10/Mar 3.2 - MoDaCo Custom ROM for GSM Hero (now with online kitchen)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest skenmy

Thoroughly enjoying the use of 3.1b2! It's blisteringly fast - can't wait for 4.0 though!

Definitely worth a Plus subscription for all the work you have done, Paul! Thank you!

Guest Dan Mullen
I was using titanium but found astro file manager tools a little better for me.. but i dont think it saves market info

Believe me, Titanium Backup is MUCH better than Astro for backing up your apps and their related settings. Astro only saves the .apk file - you can do that yourself by copying the contents of your ext partition.

Guest Konrad Walsh
Believe me, Titanium Backup is MUCH better than Astro for backing up your apps and their related settings. Astro only saves the .apk file - you can do that yourself by copying the contents of your ext partition.

Fair enough... i am learning .. :)

Can I just say... I never posted this much as a WinMo fan over on XDA cause if I ever asked anything or suggested anything I got flamed

Guest Robert Davidson

As I could not see the new widgets I decided to do a complete wipe and reinstall 3.1 beta 2 but the new widgets are still not showing up.

Guest Dan Mullen
As I could not see the new widgets I decided to do a complete wipe and reinstall 3.1 beta 2 but the new widgets are still not showing up.

Did you wipe before or after you flashed the ROM?

Guest Dan Mullen
Fair enough... i am learning .. :)

Can I just say... I never posted this much as a WinMo fan over on XDA cause if I ever asked anything or suggested anything I got flamed

As they say, there's no such thing as a stupid question B) I also find the vast majority of people on these Android forums very helpful and friendly.

Guest Robert Davidson
Did you wipe before or after you flashed the ROM?

I did the wipe before installing, but hey as the weathers so bad and i'm not going anywhere and have time on my hands I will start again and see what happens.

Guest kendon
Hi Folks,

Any idea why I can't download from the links in the first page? It just keeps bringing me to modaco's main page instead. Thanks!

try different browser or right-click -> save as.

Guest PhonePersona
G8

Why not remove dropbear? I always have since it started being included. I don't use it (and have no idea how to).

Yeah tried adb remount and same. Gonna try again in a bit.

Try:

adb remount

adb shell

cd system/app

ls (to check and see that the file you're trying to remove is present)

rm "whatever file you're trying to remove"

Guest kendon
Use Titanium Backup to backup and restore your apps, complete with links to market?

P

I was using titanium but found astro file manager tools a little better for me.. but i dont think it saves market info

i'm so gonna try that, the market links are my biggest problem. i want the updates, otherwise would have just wiped. i have my contacts on google, and the few settings shouldn't be the problem... thanks for the hint, both of you!

Guest thecastlefordkid

Having not looked at the forum since last night, I'm a little suprised to see the thread going on for page after page about the missing HTC Widgets.

I'd rather the thread be used for real software issues in the ROM that make it unusable. The widgets are nothing special. We need to help Paul with testing the ROM to find real issues that he can work on rather than wasting his time resolving something that is really minor.

Anyway, I've really hammered Beta 2 since last night, not one bug, force close, nothing. It's awesome.

:)

Guest paulosman

Been using Modaco for a while now and benefitting from all the love/kindness of the community and especially Paul, yet I didnt even notice there was a Premium Member thing. That'll teach me for just bookmarking the pages I use!

£9.99 sent a minute ago... MCR3.1 beta 2 downloading as I write!

Awesome.

Guest Chicaned
Having not looked at the forum since last night, I'm a little suprised to see the thread going on for page after page about the missing HTC Widgets.

I'd rather the thread be used for real software issues in the ROM that make it unusable. The widgets are nothing special. We need to help Paul with testing the ROM to find real issues that he can work on rather than wasting his time resolving something that is really minor.

Anyway, I've really hammered Beta 2 since last night, not one bug, force close, nothing. It's awesome.

Sorry Paul. Your ROM is great and super fast and we love you all. Just because I'm too lazy to wipe me phone and check it I shouldn't be smearing this thread.

