10/Mar 3.2 - MoDaCo Custom ROM for GSM Hero (now with online kitchen)

Guest PaulOBrien

WOW! 1.5 is the dogs b*****ks!

seems like its fixed all the issues i encountered so far with 1.4 and others too.

for me its fixed the - htc.album.process force close issue and contacts/sms restore using Backup for Root issue

Now i have 1.5, and the compass seems to work again! (1.4.1 not), that is very nice!

However it seems a little bit off, but not sure if that was always like this...

Sky en Layar and compass much better! ;-)

Thanks!

Will test the Blue Tooth Audio later.

no complaining here, just telling.

Tested it, same issue. The weird seconds in the audio player, the headphones muted etc...

Guest domifer

hi,

I have upgraded once again this time from 1.4 to 1.5 and I am still getting the same error :

process com.htc.provider has stopped unexpectedly, which means for example not able to display the weather in the clock-weather widget of the main screen of the HERO, as far as I can see, it is not able to identify the provider because it shows the "out of area" message in the lock screen and takes a long time before it identifies my carrier (Orange Spain)

any hint ? The same thing happened earlier with the 1.4.1 version, the last good version for me is 1.4.

Edited by domifer

Guest Chris Jenx
no complaining here, just telling.

Tested it, same issue. The weird seconds in the audio player, the headphones muted etc...

Humm could possibly be the radio update.... But yes I have the same issue. No big deal. as long as its working in the 'Offical' release.

I'm sure P has some more ROM's on the way lol.

Thanks again Paul

Guest Stevie B

Upgraded to 1.5 now! It keeps getting better! I'm impressed with the updated HTC Music App - very smooth, no noticable hiss anymore and seemless when chopping and changing between albums - Great stuff indeed!

The one annoying thing I have since the 1.5 update is a whole bunch of apps in the /system/app directory but not showing in the App screen??? Most of them I probably won't need anyway, but wondering why they aren't showing - anybody any ideas?

Now... I see the exitment of all you guys.. Only thing keeping me from going for this, is the 'lack' of the danish language.

I really don't care about danish UI, but I do need the danish xT9 ... Could someone tell me if thats in this ROM?

Guest Stevie B
Now... I see the exitment of all you guys.. Only thing keeping me from going for this, is the 'lack' of the danish language.

I really don't care about danish UI, but I do need the danish xT9 ... Could someone tell me if thats in this ROM?

I've found a danish keyboard but struggling to find T9 settings. I'm sure I saw something for this earlier today but I was probably using 1.4 then...

Guest CombinedEffort
Can anyone comment further on A2DP with this ROM? I use it a lot, and with stock 1.79.482.3 it sucked ass - always dropping out!

Cheers.

Rich.

OK, I installed 1.5 anyway. Audio is still dropping, but seems better - less drops. Doing a adb logcat to try and see if there are any clues!

So a heads up... not long from now we'll hopefully see a release or leak of the 2.x ship build, which will also include a much newer radio. I don't envisage doing a significantly changed version of my ROM until this happens - releases after 1.6 will be tidy ups / minor additions / minor fixes (I can slim it down for example and i'd like to fix the Debian support if I can).

I'll knock up a few guides on how to remove bits of the ROM you don't want, how to add languages etc. etc. I am still considering a ROM without virtually all the HTC stuff, restoring the default Android bits, but I don't as yet know exactly what's involved.

I'm also actively trying to source a releasable S-OFF bootloader so we can all splash our own bootscreens - sadly the S-OFF bootloaders I have currently cannot be publicly released (or privately, don't bother asking!)

Glad everyone is enjoying the updates, remember you can express your appreciation by upgrading your MoDaCo account. I might even put a 'wall of thanks' in a future build with your name on... :angry:

Finally, my motivation for doing these ROMs is because I love my Hero and I want to make it as good as possible, simple as that - if someone as talented as, say, Cyanogen comes in and starts developing for the Hero, i'll likely return to a back seat. We'll see.

:D

P

Guest jasonsutcliffe

Excellent work Paul, much appreciated!

Got up and running eventually with 1.5 - took a while as my first ROM update, but all sorted now. Just the fun task of downloading & reinstalling apps now awaits!

Guest JamminJP

Nice one Paul, I got to work come back and theres another new update :D

DL 1.5 now!

just a few obsevations from using 1.4 today

I have had quite a few touch flow crashes on V1.4 today and the BT audio to the Pioneer Headunit does not work, although the hands free phone does!

