10/Mar 3.2 - MoDaCo Custom ROM for GSM Hero (now with online kitchen)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest commodoor
In contrast to the iPhone the Android devices allow multitasking. That's a good thing since it allows you to have multiple applications running and lets you switch between them. But it's also a bad thing since the phone will become sluggish when you have many applications running and you go low on RAM. The iPhone avoids this problem by allowing the user to only run one application at any time.

The solution is to install a task manager and kill off some tasks to free up some memory before handing the phone to your friends :) I recomment ES Task Manager with a "quick kill" widget so you can hit a single button to free up memory.

I know that but even if i killed every server it still isn't smooth. i'm using taskiller. Even when i almost "killed" every service its stil lag sometimes.

I think it would be better if the apps would be cached (ok maybe not posible for Paul, but HTC) this will make it a little smoother (i think).

just installed 3.1 from stock htc. did wipes and also updated radio with no probs at all. Love the new animations and transistions very cool. All working fine google maps ect. cool new setting for ringtones as well Love this rom well done PAUL you are the man

Guest btnelson

Upgrade to 3.2 successful. Will comment more if I notice any major differences/bugs. MCR 3.1 RC2 has been excellent so far. Don't know how you turn these things around so fast. I'm busy running through the Android Development Kit tutorials. Need to rewire my brain ;-)

Guest Ibanez33

Upgraded from baked 3.1 without wipe and Still running smooth so far :)...

Although does anyone know of a good app to backup sms and contacts and I want to try doing a wipe before upgrading to see if theres any difference.

As I use a mac syncing isn't an option....

Guest jeroenhero

Sooo.... I'm offically addicted to cheesecake, Randy Newman and updating to a new modaco rom as soon as it is published.

Thanks Paul! I have a (unbelievable, yet true) much faster Hero now. No wipe, just updated.

And I love that

adb logcat

almost stands still when the phone is fully booted and left untouched. Not many roms do that, I can tell you.

@jeroen

Edited by jeroenhero

Guest stevenz
Upgraded from baked 3.1 without wipe and Still running smooth so far :) ...

Although does anyone know of a good app to backup sms and contacts and I want to try doing a wipe before upgrading to see if theres any difference.

As I use a mac syncing isn't an option....

I use MissingSync on my Mac, works fine, better to just try and use gmail-sync as a preference though.

Contacts should be synched to Google anyway, otherwise you can use WaveSecure to back everything up.

Guest knightflyer

Firstly great job Paul with the ROM's and now the kitchen, just waiting for ad free membership to kick in, however when I click on any link in the 3.1 update thread to download the new ROM or wavesecure or .... I am redirected to the wimo homepage on modaco :) . I have cleared caches, history, cookies, rebooted to no avail. Copy and paste link with same result, oh yeah and I am logged in B) . Anyone else with this problem or am I on my own to scratch my head?? Thanks in advance for any help.

Guest JadeMonkee

Hi Paul, is there any way I can check what options I selected when I downloaded my ROM yesterday? I can't seem to remember what I included/excluded...

It could be a good idea to have a text file generated and saved within the zip file, so that I know what each ROM contains/excludes.

Or else have the ROM filename somehow represent what apps were included/excluded.

Just a thought.

Cheers.

Guest Dark Riderz
Firstly great job Paul with the ROM's and now the kitchen, just waiting for ad free membership to kick in, however when I click on any link in the 3.1 update thread to download the new ROM or wavesecure or .... I am redirected to the wimo homepage on modaco :) . I have cleared caches, history, cookies, rebooted to no avail. Copy and paste link with same result, oh yeah and I am logged in B) . Anyone else with this problem or am I on my own to scratch my head?? Thanks in advance for any help.

try to right click on the link and do save page as...

Guest JadeMonkee

Also make sure you are logged in on the WinMo site, not just the Hero/Android site. That happened to me, y'see.

Guest phillevy

Sorry if this has already been answered but can the included Titanium backup only be updated by an update.zip as I notice the market is not aware of it. The market version is already a later one.

Guest Sharkiy
You don't have to run it - you just open the app that needs root access, like Titanium Backup, and it will pop up with a screen asking you to allow access. If you click "Allow always" it will remember for next time.

Sorry the fist step were to run titanium but su hangs. I have look some ways to update su and many more but nothing happens.

Hajo

Guest Dan Mullen
Sorry if this has already been answered but can the included Titanium backup only be updated by an update.zip as I notice the market is not aware of it. The market version is already a later one.

You can just install the Market version over the top of it.

Good morning Gentleman,

does anybody have a solution to keep wifi connection on the Hero 24/7? I already have configured the advanced wifi settings, but after a few hours it drops the connection. Any help is appreciated.

Guest keyra74

error found in build.prop, i was wondering why i couldn't see pay apps

MCR 3.2 build.prop : ro.build.fingerprint=htc_wwe/htc_hero/hero/hero:1.5/2.73.405.5/61267:user/

MCR 3.1 build.prop : ro.build.fingerprint=htc_wwe/htc_hero/hero/hero:1.5/2.73.405.5/61267:user/release-keys

tried to modify and after reboot it doesn't keep my new build.prop

Edited by keyra74

Use morelocale, linked in the main MCR post.

P

Thx MASTER ;-))

I will try this. But I reverted to a previous 3.1 baked (I cook a lot since a while...)

Waiting for the RC of this 3.2 and, of course to the 4.0.

Thrilling !!!

A billions thanks for your work, once again.

I'm getting the same. How did you reinstall it? (I'm very very new to all this so noddy steps please!)

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Ok, this might be cumbersome because I don't have a lot of experience with the Android too. Here it goes anyway.

You will need the Android SDK.

1) Install the Android SDK

2) On your device: Menu -> settings -> applications -> development -> USB debugging ON (I have a localized android, so the names in english are a guess)

3) PC: (Admin) CMD into <drive>:\<SDK install location>\tools

4) PC: run adb pull /data/app/<blah>.maps.apk

5) Device: Menu -> settings -> applications -> manage applications -> google maps -> remove

6) Reboot device

7) PC: run adb install <blah>.maps.apk

Should be working now. Good luck.

build.prop seems a little bit strange to me too. it contains uk-specific things compoaring to previous wwe settings.

I also suggest adding

ro.ril.hsxpa=2

ro.ril.gprsclass=12

ro.ril.enable.dtm=1

ro.ril.hsdpa.category=8

ro.ril.enable.a53=1

ro.ril.enable.3g.prefix=

to the file, this improves 3g speed up to 100%, and causes no performance or battery problems.

error found in build.prop, i was wondering why i couldn't see pay apps

MCR 3.2 build.prop : ro.build.fingerprint=htc_wwe/htc_hero/hero/hero:1.5/2.73.405.5/61267:user/

MCR 3.1 build.prop : ro.build.fingerprint=htc_wwe/htc_hero/hero/hero:1.5/2.73.405.5/61267:user/release-keys

tried to modify and after reboot it doesn't keep my new build.prop

Paul!

using the reply edit box of the forum with FF 3.6rc1 the cursor is missing and paste into the box doesnt work. could you please check, maybe there is an update of the control.

btw "fast reply" is not affected.

Guest opteron165

Will it have Chinese version?

Thanks!

and Can have Cht Hami Widget?

It's a great widget!!!!

thanks!!!

My English is not good

sorry!!

Edited by opteron165