10/Mar 3.2 - MoDaCo Custom ROM for GSM Hero (now with online kitchen)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest sheppy1
There is something wrong, im not quiet sure. But i keep getting Force Close a lot ! "The Process System has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again. "

Never had problems like this before, untill 3.0

Strange, working perfectly fine here, did straight upgrade from 2.9 and haven't had a single problem in a day of using it

Guest sheppy1
You should be OK, I previously had been using a Class 2 8GB card and had moved apps and dalvik-cache to this card without any problems. I must say having purchased a Class 6 8GB card I haven't noticed any difference IMHO.

Also although you may save internal phone memory moving the dalvik-cache, you will not necessarily notice any real improvements.

I currently have MCR 2.8, plus Teknologist 1.9 kernel and approx 80 apps, still showing 112mb of internal memory free (and flying!) without moving my dalvik-cache

and the phone is running so smoothly

May try MCR 3.0 later on today

Ahhhh ok the, think it's just a myth that having a class 6 card will improve performance and how the hell do you have that much space left? lol. I've got 40 apps and only have 74mb left

Edited by sheppy1

Guest masterpfa
Ahhhh ok the, think it's just a myth that having a class 6 card will improve performance and how the hell do you have that much space left? lol. I've got 40 apps and only have 74mb left

I must admit I do have "EN TA Utility" This moves Browser, Market, GMaps, Street View and GMail Cache to the SD card. My previous experience of lack of internal memory was all my e-mail cache.

One note of caution I have found once moved to the SD card there is no way of moving these Cache's back

(or I should say I have not found a way yet! :D )

Guest sheppy1
I must admit I do have "EN TA Utility" This moves Browser, Market, GMaps, Street View and GMail Cache to the SD card. My previous experience of lack of internal memory was all my e-mail cache.

One note of caution I have found once moved to the SD card there is no way of moving these Cache's back

(or I should say I have not found a way yet! :D )

Yea I used this utility on the 2.9 build and decided I wanted to move them back as I did actually notice a slow down with my Market browsing experience, was a massive paint in the neck trying to find the commands to move the cache back

Guest masterpfa
Yea I used this utility on the 2.9 build and decided I wanted to move them back as I did actually notice a slow down with my Market browsing experience, was a massive paint in the neck trying to find the commands to move the cache back

Did you manage to move your cache back if so how? :D

Guest whissperr

OK, finally downloaded and installed 3.0 update.

Hero is flying, BIG Respect to Paul !!!

But still having some problems with IMAP mail account, after setting all data in it, mail updates first showing all existing mails and then just synchronizing nothing.

No new mail is shown upon even manual synchronization. Although Gmail is working just brilliant !

Had the same problem in 2.8 - kern. 1.9 too.

Any ideas ?

Guest sheppy1
Did you manage to move your cache back if so how? :D

Well I managed to find the commands to move the Market cache and the Street Maps cache back to the internal memory, to do it you must enter the following commands into a terminal emulator on the phone itself:

su (press enter)

id (press enter)

*It should ask you to allow access, allow it.*

cd /data/data/com.android.vending

rm -R cache

mrdir cache

cd /data/data/com.google.android.street

rm -R cache

mkdir cache

Guest masterpfa
Well I managed to find the commands to move the Market cache and the Street Maps cache back to the internal memory, to do it you must enter the following commands into a terminal emulator on the phone itself:

su (press enter)

id (press enter)

*It should ask you to allow access, allow it.*

cd /data/data/com.android.vending

rm -R cache

mrdir cache

cd /data/data/com.google.android.street

rm -R cache

mkdir cache

Merci :D

Guest teknologist
Opp! just found out that after saving pictures, have to reboot phone in order to let HTC album app recognize those picture files :D

Hope before Christmas, we here can enjoy MCR x.x with Android 2.1

Cheer,

I've had this issue since the beginning and with all ROMS...I guess it's something to do with HTC Album app.

