10/Mar 3.2 - MoDaCo Custom ROM for GSM Hero (now with online kitchen)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest flipper203
Assuming that "free RAM" display is reliable, maybe the OS is using part of these free 80MB as cache ? Try:

echo 1 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches

Does the "free RAM" display increase then ?

PS: No need to run this command in normal situations: the caches are automatically reduced when an application asks for RAM.

I get a permission error on this command (cannot create /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches) when running it on better terminal emulator.

Guest CitizenLee

Perhaps a silly question, but is it ok to use v2.9 with the standard 2GB SD card?

I have no desire to use A2SD at the moment.

I'm currently running v2.2 with no issues.

Cheers,

Lee

Guest flipper203
Perhaps a silly question, but is it ok to use v2.9 with the standard 2GB SD card?

I have no desire to use A2SD at the moment.

I'm currently running v2.2 with no issues.

Cheers,

Lee

Yes, you can, that s what I m doing...

Guest Keramidas
On a separate topic, I've just partioned my SD card and have Apps2SD. On average, what should I have left as internal memory?

I had 107mb, upgraded to 2.9 and now have 80mb. After installing a few apps, internal still shows 80mb so it looks as if Apps2SD is working, just wondering where the 27mb went after the upgrade?

Hi !

Yes, Apps2SD is certainly still working for you. The additional 27MB are taken by the bigger dalvik-cache in /data. In previous ROMs, if I understand right, these 27MB were built-in (ie: somewhere inside /system). I supposed they were suppressed to make enough room in /system, so now you have more stuff in /data/dalvik-cache.

80 MB free space on /data should be plenty enough, unless you install many more apps. But if you want (and if you feel confident), you can move your dalvik-cache to /cache. I did this, and it works perfectly well.

Guest clarkEEE1
lol i tried to port blacksense v1.1 to mcr2.9, didn't work. i didn't even get bootloops, phone hangs at the operator logo...

Not good is it kendon, only one thing to do I guess that's keep an eye out over at xda themes thread and hope its gets updated for 2.9.

It worked :D don't know why I didn't think about reinstalling :P dooh.

Have you or anyone else noticed that by running Google Maps your battery is being drained REALLY quickly on 2.9??

Guest masterpfa
I think you're right, it does seem a lot faster. The shots taken are a lot less blurry even if i move the camera while pressing the trackball.

Hopefully the image can be made brighter for darker situations, say by increasing the sensitivity of the light sensors, or if not then software enhancement of the image for dark situations.

I have found that taking pictures by touching the screen are a lot easier than using the trackball

1. Touch the screen to focus on the subject, (especially good if the subject is not ded centre)

2. long press on the same focus point to take the picture, no need to use the trackball at all

Also the default and automatic settings are geared for good light, it is possible, once on the camera, to go to menu/settings and you can change things like the ISO 400 or 800 for poor light & internal (remember to change back to Auto for normal use), or the metering from Spot to average.

Hi Paul,

I have updated your Radio IU version from FU since then i downgraded to FU again reason i noticed my 3g connection isnt working well i dont know about other people using Tmobile g2 webnwalk acount having the same problem or its me. Can you just explain what the radio is for and if it can affect the 3g web browsing and connection becouse some times the connection just drops on the wifi works great no probs

what is the radio do other than as you explained tweak up battery and signal bars. Thanks waiting for your reply.

I upgraded to the 1.8 kernel and the new IU radios while running MCR2.8

I have now updated to 2.9 (did it the same night I upgraded to MCK1.8 and the radio). The loooooong initial boot was quite scary, but I didn't touch it, and it eventually came up with no problems.

I've not experienced any of the issues anyone else has mentioned. However, it seems that my WiFi is having a bit of trouble.

When I wake up in the morning (for the last two mornings since updating), it is no longer connected, but rather, is running on 3G. The WiFi sleep policy is set to "never".

Also, this morning, after I left the house, I went to turn WiFi off (I was already out of range of my network), but it couldn't. It kept trying for about a minute (the widget was greyed out, but it never clicked over to "off") before I gave up and rebooted the phone.

Also, I had a bit of trouble getting data to work over 3G yesterday (a reboot fixed it). Does anyone else have any problems with the latest radios?

