10/Mar 3.2 - MoDaCo Custom ROM for GSM Hero (now with online kitchen)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest werziluk

Been doing some heavy using of RC2 now and I am still shocked at how well you make Sense work Paul, totally SHOCKED!!!

RC1 was possibly a little quicker but its a very very small difference for me and since I expect crashes, heavy lag and bugs from Sense, both versions are a blessing B)

Im a bit skeptical about Titanium Backup, not used it before. Dont like the UI and it seems a bit strange but now I have a stable ROM I guess I wont be needing to worry about it :)

Guest stevenz
Im a bit skeptical about Titanium Backup, not used it before. Dont like the UI and it seems a bit strange but now I have a stable ROM I guess I wont be needing to worry about it :)

Main use I see for it is backing up your settings before doing a wipe if you've got a couple of apps that take a bit of mucking around to configure. The only app I use that has any config in it of any merit is the XBMC Remote.

I've ripped that out, Rosie, dropbear, A2SD and a bunch of widgets & apps. Lots of RAM and nice & snappy. I've only got about 5 extra non-standard apps installed so storage isn't an issue.

Well, looks like you have thought through your post before sending it out and have your ass covered in every direction by saying you totally agree to pay.

If you understand and respect people's time and effort on this free stuff, then stop sound like these rom chef like Paul owe you something.

Enough said, good luck to your financial needs.

Before I begin to go into how ill thought-out and overly patronising your post is, let me explain something to you. Yes, I have the Hero, and chose this phone on contract...so that I didnt have to pay for the phone outright. I have the phone because it's the best one that suits my business needs the most.

Believe it or not, there are actually some people in these forums that do not have disposable income at the moment, despite your patronising suggestion that anyone on the modaco forums would obviously that the money. Let me assure you, I AM one of the people that 'claim' to not be able to afford £9.99, whilst owning a £400+ mobile phone. Also believe it or not...I CANNOT pay £9.99 at the moment for a few financial reasons. This is not a situation I like to be in, but it is one that I find myself in at the moment.

That said, and without HAVING to justify my financial position to someone like you, let me suggest the following: Take some time to think through what you say before you say it. You dont have all the facts of people's situations, so please dont sit in judgement on them. You have already demonstrated your lack of forethought in your posts, I would ask that you dont make the same silly mistake twice.

WHEN I am in the position to pay £10 for something non-essential I will do so because I'm very into the concept of community, and I also firmly believe that we should support people like Paul, who give up thier time for our benefit...for nothing. I absolutely and unreservedly agree that we should financially support Paul if we are able to, and should wait patiently for our freebies as and when they come to us.

In the meantime, it would make it so much easier for people like me without disposable income, if you didnt write posts that make us out to be liars!

Thanks

/endrant

Mike

Edited by hamh

Guest stevenz
It's a question of personal choice. I sincerely hope choice will be available. If not, I will be cooking my own ROMs, thank you very much, and I will have wasted the 10 pounds I just spent to become an ad-free member.

It was your choice to try out the beta, caveat emptor. If you have that much desire to disable compcache/ramzswap and use the other kernel, then just do so yourself, it's not hard and indeed quite minor if you've got the ability to cook your own rom. Heck, you could write a basic adb script to do it automatically in a few lines.

Guest AlThePost

Wow..... just wow! This ROM is the mutt's nuts, Paul.

Went from 2.8 + Tek's 1.91 to Beta1 via a wipe without issues. RC1 & RC2 have since updated flawlessly without wiping. No problems to report with anything, either stock or third-party. I've been thrashing it every way possible today and it hasn't missed a beat.

Al

Guest ptruman

RC2 is *seriously* slower than RC1...I had RC1 running all yesterday, and RC2 all today.

RC2 is laggy from wakeup, laggy on scroll and generally slow to respond - it's got worse through the day (even after reboots) & Touch Input has crashed twice and it's quite icky to use - whereas RC1 is like silk on glass.

Edited by ptruman

Guest evilive27
RC2 is *seriously* slower than RC1...I had RC1 running all yesterday, and RC2 all today.

RC2 is laggy from wakeup, laggy on scroll and generally slow to respond - it's got worse through the day (even after reboots) & Touch Input has crashed twice and it's quite icky to use - whereas RC1 is like silk on glass.

That's why they are betas...for us to test and report any problems. I'm sure the next release will address any problems. I'm running rc 2 but I do find it slightly slower but not laggy yet. No fc either....yet

Guest masterpfa

Hi peeps, just my feedback on the latest RC2.

I have had no problems with speed or lag, that has been noticeable, over RC1 or any force closure issues.

I have, however, experienced problems similar to keef319 & PrinzEisenherz1 that being unable to find apps in the

market, among these being the popular items such as Barcode Scanner, Layar Reality Browser and a few others.

