10/Mar 3.2 - MoDaCo Custom ROM for GSM Hero (now with online kitchen)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest JonnyG_UK
I might try this. I dont many texts to lose as I didnt get any of them :) Only got the phone today.

Does the wipe delete any backups? I assume you do the wipe, then reboot, then install the update and then reboot again?

It doesn't delete Nandroid backups, no.

Guest JonnyG_UK
I dont think the wipe will work reading the previous posts about it being a database issue.

Newbie question... how do I get the adb shell to write the command to my phone?? I'm running Vista.

Connect your phone to your PC, and hold Power + Home (im assuming you have Cyanogen on the phone).

Open the command prompt (Windows Key + R, then type 'cmd')

Browse to the Android SDK directory (assuming you have it installed) then go into the tools folder

(type this into command prompt:

cd\

cd PATH TO ANDROID SDK DIRECTORY\tools)

then type adb shell

*Some* of this is explained in http://theunlockr.com/2009/08/08/how-to-ga...-your-htc-hero/ - but ignore all the fastboot stuff. If your watching the video, you'll recognise the Cyanogen screen, and after that, follow his instructions to access the shell. I reiterate, dont follow that procedure to the letter, just filter out the stuff you actually need (i.e. shell access)

Hope that helps and its not too confusing : /

Guest JonnyG_UK
Connect your phone to your PC, and hold Power + Home (im assuming you have Cyanogen on the phone).

Open the command prompt (Windows Key + R, then type 'cmd')

Browse to the Android SDK directory (assuming you have it installed) then go into the tools folder

(type this into command prompt:

cd\

cd PATH TO ANDROID SDK DIRECTORY\tools)

then type adb shell

*Some* of this is explained in http://theunlockr.com/2009/08/08/how-to-ga...-your-htc-hero/ - but ignore all the fastboot stuff. If your watching the video, you'll recognise the Cyanogen screen, and after that, follow his instructions to access the shell. I reiterate, dont follow that procedure to the letter, just filter out the stuff you actually need (i.e. shell access)

Hope that helps and its not too confusing : /

Oh, then follow the sqlite code from the previous poster - let me know if it works for you.

I fixed that with a Wipe, but you might lose your messages doing that (I didn't have many to lose)

I think someone posted a compilation today of (simple) instructions to fix this without losing them

I have the same problem after flashing new ROM and really need to fix it! Does "wipe" mean doing a factory reset? Loosing my old SMS is a small problem. Does wiping solve the problem? I have backup of old configuration but the phone improved greatly with new ROM and I would not like to revert!

Close.. im getting error saying sqlite3 can't be found? any ideas?

Hmm. I followed SQL code example on previous page in this forum and it did the trick. No wipe was needed. I just cut and pasted from the example one row at a time after running "adb shell"

Hmm. I followed SQL code example on previous page in this forum and it did the trick. No wipe was needed. I just cut and pasted from the example one row at a time after running "adb shell"

Got it working :) Thanks for your help. Brilliant.

To the guy/girl who was getting the error before... cut and paste each line ONE at a time. I didnt see a typo when I did it and got the same error. Works now.

Guest CitizenLee

Hi,

I am currently using the rooted generic update but am considering the custom version.

Can anyone tell me if v2.2 fixes the bouncing keyboard issue when using the browser search in landscape?

I am also having LED issues. When I receive a SMS the trackball lights up as usual however the LED doesn't. I installed SMS Popup and now the LED flashes but the trackball doesn't.

TouchFlo process and application launcher occassionally forceclose too, but this might be because I use Taskiller.

One final question, for Paul, will v2.3 be based on the 2.86.119.6 build?

Many thanks,

Lee

Edited by CitizenLee

Guest CitizenLee
Where did you find this build ? No informations about it ...

Here... http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=559538

It's not a Hero build... but Drizzy @ XDA has modded it to work on the Hero. I wondered if Paul might be using it too or his v2.3 might be based on something else.

For the record I did try Drizzy's DDR v2.0 build, but I found it unstable so installed MCR v2.2 instead. I think I prefer the leaked HTC Generic ROM though as it seemed to run faster.

Guest nilmunny

Hi!

I really need some help!

Ever since rooting and installing the custom ROM i have had some wireless issues. But firstly i should say thanks and for the most part everything has been awesome!!

When i took my Hero into work the next day it connected to my access point as normal but none of the data services would work, i started to worry so when i got home i tried it with my access point, it did the same thing. I restarted my Hero and then everything worked fine. When i took it into work the next day the same problem, it connected with no issue but nothing would work over the wireless connection. I tried restarting, changing settings etc etc.

After work that day i took it to somewhere that had an open wireless network and it did the same thing, connects fine but nothing works. Took it back home and it works first time?!?!?

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced anything like this since updating or even without the update??

I would really appreciate some feedback!!!

Thanks in advance!

AGHHHHHHHH :-( and WOOOOOP :-) at the same time?.....

Phone works sooooo much faster now with new rom and far better reception with the new radio image......

but......

