10/Mar 3.2 - MoDaCo Custom ROM for GSM Hero (now with online kitchen)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Tebo2K

It's probably me doing something wrong (just had to reinstall windows and everything else on my PC!) When using the online kitchen for 3.2, I get a 404 error when I click on bake... is it just me?

Iain

Guest kouray
It's probably me doing something wrong (just had to reinstall windows and everything else on my PC!) When using the online kitchen for 3.2, I get a 404 error when I click on bake... is it just me?

Iain

Same for me

Guest prupert

Edit, it appears I am a r-tard, so ignore my last post.

One question though, if you remove Rosie using the online kitchen, do you also remove all the HTC custom contacts (with facebook intergration) and messaging apps, or are you simply removing the fancy 5 screen home screens and the associated widgets?? I personally prefer the stock android home screen, and by removing Sense, I am guessing I will save ~30MB in memory, since Sense seems to randomly load in the background all the time.

Edited by prupert

Guest Dan Mullen
Edit, it appears I am a r-tard, so ignore my last post.

One question though, if you remove Rosie using the online kitchen, do you also remove all the HTC custom contacts (with facebook intergration) and messaging apps, or are you simply removing the fancy 5 screen home screens and the associated widgets?? I personally prefer the stock android home screen, and by removing Sense, I am guessing I will save ~30MB in memory, since Sense seems to randomly load in the background all the time.

AFAIK, the Facebook integration is part of HTC's Sense UI, so if you don't include Sense you'll lose that feature.

Guest Lawz Chia
Seems like the latest version only has english language and english dictionary. Is there a way to use the languages from the previous versions?

I was also looking for the one with chinese support...

Guest Bleep42

>> Paul,

>>

>> Were you aware that the version of busybox in 3.2 reintroduces the colour codes problem, whereby you get garbled output in Windows command prompt? Any chance you could update it so the busybox from 3.1 is used instead?

>>

>> Cheers,

>> Dan

>>>Hmmm, I should probably provide the choice of with or without!

>>>

>>>P

That would be the icing on the cake, (pun intended) <_<

You can always use the command:-

alias ls='ls --color=none'

Regards,

Kevin.

Guest icedancer

Since updating to MCR 3.2 I cannot download or update apps from the market.

the apps stay on "starting download" and the download never happens.

Anyone else with this problem?

Icedancer

Guest ZiCoN

Icedancer

I think it's a market issue... I tried updating my autokiller not long ago, and mine did the same. MCR3.1...

Guest Dan Mullen
I think it's a market issue... I tried updating my autokiller not long ago, and mine did the same. MCR3.1...

Also happened to me periodically on MCR3.1.

You can always use the command:-

alias ls='ls --color=none'

Regards,

Kevin.

[Edit:] Shouldn't that be

alias ls='ls --color=never'

?

I was going to do that, but do you know if there's a config file where it can be put so that it automatically affects all subsequently opened shell sessions? I couldn't find a shell profile/config anywhere; also $HOME doesn't seem to be defined.

That said, you could just use a terminal emulator which supports the colour codes. For Windows, Cygwin with Puttycyg does the job nicely, I've recently discovered. I assume if you're using Linux that they all do by default.

Edited by zorm

Guest deeone

Icedancer

Sometime i have this issue too with my mcr 3.0. I solved it logging out and then logging in again in google talk...it works like a charm for me <_<

Guest nicandris
I was going to do that, but do you know if there's a config file where it can be put so that it automatically affects all subsequently opened shell sessions? I couldn't find a shell profile/config anywhere; also $HOME doesn't seem to be defined.

That said, you could just use a terminal emulator which supports the colour codes. For Windows, Cygwin with Puttycyg does the job nicely, I've recently discovered. I assume if you're using Linux that they all do by default.

well i use ash everytime i boot a shell on the phone (supports previews commands etc etc) so i need to find the ash.profile (at least at linux is in the home folder of each user) so i can add that command there. any clues?

Guest nicandris

oh i found out how to change the SSH root passwd finally!! <_<

--> stored in this file /data/dropbear/passwd <--

and then reboot dropbear

Edited by nicandris

Guest zippyioa

Well I have tried almost all of the 2.1 ROMS over the last week or so and despite liking the extra funtionality (e.g. google navigation, google goggles, bluetooth file transfer etc) the current ROMS lack a few things.

Battery life (or lack of it) is the biggest problem on 2.1 at the moment. Add in the random reboots and force closes and 2.1 is very annoying.

To top that off the lack of ability to download pictures in emails has really started to bug me!

So, I have tried 2.1 and after playing with the wide range options I found myself back on my favourite ROM.

Pauls 3.2 is by far the most stable, smooth and consistent ROM I have used. Battery life rules and the signal always seems great. With the kitchen option on top its the best ROM by far.

I just hope Mr B gets his mitts on a decent 2.1 source soon and releases an equivalant 2.1 version which matches the wonderful 3.2!!!

Zippyioa

Guest dwattsy21

Couple of quick questions on what i need to do to get the best out of 3.2....

