10/Mar 3.2 - MoDaCo Custom ROM for GSM Hero (now with online kitchen)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest kkempe

The problem with wiping is:

Of course I'll keep all applications because of app2sd BUT the aren't marked as installed in the market. Ergo I don't get any update information. So I have to reinstall them via market to get the update notifications again. And that is something I wanna prevent.

Guest kkempe
Have you done that with MCR for the Hero? Paul has moved certain apps to /data, so if you flash the ROM then wipe, you'll lose anything that was in /data - this includes Google Maps, the new HTC widgets, QuickOffice, Wifi Tether, etc...

I can confirm this. As well it is a logical behaviour, as stated these apps were moved to /data.

The problem with wiping is:

Of course I'll keep all applications because of app2sd BUT the aren't marked as installed in the market. Ergo I don't get any update information. So I have to reinstall them via market to get the update notifications again. And that is something I wanna prevent.

You need Titanium Backup! It solves this problem.

P

Guest kkempe
You need Titanium Backup! It solves this problem.

P

Means a last wipe is needed? Or can I do a backup, wipe, flash again and make a Titanium restore?

Edited by kkempe

Guest Mike Beecham

HI Paul...would you have any idea when 3.1 will be available for non premium users? I'e love to financially support you, but really can't afford it right now!

Guest kendon
Means a last wipe is needed? Or can I do a backup, wipe, flash again and make a Titanium restore?

that is exactly what you wanna do. haven't tried it myself, but when the guys say it works then it works. gonna (need to) do that, but i wait for 3.1 final.

btw i had never the slightest trouble with google maps...

Guest finucas
Updated wavesecure download...

P

Just updated to radios 63.18.55.06JU_6.35.09.26 aswell,

My phone calls are dropping and phone is rebooting?

Downgraded to:

63.18.55.06JU_6.35.08.29

Still dropping calls:(

Any help would be great, i also killed all apps to eliminate that problem

Guest airbat

Sorry to for this question again but are the HTC widgets like weather and fav contacts issues solved ?

with my phone those issues are :

- weather widget always force close rosie (htc sense error)

- fav contacts can't dial and just can edit the contacts

thx

Edited by airbat

Guest venturerider

I see ramzswap is included in this ROM.

Paul, I know I'm being a pest, but I really hope that the new self-serve kitchen will have an option to include ramzwap or not. I do not want ramzwap! I know I can remove it, but that would defeat to whole point of that kitchen, wouldn't it?

Also, I really really want the option to run the OEM kernel, in this case the one included in the .66 release. I'm running it now and the speed is phenomenal and the battery life too. No offence to the teknologist or the good work he does, but what tells me his kernel and tweaks and add-ons are really making *MY* phone better if I can't compare to stock kernel without the tweaks and add-ons? Besides, how do you define better? We all use our phones differently. Let me run stock for a week, then teknologist for a week, and then I will be able to tell what is best for *MY* phone.

It's a question of personal choice. I sincerely hope choice will be available. If not, I will be cooking my own ROMs, thank you very much, and I will have wasted the 10 pounds I just spent to become an ad-free member.

End of rant. Sorry, but I needed to be clear. Now I must wait and see...

Guest Don/Donald/Donnie

Paul and Tecknologist (and all the other unnamed contributors), many thanks for this.

I've got a Sim-free HTC Hero and I've flirted with most of the ROMs out there, the MCR is by far the only one on which I have a stable experience and is as close to perfect as we can expect, I guess, on 1.5.

I wiped, installed MCR 3.1 Beta 1, Beta 2, RC1 and RC2 (with no wipe between updating). Everything so far has been great for me, except that when I go into the "Superuser Permissions" application it just seems to hang (I noticed it first when accessing the Titanium Backup application: no options were given when the SU Permissions application opened). I've tried a restart of the phone to no avail. Is anyone else experiencing the same issue?

I'm guessing I may be able to reinstall the SU app? Can anyone give me guidance on this please?

Thanks

Don/Donald/Donnie

Guest finucas
Just updated to radios 63.18.55.06JU_6.35.09.26 aswell,

My phone calls are dropping and phone is rebooting?

Downgraded to:

63.18.55.06JU_6.35.08.29

Still dropping calls:(

Any help would be great, i also killed all apps to eliminate that problem

Ok reloaded the MoDaCo Rom, thanks again paul:D

And phone isnt dropping calls and rebooting anymore:D

I am not sure if it was upgrading the radio? because i downgraded it

and still had the problem,

I will hold out with the previous version just in-case,

Hope this helps anyone else with this problem.

Guest Konrad Walsh
Hello Paul and Forum Members,

This is my first post and I've never joined a forum before so please be gentle.

