10/Mar 3.2 - MoDaCo Custom ROM for GSM Hero (now with online kitchen)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest jeroenhero
the hundreds of people who have installed sucessfully aren't as vocal about it as the few for whom something has gone wrong.

Ok, a vocal from the Netherlands: wonderful ROM, runs without problems!

Guest kendon
Having not looked at the forum since last night, I'm a little suprised to see the thread going on for page after page about the missing HTC Widgets.

I'd rather the thread be used for real software issues in the ROM that make it unusable. The widgets are nothing special. We need to help Paul with testing the ROM to find real issues that he can work on rather than wasting his time resolving something that is really minor.

maybe it is asked too much, but if look a little further there might a connection between the widgets not working and other market problems. and also, maybe someday htc releases some piece of cool, great, usable software (or whatever is "real" for you), and then the problem starts at the beginning.

and frankly i believe that paul does not put any effort in the case of the missing widgets, especially because we know pretty good what the problem is and how it can be solved...

Guest alfatmelmac

Could someone post the .apk file for the latest version of Titanium Backup as I can't download anthing from the market and want to do a clean install to see if that helps, other than that problem, which I had before updating to beta version, 3.1 b2 is running great.

Guest kendon
Could someone post the .apk file for the latest version of Titanium Backup as I can't download anthing from the market and want to do a clean install to see if that helps, other than that problem, which I had before updating to beta version, 3.1 b2 is running great.

imho the correct way would be to ask the dev: http://android.modaco.com/content/software...gs-of-any-apps/

Guest keefsloan

Firstly, Paul and the rest of the ROM cookers and coders, thank you for all your hard work in making the Hero the phone of the moment (I'm ignoring the Nexus in that statement because I don't think it's the quantum leap that the press are trying to have everyone believe). You're making my wife hate me because I keep on trying out different ROMS when I get home of an evening, and ignore the household chores. Oh well, it sure beats the hell out of Eastenders!!

I took the plunge and paid up to the ad-free Modaco, mainly because of a poster in this thread mentioning that he thought it was the right and proper thing to do. I agree. I've taken wise advice from you and the other members, you've saved my bacon and have opened my eyes to the beauty of the Android platform. And I've played about with ROMS you've taken time to develop almost ad infinitum. So this is my way of saying "thanks". You deserve it.

I'm currently using MCR 2.8 / Teknologist 1.91 / JH_6.35.08.29 and my Hero is running oh-so-sweet. I've stripped out all the superfluous ROM rubbish that I don't need in a communication device (footprints, message widget, games etc.), and I've tried the new 3.1 ROM and...I can't say that I notice any difference. My phone doesn't feel any snappier in the UI, apps don't load any faster, the rotation speed is the same, the keyboard is the same speed of input etc. Everything feels as it did before. Now before I'm shot down in flames I should point out that's not a bad thing, but with all the other feedback on here about 3.1 being super fast etc. I'm wondering whether

a) I'm missing a trick (and yes, I did a factory wipe before install etc. I run a number of Linux boxes at home for "fun" so I'm pretty comfortable with recovery images and the shell etc.) or,

B) others have had dog slow phones for whatever reason (their "normal") and the jump to 3.1 has really opened their eyes.

It's a bit like HD TV over here - the US are raving about it beacuse the NTSC system was so poor comapred to the PAL system that it was a paradigm shift for them, whereas for us it was simply "oh, now I can see the spot on the end of that actors nose. How quaint...". Anyway, back on topic...

I'd be interested in anyones thoughts on this. So far I seem to be the only person that DOESN'T notice a difference jumping to 3.1 (BTW, 2.9 and 3.0 were a backwards step for me. I kept coming back to 2.8 with the latest radio and Teks 1.91 kernal). Am I a freak or unique??? :)

Guest skenmy
I'd be interested in anyones thoughts on this. So far I seem to be the only person that DOESN'T notice a difference jumping to 3.1 (BTW, 2.9 and 3.0 were a backwards step for me. I kept coming back to 2.8 with the latest radio and Teks 1.91 kernal). Am I a freak or unique??? B)

Obviously everyone's phones are different. We all have different background apps running, different setups with SD cards and whatnot. My speed increase was noticeable, but the 2.x (& 3.0) series was already fast enough for me!