EDIT: I'm on Network 3, Australia.

EDIT2: Yep. I'm having trouble getting (3G) data to work with the new radios (or is it the new ROM?). I often can't establish a connection, and I try to fix it by moving to Aeroplane mode, waiting a minute, then reconnecting. This doesn't help. A full reboot is required to get data to work again.

Is anyone else having problems with the new radios?

EDIT3: Ok. A reboot didn't help either... will check if there is a network fault. Is it possible to downgrade the radios just by flashing the previous version? Or is it more complicated than this?

EDIT4: Ok... it was a network problem. Carry on! Nothing to see here!

In other news, has anyone experienced WiFi problems with the new radios?

i got the same problem with 3g network keeps dropping am not sure if its the radio or the rom if some one can come up with an explaination it would be great by the way which network are you on am on tmobile

yes you can just do an update from recovery just as you did with the new one worked for me downgraded radio to FU after thinking the problem was with the IU radio but still the same problem 3g dropping connection i was wondering if the problem was tmobile network.

cheers...

Edited by mbba

Have you or anyone else noticed that by running Google Maps your battery is being drained REALLY quickly on 2.9??

Hmm not really, but I only used maps for 5 minutes perhaps.

How can i get SSH password?

The "about" windows hasn't infomation~

Please Help :)

From first post :

- Added Dropbear SSH running by default, check 'About' screen for password (port 2222). You can now remove this by running /system/bin/removedropbear.sh

:D

For people having force close issues in apps like 'wifi tether' and 'voice search';

1. Download an application from market called 'app manager'

2. Then back-up the app(s) that has issues

3. Then un-install the app that has issues

4. Finally press menu and install the app that you had backed up

-The app should work fine now after this process- 045.gif

Improving indoor camera shots

In camera settings, reduce contrast to -2, increase saturation to +1, and sharpness by +1, leave all other settings on auto, and change metering mode to spot, oh and don't forget to change quality to high. Done. 045.gif

Edited by uk786

Guest Alsybub
I did the same as you since yesterday evening, and it works great too ! At last we put these 128MB of unused space to good use !

The first step was the same as Matteo.Weng:

mv /data/dalvik-cache /cache/

ln -s /cache/dalvik-cache /data/dalvik-cache

But beware: /cache gets auto-formatted during a radio update. Therefore (imho) on every boot we should assume that /cache/dalvik-cache has possibly been deleted, so I have put more stuff (not just the chmod command) in my startup script:

mkdir /cache/dalvik-cache

chown 1000:1000 /cache/dalvik-cache

chmod 771 /cache /cache/dalvik-cache

I put these 3 lines in /system/sd/userinit.sh. I did not modify /data/init.sh.

By the way: I know that /system/sd/userinit.sh is the a2sd startup script, and /data/init.sh is Paul's startup script, but does anybody know which of these 2 scripts is called first ?

So, to do this do I simply input the commands one after the other?

I'm a little confused.

Guest gk141054

Hi guys,

Total noob here so apologies if i'm being really stupid.

I have a tmobile G2 Touch that was on build 1.76

Followed the instructions for 1 click root which seemed to work ok, then tried to install modaco custom rom 2.9

Again all seemed to work fine (no errors although was quite quick) and then booted up again...

It looks no different to before.. still on build 1.76 (not sure if this should of changed).

BizCardReader, Wap Browser and Plurk have all installed though....

How can I tell if its worked? I expected it to look and feel different but apart from the above its identical....

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers

Guest masterpfa
Hi guys,

Total noob here so apologies if i'm being really stupid.

I have a tmobile G2 Touch that was on build 1.76

Followed the instructions for 1 click root which seemed to work ok, then tried to install modaco custom rom 2.9

Again all seemed to work fine (no errors although was quite quick) and then booted up again...

It looks no different to before.. still on build 1.76 (not sure if this should of changed).

BizCardReader, Wap Browser and Plurk have all installed though....

How can I tell if its worked? I expected it to look and feel different but apart from the above its identical....

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers

Did you by chance install just the 'Enhanced' add on pack?