Luckily I had these backed up so installed them using my backups and then updating them with atrack dog.

I had done a clean wipe prior to install along with a format of my SD Card.

Another problem I have encountered is with Titanium Backup. I decided to update, this is an option when Titanium is started and I am currently on version 2.2.4. This now does not show in my list of installed apps and I have resulted in accessing the market to start this app, has any one else experienced this?

:)

Edited by masterpfa

Guest ptruman
Another problem I have encountered is with Titanium Backup. I decided to update, this is an option when Titanium is started and I am currently on version 2.2.4. This now does not show in my list of installed apps and I have resulted in accessing the market to start this app, has any one else experienced this?

:)

Yes - you need to uninstall it, then reinstall from the Market - cured my problems.

Guest ptruman

For the time being I've gone back to RC1 (I kept a download handy) and even with no wipe it's quicker :)

(yes, I know it's a beta, this is just my feedback)

FYI my benchmarks were posted here : http://android.modaco.com/index.php?s=&amp...t&p=1150775

As you can see, the CPU was quicker in RC2, but file system score was heavily reduced (36 down to 16) - not sure if that's a clue? (I have a class 6 SD card with Apps2SD partitioned up)

Guest werziluk

For anybody having missing app issues (from the market) there is a fix but its a bit of a long winded one.

First do a Nandroid backup of where you are now.

Then do a full wipe of data, dalvik and ext partition. (You may also need to wipe or temporarily move some files off your SD card but try doing it without first).

Then install AOSPr6 by Jnwhiteh over at htcpedia LINK.

At the start screen set up your google account.

Then install one protected app eg Twidroid Free/Pro.

Now just restore you MCR backup (without wiping anything).

Those experiencing the problems have likely had a previous ROM that has market issues. For some reason this ROM by JNWhiteh seems to have a perfectly working market. Im sure its possible to use another ROM eg a previous MCR one but I have tried and tested with the above linked ROM and can confirm it worked for me.

Edited by werziluk

Guest Mike Beecham
For anybody having missing app issues (from the market) there is a fix but its a bit of a long winded one.

First do a Nandroid backup of where you are now.

Then do a full wipe of data, dalvik and ext partition. (You may also need to wipe or temporarily move some files off your SD card but try doing it without first).

Sorry to be a noob, but how exactly would you delete dalvik? I have linda file manager, and went into the data folder, but could not see it? Again, sorry for noobishness?

Thanks

Guest werziluk
Sorry to be a noob, but how exactly would you delete dalvik? I have linda file manager, and went into the data folder, but could not see it? Again, sorry for noobishness?

Thanks

I use a custom recovery to do it, what recovery do you use to flash ROM's? Amons recent version allows you to wipe dalvik cache and the ext partition.

I upgraded 3.0 to 3.1rc2 yesterday without doing anything except a nand backup + titanium backup. Everything run fine, no issues with missing apps, wifi etc. An additional benefit is that market enabler works again. Phone is definitely more responsive and faster. Great work! Look forward tö the final version and "kitchen".

Guest btnelson

Paid for subscription after all the positive comments about 3.1 and a great experience with 3.0 to date. Downloaded and installed no problem (was running MCR 3.0) and kept all my settings and data so if anyone is wondering, seems pretty safe. Defintely seems faster on boot - 1min30s to lock screen, maybe 2min to network connected. Feels a bit quicker than 3.0 on use but will have to play some more to confirm. This will be my new daily ROM while I try out some of the 2.1 build occasionally. Thanks for the great work!

Guest Mike Beecham
I use a custom recovery to do it, what recovery do you use to flash ROM's? Amons recent version allows you to wipe dalvik cache and the ext partition.

I'm using an older Cyanogen one...and want to get onto the Amon Ra, but not sure how to do it!

*EDIT

*sigh*, it's getting worse. I found an instructional on downloading flashrec.apk and the latest amon-ra image. I installed flashrec, but it keeps giving me an error when trying to backup. It tells me "backed FAILED: Could not run command".

Help!!!

Thanks

Edited by Mike Beecham

Guest Nesousx

Hi all,

I would be very interested in this rom, and will get a subscription for sure in order to try it. However, I have a question before buying, does this update require a wipe (currently using 3.0)? Or is it just recommended (but like highly recommended)?

Thanks in advance.

PS: I did a quick search, but couldn't find a real answer.

Guest Dan Mullen
Hi all,

I would be very interested in this rom, and will get a subscription for sure in order to try it. However, I have a question before buying, does this update require a wipe (currently using 3.0)? Or is it just recommended (but like highly recommended)?

Thanks in advance.

PS: I did a quick search, but couldn't find a real answer.

No wipe required coming from 3.0.