10/Mar 3.2 - MoDaCo Custom ROM for GSM Hero (now with online kitchen)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest _Mazza_
Hi guys,

If I'm on the rooted t-mobile 2.73.110.26 rom found here http://android.modaco.com/content/htc-hero...ate-zip-format/

and I have the recovery image installed, and done a nandroid backup and wiped the device.

Is it possible for me to update to the modaco rom without taking any further steps? or do I need to use the goldcard method?

Thanks for any help.

No worries just did it and it worked fine. I'm way too impatient lol.

Guest AndyMac

how long is a reasonable time to wait for first boot on this ROM? (Did the Radio at the same time)

Been dormant for 15 mins now.

Cheers,

Andy

Ok, pulled th battery in the end got past the Hero screen, will wait for HTC screen...

Edited by AndyMac

Guest Dan Mullen
how long is a reasonable time to wait for first boot on this ROM? (Did the Radio at the same time)

Cheers,

Andy

Ok, pulled th battery in the end got past the Hero screen, will wait for HTC screen...

The last upgrade I did was about 12 minutes, but I let it finish. I'd really recommend not pulling the battery unless it's a last resort - wait overnight if need be!

Guest ptruman

Cheers,

Andy

More than 30 mins would be suspicious. Mine sat around for at least 10.

Be VERY careful pulling the battery - your phone is actually probably EITHER moving apps to the SD card (if correctly formatted - which may break your apps mid way) OR rebuilding it's caches.

I've mentioned in another post that if you're doing stuff correctly, you'll have ADB enabled - connect the phone to USB and periodically type adb shell ps and you can see what processes are running

Do it a few times you'll see they change....so it's busy - leave it be ;)

Guest RemoteSojourner
More than 30 mins would be suspicious. Mine sat around for at least 10.

Be VERY careful pulling the battery - your phone is actually probably EITHER moving apps to the SD card (if correctly formatted - which may break your apps mid way) OR rebuilding it's caches.

I've mentioned in another post that if you're doing stuff correctly, you'll have ADB enabled - connect the phone to USB and periodically type adb shell ps and you can see what processes are running

Do it a few times you'll see they change....so it's busy - leave it be ;)

Or you can run "adb logcat" and see whats happening. Unless its looping over the same error again and again, you are fine waiting for it.

I've been using MCR since 2.2 and it works quite nicely.

I currently have 3.0 on board.

I've been noticing that when I go to the home screen (HTC home screen) and try to swipe to another page it is very slow and often registers a click under where my finger first pressed, and it will normally open up whatever is right under my finger. After using the home screen for a few seconds it goes away, but comes back after I do something else (like using an application or letting it sleep)

I haven't wiped my device since using MCR, but I did test wiping and installing fresh on a friends device and his shows the same thing.

Is anyone else noticing this?

Guest Dan Mullen

I've been noticing that when I go to the home screen (HTC home screen) and try to swipe to another page it is very slow and often registers a click under where my finger first pressed, and it will normally open up whatever is right under my finger. After using the home screen for a few seconds it goes away, but comes back after I do something else (like using an application or letting it sleep)

I haven't wiped my device since using MCR, but I did test wiping and installing fresh on a friends device and his shows the same thing.

Occasionally I get lock-ups where things like that happen... swiping between homescreens is slow, opening apps, scrolling the main menu, etc... it always sorts itself out so I just live with it.

Same thing for me and i did a wipe before installning the MCR 3.0 from MCR 2.9 and i use Apps2SD

Guest mantrajt

Hi, I´m new to the HTC Hero but not to flashing roms, did it several times in my prior HTC HD.

I`ve downloaded Modaco 3.0..but when I check "about phone" I don`t see any number refering to a 2.73xx version, the most similar number I can see is 2.6.27-mck-bla bla bla which is the Kernel version.

Software version 1.5

Compilation Number "Modaco Custom ROM 3.0 Core, SSH ....."

Where can I see my rom version...is it already 2.73x ?

Thanks in advance, bye.

Another question, SMS arrive ASAP but chronologically misplaced...my SMS is for example 13:32 and the response, even at the same time, has 1 hour more, so the threaded mesagge also leaves mine on top, unable to have a "conversation mode" . Also in the SMS HTC widget I can only preview 4 sms, is that all???

Edited by mantrajt

Hi, I´m new to the HTC Hero but not to flashing roms, did it several times in my prior HTC HD.

