)...

This just straight push from your server in SSL Imap...had been waiting for this, for years now ! :D)

Guest teknologist
I would like to ask what is the default CPU clock frequency of custom Modaco 2.9? 528Mhz or less?

These are same as stock ROM..max CPU clock freq being 528Mhz...when not using the phone it goes to down 245,760 minimum

In the kernel config (zcat /proc/config.gz |grep MSM_CPU_FREQ):

CONFIG_MSM_CPU_FREQ=y

CONFIG_MSM_CPU_FREQ_ONDEMAND=y

CONFIG_MSM_CPU_FREQ_SCALING_MAX=528000

CONFIG_MSM_CPU_FREQ_SCALING_MIN=245760

This is at least in Teknologist kernel 1.8 bundled in MCR 2.9

These are also the defaults in HTC's stock kernel.

No custom in that aspect.

Guest oufledingue

hello guys,

before all thanks for this custom ROM, work much appreciate here Paul, keep going !

i have a problem with the ringtone of the alarm

i use my phone to wake up. and since i flash this new rom, i don't have any ring in the moring, only vibrations.

when i choose the ringtone for the alarm, i don't hear too.

anybody knows this bug and can advise me on what to do ?

cordially

ouf

Hi there...newbie here! Loaded Modaco 2.9 on a HTC hero...unbranded it and unlocked it successfully, but the boot up seems extremely slow compared to the generic Orange Rom. Any ideas why please? Now, if I were to load an Orange ROM, would it become locked again? Thanks in advance.

Hi there...newbie here! Loaded Modaco 2.9 on a HTC hero...unbranded it and unlocked it successfully, but the boot up seems extremely slow compared to the generic Orange Rom. Any ideas why please? Now, if I were to load an Orange ROM, would it become locked again? Thanks in advance.

and how much is your boot time?

Guest markspark100
hello guys,

before all thanks for this custom ROM, work much appreciate here Paul, keep going !

i have a problem with the ringtone of the alarm

i use my phone to wake up. and since i flash this new rom, i don't have any ring in the moring, only vibrations.

when i choose the ringtone for the alarm, i don't hear too.

anybody knows this bug and can advise me on what to do ?

cordially

ouf

Yep, When you set the alarm click on alarm sound then when you have the list of all different choices for the sound you can then adjust volume using volume rocker.

Not sure why this happens but it has happened to me a couple of times too. :D

Hope this helps

Mark

Takes slightly over a minute. I know it's not mind-numbingly slow, but it's twice as long as before. Just wondering! Thanks.

are you sure you're not throwing something together? my hero takes 1:30 to boot with mcr and tek kernel, >2mins on stock rom...

Can someone tell me what the WiFi Status indicator is for? I know, when there's no wifi, it notifies me, but I don't think I need that notifier to know that... does it also have another function?

it tells you when your wifi is active but not connected and no network found. if you don't use some indicating widget you might not notice having your wifi turned on all day, draining the battery. you can remove it deleting /system/app/com.schwimmer.android.wifistatus.apk.

Guest anderneo
No Signature (676) files

Verification Failed

Installation Aborted

I get this issue when I'm trying to apply sdcard:update.zip

help please

Have you opened the zip file? If you did that, the signature is gone.

Don't open it. Just download and directly apply it.

Silly question, but did you actually rename the zip file to update.zip?

Good luck!

Edited by anderneo

are you sure you're not throwing something together? my hero takes 1:30 to boot with mcr and tek kernel, >2mins on stock rom...

Bizarre...anyway, not to worry. It's not one would boot often. Thanks

Guest freddirty

There is any way to trace the cause of "The process system has stopped unexpectedly" problems?

My HTC hero just out of the box and I did the backup-wipe-modaco ROM upgrade. (2.9)

Unfortunately I encounter random radio, sense and sometimes core restarts... :D

I don't want to downgrade to the official ROM.

There is any way to trace the cause of "The process system has stopped unexpectedly" problems?

My HTC hero just out of the box and I did the backup-wipe-modaco ROM upgrade. (2.9)

Unfortunately I encounter random radio, sense and sometimes core restarts... :D

I don't want to downgrade to the official ROM.

might be worth a shot to just do it all over. do this:

- partition your sdcard

- wipe everything

- copy radio and mcr2.9 zip to sdcard

- install JU radio

- reboot once

- wipe everything

- flash mcr2.9

- wipe everything

if it doesn't work then report back. if it does, report also.

Edited by kendon

Guest freddirty

- partition your sdcard

- wipe everything

- install JU radio

- reboot once

- wipe everything

- flash mcr2.9

- wipe everything

Well, lets start the fun :D (Anyway I've the JU radio on the device already)

it tells you when your wifi is active but not connected and no network found. if you don't use some indicating widget you might not notice having your wifi turned on all day, draining the battery. you can remove it deleting /system/app/com.schwimmer.android.wifistatus.apk.

thanks, so actually, that program is useless. I thought it had some more functions :D

Guest cdmackay

Paul, thanks as always for the good work..

for the next release, would you consider please enabling public-key auth for the ssh server?

This requires the addition of the arg "-R /data/dropbear/authorized_keys" to the dropbear startup line in /system/bin/dropbear.sh

That would save me having to do it manually each time I upgrade MCR :D

thanks much as always

Guest teknologist
= not useless IMHO! :D

P

In use Y5 Battery saver, it's great, it uses the GSM location to remember wifi networks and turns on/off wifi automagically! ;-)

Great stuff...

Only thing you need to do, is turn on wifi when you want to connect to a new/unknow, to Y5 network...then it remembers it.

Edited by teknologist

Guest freddirty

- partition your sdcard

- wipe everything

- install JU radio

- reboot once

- wipe everything

- flash mcr2.9

- wipe everything

Well, after a few hours I can say the crashes are gone! There are three differences between the current setup and the old one:

datatracker app,

fring app

and google maps.

yes currently the google maps disappeared from the device! I didn't find on the market so I installed the market enabler too. After faking different providers still not find the google maps.

Its on the market at all? (i've searched "google maps", "google map", and "map" strings)