10/Mar 3.2 - MoDaCo Custom ROM for GSM Hero (now with online kitchen)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Cutefox

im getting my hero in less than 2 wks, i got an iphone 32gb now hence im tryin to understand the way a2sd works on this rom.. does it moves automatically all the apps when u first flashed to MCR or u can choose not to do that? reason being is i got about 14gb worth of musics and possibly another 5gb worth of movies, photos and planning to swap 2x16gb microsd card when using htc hero.. can that be done if u have a2sd turned on? i heard about mounting and unmounting cards.. can that be done easily? i just want to know how to setup the hero when i get it.. looking forward to try out this awesome rom as every one says it is..

Guest arkhonic
im getting my hero in less than 2 wks, i got an iphone 32gb now hence im tryin to understand the way a2sd works on this rom.. does it moves automatically all the apps when u first flashed to MCR or u can choose not to do that? reason being is i got about 14gb worth of musics and possibly another 5gb worth of movies, photos and planning to swap 2x16gb microsd card when using htc hero.. can that be done if u have a2sd turned on? i heard about mounting and unmounting cards.. can that be done easily? i just want to know how to setup the hero when i get it.. looking forward to try out this awesome rom as every one says it is..

If you use app2sd your going to have some issues if your swapping out SD Cards with it turned on. Mounting the cards are easy, just switch the phone off and swap card and then start it back up.

Guest Cutefox
If you use app2sd your going to have some issues if your swapping out SD Cards with it turned on. Mounting the cards are easy, just switch the phone off and swap card and then start it back up.

so the best usage would be to not have app2sd turned on if i want to swap cards? is app2sd automatically turned on when i first flash to MCR 3.0?

yea reading into how u guys needs to partition the cards etc etc i was wondering if i need to partition both my cards even when i dont want app2sd to work due to my setup.. i think i dont want to have app2sd turned on if i cant hotswap my microsd cards..

btw when u say turn the phone off for mounting and unmounting, can that be done with hotswapping method without the phone turning on and off?

Guest cyril06
When is the next update coming approximately? I installed 3.0 and i liked it, still i was missing some stuff like:

- wifi through a proxy with login. At my school there is a wifi i can connect to, it's a proxy, but when you start browsing you need to type in your username and pass, but i can't get it working with android. I tried some apps from the market but it didn't work. Is this supported in MCR 3.0? If no, is there an app

Hello

I managed to do this thanks to an IP over DNS tunnel, with a customized version of iodine and the TUN/TAP driver included in this ROM (so maybe the iodine binary could be included in the ROM too.. it's 67kB)

I am planning to write something on this blog to explain how it works... as soon as I have time :)

--

Cyril

hie guys i have searched, but i just cant seem to get a clear solution, but how do i enable internet sharing, using this modaco3.0 update, thanks.

[/quote

Hi I haven't tried before bit my best tip is to try WiFi tethered or alternatives connect your usb and go to settings the own.connection sharing will be activated.

Paul, Wavesecure has had 2 updates since your version - can you revise this?

+1 for this.

Or is there a way we can create this update.zip ourselves and sign it (to save hassling Paul)?

Just wondering since the main post claims that settings WILL now survive a hard reset. Was wondering if the apk is modified and we need to wait for the dev to release this, or if it is something we can do.

I would love to have the latest version running on my G2, but really want it in ROM.

EDIT:

I think I've figured out how to do it myself. Install the latest version from the market (3.0.0.43 at this time). Now use adb pull to get it off the device onto your pc

adb pull /data/app/com.wsandroid.apk D:\com.wsandroid.apk
Then push it to the system partition after a remount
adb remount
adb push D:\com.wsandroid.apk /system/app/com.wsandroid.apk
Then set it all up as usual (will appear in apps list immediately) and remount system as read only again
adb remount

And that seems to be it so far.

Let me know if anyone finds any problems with this, but I've done it and, fingers crossed, it's worked OK for me.

