10/Mar 3.2 - MoDaCo Custom ROM for GSM Hero (now with online kitchen)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest DrLaban

Flashed 2.0, was running 1.5.1, NO wipe. Works like a charm!

Now we`re talking SPEED DEMON :) GREAT work Paul!

I can see you as the "Swedish Cook" cooking the ROMs for us. BOSKI BOKSI BOOOO!!

TC%20Swedish%20Chef2.jpg

Guest barker77

having installed the new modaco rom im having problems in the messaging app (sms) threads just come up as loading for ages and dont do anything. Its the same with new texts that i send also.

Any ideas?

Guest padstar
For me 2.0 is of course still a massive improvement on stock, but it is not quite as snappy as 1.5 was.

There is not much in it, but I have noticed some VERY slight lag here and there.

Yeah I wasn't sure if it was just me but it does seem to be a tiny bit less snappy than 1.5.1. Still onwards and upwards as they say.

Many thanks for all your great work Paul, it has been a busy week for you.

Guest surfsmurf
I prefer English as my display language (mostly related to the fact that the Norwegian translations are ridiculous in places), but contrary to my stock Hero ROM where English (Norway) provides me with a Norwegian dictionary and thus auto suggests proper words with Æ, Ø and Å. The MoDaCo rom does not. However if i select Norwegian locale it will correctly choose the Norwegian dictionary.

True! I would like English with a Danish dictionary also... Let's see what the official Scandinavian firmware update is like when it comes out.

Guest Igniztion
True! I would like English with a Danish dictionary also... Let's see what the official Scandinavian firmware update is like when it comes out.

This is strange. I'm running English with Norwegian dictionary without any problems at all. When I choose English Locale, I still get loads of different languages in the Touch Input -> Keyboard Language, including Danish

Guest surfsmurf

And I just figured out how. It's a bit weird, but if I select "en_DK", I get English text and English dictionary. To get English text and a Danish dictionary, first select "da_DK", then "en". Not "en_GB", just "en". Even survives a reboot.

Guest Mark'Oh!
Paul, how do you remove WMSM ?

you can uninstall it from within android. to do that, go into settings/applications/manage applications, search for the app and delete it with two taps :)

same goes with custom locale.

Guest surfsmurf
This is strange. I'm running English with Norwegian dictionary without any problems at all. When I choose English Locale, I still get loads of different languages in the Touch Input -> Keyboard Language, including Danish

That's odd, I only see "English" in "Keyboard Language". It's not selected though, so it's using something else... wonder why Danish etc doesn't show up? I think I might try a wipe tonight.

I have managed to get it so show English text with a Danish dictionary in a roundabout way though... (see previous post)

I have create 2 partition on my SD card. One fat32 and a second ext3. But I don't know how to activate A2SD.

It's an automatic version in Modaco 2.0 but after reboot nothing append I have only the official internal memory.

Hi Paul,

I'm very new to the Hero and Android, love the updates, all working fantastically!

One question though, I have the Hero on Vodafone, white unlocked, and twitter (peep) will only work with wifi on, and will not with 3G or GPRS? is there anything that can be done about this?

I think this may be a port blocking thing from Vodafone, can the port being used be changed on the phone?

Many thanks for all you work!

Guest Mark'Oh!
has anyone expperienced a problem with sms no longer working properly after the core rom installation i.e not being able to see messages?

It's impossible for me to scroll beyond the second message in the sms-widget. Everything else seems to work fine, though.

--EDIT: Ok, i just sent a message to myself and everything seems back to normal again. maybe it helps by somehow updating the database.

And please, can anyone confirm that birthday sync IS working? do you see birthdays in your contacts beside the ones from facebook? so that i could exclude the custom rom from the list of possible error sources?

Edited by Mark'Oh!

Guest tone-fu

Chomp isn't working for me in this revision. It worked for 10 minutes after the initial installation now it's force closing when I press <send>. It was the default messaging app that was crashing in the last release (for me at least).

Hi Paul,

I'm very new to the Hero and Android, love the updates, all working fantastically!

One question though, I have the Hero on Vodafone, white unlocked, and twitter (peep) will only work with wifi on, and will not with 3G or GPRS? is there anything that can be done about this?

I think this may be a port blocking thing from Vodafone, can the port being used be changed on the phone?

Many thanks for all you work!

Hmmm, any ideas which port is being used etc?

P

Guest tone-fu

The Peep on Vodafone problem has been around since the device came out, I know dozens of people who can only use it on Wi-Fi and that was yonks ago. I think it's down to Skodafone blocking ports.

Guest surfsmurf
That's odd, I only see "English" in "Keyboard Language". It's not selected though, so it's using something else... wonder why Danish etc doesn't show up? I think I might try a wipe tonight.

It's a slow day at work, so I did a wipe, cleared app and dalvik-cache and reapplied V2.0.

I now get all the languages in the touch input menus!

Guest domifer
has anyone expperienced a problem with sms no longer working properly after the core rom installation i.e not being able to see messages?

I have just realized I have the same problem! I can list my messages but when i try to open one to see the content , the application hangs and keeps on showing "loading.."

Is this a bug? If we cannot read SMS-s than it is a serious issue :)

Any workaround, hint, etc? Paul?

Thanks!

The Peep on Vodafone problem has been around since the device came out, I know dozens of people who can only use it on Wi-Fi and that was yonks ago. I think it's down to Skodafone blocking ports.

If we can find out which port it's trying to go out on, then we could potentially remap the port on the device to route stuff over a port 80 to a server somewhere that then redirects on.

Bit excessive, but it's a start...?

P

Guest tone-fu
If we can find out which port it's trying to go out on, then we could potentially remap the port on the device to route stuff over a port 80 to a server somewhere that then redirects on.

P

I admire your thinking! I reckon it's doable but it would be a massive pain in the arse, wouldn't it?

Guest Igniztion

I just realized the sqlite3 executable is not in /system/bin . Has it been like this since the original ROM? I need to poke around in the mmssms.db to see what is causing chompSMS to force close when starting a new "conversation", eg. writing a message to someone that is not already in the conversations list.

Guest domifer
I have just realized I have the same problem! I can list my messages but when i try to open one to see the content , the application hangs and keeps on showing "loading.."

Is this a bug? If we cannot read SMS-s than it is a serious issue :)

Any workaround, hint, etc? Paul?

Thanks!

Update: I have sent 2 SMS to myself from another mobile phone, the HERO plays the notification sound but shows no visual notification , if I open the messages app. it doesn't even show the new SMS messages :)

I did a reboot just in case but it didn't help at all.

Can anyone confirm that they are running the 2.0 ROM (enhanced version) and have not this problem?

Edited by domifer

P

How could I find out what ports are being blocked by Vodafone, or what ports are being used by peep, is there a port analyser app for Android?

I will have a look around!

Thanks again Paul!