Happens when I add pictures via my Mac when mounting the sdcard. I umount, go to Album and can't see them...also happens when I "move" theme using sufbs explorer....seems albums refresh doesn't work!

Again in my opinion this has nothing to do with MCR, just a general HTC Album bug.

Great rom, fast and smooth! thank you!

Flashed version 3.0 and now HTC sync (2.0.8 installed) isn't working - the device is looking for HTC Sync and eventually can't find it...

Also, I now have only 97MB free space... where did 50MB go? :/

Any ideas?

Guest _unknown_

Maybe anyone here can clarify things for me.

In the start post is a section that explains on how to remove apps from your Hero.

After removing my unwanted stuff i was playing around a bit and noticed some traces from apps (in app manager) which i thought i had removed from my Hero.

Footprints

find / -name '*Foot*'

/data/dalvik-cache/system@[email protected]@classes.dex

Java

find / -name '*Jbed*'

Plurk (enhanced version only)

find / -name '*plurk*'

/data/data/com.htc.socialnetwork.plurk

/data/data/com.htc.socialnetwork.plurk/databases/plurks.db

Stocks

find / -name '*Stock*'

/data/data/com.htc.android.Stock

/data/data/com.htc.StockWidget

Twitter

find / -name '*Twit*'

/data/data/com.htc.TwitterWidget

Wifi Status Icon

find / -name '*wifistatus*'

/data/data/com.schwimmer.android.wifistatus

The files found in dalvik-cache i can wipe anyway but what about things stored in /data/data ?

Guest keef319

Hi Paul & Teknologist.

Installed 3.0 yesterday, running lovely, smooth and zippy.

No probs found so far, though like a few others, my internal memory seems to have dropped. Mine now shows 49Mb! It was over 100Mb with previous versions. :D

I don't really want to wipe and reinstall as wiping is a pain in the backside. Despite all my apps being on the SD card, I end up having to reinstall them as the icons don't work.

I've now put RA's recovery v.1.3.2 on. Is there something in there I can do that'll get some memory back without wiping the lot?

Guest Dan Mullen
Hi Paul & Teknologist.

No probs found so far, though like a few others, my internal memory seems to have dropped. Mine now shows 49Mb! It was over 100Mb with previous versions. :D

I don't really want to wipe and reinstall as wiping is a pain in the backside. Despite all my apps being on the SD card, I end up having to reinstall them as the icons don't work.

I've now put RA's recovery v.1.3.2 on. Is there something in there I can do that'll get some memory back without wiping the lot?

Any particular reason why you want/need the storage space back? As mentioned previously, it's just internal storage - nothing to do with RAM or how quickly your phone will perfrom. If anything, you should see better performance.

Guest phillevy
Any particular reason why you want/need the storage space back? As mentioned previously, it's just internal storage - nothing to do with RAM or how quickly your phone will perfrom. If anything, you should see better performance.

The only concern I have is that even with apps2sd the internal storage slowly decreases - with the ever increasing choice of apps, those of us that want a large number of them will have to keep monitoring this, which kind of defeats the point of apps2sd?

Guest teknologist
Maybe anyone here can clarify things for me.

In the start post is a section that explains on how to remove apps from your Hero.

After removing my unwanted stuff i was playing around a bit and noticed some traces from apps (in app manager) which i thought i had removed from my Hero.

Footprints

find / -name '*Foot*'

(...)

Wifi Status Icon

find / -name '*wifistatus*'

/data/data/com.schwimmer.android.wifistatus

The files found in dalvik-cache i can wipe anyway but what about things stored in /data/data ?

You can remove them safely. Also you can wipe your dalvik cache from Amon RA-Hero, it will be rebuilt at phone startup...(may take longer time to boot the first time )

Edited by teknologist

Guest teknologist
Hi Paul & Teknologist.

Are you sure, you let it automatically reboot a few times after the ROM update ?