If i wipe my sd card, do i then need to re-partition it?

Should compache be enabled?? I keep reading it makes it quicker to disable it, but i didnt really find this... but i trust you guys more than myself!

And is there anything else i need to to do get the best from it? I use taskiller to kill any apps i am not using, but still get lag <_<

well i use ash everytime i boot a shell on the phone (supports previews commands etc etc) so i need to find the ash.profile (at least at linux is in the home folder of each user) so i can add that command there. any clues?

Where did you get ash from? Is it installed to replace the default shell or does it get run from within it? I'd like to give that a try myself. Do you have or can one get the source easily enough? If no one else can advise I reckon it'd be a matter of trawling the source code to see where, if anywhere, it loads a config from when $HOME is unset. Hopefully there's a location somewhere we can shove some config info. [Edit:] Slightly confused - according to ADB docs, ash is the default shell, but I thought ash offered an improvement over the default.

Hmm, here we go:

if (/* argv[0] && */ argv[0][0] == '-')

isloginsh = 1;

if (isloginsh) {

state = 1;

read_profile("/etc/profile");

state1:

state = 2;

read_profile(".profile");

}

state2:

This is from ash.c within busybox sources.

So, you should be able to get away with shoving the config in /system/etc/profile (as /etc links to /system/etc), however the config will only be used if the shell is invoked with --login. I've just tested this and it works. For some reason adb shell doesn't give you a login shell, but if you launch ash from within it via ash --login, your profile will be read.

Anyone know how to get adb shell to invoke a login shell & why it doesn't by default?

Edited by zorm

Guest nicandris
Where did you get ash from? Is it installed to replace the default shell or does it get run from within it? I'd like to give that a try myself. Do you have or can one get the source easily enough? If no one else can advise I reckon it'd be a matter of trawling the source code to see where, if anywhere, it loads a config from when $HOME is unset. Hopefully there's a location somewhere we can shove some config info. [Edit:] Slightly confused - according to ADB docs, ash is the default shell, but I thought ash offered an improvement over the default.

Hmm, here we go:

if (/* argv[0] && */ argv[0][0] == '-')

isloginsh = 1;

if (isloginsh) {

state = 1;

read_profile("/etc/profile");

state1:

state = 2;

read_profile(".profile");

}

state2:

This is from ash.c within busybox sources.

So, you should be able to get away with shoving the config in /system/etc/profile (as /etc links to /system/etc), however the config will only be used if the shell is invoked with --login. I've just tested this and it works. For some reason adb shell doesn't give you a login shell, but if you launch ash from within it via ash --login, your profile will be read.

Anyone know how to get adb shell to invoke a login shell & why it doesn't by default?

so i just create a folder like lets say /etc/root and i add in there the config? and then ash --login root

?

Edited by nicandris

Guest Dark Riderz
is there a way to enable only 2g network?

How to disable 3G

Go to the Phone app and dial *#*#INFO#*#*

Press Phone infomation

Scroll down untill you see "Set preferred network type:"

Press "CMDA auto (PRL)" and a list should pop up

Select "GSM only" in the list

Return to the Home screen by pressing the Home button <_<

so i just create a folder like lets say /etc/root and i add in there the config? and then ash --login root

?

Just create the file /system/etc/profile containing the config commands, & invoke the shell with ash -l (-l & --login are equivalent but it seems some shells don't offer --login). That all said, I'm basing this on what seems to work after a few minutes experimenting, nothing more - I have no idea if it's 100% safe & won't break something else.

Edited by zorm

Guest ZiCoN
How to disable 3G

Go to the Phone app and dial *#*#INFO#*#*

Press Phone infomation

Scroll down untill you see "Set preferred network type:"

Press "CMDA auto (PRL)" and a list should pop up

Select "GSM only" in the list

Return to the Home screen by pressing the Home button <_<

Can this be confirmed by others? (no offence, but it has been seen before that one can make something work, and others not) - * Tried it on my 3.1 that works... Should have done that in the first place.. sorry...

And do the 3.2 inherrit the T9 dic's when upgrading from eg 3.1 without wipe?

Edited by ZiCoN

Guest sol-invictus

Hi!

The MoDaCo 3.2 ROM is working good and very fast! Thx!

I have just one issue with openvpn - is there any possibility to integrate openvpn in the next version?

I tried to use OpenVPN installer and OpenVPN settings from Android Market, everything worked except it needs ifconfig on /system/xbin/bb/ifconfig

As the developer suggested here http://github.com/fries/android-external-o.../issues#issue/2 it would be wise to include openvpn into the ROM because there is no standard like LSB on desktops...

In the meantime i can set a link to ifconfig, but a clean way would be nice!

Guest afiorillo

I was able to add Italian local via MoreLocale from the Market, but how can I add the Italian dictionary to the touch input? Tha 3.1 ROM had all locales built-in, this one has English only.

Thank you.

Never mind, although there's no "Italian" option in the touch input locale settings page, the dictionary actually works in Italian. :-)

Edited by afiorillo