10/Mar 3.2 - MoDaCo Custom ROM for GSM Hero (now with online kitchen)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest stevenz
thanks a lot managed to uddate to the latset rom 3.0, but am a bit confused here guys and i need your help and i will admit in terms of android, am still a noob, just like my first days on windows, but after a while it always gets better, what i dont understand, is how to put apps on sd card, can someone, please point me to the right thread, were i can find a simple noob guide, on how to put apps on the sd card. i ahve read a couple of guides, but its still not clear, for me, and like i said, i ahve the latest modaco rom which is on this thread, and i can go into android system recovery, by pressing the home button and power button but just cant figure what to do please help i have been searching for the whole day, thanks

If you're on MCR, and you partitioned your SD Card in the Recovery menu as per instructions, then your apps (any non-system ones) will already be on the SD Card without you needing to do anything else.

If you're on MCR, and you partitioned your SD Card in the Recovery menu as per instructions, then your apps (any non-system ones) will already be on the SD Card without you needing to do anything else.

ok thanks for your reply like i have said, i am new to this so please bare with me if am coming from a completly new install, of the 3.o update, what steps should i undertake in order to ensure that my apps are installed on the sd card, when i press the power and home button, after installing the new 3.0 update, i am presented with a number of options, so what do i then do, thanks

Guest venturerider

Go into "adb shell" (as root), and type:

ls -l /data

If you see this, you're in business:

lrwxrwxrwx 1 0 0 14 Dec 8 00:52 app -> /system/sd/app

lrwxrwxrwx 1 0 0 22 Dec 8 00:52 app-private -> /system/sd/app-private

That shows that the internal directories are actually pointing to the sd card.

Go into "adb shell" (as root), and type:

ls -l /data

If you see this, you're in business:

lrwxrwxrwx 1 0 0 14 Dec 8 00:52 app -> /system/sd/app

lrwxrwxrwx 1 0 0 22 Dec 8 00:52 app-private -> /system/sd/app-private

That shows that the internal directories are actually pointing to the sd card.

phew, sorry mate i just cant seem to get it after i have installed a new update, like for instance the 3.0 modaco,version when, am asked to reboot, what then do i do, because theere are a couple of options, available, as seen on the picture below, so from then on what option do i choose, or i actually have got something else to do that is not listed in the options available to me as seen on the picture thanks anyone who can help me been trying now since morning, any help would be appreciated.

post-391073-1260659404_thumb.jpg

Guest lemmingzappa
phew, sorry mate i just cant seem to get it after i have installed a new update, like for instance the 3.0 modaco,version when, am asked to reboot, what then do i do, because theere are a couple of options, available, as seen on the picture below, so from then on what option do i choose, or i actually have got something else to do that is not listed in the options available to me as seen on the picture thanks anyone who can help me been trying now since morning, any help would be appreciated.

The ADB shell is a command line that you run from a computer, it's not part of the recovery image.

Guest Jeremy Goh

Just checking, when the chinese input version of the 3.0 ROM coming?

I am using the stock ROM right now and have like 50 over apps in my device memory, if I were to back them all up and transfer it over to SD card, will those apps still appear in Market?

Does this comes with HTC applications + widgets as well?

Many Thanks to all.

Sorry for the problem caused,

Edited by Jeremy Goh

ok thanks for your reply like i have said, i am new to this so please bare with me if am coming from a completly new install, of the 3.o update, what steps should i undertake in order to ensure that my apps are installed on the sd card, when i press the power and home button, after installing the new 3.0 update, i am presented with a number of options, so what do i then do, thanks
ok guys thanks a lot for all your replies, but like i said, i am a complete newbie here, with android, and i just about managed to update to the latest radio and the current 3.0 radio, so now is there a newbie guide anyone can point me to, so that i can have the ability to install my apps on the sd card, after successfully flashing this rom, i mean the most basic guide on how to do it because i am coming from windows mobile, which i was very cormfortable to use, this is completly new, so please, can someone point me to such a guide thanks please.

ok guys thanks a lot for all your replies, but like i said, i am a complete newbie here, with android, and i just about managed to update to the latest radio and the current 3.0 radio, so now is there a newbie guide anyone can point me to, so that i can have the ability to install my apps on the sd card, after successfully flashing this rom, i mean the most basic guide on how to do it because i am coming from windows mobile, which i was very cormfortable to use, this is completly new, so please, can someone point me to such a guide thanks please.

Modaco 3.0 comes with apps2sd so any apps will transfer automatically, although you have to create the partitions before apps2sd can transfer the apps.

Back up anything on your SD card. Boot into the recovery image (home + power). Format your SD card "Format SD: Fat 32". Next option is to create Ext 2 partition "Format32+ext2+swap". Now convert the ex2 to ex3. Your apps should now be saved to ext3 when you switch the phone on (or you might have to reinstall Modaco, not 100% sure). You cannot see this ext3 in windows, you need to download this http://www.diskinternals.com/download/Linux_Reader.exe, when you mount your SD card you will be able to see the ext3 partition and verify that your apps are there.