From the Menu/Settings/About Phone and you should have a screen similar to this

http://mytechnews.info/b/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/htc-hero-review-about-phone.jpg

Guest Caffeine Dependent
Hi Paul,

I have updated your Radio IU version from FU since then i downgraded to FU again reason i noticed my 3g connection isnt working well i dont know about other people using Tmobile g2 webnwalk acount having the same problem or its me. Can you just explain what the radio is for and if it can affect the 3g web browsing and connection becouse some times the connection just drops on the wifi works great no probs

what is the radio do other than as you explained tweak up battery and signal bars. Thanks waiting for your reply.

The radio handles your phone's communication with the cellular network - basically any phone call, text message, or data. So yes that would affect your 3g web browsing. I believe the WiFi uses a separate chip. It's slightly more complicated than that though - the radio is part of the whole system, and how well the system and radio roms talk to each other is important. You might find that certain combinations of rom + radio work well together and others don't.

I also have a T-Mobile G2 w/ web'n'walk access. I've come from stock 2.73.405.5 rom and EU radio straight to MCR 2.9 with latest IU radio and have noticed a significant improvement both in signal quality and data/3g performance. I skipped the FU radio as several people reported probs.

Guest Keramidas
So, to do this do I simply input the commands one after the other?

I'm a little confused.

Hi,

No, you input the two first ones, then put the three next ones in /system/sd/userinit.sh.

That's because moving the cache and creating the symbolic link only need to be done once, but the next three commands (most importantly the "chmod") need to be executed on every boot.

Note that /system/sd/userinit.sh can be used only if you have the 2nd partition for apps2sd. If you don't, you should use /data/init.sh instead.

Remember to do a nandroid backup first.

Edit: To put these lines into /data/init.sh, do as follows:

echo "mkdir /cache/dalvik-cache" >> /data/init.sh

echo "chown 1000:1000 /cache/dalvik-cache" >> /data/init.sh

echo "chmod 771 /cache /cache/dalvik-cache" >> /data/init.sh

Have fun !

Edited by Keramidas

Guest Alsybub
Hi,

No, you input the two first ones, then put the three next ones in /system/sd/userinit.sh.

That's because moving the cache and creating the symbolic link only need to be done once, but the next three commands (most importantly the "chmod") need to be executed on every boot.

Note that /system/sd/userinit.sh can be used only if you have the 2nd partition for apps2sd. If you don't, you should use /data/init.sh instead.

Remember to do a nandroid backup first.

Edit: To put these lines into /data/init.sh, do as follows:

echo "mkdir /cache/dalvik-cache" >> /data/init.sh

echo "chown 1000:1000 /cache/dalvik-cache" >> /data/init.sh

echo "chmod 771 /cache /cache/dalvik-cache" >> /data/init.sh

Have fun !

Thanks very much. I got the idea that this was the case but simply wasn't sure.

Will give it a go!

Guest teknologist
For people having force close issues in apps like 'wifi tether' and 'voice search';

1. Download an application from market called 'app manager'

2. Then back-up the app(s) that has issues

3. Then un-install the app that has issues

4. Finally press menu and install the app that you had backed up

-The app should work fine now after this process- 045.gif

Well said !

It's never repeated enough !

AppManager is great also for backing up all your apps at once to SD... ;-)

Guest teknologist
I did the same as you since yesterday evening, and it works great too ! At last we put these 128MB of unused space to good use !

The first step was the same as Matteo.Weng:

But beware: /cache gets auto-formatted during a radio update. Therefore (imho) on every boot we should assume that /cache/dalvik-cache has possibly been deleted, so I have put more stuff (not just the chmod command) in my startup script:

I put these 3 lines in /system/sd/userinit.sh. I did not modify /data/init.sh.

By the way: I know that /system/sd/userinit.sh is the a2sd startup script, and /data/init.sh is Paul's startup script, but does anybody know which of these 2 scripts is called first ?

both scripts are called from /init.rc and a2sd is called before /data/init.sh

...but other scripts are called , so the complete order is:

ramzswap, dropbear, a2sd and /data/init.sh

Guest teknologist
both scripts are called from /init.rc and a2sd is called before /data/init.sh

...but other scripts are called , so the complete order is:

ramzswap, dropbear, a2sd and /data/init.sh

Well after thinking not sure about where to place /data/init.sh...

I am sure about this order: ramzswap, dropbear, a2sd