10/Mar 3.2 - MoDaCo Custom ROM for GSM Hero (now with online kitchen)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest shiver78
Thank you for all the hard works.

Need advice;

- updated to latest radio 63.18.55.06IU_6.35.08.22

- updated to this custom ROM 2.9

- resulted in constantly reboot

- now - back to ROM 2.8, working OK

How to prevent the constantly reboot? Is there any bug or something?

If you have repeating boot loops after upgrading:

1) Ensure you don't have swapper installed. If you have it running, remove it.

2) Clear your dalvik cache (rm /data/dalvik-cache/*)

Paul - maybe you should consider putting this in the first post. :D

Guest Matteo.Weng

I moved all the /data/dalvik-cache into /cache. Hero run smoothly. I have about 147MB free space on my /data

df

Filesystem		   1K-blocks	  Used Available Use% Mounted on

tmpfs					98256		 0	 98256   0% /dev

tmpfs					 4096		 0	  4096   0% /sqlite_stmt_journals

/dev/block/mtdblock3	174080	146648	 27432  84% /system

/dev/block/mtdblock5	169728	 22156	147572  13% /data

/dev/block/mtdblock4	133120	 51140	 81980  38% /cache

/dev/block/mmcblk0p2	468331	 37747	405599   9% /system/sd

/dev/block//vold/179:1

15015584   2325944  12689640  15% /sdcard
How-To: Run adb shell in a cmd window, you will get the android shell
echo "chmod 0771 /cache" >> /data/init.sh

mv /data/dalvik-cache /cache

ln -s /cache/dalvik-cache /data/dalvik-cache

reboot

Edited by Matteo.Weng

Guest anderneo

Camera works absolutely amazing!

It is so much faster then is used to be, great work Paul!

By the way, I have the 'forced-close-htc-mail-problem'. Tried reinstalling a few times, no good.

Has anyone got a work-around for this?

Guest Keramidas
2.9 is great! It's very fast!

But I have a problem. In Google Maps when I do a search a get a force close msg. Any ideas?

Hi,

It works for me on 2.9. Have you tried uninstalling Google Maps and reinstalling it from Market ?

Guest anderneo

Same for me, works fine. Try reinstalling, or, if that doesn't work: uninstall app, then reinstall rom (without wipe). That worked here several times..

Guest Keramidas
I moved all the /data/dalvik-cache into /cache. Hero run smoothly. I have about 147MB free space on my /data

df

Filesystem		   1K-blocks	  Used Available Use% Mounted on

tmpfs					98256		 0	 98256   0% /dev

tmpfs					 4096		 0	  4096   0% /sqlite_stmt_journals

/dev/block/mtdblock3	174080	146648	 27432  84% /system

/dev/block/mtdblock5	169728	 22156	147572  13% /data

/dev/block/mtdblock4	133120	 51140	 81980  38% /cache

/dev/block/mmcblk0p2	468331	 37747	405599   9% /system/sd

/dev/block//vold/179:1

15015584   2325944  12689640  15% /sdcard
How-To: Run adb shell in a cmd window, you will get the android shell
echo "chmod 0771 /cache" >> /data/init.sh

mv /data/dalvik-cache /cache

reboot

I did the same as you since yesterday evening, and it works great too ! At last we put these 128MB of unused space to good use !

The first step was the same as Matteo.Weng:

mv /data/dalvik-cache /cache/

But beware: /cache gets auto-formatted during a radio update. Therefore (imho) on every boot we should assume that /cache/dalvik-cache has possibly been deleted, so I have put more stuff (not just the chmod command) in my startup script:

mkdir /cache/dalvik-cache

chown 1000:1000 /cache/dalvik-cache

chmod 771 /cache /cache/dalvik-cache

I put these 3 lines in /system/sd/userinit.sh. I did not modify /data/init.sh.

By the way: I know that /system/sd/userinit.sh is the a2sd startup script, and /data/init.sh is Paul's startup script, but does anybody know which of these 2 scripts is called first ?

Edited by Keramidas

Guest clarkEEE1

Upgraded to 2.9 but when ï try to install ratcoms black sence theme just get bootloops yes I have wiped, don't use swap, cleared davlik cache tried everything possible I think but can't get it to boot. So In the end went back to my nandroid backup that grey HTC standard theme just makes the phone UI so ugly i can't use it no more.

