10/Mar 3.2 - MoDaCo Custom ROM for GSM Hero (now with online kitchen)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest teknologist
Paul, I installed RC2 and it looks and feels great. However when I run the Titanium Backup and choose the Batch backup, it Force Closes. I hope this can be fixed. Also, I do not see the 4 new widgets in there at all.

Sincerely,

Kingkeld.

upgrade to latest version by installing from android market.

Works like a charm for me here !

Guest theFRAGGLE

Still no working WiFi. Installed RC2 (without a wipe), then the latest radio and again RC2. WiFi is not working.

Going back to 3.0 now...

Guest n1g3lt

so if i pay the 9.99 for 1 yr subscription(not the 29.99 option) i can download the eclair beta version for my HTC Hero?! :-) if so then ill get onto it now!!!

also....could some1 recommend an app that allow me to backup all my current apps and settings, ive tried a few but always blinkin end up having to reinstall everything (apps and settings) :-@ grrrrrrr....

cheers alll.....

Edited by n1g3lt

Guest teknologist

Usually I don't cross post but this time I will:

With MCR 3.1 RC2 my Hero is flying so fast I don't even know if I can handle it anymore!! ;-)

Seems Paul has found a software way to upgrade the CPU to a mighty 1Ghz snapdragon or even a ARM Cortex A9! :-)

Great work Paul! You are the Main Man ! :-)

Guest juno360

Hello!

Paul I was wondering if you used the apkopt as part of the optimizations you do?

Link: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=560271

With the hero, not everything can be optimized, I pulled most of the main application apks and optimised. Settings/HTC_IME/Google Apps should not be optimized as this causes FCs, but big important files such as Rosie.apk, Launcher.apk, Gmail.apk etc all work fine and there is a significant drop in size of the apk and it does seem faster overall. I also applied the optimization to the HTC framework in /system/framework but not the android one as this can cause problems.

Also I was wondering if at all it would be possible to include the default LatinIME.apk in the custom rom? Coming from a HTC Magic, I really do think the original keyboard is a bit more responsive. There's a thread here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=569928 , it seems as though HTC have purposely prevented it from being installed. Any help on this would be very much appreciated.

Guest Dan Mullen
so if i pay the 9.99 for 1 yr subscription(not the 29.99 option) i can download the eclair beta version for my HTC Hero?! :-) if so then ill get onto it now!!!

You can when it's available - at the moment we're still on cupcake remember :)

also....could some1 recommend an app that allow me to backup all my current apps and settings, ive tried a few but always blinkin end up having to reinstall everything (apps and settings) :-@ grrrrrrr....

Titanium Backup

Guest stripealipe
cheeky sod

Indeed, though i did start off the "Donate and buy Paul a Hero" fund months back to enable him to carry on development of ROMS.

And i then did donate my quids! And i was only asking!

Anyways, thanks Paul. Have PM'd you mate!

Guest n1g3lt
You can when it's available - at the moment we're still on cupcake remember B)

:) ooooooooops...hahahaha.....ok....i FAIL :-P thats prob why my status says 'newbie' :-P so the 9.99 will get me THIS BETA version?

Titanium Backup

Downloading as we speak....thanks dude, very much appreciated :-D

Edited by n1g3lt

Guest davey4444

Like a few others on here I've been a member for a little while and have only ever gleaned the free goodness from this site. Now this gives me the perfect motivation to try to help the work continue, looking forward to installing this later.

Guys, I have a feeling benchmarks are really irrelevant here, since they're designed to test raw hardware performance. Since we aren't exactly upgrading the chips inside our phones (though I certainly wouldn't mine a Snap), hardware benchmarks will mean pretty much nothing, as a well designed benchmark should give consistent results regardless of the ROM it runs on.

What we should be after is simply making the most out of the hardware that we do have, and that's what Paul's been doing. I'm rather grateful. : D

Guest commodoor

I have been using my hero through the day (8 am to 8:30 pm) the battery is at 50% and thats Great. it could be more because i use it intensively. this is what i did:

i listen music while traveling through a BT headset total listening time = 2 to 2:30 hours

I read refreshed my rss feeds (it downloads them to sd) en read them total time = 30 minutes (while listening music)

i was browsing the web with my phone total time 1 hour (while listening music)

browsing web (without music) 1 hour

I had a few calls total time = 30 minutes

i took 5 pictures

read twitter updates

sent 3 emails

and sync was on - also weather sync

Browsed the market

and some stuff i forgot

The rest was standby

I think the battery drain is doing well. i tested a lot of roms and the battery life was at its best with MCR.

PS: can the phone get any faster, this is how the hero really suposed to be. I wonder how fast the 1Ghz will perform (want the nexus one, have to wait here in netherland)

Guest intronauta

Great work, Paul!

Maybe you must recomend in first post do a wipe dalvik cache to recover space in /data?

Still Problems with the new widgets.

E/PackageManager( 392): Package com.htc.rosiewidgets.battery has no signatures that match those in shared user com.htc.rosie.uid.shared; ignoring!

W/PackageManager( 392): Package couldn't be installed in /data/app/com.htc.rosiewidgets.battery.apk

Guest T39andcounting

Possibly a stupid question, but does this ROM work on the HTC Magic AKA Sapphire? There doesn't seem to be much info in the Sapphire forum, apart from that the Modaco ROM Paul was developing seems to have been merged with this one due to similar hardware. I've got a Hero, but thinking of getting my OH a Magic as she's on Vodafone. Would be interested to see if we could be on the same ROM to aid my 'support' to her!

Guest kieranc
cheeky sod

I disagree. I was wondering the same, I donated previously (because I felt it was worthwhile, not because I was held to ransom for new ROMs) and that went directly to Paul who is doing the work. I'm sure Paul doesn't get as much from each person getting an ad free modaco membership as he did from each donation...

Great work, Paul!

Maybe you must recomend in first post do a wipe dalvik cache to recover space in /data?

Still Problems with the new widgets.

E/PackageManager( 392): Package com.htc.rosiewidgets.battery has no signatures that match those in shared user com.htc.rosie.uid.shared; ignoring!

W/PackageManager( 392): Package couldn't be installed in /data/app/com.htc.rosiewidgets.battery.apk

How do I wipe the dalvik cache?

BTJ

Guest intronauta
How do I wipe the dalvik cache?

BTJ

Do it since recovery option or since adb "/data/dalvik-cache/rm *" and reboot

Edited by intronauta

You'll find the option under 'Wipe' when you boot into Recovery B)

I don't have that option in my recovery... (maybe I should change my recovery image.....)

But deleted the files under /data/dalvik-cache :)

BTJ

Guest freeasabeer
Still no working WiFi. Installed RC2 (without a wipe), then the latest radio and again RC2. WiFi is not working.

Going back to 3.0 now...

Did you read Post #25 of this thread ?

Guest Dan Mullen
I don't have that option in my recovery... (maybe I should change my recovery image.....)

But deleted the files under /data/dalvik-cache :)

BTJ

If you reboot the phone, you'll find that it takes longer than usual to start up. This is because the dalvik-cache is being recreated, although this time the 30MB worth of .odex files in /system/app won't be created.