10/Mar 3.2 - MoDaCo Custom ROM for GSM Hero (now with online kitchen)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest TeunieChun

Hey Paul,

Just wanted to say thanks for your work on this ROM: you make my phone the phone it should have been, so: thanks =D. I just subscribed for Ad Free; can't wait to check out 3.1 and of course your kitchen! Now I have to wait until my bank / PayPal has processed the paying.

Again, thank you very much and keep up the good work!

Teun

Hi all,

I would be very interested in this rom, and will get a subscription for sure in order to try it. However, I have a question before buying, does this update require a wipe (currently using 3.0)? Or is it just recommended (but like highly recommended)?

Thanks in advance.

PS: I did a quick search, but couldn't find a real answer.

No wipe required. BUT, if you want to be sure a 100% that everything works smoothly as possible, you'd better wipe...

Only my advice.

Guest Nesousx
No wipe required. BUT, if you want to be sure a 100% that everything works smoothly as possible, you'd better wipe...

Only my advice.

Maybe I'll do it, but is there a good way to backup and restore apps, data, everything?

Guest Dan Mullen

Only my advice.

I've only wiped once - when going from stock to MCR 2.2. Upgraded lots of times since then and never wiped.

Guest commodoor
I'm using an older Cyanogen one...and want to get onto the Amon Ra, but not sure how to do it!

*EDIT

*sigh*, it's getting worse. I found an instructional on downloading flashrec.apk and the latest amon-ra image. I installed flashrec, but it keeps giving me an error when trying to backup. It tells me "backed FAILED: Could not run command".

Help!!!

Thanks

Same error here to, can someone plz tel how to fix this.

Guest Nesousx

@commodoor:

I just updated to Ramon, using this tuto, worked fine! Maybe you should give a try. You shouldn't have to use that flashrec.apk file.

Edited by Nesousx

I just updated to Ramon, using this tuto, worked fine!

Fine, so now, you should be able to backup using Nandroid backup or, equal, downloading MyBackup Pro on the market (free for 30 days). Those are really good solutions. I also believe that in RC2, you may use titanium Backup...Have fun.

Guest Nesousx
Fine, so now, you should be able to backup using Nandroid backup or, equal, downloading MyBackup Pro on the market (free for 30 days). Those are really good solutions. I also believe that in RC2, you may use titanium Backup...Have fun.

Actually, my message was for commodoor (forgot to quote him). I am not really planning to wipe. I already upgraded to 3.1 and did a nand backup with my good old Cyanogen 1.4. I was just curious to try the RA rom.

Thanks, though.

Edited by Nesousx

Guest Mike Beecham
@commodoor:

I just updated to Ramon, using this tuto, worked fine! Maybe you should give a try. You shouldn't have to use that flashrec.apk file.

I was interested in this also, but it presupposes you know how to adb, which I dont...any chance we could break it down simpler? Thanks so much fro your help.

Guest masterpfa

People things are looking good...

Hopefully come Monday, Paul's latest ROM should go live, I think you'll all love it.

http://android.modaco.com/content/htc-hero...tom-custom-rom/

This will hopefully satisfy all those that prefer to remove aspects of a ROM i.e HTC mail etc.

I've been lucky enough to have a pre-trial of this ROM from this morning and I'm loving it!

Paul you truly are THE MAN!!

:)

Guest jnwhiteh
or you should simply check your build.prop and modify the fingerprint

Unfortunately, that doesn't work.. The market 'fix' is incredibly difficult, as detailed in my post on these forums.

Guest Nesousx
I was interested in this also, but it presupposes you know how to adb, which I dont...any chance we could break it down simpler? Thanks so much fro your help.

Check this post. Download the zip file, unzip.

Plug in your phone to your computer.

Open a command prompt (Run > Execute > enter "cmd"), go to the directory you extracted the file downloaded, and type what is written in the "Install" part of the tutorial I gave you: here, depending on whether or not you already installed a custom recovery image (which I guess is not), BUT make sure to replace "adb" by "adb-windows" and "fastboot" by "fastboot-windows". For example :

adb-windows shell reboot bootloader

fastboot-windows boot recovery-RA-hero-v1.5.2.img

adb-windows shell mount /sdcard

adb-windows push recovery-RA-hero-v1.5.2.img /sdcard/recovery-RA-hero-v1.5.2.img

adb-windows shell flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-RA-hero-v1.5.2.img

adb-windows shell reboot

Should work!