I got slightly peeved at the laggyness of the keyboard in the latest 2.x build (3.0), but this has gone in 3.1 Beta 2. It's just like the phone I imagined now. Shame i'm considering a Nexus One... :)

Guest Olatho
Obviously everyone's phones are different. We all have different background apps running, different setups with SD cards and whatnot. My speed increase was noticeable, but the 2.x (& 3.0) series was already fast enough for me!

I got slightly peeved at the laggyness of the keyboard in the latest 2.x build (3.0), but this has gone in 3.1 Beta 2. It's just like the phone I imagined now. Shame i'm considering a Nexus One... :)

The same for me. The only really noticeable imrovement with 3.1 Beta 2 was that the keyboard feels much smoother. It is probably a lot of other improvements as well, but that has been the only thing that has annoyed me, and it's now fixed, so I am quite happy.

Guest kkempe
Yay, HTC widgets finally work on my devIce now! :)

P

Hey Paul, how to get the new htc widgets as I don't see them anymore. Do I have to wipe?

Thanks in advance. And if you don't like the nexus you bought, I will take it :-)

EDIT: WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH MY PHONE??? It isn't mine anymore. You exchanged it! This rom is the fastest, i ever seen. That's the way, our hero has to be. Even if I scroll through contacts or a folder with a lot of files in it, this device runs rapidly. Jezz. Keyboard now is as well as it has to be. Thanks a lot, your work is much appreciated!!!

Edited by kkempe

Guest Keramidas
This one will stay for a few days now I think... B)

P

Hi Paul,

I don't have the credentials (yet) to try your latest Beta ROM, but do you plan to include Titanium Backup ? I haven't seen it mentioned yet in your changelogs.

Guest pandablue

9.99 on it's way to you Paul,

start downloading,

one Question before i apply the .zip

Paul are you still planning to release Chinese version of MCR, or there won't be C-MCR any more?

Great Job, Your are the MAN!!!!!

If you are happy for me to bundle it in keramidas, then I will! Is there a link where I can grab an always-current APK?

I still want to do Chinese MCR yeah, maybe when 3.1 is finished that should be key new feature for 3.2!

P

Guest Bol2riz

Already said but I confirm that backup->wipe->restore just for those new HTC widgets is a real waste of time.

I've done it and they are totally useless lol

If you have a clean working MCR beta 1 or 2 and don't feel the need of those widgets wait for other release (beta or final).

My opinion...

Cheers

Guest Bol2riz
Hi Paul,

I don't have the credentials (yet) to try your latest Beta ROM, but do you plan to include Titanium Backup ? I haven't seen it mentioned yet in your changelogs.

Might be a good idea

Guest Dan Mullen

I don't know whether this is just a network problem or what, but I am currently unable to send or receive texts. Someone contacted me to ask if I got their text, I said "No" so they resent it. It still didn't arrive so I tried texting them, but I keep getting the "Unable to send" error message.

Has anyone else had problems with texts?

Edit: I should have stated - I'm on Orange UK.

Edited by Dan Mullen

Guest pandablue
If you are happy for me to bundle it in keramidas, then I will! Is there a link where I can grab an always-current APK?

I still want to do Chinese MCR yeah, maybe when 3.1 is finished that should be key new feature for 3.2!

P

Good News, i may still have chance to use CMCR..

Bad News is .... 20KB/s drive me crazy....

Guest pandablue
I will start a seperate thread about Chinese ver... as I don't really know what to include!

P

I think a basic version like what you did before should be OK, since we can install what we need by ourselves.

boot sound and default timezone +8 will be a plus.

Guest Dan Mullen
I don't know whether this is just a network problem or what, but I am currently unable to send or receive texts. Someone contacted me to ask if I got their text, I said "No" so they resent it. It still didn't arrive so I tried texting them, but I keep getting the "Unable to send" error message.

Has anyone else had problems with texts?

Edit: I should have stated - I'm on Orange UK.

Quick update on this... I've rebooted my phone but still can't send or receive texts. I've also checked with a friend who is on Orange UK and lives close by - they can send and receive fine :)

Any ideas?