My bad.

Guest masterpfa

OK Day 2, decided to continue with 3.1 Beta 1 for a full day before upgrading.

No problems to report with Beta 1 so now to Beta 2

Installed and so far all OK

I have decided on a 'No Wipe' Paul, as I have done with all upgrades to date, not sure if this is what you were looking for, please let me know.

I have also, out of interest, carried out a few 'Benchmark' tests, my results below:

MCR 3.0

Graphics: 113.54418

CPU: 155.14532

Memory: 142.79225

Filesystem 2.199167

MCR 3.1 Beta 1

Graphics: 113.74778

CPU: 158.4764

Memory: 143.68716

Filesystem 12.298478

MCR 3.1 Beta 2

Graphics: 115.14073

CPU: 168.04851

Memory: 142.94083

Filesystem 35.63863

All looking good Paul

Guest thecastlefordkid

I may have spoken too soon. I'm not experiencing a force close but the phone seems to have acquired some lag :)

It's most noticable when scrolling through the 'All Programs' list. Last night it was really quick but it seems to have started to lag and become a little jumpy.

The phones been on since I installed Beta 2 last night. I'm wondering if the lag becomes more apparent the longer it's on. During this morning, I haven't been running any other apps than those I started to use when I first installed.

What's the best method of finding out the memory useage figures etc so that I can put them up on the thread???

EDIT : Apps such as Contacts and HTC Mail seem to be experiencing from the lag also

Edited by thecastlefordkid

Guest Dan Mullen
Try:

adb remount

adb shell

cd system/app

ls (to check and see that the file you're trying to remove is present)

rm "whatever file you're trying to remove"

If you don't want dropbear, open a shell and run "/system/bin/removedropbear.sh"

Guest kieranc
Finally, I often read on the forums of people who are having problems installing a custom ROM. Is this down to user error, and not following instructions, or is this because it is mostly a 'cross your fingers and hope' process, that relies on luck for it to work, since phones can be in so many different conditions it is impossible to write down a set of instructions that are guaranteed to work even if the instructions are followed to the letter?

I'd say it's a pretty safe process - the hundreds of people who have installed sucessfully aren't as vocal about it as the few for whom something has gone wrong. from what i've seen, most boot failures seem to relate to incorrectly partitioned sd cards rather than a problem with the rom...

I have also, out of interest, carried out a few 'Benchmark' tests, my results below:

MCR 3.0

Graphics: 113.54418

CPU: 155.14532

Memory: 142.79225

Filesystem 2.199167

MCR 3.1 Beta 1

Graphics: 113.74778

CPU: 158.4764

Memory: 143.68716

Filesystem 12.298478

MCR 3.1 Beta 2

Graphics: 115.14073

CPU: 168.04851

Memory: 142.94083

Filesystem 35.63863

All looking good Paul

those filesystem figures are amazing, what's changed?!

Guest thecastlefordkid
I may have spoken too soon. I'm not experiencing a force close but the phone seems to have acquired some lag :)

It's most noticable when scrolling through the 'All Programs' list. Last night it was really quick but it seems to have started to lag and become a little jumpy.

The phones been on since I installed Beta 2 last night. I'm wondering if the lag becomes more apparent the longer it's on. During this morning, I haven't been running any other apps than those I started to use when I first installed.

What's the best method of finding out the memory useage figures etc so that I can put them up on the thread???

EDIT : Apps such as Contacts and HTC Mail seem to be experiencing from the lag also

I've found the issue, Skype for Android. It's been running all of the time, soon as I signed out of Skype and closed the app, everything went back to normal. No jumpy, laggy apps or screens now.

Guest Dan Mullen
I've found the issue, Skype for Android. It's been running all of the time, soon as I signed out of Skype and closed the app, everything went back to normal. No jumpy, laggy apps or screens now.

It may have just been the amount of RAM being used by Skype at the time rather than a problem with that app. Try it again later, or after manually killing a few other tasks.