10/Mar 3.2 - MoDaCo Custom ROM for GSM Hero (now with online kitchen)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest teknologist

Is it me or moving dalvik-cache to /cache has speed up my Hero even more ???

After cold boot, I launched Taskiller (always takes a few secs to load) and it appeared immediately..

Everything seems faster..can you guys confirm ??

:))

Thanks for the tip anyway !

BTW, If I update ROM and it wipes /data will Android rebuild dalvik-cache on boot or will I end up with an endless reboot loop.. ?

Guest gk141054
Did you by chance install just the 'Enhanced' add on pack?

From the Menu/Settings/About Phone and you should have a screen similar to this

http://mytechnews.info/b/wp-content/upload...about-phone.jpg

Cheers for the reply...

No its still definately on 1.76

I just tried to flash it again (realised I didn't do the wipe / factory reset last time so did this time) and its still on 1.76.....

I followed the unlockr video exactly..

Any ideas?

Edited by gk141054

I've rolled back to the FU radio from IU after having significant freezes while using the phone. This appears to have made things much smoother. Not sure how it all relates but thought I'd say.

Edited by Guest

Guest Keramidas
Is it me or moving dalvik-cache to /cache has speed up my Hero even more ???

After cold boot, I launched Taskiller (always takes a few secs to load) and it appeared immediately..

Everything seems faster..can you guys confirm ??

:))

Thanks for the tip anyway !

BTW, If I update ROM and it wipes /data will Android rebuild dalvik-cache on boot or will I end up with an endless reboot loop.. ?

Well I don't think /cache is really faster than /data, they're probably in the same flash chip. But perhaps your dalvik-cache has more optimized contents than before ? Maybe this ROM includes an improved version of dalvik too.

Yes, you can clear the cache completely (while in recovery mode) and it will be regenerated completely on the next boot. This only takes a few minutes.

In principle (I haven't verified it yet) you could even reformat /cache (try to reinstall your radio) and the added lines in init script will recreate it, with proper permissions, before dalvik regenerated its contents.

Once the dalvik cache directory exists, the only command needed, is the chmod on /cache. Otherwise dalvik cannot read the cache directory when running as non-root, and the boot never completes.

Have fun !

Edit: Sorry, I misunderstood your question about wiping. Well, I don't know what dalvik does if /data/dalvik-cache is gone, but it is easy to prevent that, by adding a conditional "ln -s" in the startup script. That way, we could probably have a true "plug and play" solution that auto-moves dalvik-cache for all users... It should be well-tested in the "wiped /cache & /data" situation though.

Edited by Keramidas

Cheers for the reply...

I just tried to flash it again (realised I didn't do the wipe / factory reset last time so did this time) and its still on 1.76.....

Any ideas?

Hi

Am sure you updated the enhanced zipfile coz i did that before the core zip file takes longer to install than what you mentioned ealier and check the size of the updated it should be approx 90mb if less eg. 5 to 10mgs then you updated the enhanced update make sure you downloaded the actual updated not the addons.

Hope my info makes it clear. :)

Edited by mbba

Guest sinnadyr

Hi, couldnt find others here with the same problem, so I just post it here.

When installing the MoDaCo 2.9 ROM it all works out just fine, except my Hero gets stuck in a reboot loop. Did a nandroid restore and it worked again, wiped my phone and installed the ROM again, and then it works.

Would really like to keep all my settings, and I see several of you have succesfully installed the ROM without wiping, but if I dont it just get stuck in that f'in boot loop.

Any suggestions?

Guest dwattsy21

Hi guys, quick question...

Is installing this ROM as simple as before, simply install the zip file using the recovery image? Or is there anything else using ADB that i should do as well?

Cheers, Dave

P.S great work Paul and Teknologist

Guest Keramidas
Hi, couldnt find others here with the same problem, so I just post it here.

When installing the MoDaCo 2.9 ROM it all works out just fine, except my Hero gets stuck in a reboot loop. Did a nandroid restore and it worked again, wiped my phone and installed the ROM again, and then it works.

Would really like to keep all my settings, and I see several of you have succesfully installed the ROM without wiping, but if I dont it just get stuck in that f'in boot loop.

Any suggestions?

Try connecting with "adb logcat" just after powering on your phone. Then look at exception messages, especially at the very moment that the phone reboots. That might give you a hint, as of which system app crashes. Then reboot to recovery mode, and delete that app's settings directory, under /data/data.

Edit: If all else fails, just download the trial version of "MyBackup Pro", backup everything it can, then do your upgrade (with wipe) and then restore what you need, from the backup.

Edited by Keramidas

Guest Keramidas
Hi guys, quick question...

Is installing this ROM as simple as before, simply install the zip file using the recovery image? Or is there anything else using ADB that i should do as well?