Guest flipper203

Hello, I have noticed something wiered. When I boot my phone, if I go to advanced task killer (free), I have something like 80Mo of free ram, but then, when I use the phone and have a look later at the memory, even when killing some tasks, I onnly get 40-45Mo of free Ram.

Where are gone my 80Mo free Ram?

Guest Keramidas
Upgraded to 2.9 but when ï try to install ratcoms black sence theme just get bootloops yes I have wiped, don't use swap, cleared davlik cache tried everything possible I think but can't get it to boot. So In the end went back to my nandroid backup that grey HTC standard theme just makes the phone UI so ugly i can't use it no more.

You're right: just call HTC and tell them they should test their ROMs better before leaking them... :D

But seriously: what about just asking Ratcom ?

Guest Keramidas
Hello, I have noticed something wiered. When I boot my phone, if I go to advanced task killer (free), I have something like 80Mo of free ram, but then, when I use the phone and have a look later at the memory, even when killing some tasks, I onnly get 40-45Mo of free Ram.

Where are gone my 80Mo free Ram?

Assuming that "free RAM" display is reliable, maybe the OS is using part of these free 80MB as cache ? Try:

echo 1 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches

Does the "free RAM" display increase then ?

PS: No need to run this command in normal situations: the caches are automatically reduced when an application asks for RAM.

Edited by Keramidas

Guest clarkEEE1
You're right: just call HTC and tell them they should test their ROMs better before leaking them... :D

But seriously: what about just asking Ratcom ?

It's nothing to do with the theme had no probs with the last few modaco roms with it , gotta be something to do with the new Rom.

kosworld needs to rewrite his themes for 2.9, he aint done it yet. Ratcom has redone his clear theme/lockscreen themes for 2.9, although I have a starnge issue with the theme causing 100% awake time, which I am going to flag up to him.

Guest derdominic

There is just nothing to say, except " Thank you Paul for your for work in and for the community. "

BTW : Is there Paul Thank You thread in the forum ?

Dominic

Edited by derdominic

There is just nothing to say, except " Thank you Paul for your for work in and for the community. "

BTW : Is there Paul Thank You thread in the forum ?

Dominic

yeah its called the donate button lol

Remember to send props to Teknologist for his hard work on the kernel too :D

Guest derdominic
yeah its called the donate button lol

Remember to send props to Teknologist for his hard work on the kernel too :D

Of course I hitted them, but it is not a thing to say it loud....

And surely, I would not forgot Teknologist, greetings to my neighbours to france.

Merci beaucoup pour ton travaille.

Edited by derdominic

Guest clarkEEE1
kosworld needs to rewrite his themes for 2.9, he aint done it yet. Ratcom has redone his clear theme/lockscreen themes for 2.9, although I have a starnge issue with the theme causing 100% awake time, which I am going to flag up to him.

Cheers higgsy for letting us no. Going to stick with 2.8 for now then.

Guest xxthemartianxx

I've updated from 2.8 to 2.9 but seem to be having a problem on the SMS thread. The contact images from Facebook are being dragged through correctly, but my contact image isn't.

Anyone having the same issue? Is there a quick fix?

Edited by xxthemartianxx

Guest dwattsy21
I've updated from 2.8 to 2.9 but seem to be having a problem on the SMS thread. The contact images from Facebook are being dragged through correctly, but my contact image isn't.

Anyone having the same issue? Is there a quick fix?

I've had this problem with every Modaco ROM I've used. Sometimes it works, sometimes it just uses a default "no image" pic. Would be interested to know if anybody has a fix for this, as I do love to look at my own beautiful face when going through my phone :D

Guest xxthemartianxx

On a separate topic, I've just partioned my SD card and have Apps2SD. On average, what should I have left as internal memory?

I had 107mb, upgraded to 2.9 and now have 80mb. After installing a few apps, internal still shows 80mb so it looks as if Apps2SD is working, just wondering where the 27mb went after the upgrade?

Guest xxthemartianxx

On a separate topic, I've just partioned my SD card and have Apps2SD. On average, what should I have left as internal memory?

I had 107mb, upgraded to 2.9 and now have 80mb. After installing a few apps, internal still shows 80mb so it looks as if Apps2SD is working, just wondering where the 27mb went after the upgrade?

Hi,

It works for me on 2.9. Have you tried uninstalling Google Maps and reinstalling it from Market ?

It worked :D don't know why I didn't think about reinstalling :P dooh.

lol i tried to port blacksense v1.1 to mcr2.9, didn't work. i didn't even get bootloops, phone hangs at the operator logo...