I'm no techy, this is what I did and it works fine. Hope this helps, if anyone spots anything thats incorrect correct me!

Edited by mestys

Modaco 3.0 comes with apps2sd so any apps will transfer automatically, although you have to create the partitions before apps2sd can transfer the apps.

Back up anything on your SD card. Boot into the recovery image (home + power). Format your SD card "Format SD: Fat 32". Next option is to create Ext 2 partition "Format32+ext2+swap". Now convert the ex2 to ex3. Your apps should now be saved to ext3 when you switch the phone on (or you might have to reinstall Modaco, not 100% sure). You cannot see this ext3 in windows, you need to download this http://www.diskinternals.com/download/Linux_Reader.exe, when you mount your SD card you will be able to see the ext3 partition and verify that your apps are there.

I'm no techy, this is what I did and it works fine. Hope this helps, if anyone spots anything thats incorrect correct me!

thanks a lot mate, am at work now slept very late yersterday, trying to get this to work, but couldnt do it but am determined to get it to work, please if anyone else would want to add anything else, on what has been mentioned above, please let me know i would appreciate it, so the above steps, should i do them before, or after i actually update 3.0? and from, what you have explained above, i dont need anything else, hey, but just to boot into recovery, and follow these steps, thanks

thanks a lot mate, am at work now slept very late yersterday, trying to get this to work, but couldnt do it but am determined to get it to work, please if anyone else would want to add anything else, on what has been mentioned above, please let me know i would appreciate it, so the above steps, should i do them before, or after i actually update 3.0? and from, what you have explained above, i dont need anything else, hey, but just to boot into recovery, and follow these steps, thanks

Do this before you put on Modaco 3.0. Intall the linux ext viewer so you can check to see if the apps have been installed onto the SD card.

In linux viewer the apps should be stored in "Linux native Volume 1"

Report back after, let me know how it goes.

Edited by mestys

Make sure to have the MCR zip file on your SD card, boot into Recovery Mode, do a nandroid backup, wipe your device, then right after that - install the MCR. Reboot your phone, it should be working now, then reboot again into Recovery, format your SD card (backup all data on SD first!), then choose the ext2+fat32+swap partition. Reboot. Now install apps as much as you liked, and everytime you want to move those apps to SD, just reboot your phone!

Consider upgrading the ext2 to ext3, there are threads about it on this forum.

Cheers!

Make sure to have the MCR zip file on your SD card, boot into Recovery Mode, do a nandroid backup, wipe your device, then right after that - install the MCR. Reboot your phone, it should be working now, then reboot again into Recovery, format your SD card (backup all data on SD first!), then choose the ext2+fat32+swap partition. Reboot. Now install apps as much as you liked, and everytime you want to move those apps to SD, just reboot your phone!

Consider upgrading the ext2 to ext3, there are threads about it on this forum.

Cheers!

ok thanks a lot for your support, cant wait to get home and try this av got a feeling its going to be another sleepless night again today, but will persevere, till its done now my question is,arcoding to what mestys, recomends for me to do he does not suggest, installing this MCR, but RTX101, does suggest me installing the MCR, so what do i follow, and if the correct path is installing this MCR, can someone please be kind enough, as to direct me towards its download link, and when i have it, do i install it the same way i updated my modaco 3.0 update thanks for your support.

ok thanks a lot for your support, cant wait to get home and try this av got a feeling its going to be another sleepless night again today, but will persevere, till its done now my question is,arcoding to what mestys, recomends for me to do he does not suggest, installing this MCR, but RTX101, does suggest me installing the MCR, so what do i follow, and if the correct path is installing this MCR, can someone please be kind enough, as to direct me towards its download link, and when i have it, do i install it the same way i updated my modaco 3.0 update thanks for your support.

What RTX101 is refering to is Modaco Custom Rom (Modaco 3.0), which is what you already have. Just do the partitions as I mentioned. Then install Modaco 3.0. Download some apps from the Market, as RTX101 has said, any new apps will be transferred to the SD card when you switch the phone off and back on.

Use linux viewer to verify that the apps have been transferred to the SD card. Remember to mount SD card before you run linux viewer. This is not vital but it just shows you how and where the apps will be stored.

Edited by mestys

Guest dreadite
None of the downloading links on the first page are working for me. All the links lead to the homepage. Anyone else facing the issue or is it just me? :-s

Same problem here. Really wanna flash my device :/

Edit: If anyone has an alternate download mirror, please share! Stock rom is buggy and slow ;)

Edited by dreadite

Guest sjoerdos92

When is the next update coming approximately? I installed 3.0 and i liked it, still i was missing some stuff like:

- wifi through a proxy with login. At my school there is a wifi i can connect to, it's a proxy, but when you start browsing you need to type in your username and pass, but i can't get it working with android. I tried some apps from the market but it didn't work. Is this supported in MCR 3.0? If no, is there an app or other way to make it work? If no again, is it coming soon?