PS & edit: Thx Kendon, fixed. :)

Edited by Nesousx

Guest kendon
adb-windows shell reboot bootloader

fastboot-windows boot recovery-RA-hero-v1.5.2.img

adb-windows shell mount /sdcard

adb-windows push recovery-RA-hero-v1.5.2.img /sdcard/recovery-RA-hero-v1.5.2.img

adb-windows shell flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-RA-hero-v1.5.2.img

adb-windows shell reboot

Should work!

B)

edit: yeyyy post #500 :)

Edited by kendon

Guest commodoor
@commodoor:

thnx. i did it.

im a linux user so i thought adb won't work in linux but i managed to get it working.

Guest Nesousx
thnx. i did it.

im a linux user so i thought adb won't work in linux but i managed to get it working.

Out of curiosity, did it worked with wine?

Edited by Nesousx

Guest keyra74
Unfortunately, that doesn't work.. The market 'fix' is incredibly difficult, as detailed in my post on these forums.

tell me which apps are missing cuz i see everything.. i think :)

Guest commodoor
Out of curiosity, did it worked with wine?

No Just with the sdk but i had to do something first. in the beginning it didn't get access tot the phone.

I had to make a file called "51-android.rules" and put the next line in "SUBSYSTEM==usb, SYSFS{idVendor}==0bb4, MODE=0666"

This is what i did:

sudo touch /etc/udev/rules.d/51-android.rules

sudo bash -c "echo SUBSYSTEM==\"usb\", SYSFS{idVendor}==\"0bb4\", MODE=\"0666\" > /etc/udev/rules.d/51-android.rules"

sudo /etc/init.d/udev restart

killall adb

I'm running ubuntu karmic, and i got it form xda-developers.com

if you don't make the file, you don't get permissions to your phone.

btw - i'm not a fan of windows applications so i don't use wine :)

Edited by commodoor

Guest Dan Mullen
Why google maps was removed in this ROM? Is there a better option?

It hasn't been removed - it's there in /data. If you wiped after flashing it'll be gone.

Guest Bruno Braga
It hasn't been removed - it's there in /data. If you wiped after flashing it'll be gone.

Sorry, how can I reinstall it?

There is an apk for google maps?

Guest slimfady
For anybody having missing app issues (from the market) there is a fix but its a bit of a long winded one.

First do a Nandroid backup of where you are now.

Then do a full wipe of data, dalvik and ext partition. (You may also need to wipe or temporarily move some files off your SD card but try doing it without first).

Then install AOSPr6 by Jnwhiteh over at htcpedia LINK.

At the start screen set up your google account.

Then install one protected app eg Twidroid Free/Pro.

Now just restore you MCR backup (without wiping anything).

Those experiencing the problems have likely had a previous ROM that has market issues. For some reason this ROM by JNWhiteh seems to have a perfectly working market. Im sure its possible to use another ROM eg a previous MCR one but I have tried and tested with the above linked ROM and can confirm it worked for me.

This actually works,

I can now find twidroid

Thanx

guys 1 thing. this rom uses pre-made odex files and theming becomes almost impossible if a rom uses odex files. for example i have made a change in rosie.apk. previously i just pushed it to phone and it worked. but now i cant do it. i cant make odex file so wont be able to make themes for these odex roms anymore. :)

so is there a way to make odex files from newly created apk in computer or any process which will auto generate odex file in phone? cheers

guys 1 thing. this rom uses pre-made odex files and theming becomes almost impossible if a rom uses odex files. for example i have made a change in rosie.apk. previously i just pushed it to phone and it worked. but now i cant do it. i cant make odex file so wont be able to make themes for these odex roms anymore. :)

so is there a way to make odex files from newly created apk in computer or any process which will auto generate odex file in phone? cheers

have you tried deleting rosie.odex, just leaving your modified rosie.apk?

look for smali/baksmali, afaik that are the tools for messing with odex files. can't tell you anymore, sorry.