My wifi now wont find any networks, in 2 ft away from my router with my laptop connected wirelessly and my Hero say 'not in range' and when i click scan pretty much nothin at all happens?!....

any 1 pleaaaaaaaaaaaase throw sum light on this problem 4 me as its a pretty dire situation iv found myself in tho....

however jus to re-iterate.....

AWESOME ROM DUDE.....SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH BETTER!!!! :-D

Guest Streetdaddy
Forgot to mention. Some people on another forum said the update from MoDaCo fixed this issue... but in my case it looks to have caused it!

http://androidforums.com/htc-hero/8155-do-...htc-hero-2.html

I have the same problem. I have an unlocked and rooted HTC Hero. I flashed with this Modaco Custom ROM and now I get no SMS...

In the instructions it mentions applying the radio update. Does anyone know if I'm supposed to do this BEFORE or AFTER applying the Modaco Custom ROM?

I have the same problem. I have an unlocked and rooted HTC Hero. I flashed with this Modaco Custom ROM and now I get no SMS...

In the instructions it mentions applying the radio update. Does anyone know if I'm supposed to do this BEFORE or AFTER applying the Modaco Custom ROM?

It doesn't really matter... Try wiping your hero and reinstall the rom.

Guest anderneo

Correct.

But, you could try wiping, installing the radio update, then installing the rom.

If that doesn't work, then try fixing it with the database fix mentioned somewhere around page 28 - 33. That worked for me.

Good luck!

Cheers

Guest anderneo
AGHHHHHHHH :-( and WOOOOOP :-) at the same time?.....

Phone works sooooo much faster now with new rom and far better reception with the new radio image......

but......

My wifi now wont find any networks, in 2 ft away from my router with my laptop connected wirelessly and my Hero say 'not in range' and when i click scan pretty much nothin at all happens?!....

any 1 pleaaaaaaaaaaaase throw sum light on this problem 4 me as its a pretty dire situation iv found myself in tho....

however jus to re-iterate.....

AWESOME ROM DUDE.....SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH BETTER!!!! :-D

Try a radio update.

If that doesn't work, try: wipe, radio update, rom update (in this order)

Cheers

Guest anderneo
Help!!

I forgot to do a nandroid backup...is that bad??

I've had no problems yet but if i do what can i do?

Cheers

It isn't that bad. I only did a nandroid backup once. And that was at the very first beginning. Never needed it again.

Just do a nandroid backup now so you won't forget anymore :)

Cheers

Guest Streetdaddy
Correct.

But, you could try wiping, installing the radio update, then installing the rom.

If that doesn't work, then try fixing it with the database fix mentioned somewhere around page 28 - 33. That worked for me.

Good luck!

Cheers

thanks for help ppl :) I did a factory reset / wipe, reflashed with MCR 2.2. I received a test SMS from a friend. Then I restored Apps and Data via MyBackup and I'm still receiving SMS, so hopefully that is it fixed...

Guest nilmunny

Already posted but no one seems to want to help. *sobs into cup of tea

I have an HTC hero with Modaco 2.2

Still having the problems with data not working over most wireless netwroks (except one at home)

Will a radio update help??

Will i still have all my apps and data after a radio update??

IS there anyway to do a selective restore (If i was to wipe and flash the ROM again could i restore all my contacts, apps etc etc)

Also discovered a new bug, the alarm wont work anymore. If i set it for a time the same day it seems to go off, but the next day nothing, even though the screen shows the alarm is set.

I seem to keep finding little bugs with this thing. Anyone else getting stuff like that???

Still having the problems with data not working over most wireless netwroks (except one at home)

IS there anyway to do a selective restore (If i was to wipe and flash the ROM again could i restore all my contacts, apps etc etc)

Also discovered a new bug, the alarm wont work anymore. If i set it for a time the same day it seems to go off, but the next day nothing, even though the screen shows the alarm is set.

I seem to keep finding little bugs with this thing. Anyone else getting stuff like that???

Hello

Have the same setup as you but only problem I've had so far is the "SMS-issue". The sql-mod handled that though. The alarm didn't work right after apgrading but after creating a new ext3-partition (to enable apps2sd) and rebooting everything works perfect. No issue with Wifi. Telephone is incredibly much faster and responsive after the upgrade. It seems that implementing "apps2sd" improved performance further.

Guest Remington Steale

Havent seen any issues with my wireless, but I dont really use it much since I have an unlimited data plan.

Radio update will not wipe apps and data, but regardless, you should always do a proper nandroid backup before you apply.

You can do a selective backup/restore with MyBackup off the Android market, which I use, there is a free version which lats 30 days, but the pro one isnt that expensive.

My alarm works okay, but I find that "Alarming!", a program off the market for about 99p works better, it lets me do a proper silent alarm using the vibrate function instead of trying to find a blank sound file.

Hope that helps

Edited by Remington Steale

Guest markspark100
It isn't that bad. I only did a nandroid backup once. And that was at the very first beginning. Never needed it again.

Just do a nandroid backup now so you won't forget anymore :)

Cheers

Anderneo,

Thanks, yeah I have done one now i did it before applying the radio update, so far had no problems with any bugs that people have been mentioning so fingers crossed all is good :)