10/Mar 3.2 - MoDaCo Custom ROM for GSM Hero (now with online kitchen)

Guest PaulOBrien

Just an update (that I also posted on Twitter)... i'm trying to do something a bit different with 3.1 (after all, going to release .66 and chucking in an updated busybox isn't all that exciting) so it's taking a little longer.

If my plan works it should make everything faster / smoother. Watch this space!

P

Guest dr_ysp
Just an update (that I also posted on Twitter)... i'm trying to do something a bit different with 3.1 (after all, going to release .66 and chucking in an updated busybox isn't all that exciting) so it's taking a little longer.

P

paul i am sitting on the edge here man!!

though i am loyal fan will wait!!

Guest Moenmann
I have a problem when I run the marked enabler (not included in the ROM) when its about to fake the provider (o2 from DE) the phone restarts itself.. anyone have expirienced this?

try to run superuser permissions first.. worked for me..

P

Ooh can't wait :)

Hello All!

Want to write a small note here about incorrect Wi-Fi working!

First of all, I’m running Modaco 3.0 with a suggested radio.

As far as I see a lot of people are experiencing problems with Wi-Fi on Hero. And I’m too..

So I decided to do a small investigation to determine what part is responsible for BAD wi-fi.

My problem with Wi-Fi is _very_ strange. Phone connects, everything seems to go right, BUT!!! Some sites do not open. DNS is resolving, even redirect goes.. But not a single bit is loaded… For example – all Google sites work fine... But twitter doesn’t load... Facebook doesn’t load.. And it immediately starts loading if I switch phone to another AP (BTW my AP is DLINK DAP-1160 firmware 1.31b) or if I switch phone to EDGE Internet…

First of all I tried another radio - 63.18.55.06JU_6.35.09.26. Yes, it works with Modaco 3.0 fine. But that gave no effect at all.

Then I tried aosp-2.0.1-jnwhiteh-r6.zip.. And you know, it WORKED… Everything began loading. But for me that firmware is not usable as it is so slow and buggy.

I’m back again on Modaco 3.0. But now I know that the problem is NOT in radio. That’s a good news! A bad one is that I still don’t know how to fix my wifi…

P

Everything is very faster after disabling the ramzswap on MCR3.0 and TCK1.91!!

Realy faster and no lags :)

Everything is very faster after disabling the ramzswap on MCR3.0 and TCK1.91!!

Realy faster and no lags :)

I installed MCR 3.0 over vanilla rom, and the updated to tck1.91. How to disable the ramzswap?

I installed MCR 3.0 over vanilla rom, and the updated to tck1.91. How to disable the ramzswap?

# adb remount

# adb pull /system/init.d/ramzswap.sh ramzswap.sh

# vim ramzswap.sh

# adb push ramzswap.sh /system/init.d/ramzswap.sh

I have only commented out lines related to ramzswap, so content of ramzswap.sh looks like this:

#/system/xbin/insmod /system/lib/modules/tun.ko

#/system/xbin/insmod /system/lib/modules/lzo_decompress.ko

#/system/xbin/insmod /system/lib/modules/lzo_compress.ko

#/system/xbin/insmod /system/lib/modules/xvmalloc.ko

#/system/xbin/insmod /system/lib/modules/ramzswap.ko disksize_kb=131072

#/system/xbin/swapon /dev/block/ramzswap0

echo "10" > /proc/sys/vm/swappiness

echo "performance" >  /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
I have partitioned SD card, so I have added line to activate swap (32MB) partition on SD (this step is not neccesary):
/system/xbin/swapon /dev/block/mmcblk0p3

Enjoy your Hero without lags, especially after turn on the device :)

Edited by dux

Hello All!

As far as I see a lot of people are experiencing problems with Wi-Fi on Hero. And I’m too..

So I decided to do a small investigation to determine what part is responsible for BAD wi-fi.

My problem with Wi-Fi is _very_ strange. Phone connects, everything seems to go right, BUT!!! Some sites do not open. DNS is resolving, even redirect goes.. But not a single bit is loaded… For example – all Google sites work fine... But twitter doesn’t load... Facebook doesn’t load.. And it immediately starts loading if I switch phone to another AP (BTW my AP is DLINK DAP-1160 firmware 1.31b) or if I switch phone to EDGE Internet…

First of all I tried another radio - 63.18.55.06JU_6.35.09.26. Yes, it works with Modaco 3.0 fine. But that gave no effect at all.

Then I tried aosp-2.0.1-jnwhiteh-r6.zip.. And you know, it WORKED… Everything began loading. But for me that firmware is not usable as it is so slow and buggy.

I’m back again on Modaco 3.0. But now I know that the problem is NOT in radio. That’s a good news! A bad one is that I still don’t know how to fix my wifi…

I have this issue also..

Edited by uk786

Guest ritdaw
# adb remount

# vim ramzswap.sh

I have only commented out lines related to ramzswap, so content of ramzswap.sh looks like this:

I have partitioned SD card, so I have added line to activate swap (32MB) partition on SD (this step is not neccesary):

I think you meant to type adb push

Giving it a go without ramzswap, my mate is getting loads of speed issues himself so I thought I would test!

Edited by ritdaw

Guest Dan Mullen
With ramzswap disabled my hero is flying!

I'll be very interested to hear how it's performing after a day or so of using your phone. I've had the same problems with lag and am convinced that compcache interferes with the automatic memory management in Android.

I'm sure compcache is a huge benefit for a lot of people - it probably boils down to how each person uses their phone, what apps they run, etc.

Guest ZeTiNaL
# adb remount

# vim ramzswap.sh

I got the error when type

# vim ramzswap.sh

also do I need to apply all the codes you mention in this section? "I have only commented out lines related to ramzswap, so content of ramzswap.sh looks like this:"

I am a newbie, sorry

Thx in advance

Hi AsteP,

I have kind of the same problem - just vice versa. I can connect to Twitter, facebook, and others but no google services are working via WiFi. Switching to 3G network lets me connect to all services without restrictions (see my post No google services via WiFi).

Unfortunately nobody seems to have a clue why this happens :)

Regards,

reeja

Hello All!

I'll be very interested to hear how it's performing after a day or so of using your phone. I've had the same problems with lag and am convinced that compcache interferes with the automatic memory management in Android.

No lags after two weeks without restart :)

Hi AsteP,

I have kind of the same problem - just vice versa. I can connect to Twitter, facebook, and others but no google services are working via WiFi. Switching to 3G network lets me connect to all services without restrictions (see my post No google services via WiFi).

Unfortunately nobody seems to have a clue why this happens :)

Regards,

reeja

What wifi router do you have?

I read a lot of threads on bad wifi in hero... And there is a chance that if you'll upgrade firmware of your router everything will work.

Another way that helps to some people is to try to add the mac of your hero to the router...

And another way - try to setup static ip , dns and gateway.. It helps for someone (but unfortunaly not for me)...

For sure there is a strange problem with firmware... If we could solve it it would be great!

Guest kendon
i got an erroe when im trying to mount my sd card.. can anyone help me?

absolutely. we just ask our crystal balls what your error message is exactly, and what you did to get this error, and they will tell us the answer...

Guest kendon
Vim is a text editor, so you just use your favorite text editor (for example notepad) to edit this file.

you need to use a unix compatible editor, it probably won't work if you use notepad. my suggestion would be notepad++.

you need to use a unix compatible editor, it probably won't work if you use notepad. my suggestion would be notepad++.

Imho MS Wordpad should work with unix text file format.