Edited by pulser

so the best usage would be to not have app2sd turned on if i want to swap cards? is app2sd automatically turned on when i first flash to MCR 3.0?

yea reading into how u guys needs to partition the cards etc etc i was wondering if i need to partition both my cards even when i dont want app2sd to work due to my setup.. i think i dont want to have app2sd turned on if i cant hotswap my microsd cards..

btw when u say turn the phone off for mounting and unmounting, can that be done with hotswapping method without the phone turning on and off?

If you don't want to use a2sd, just don't create another partitions to the cards. Then a2sd won't do anything and you can swap your cards without turning the phone off.

Guest Cutefox
If you don't want to use a2sd, just don't create another partitions to the cards. Then a2sd won't do anything and you can swap your cards without turning the phone off.

so do i need to do any kind of partitioning at all if i do not want a2sd turn on? im confused to those ext, ext2 partitioning and etc etc.. so from what i understand is in the process of flashing the rom, i do not need to touch the partition part in the amon ra recovery process at all correct? leave the sd card as it is?

Guest shields399

hello!

just a quick question, can i try out lox's 2.1 rom straight from modaco? by nandroid back up, wipe, update.zip (2.1), radio. and revert by android back up, wipe, update.zip (modaco 3.0), radio?

thanks.

The MCR 3.0 works fine for me.

But the Documents To Go app starts itself when the system starts.

How can I turn OFF this?

(I don't want Doc To Go stay there and take a bit of memory)

Another question: Can I use this MCR 3.0 on HTC Dream?

Thanks

The MCR 3.0 works fine for me.

But the Documents To Go app starts itself when the system starts.

How can I turn OFF this?

(I don't want Doc To Go stay there and take a bit of memory)

Another question: Can I use this MCR 3.0 on HTC Dream?

Thanks

get "autostarts" or "startup auditor" from the market to disable autostarting apps. i use autostarts, works great.

this rom most certainly will NOT run on a dream, since it is a hero specific rom. try at your own risk.

get "autostarts" or "startup auditor" from the market to disable autostarting apps. i use autostarts, works great.

this rom most certainly will NOT run on a dream, since it is a hero specific rom. try at your own risk.

Thanks Kendon

But using another app to get rid of an app is not a good solution.

I though that there is a file where I can delete DocToGo entry to keep it from autorun.

About HTC Dream, I search "custom rom for Dream", and Paul said that no more update of Rom for Dream and gave a link to this MCR. That's why I asked. I will try on my own risk (I hope that Nandroid backup/restore will save me).

Edited by Ajitsu

Thanks Kendon

But using another app to get rid of an app is not a good solution.

I though that there is a file where I can delete DocToGo entry to keep it from autorun.

About HTC Dream, I search "custom rom for Dream", and Paul said that no more update of Rom for Dream and gave a link to this MCR. That's why I asked. I will try on my own risk (I hope that Nandroid backup/restore will save me).

if you want to get rid of it deinstall it. if you want to stop it from autostarting use one of these apps. you can also try to find out what these apps do and do it manually, i prefer a nice gui with an overview for that.

The link for the wavesecure update.zip returns me only to the MoDaCo front page.

You seem to be correct. I used the link yesterday and it worked fine, but I would guess Paul might be doing something like an update right now. Either try again tomorrow, just install the apk from the market (if you don't want the benefits of the file being in Rom), or you could try the instructions I posted above which let's you install the latest version yourself into the system part of the Rom.

Up to you, waiting a day or so may reveal a new version courtesy of Paul, or you could do it yourself. Whatever you do, be sure to register before 31 January so you get the free lifetime subecription on offer (see market entry for details)

It has always work fine here. I suggest to use another browser. I am using Firefox and never had problems.

Yup. Link is working here on Firefox again. I can confirm that the files were not accessible for about an hour, but are back up now, so give the link a shot again.