Guest AlThePost
Finally, my motivation for doing these ROMs is because I love my Hero and I want to make it as good as possible, simple as that

It's very much appreciated, Paul. Thanks again for this masterpiece - it's screaming along here. :-D

/Al

Humm could possibly be the radio update.... But yes I have the same issue. No big deal. as long as its working in the 'Offical' release.

After reading your post I tried all three radios available on the radio thread, same punishment for all three !

No big deal you're right, since it worked before it will work in the future :D

'adb logcat' shows some error about AD2P when playing music :

D/A2DP	(  107): a2dp_init rate: 44100 channels: 2																																							  

D/A2DP	(  107): bluetooth_init																																												 

E/A2DP	(  107): bt_audio_service_open failed																																								   

D/A2DP	(  107): bluetooth_close

Edited by jthm23

Guest IdleVoid
I'm pleased to present my MoDaCo Custom Hero ROM!

This ROM is based on a test version of the 'new update' (together with my own optimisations) for the best possible performance! As soon as the 'new update' goes 'SHIP' status, I will provide a new custom ROM.

- Rooted with 'adb remount' permission and superuser APK

- Quickoffice moved to data partition to allow easy uninstall

- Deleted 'Learn More' application

- Deleted Maps application - install from the Android Market to always stay up to date

- Added Jbed Java

- Added Business Card Scanner

- Added busybox 1.15 - tweaked such that 'get information' in Swapper now works as desired

- Added nano 2.09

- Added terminfo and settings to boot.img to allow nano etc. use

- Added android-wifi-tether 1.52

- Added WMSM

- Added tun.ko file

- Added spare parts

- ROM now includes 'Plurk' client

- ROM now includes WAP browser

- ROM now includes touch focus in Camera app

- ROM now supports shortcuts using BetterCut (and therefore I assume anycut!) in Rosie

- Updated A2SD (ext3), now runs on initial boot

- Used APN config file with additional APNs

- Preinstalled files required for Debian linux [edit: this seems to be broken for some reason, investigating!]

<--- cut out --->

P

Hi Paul

I think i've found a bug in the custom ROM or at least on my phone.

I normally have 3G connection on my phone and using APN. But since version 1.4 (didn't try 1.3, previous one I had was 1.2)

my APN list on the phone is empty and I don't have any 3G connection only 2G, which kinda sucks bad.

Do you have any idea what might cause this problem or if I can manually do something,m like delete file, change file or anything ?

Else I have to say I like version 1.4+ of the custom ROM... very fast and alot of nice tools :-)

EDIT: Is ther any thing I can do to help figure what wrong (log file, some command to run, etc)?

Cheers

VI

Edited by IdleVoid

Do you have any idea what might cause this problem or if I can manually do something,m like delete file, change file or anything ?

Did you created APN?

I've ugraded from stock to modaco 1.3 and first thing which i did after reboot was create apn.. :D And works like a charm.

Guest IdleVoid

Did you created APN?

I've ugraded from stock to modaco 1.3 and first thing which i did after reboot was create apn.. :D And works like a charm.

Hi vier

No I didn't. I never had to it just was there..how I don't know. But from version 1.4 and up the list of APNs is empty.

I used to have two entries in the list. I wonder if my mobile phone company (3 in Denmark) can/will supply me with the information

but I'll have to wait for tomorrow, when they have open again (it's 2.15 in the morning where I am)

PS: I tried to replace the apns-conf.xml file in the /system/etc folder, but it's readonly, then I tried to replace the file in the version 1.5 of Pauls custom ROM, but I can't figure out how to sign it. Secondly I have no Idea if it would work anyways.

/VI

Guest IdleVoid

Hi again...

Ok I search the net and some HTC Magic users had the same issue, missing APNs.

But they had the settings for my mobile phone company, so I entered those. Rebooted.

I gets on the network for a few seconds and then it goes over to 2G network again.

And I also noticed (also before adding the APNs) the my signal strength is worse then before 1.4.

In my office i normally have full signal strength and 3G or HSPA , but now I only get roughly 2 bars and no 3G or HSPA.

BTW, if there any in here who wants the settings for the 3G mobile company in Denmark let me know and I'll post.