I've been reading this forum and decided to join ad free. I’m not very technical at all so please bear with me. I’m in the US and I recently purchased a Telus HTC Hero. I would like to ask some questions because I’m not finding many US Telus HTC Hero users.

Can someone not technical do this ROM update (I can use a ccomputer and follow directions)?

My Hero is stock untouched. What is the first thing I should do?

If I change the ROM will my Hero still work as it does now on the AT&T 3G network (mms, sms, etc...)?

Any suggestion or links to help is greatly appreciated. Thanks to all.

Regards,

Mo

Hi Mo

I looked but I don't see that anyone has replied to you yet.

Look here for a full how to... Just read everything over and over and it will be ok. Its not hard to do.. mostly the problems come from not reading everything.

I hope that helps

Hi Mo

I looked but I don't see that anyone has replied to you yet.

Look here for a full how to... Just read everything over and over and it will be ok. Its not hard to do.. mostly the problems come from not reading everything.

I hope that helps

Thank you for your help Konrad I really appreciate it. :)

Guest ptruman
I wiped, installed MCR 3.1 Beta 1, Beta 2, RC1 and RC2 (with no wipe between updating). Everything so far has been great for me, except that when I go into the "Superuser Permissions" application it just seems to hang (I noticed it first when accessing the Titanium Backup application: no options were given when the SU Permissions application opened). I've tried a restart of the phone to no avail. Is anyone else experiencing the same issue?

Ensure USB debug is enabled - if it's not, SU permissions won't work - known issue.

Guest Don/Donald/Donnie
Ensure USB debug is enabled - if it's not, SU permissions won't work - known issue.

Spot on @ptruman. Enabled USB debugging and it's working for me now.

Many thanks

Don

It's funny to see how people keep saying they can't afford this and can't afford that while they can afford to buy the hero :)

For me, this 9.99 pounds are well spent for the improvement I can gain. Comparing to the cost of the phone, this fee is nothing.

Plus some dummy keep saying they don't like the idea of paying for ROM, even if it costs something, I still don't see there's problem as Paul really spend his time to make it happen. It's not like he's getting something for free and sell it without putting in any effort.

Keep up the good work Paul, I'm going to flash my Hero after work tonight !

Guest MrPadie
Paul, I must just take this opportunity to say thank you. You have put so much of your own personal time and effort into expanding the features and usage of a lot of cell phone/smartphone models, and I commend you for that, to say the least. Using your ROM's, I am able to bring out the full potential of my Hero, and I am loving every minute of it. I am newly registered on the forums, but have been an active reader of them for some time now, and today, I purchased my subscription to just say thank you for your hard work and time spent.

I haven't even gotten around to loading this ROM yet, but I can be confident when I say that it will be something of great results, as with all your other ROM's.

Keep up the good work, and if you ever need some testing done, or even some help with anything, you give me a shout, and I'll be happy to help you out. It's the least I can do to say thank you (other then a donation :) ) for these amazing works of art. HTC/Google should really hire you to create their ROM's.

Keep well, and thank you once again.

Padie

...and might I add to this that I have just finished installing the new ROM, and my word...what a boost in speed and performance all round. Really, well done Paul - this is by far one of the best ROM's you have released, and so far, no issues have been found.

Padie

Guest Mike Beecham
It's funny to see how people keep saying they can't afford this and can't afford that while they can afford to buy the hero :)

Before I begin to go into how ill thought-out and overly patronising your post is, let me explain something to you. Yes, I have the Hero, and chose this phone on contract...so that I didnt have to pay for the phone outright. I have the phone because it's the best one that suits my business needs the most.

Believe it or not, there are actually some people in these forums that do not have disposable income at the moment, despite your patronising suggestion that anyone on the modaco forums would obviously that the money. Let me assure you, I AM one of the people that 'claim' to not be able to afford £9.99, whilst owning a £400+ mobile phone. Also believe it or not...I CANNOT pay £9.99 at the moment for a few financial reasons. This is not a situation I like to be in, but it is one that I find myself in at the moment.

That said, and without HAVING to justify my financial position to someone like you, let me suggest the following: Take some time to think through what you say before you say it. You dont have all the facts of people's situations, so please dont sit in judgement on them. You have already demonstrated your lack of forethought in your posts, I would ask that you dont make the same silly mistake twice.

WHEN I am in the position to pay £10 for something non-essential I will do so because I'm very into the concept of community, and I also firmly believe that we should support people like Paul, who give up thier time for our benefit...for nothing. I absolutely and unreservedly agree that we should financially support Paul if we are able to, and should wait patiently for our freebies as and when they come to us.

In the meantime, it would make it so much easier for people like me without disposable income, if you didnt write posts that make us out to be liars!

Thanks

/endrant

Mike

It's cool peeps, I have no intention to exclude people from what i'm doing either, just making a living!

All release will ALWAYS come to everyone in due course!

P