Cheers, Dave

P.S great work Paul and Teknologist

Hi,

It is as simple as before. Just do a nandroid backup (in recovery mode menu) to be safe. No need for adb, unless you want to hack a few more things.

Guest masterpfa
Cheers for the reply...

Any ideas?

Hi gk141054

I would try the process again, to be safe.

Make sure your phone is Rooted first

The first ROM you will need to install will be http://content.modaco.net/hero/2.9-update-...core-signed.zip

The first boot will take a little while, I have found that once started i have had to reboot once more.

If you want the enhanced pack you will need to apply the following ROM http://content.modaco.net/hero/2.8-update-...nced-signed.zip

Remember that you will need to have removed the original update.zip from your SD card.

You will also need to apply, again as an update.zip the latest radio, which I believe is 63.18.55.06IU_6.35.08.22

But before doing all this re-read the instruction from Unlockr.com a couple of times just to be safe.

All from what you have said I think you have applied the enhanced pack ROM from MoDaCo and not the Core.

Hope this helps

Edited by masterpfa

IU radio has same behavior as FU :-( 3G data often stalls when using for sometime.

Just go back to EU to confirm it. Anyone has this kind of experience ?? :)

Hi,

No, you input the two first ones, then put the three next ones in /system/sd/userinit.sh.

That's because moving the cache and creating the symbolic link only need to be done once, but the next three commands (most importantly the "chmod") need to be executed on every boot.

Note that /system/sd/userinit.sh can be used only if you have the 2nd partition for apps2sd. If you don't, you should use /data/init.sh instead.

Remember to do a nandroid backup first.

Edit: To put these lines into /data/init.sh, do as follows:

echo "mkdir /cache/dalvik-cache" >> /data/init.sh

echo "chown 1000:1000 /cache/dalvik-cache" >> /data/init.sh

echo "chmod 771 /cache /cache/dalvik-cache" >> /data/init.sh

Have fun !

Hi Keramidas & Teknologist,

I have EXT3 partition for apps2sd so I have to change the command lines as :

echo "mkdir /cache/dalvik-cache" >> /data/userinit.sh

echo "chown 1000:1000 /cache/dalvik-cache" >> /data/userinit.sh

echo "chmod 771 /cache /cache/dalvik-cache" >> /data/userinit.sh

Is it correct?

Thanks,

Guest Jay3gsm

First of all, I'd like to give a mention of thanks to the guys involved in providing these customisation options, the work is appreciated, and I find a whole new world of handset modifications opening up to me. Good stuff.

Anyway, the point of the post; I've 'rooted' my HTC Hero, and updated the Modaco latest ROM. All the instructions I found online were clear enough, but I'm not quite sure about updating the radio? Why does that need to be done? Any links to a step by step to get it done?

After the update, I was surprised to see the basic OS on the phone is still 1.5, in my ignorance I had assumed the custom ROM was some kind of update to this? Also, now my handset is 'rooted' will that make unlocking simpler? Or is it already unlocked? (I have the Hero on TMob)

Again, thanks to all, once I've finished updating all that's necessary to do on the Hero, I'm off to mess around with the Magic :-)

Guest Keramidas
Hi Keramidas & Teknologist,

I have EXT3 partition for apps2sd so I have to change the command lines as :

echo "mkdir /cache/dalvik-cache" >> /data/userinit.sh

echo "chown 1000:1000 /cache/dalvik-cache" >> /data/userinit.sh

echo "chmod 771 /cache /cache/dalvik-cache" >> /data/userinit.sh

Is it correct?

Thanks,

Hi,

No, it's either /data/init.sh (exists for all users) or /system/sd/userinit.sh (possible for apps2sd users only).

You have the ext2/3/4 partition for apps2sd, so either one will work for you :-)

Edited by Keramidas

Guest Keramidas
Still want to use the Teknologist kernel and it use the ext partition?

I know that many people here (including me) are not native English speakers, yet we try to explain ourselves using complete sentences. Otherwise it takes 4 posts for everyone to understand what you mean. No offence intended, btw.

The Teknologist kernel does not change the sdcard partition requirements. They are the same as before: a fat partition and an optional ext2/3/4 partition.

Indeed, if the 2nd partition is present, it will always be used for apps2sd. If you want to keep the 2nd partition *but* disable apps2sd - if this is what you want - you can:

- modify the apps2sd startup script to disable it.

- use fdisk under Linux on your SD card, to modify your partition table so that your partitions are numbered "1" and "3". That way you will have no "partition 2", technically speaking. You can then add your "mount" command to /data/init.sh. Remember to use a different mount point (ie: not /system/sd) for your partition.

hi all.

is it just me or has anyone else noticed that digital zoom has suddenly vanished from MCR? i remember zooming in with my stock HTC 2.73.xxx ROM but in a couple of recent instances when i was taking photos from my camera i tried to zoom in with the trackball but it wouldnt.

i am running MCR 2.9 on a HTC Hero.