Mine took about 4-5 reboot cycles and over 5 minutes...that's when it "scans" for A2SD apps and "reregisters" them...if you interrupt, you still get a functional ROM but loose all your a2SD apps...

It's is written in Paul's first post in this topic....

I've just applied v 3.0 of the ROM, from a stock orange hero - is it worth updating the radio?

It's currently 6.35.06.18

Also I take I need to apply a SPL to turn S-off?

ta muchly

Apps are either stored on internal harddisk or sd card depending if you got app2sd, ram is memory a phone is just like a pc. A Rom is like windows an operating system and if you install a game it gets installed on the hd neither gets installed on the Rom or ram but needs ram to run.

Thanks mate for making that clear lets see iv just been looking at the htc hero specs is this what you ment if am wrong please feed back its good and helpfull to know how this phone mem works maybe it makes things more clear becouse i think i been putting post before which kinda not in place about saving mem or wrong ;) .

1. Installed RAM (MB) 288- is where the apps are installed and running App2sd as mentioned example i have 111 and shrinking so whats the app2sd doing then is it working or not am :D

2. Installed ROM (MB) 512 -------> where the MCR or Stock that is the OS cool with that

3. MicroSD (example 2GB) -------> Now after partitioning i get Total 1,376 - Available 1,256 presuming the other 500 or so is partitioned ext2 or ext3 which i presume is a diffrent drive example d:\ in my HDD

My question is if my memory shrinks every time i install an app and presuming App2sd is woring with 3.0 why is tha partioning of my sd being helpfull. I will appreciate if you could shade some light.

Thanks and sorry if the questions seems kinda stupid maybe it is but thats how we learn :(

Guest DeepInside

hi my problem is this: i use app2sd. all my apps are on the sd (bootet on linux and looked at the ext4 partition). but the modaco 3.0 rom thinks that the apps are on the internal storage and i cant install apps over the 160mb mark. really confusing i hope there is a fix for this.

Guest keef319
Are you sure, you let it automatically reboot a few times after the ROM update ?

Mine took about 4-5 reboot cycles and over 5 minutes...that's when it "scans" for A2SD apps and "reregisters" them...if you interrupt, you still get a functional ROM but loose all your a2SD apps...

It's is written in Paul's first post in this topic....

I updated, rebooted, then left if. It stayed on the "HTC" splashscreen for about 7 or 8 mins, then loaded up HTC Sense and worked as normal. It didn't reboot itself after that. I checked to make sure it had updated, and manually rebooted...

Guest teknologist
I updated, rebooted, then left if. It stayed on the "HTC" splashscreen for about 7 or 8 mins, then loaded up HTC Sense and worked as normal. It didn't reboot itself after that. I checked to make sure it had updated, and manually rebooted...

And you still are missing your a2sd apps ?

Sorry to hear that..you may have run into a bump...That exact thing happened to me once, but I had stopped the phone (removed battery) beacuse I thought it was taking too long...

[EDIT] I just tried by installing an app and the .apk is stored in /system/sd/app so this means a2sd works...don't know where all the issues with a2sd come from oin all the latest posts here. It's working 100% perfectly here with MCR3.0 and over 70MB of apps in a2sd...

Edited by teknologist

Guest keef319
And you still are missing your a2sd apps ?

Sorry to hear that..you may have run into a bump...That exact thing happened to me once, but I had stopped the phone (removed battery) beacuse I thought it was taking too long...

[EDIT] I just tried by installing an app and the .apk is stored in /system/sd/app so this means a2sd works...don't know where all the issues with a2sd come from oin all the latest posts here. It's working 100% perfectly here with MCR3.0 and over 70MB of apps in a2sd...

All my apps are working fine...

Assuming I have to use ADB, what do I type in to check if the apps are on the SD?

Guest masterpfa

Also I was running MCR 2.8 not 2.9, this version used less memory

:D