I`ve downloaded Modaco 3.0..but when I check "about phone" I don`t see any number refering to a 2.73xx version, the most similar number I can see is 2.6.27-mck-bla bla bla which is the Kernel version.

the 2.73.x appears under build number when you have a stock rom. where it says "modaco custom rom 3.0..." on your phone.

see the first two posts in this thread:

This ROM is based on the 2.73.x release series (together with my own optimisations) for the best possible performance!

Changelog

Moved base to 2.73.405.66

How to install that super optimized Rosie? i don`t know much about these. I know the ADB, but where I have to put that .apk file?

Edit: Got it, but it wont install...

as i understand it the apk is for the g1...

Guest cdmackay
this missing app is really copyright isuue. i have flashed newest leaked 2.1 & used my google user id. after that even barcode reader have gone. i have gone thru android market help page it is really a copyright issue & it is stuck with my google id so if i only chenge it then only i can see those apps.

anybody can help me with these

I have a horrible feeling you might be right; it's the only theory I've heard that fits some of the unusual facts, like people with identical setups getting different behaviours, and why once you've got the problem, restoring from nandroid backup etc, or re-flashing, doesn't cure it...

that said, I've only ever used MCR releases, so not sure why my account might be singled out.

what makes you think this might be linked to the google id, exactly? if you change your id, on the same phone without making any other changes, it all comes back?I wonder if there's any way to "reset" the id so that you don't have to change it?

I have a horrible feeling you might be right; it's the only theory I've heard that fits some of the unusual facts, like people with identical setups getting different behaviours, and why once you've got the problem, restoring from nandroid backup etc, or re-flashing, doesn't cure it...

that said, I've only ever used MCR releases, so not sure why my account might be singled out.

what makes you think this might be linked to the google id, exactly? if you change your id, on the same phone without making any other changes, it all comes back?I wonder if there's any way to "reset" the id so that you don't have to change it?

hi i found the solution,--make nandroid backup, install AOSP 2.0.1 by eugene from htcpedia forum, login with ur google id, install apps, reboot & restore nandroid & boom everything comes back. i found the solution on missing apps thread in this forum. this forum is really gr8. if u get success tell me.

Guest dreadite

To everybody having trouble downloading the core package: Try different web browsers. It would not download via google chrome for me, but would download via firefox.

Hope this helps.

Does somebody have any informations about any significant changes concerning battery draining? My Hero is now running for 76 hours without a new energy load and still 1/4 left of battery. I´m on MCR 3.0 and 1.9 Tek.

Edited by Phanes

Does somebody have any informations about any significant changes concerning battery draining? My Hero is now running for 76 hours without a new energy load and still 1/4 left of battery. I´m on MCR 3.0 and 1.9 Tek.

No, but I have a similar experience with the battery lasting significantly longer than it used to. I think that some of it might be down to the fact that I have not been playing with the phone as much because there has not been a ROM release recently!

Guest teknologist
No, but I have a similar experience with the battery lasting significantly longer than it used to. I think that some of it might be down to the fact that I have not been playing with the phone as much because there has not been a ROM release recently!

Well stats do show a big battery increase actually...may have to do with the fact that the cpu stays at low freq when sleep, even when cpu consuming tasks like google sync kick in. In fact I think battery life may be decreased if you use your phone 24/7...if you put it to sleep most of the time (like a normal phone usage) battery life should be very good !

There are just very few people reporting battery life decrease, very few.

On my side, I don't see a noticeable difference, apart from the phone being a lot more responsive ;-)

Have just released 1.91 teknologist kernel with the perf update tweak included and an increased ramzswap of 128MB which seems to solve the issue of losing performance over time (after a day or so without rebooting)

Edited by teknologist

Guest Dan Mullen
Well stats do show a big battery increase actually...may have to do with the fact that the cpu stays at low freq when sleep, even when cpu consuming tasks like google sync kick in. In fact I think battery life may be decreased if you use your phone 24/7...if you put it to sleep most of the time (like a normal phone usage) battery life should be very good !

There are just very few people reporting battery life decrease, very few.

On my side, I don't see a noticeable difference, apart from the phone being a lot more responsive ;-)

Have just released 1.91 teknologist kernel with the perf update tweak included and an increased ramzswap of 128MB which seems to solve the issue of losing performance over time (after a day or so without rebooting)

I don't know if that might fix the lag for me, but recently I've found that after a couple of days usage without rebooting I'm experiencing INCREDIBLE slow-down! Pressing buttons, it takes a couple of seconds for the button to highlight, then another 2 or 3 for the app to open.

I'm going to reboot now.