/Vi

Edited by IdleVoid

Guest BandedHawk

Just a further note on the WiFi/Mobile network signal strength problem - I'm not sure it is to do entirely with the radio update as with the same radio on the generic 482.3 ROM things were fairly good, no drop outs or similar. It may be a combination of radio and kernel drivers. What I did find was that it took a lot of tries to get the WiFi to authenticate (to B/G network using WPA2).

Guest Roar (Norway)
I'm pleased to present my MoDaCo Custom Hero ROM!

This ROM is based on a test version of the 'new update' (together with my own optimisations) for the best possible performance! As soon as the 'new update' goes 'SHIP' status, I will provide a new custom ROM.

- Rooted with 'adb remount' permission and superuser APK

- Quickoffice moved to data partition to allow easy uninstall

- Deleted 'Learn More' application

- Deleted Maps application - install from the Android Market to always stay up to date

- Added Jbed Java

- Added Business Card Scanner

- Added busybox 1.15 - tweaked such that 'get information' in Swapper now works as desired

- Added nano 2.09

- Added terminfo and settings to boot.img to allow nano etc. use

- Added android-wifi-tether 1.52

- Added WMSM

- Added tun.ko file

- Added spare parts

- ROM now includes 'Plurk' client

- ROM now includes WAP browser

- ROM now includes touch focus in Camera app

- ROM now supports shortcuts using BetterCut (and therefore I assume anycut!) in Rosie

- Updated A2SD (ext3), now runs on initial boot

- Used APN config file with additional APNs

- Preinstalled files required for Debian linux [edit: this seems to be broken for some reason, investigating!]

Included languages:

- Chinese (x2)

- Czech

- Dutch

- English

- French

- German

- Italian

- Norwegian

- Polish

- Russian

- Spanish

Download link: http://content.modaco.net/hero/1.5-update-...mrom-signed.zip

THIS ROM HAS SIGNIFICANT CHANGES FROM THE LAST VERSION! ENSURE YOU DO A NANDROID BACKUP SO YOU CAN 'ROLL BACK' IF REQUIRED!

A 'wipe' is MANDATORY when installing this ROM, and you MUST do this BEFORE applying the update zip (as the update zip puts files on the data partition)! I also recommend you install the latest radio from my 'update zips' topic if you have not done so.

Please note that first boot may take a little while, especially if you have a lot of apps on your A2SD partition. Be patient! If you want a real clean start or you have issues with your existing A2SD installed apps when you boot, you need to wipe your EXT3 partition on SD too by executing 'adb shell rm -r /system/sd/app', 'adb shell rm -r /system/sd/app-private' and 'adb shell reboot' :angry:

The ROM is in an update.zip format for installation via the custom recovery image, I also recommend installing the latest radio. As always, do a Nandroid backup before you do anything... just in case! ;)

For the complete newbies, these are the steps you need to take with a 'virgin' Hero:

- Download the patched recovery image linked above and install as detailed in that post

- Download this custom ROM, and copy it to your SD card

- Enter the recovery image (if you're not in it already) by powering on while pressing 'home'

- Select 'nandroid backup' from the menu to do a backup

- If you copied the custom rom as update.zip, select 'apply sdcard:update.zip', else select the option below.

- all done

Feedback / feature requests welcome! :D

P

Hi Paul.

When you say it support norwegian . what do you mean?

Guest BrumBrum74
Hi Paul.

When you say it support norwegian . what do you mean?

Norsk språk på mobilen i menyene etc. :D

Sorry Paul, couldn't help it. :angry:

Great work Paul and keep it up.

Guest blackhorse
Glad everyone is enjoying the updates, remember you can express your appreciation by upgrading your MoDaCo account. I might even put a 'wall of thanks' in a future build with your name on... :D

Hi Paul,

I upgraded to a year free of adds, i think you done a sterling job

Many years ago in the time the M1000 ect, i was Mod Plus, but cant justift the costs today as its all winmo based rewards (yes i know the heritage of this site is win mo before someone flames me!) but i feel winmo over the last few years have fallen behind and i can see andriod been the leader with iphone in the next 18 months.

So make andriod based plus memberships! lol

I've found a danish keyboard but struggling to find T9 settings. I'm sure I saw something for this earlier today but I was probably using 1.4 then...

Hmm... I'd better wait till I'm sure it's there. I tried it a couple of times on my diamond, and I regret it every time :angry: At least untill I found a ROM with the language ;)

*if anyone else see's that the danish T9 is there, please let me know. I'm nearly acking to do the upgrade, I just need that to be in there ;) *

Edited by ZiCoN