- new marketplace and apps that require android 1.6 (like google goggles), how to make this work? Is it coming?

I really like this custom OS, it's much faster than the standard version, i like it.

Thanks anyway, New user, Sjoerd

Edited by sjoerdos92

ok thanks a lot for your help, i think i have just about managed to do it phew, and if i go into the linux reader, you recomended me,above i see a section that is written./ linux native volume 1 and if i click it, or rather open it i can see my installed apps in there, but what i now dont understand, pardon me again guys, is that why is it that even though it appeares, my apps, are now being installed on my sd card, but why the internal memory storage, keeps dropping everytime i download apps, your assistance required many many thanks please.

Guest troywhite

Hi guys,

A mate just updated his Hero to the latest rom and now his keyboard doesn't work.

Prior to updating, he had chinese keyboard options (he doesn't need these here in australia). Do you think it may have something to do with that?

Any suggestions? How to fix? He didn't wipe before upgrading so that will be an option but he was hoping to avoid it.

Thanks

Running:

Recovery Image is Cyanogen mod

Latest radio

Latest Modaco kernel

Software Version

1.0.0.A6288

Hi guys,

I have just updated my Hero to the MCR 3.0 Core, but it usually error. Message "force close" appear and don't load to home screen successful. I required turn off and restart phone to use.

Can Paul test and fix this bug?

ok thanks a lot for your help, i think i have just about managed to do it phew, and if i go into the linux reader, you recomended me,above i see a section that is written./ linux native volume 1 and if i click it, or rather open it i can see my installed apps in there, but what i now dont understand, pardon me again guys, is that why is it that even though it appeares, my apps, are now being installed on my sd card, but why the internal memory storage, keeps dropping everytime i download apps, your assistance required many many thanks please.

Remember that you need to restart the phone once you've downloaded the apps, this will transfer the apps from the phone to the SD card.

Hope this helps.

Guest ChinaRon

Flashed 2.8 MCR w/ Chinese. Have some contacts with Chinese names (unicode characters like 霞). People widget will not display the name and the search in People will not find the names. My native language is English, so I do not want to change the locale to China, but I did try Custom Locale to choose cn-EN, but no change.

EDIT: User Error, please ignore. Works fine if I do not fat-finger the character I want to search for.

Edited by ChinaRon

Remember that you need to restart the phone once you've downloaded the apps, this will transfer the apps from the phone to the SD card.

Hope this helps.

[/q

thanks but the problem am having, is that my internal memory keeps shrinking, even though the apps appear, to be going onto my sd card, because when i look in that linux reader, i can see my apps on there.

Hi guys,

I have just updated my Hero to the MCR 3.0 Core, but it usually error. Message "force close" appear and don't load to home screen successful. I required turn off and restart phone to use.

Can Paul test and fix this bug?

no but you can do it yourself. wipe your data.

When is the next update coming approximately? I installed 3.0 and i liked it, still i was missing some stuff like:

- wifi through a proxy with login. At my school there is a wifi i can connect to, it's a proxy, but when you start browsing you need to type in your username and pass, but i can't get it working with android. I tried some apps from the market but it didn't work. Is this supported in MCR 3.0? If no, is there an app or other way to make it work? If no again, is it coming soon?

- new marketplace and apps that require android 1.6 (like google goggles), how to make this work? Is it coming?

I really like this custom OS, it's much faster than the standard version, i like it.

Thanks anyway, New user, Sjoerd

neither of these is a rom issue. your wifi thing will probably not work, though there is an app called "t-mobile hotspot login". it is used to achieve the same thing for a t-mobile wlan, maybe you can edit the settings to fit your school's network. about coming soon: nothing has been anounced yet, on the other side this is not a thing the whole world is waiting for, so there won't be a big announcement.

for the new marketplace and apps (which work only on 1.6 as you said you need a 1.6 rom, obviously. something that is not gonna happen for the hero, as we are skipping 1.6 and get 2.0 in the near future.

thanks but the problem am having, is that my internal memory keeps shrinking, even though the apps appear, to be going onto my sd card, because when i look in that linux reader, i can see my apps on there.

this behaviour is normal. search for "apps2sd working" and you will find the explanation.

Guest _Mazza_

Hi guys,

If I'm on the rooted t-mobile 2.73.110.26 rom found here http://android.modaco.com/content/htc-hero...ate-zip-format/

and I have the recovery image installed, and done a nandroid backup and wiped the device.

Is it possible for me to update to the modaco rom without taking any further steps? or do I need to use the goldcard method?

Thanks for any help.