14/Jan 1.5.2 - Installing the custom recovery image on your device

Guest PaulOBrien

Hang on, you are still on the pre-December fastboot? Wonder why it doesn't work for me then? ;)

Nope, I'm on post dec fastboot. Power off, hold down menu and red key , power on, wait a bit then release the keys?

This is just booting into the recovery, I've not tried a non-stock rom.

Guest Shuflie
Nope, I'm on post dec fastboot. Power off, hold down menu and red key , power on, wait a bit then release the keys?

This is just booting into the recovery, I've not tried a non-stock rom.

Ah right, it was when you had said you hadn't re-flashed that was confusing me. I can confirm that this doesn't work on a pre-December updated fastboot device so it looks like Huaewi have added that feature and not told anyone about it. I wonder what it does with a completely virgin Pulse that has just had the December update applied to it but no custom recovery installed? Would it do the equivalent of a hard reset possibly?

Edited by Shuflie

Guest strike2k
Thanks guys, looks like a handy feature. Looking forward to custom kernels with ext3/4 support and compcache enabled so I can upgrade. Might even give it a go myself if I can work out how to do it ;)

I think I may do the same if I ever get my work code out of the way ;) .

Ah right, it was when you had said you hadn't re-flashed that was confusing me. I can confirm that this doesn't work on a pre-December updated fastboot device so it looks like Huaewi have added that feature and not told anyone about it. I wonder what it does with a completely virgin Pulse that has just had the December update applied to it but no custom recovery installed? Would it do the equivalent of a hard reset possibly?

No it goes into the original blue text recovery with just 3 options.

Guest Shuflie
No it goes into the original blue text recovery with just 3 options.

I haven't seen that recovery version since first thing I did was to install the custom recovery image and the superroot. What options does it give you btw?

I haven't seen that recovery version since first thing I did was to install the custom recovery image and the superroot. What options does it give you btw?

I think it's

reboot

wipe cache

wipe something else

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Richard_Arkless

turn the phone off and hold menu and the red button when you press the on button, that done the trick for me. someone should edit the first page to say that there is a way to enter it

My quick boot that I downloaded requires me to be root, what am I supposed to do?
Edited by Richard_Arkless

Guest Dan Mullen
turn the phone off and hold menu and the red button when you press the on button, that done the trick for me. someone should edit the first page to say that there is a way to enter it

I think he means the QuickBoot app from the Market... you need root permissions for this.

Guest bencoder
Check now, seems fine for me

Thanks, that was weird... when I click on it it just takes me back to www.modaco.com but when I did right click and "save as" then it worked... I must have cached the redirect back to Modaco somehow.

I followed the instructions (having first copied AdbWinApi.dll into the 1.1-pulse-superboot folder created by the zip file).

I had to disconnect the USB cable before I could start the machine in bootloader mode, because it seemd to boot by itself before I could press the requisite keys if the cable was connected.

It started into a screen which said USB FastBoot: V0.5, so I reconnected the USB cable and started the Windows batch file.

Very quickly it seemed to finish. The phone said "writing 'boot' (1990656 bytes) - OKAY

I then took the battery out and put it back in again (is this the only way to get it out of USB FastBoot?).

I then went into Quick Boot (which seemed to have been installed), and pressed the Recovery button.

I got a page which said "/system/bin/sh Wants to run:/system/bin/sh as root:root" - I pressed the "Allow" button.

The phone started booting, and a message "can't access /cache/" <something - couldn't read it> flashed up.

The phone seemed to boot normally then. Is this working as designed?

If so, how do I get into this recovery mode to do a nandroid backup?

If not, what do I do now?

BTW, I repeated the whole process again from the start, just to make sure, and it made no difference.

Hi - Ok I am going to feel a bit stupid asking this, but as with Nikki above I cannot get into recovery mode using Quick Boot as not root. The recovery Flash worked (returned OK in recovery window) but no new menu items appear on rebooting into the recovery windows using volume down/red button/power combination.

I cannot find another way to do this that works -

'adb-windows.exe root recovery' gives error:device offline (but phone ADB interface is recognised in Windows Hardware manager), and the Menu + Home + Power key combination that was mentioned in another post doesn't seem to work for me either.

The replies to Nikki's post was to root the Pulse (using superboot.) On the superboot page it says this is not required if I am installing a modded rom (which I will be.) But I want to do a backup of the system first before installing the new rom... So my question is that when I follow the process for the post: MoDaCo Custom ROM - Stock T-Mobile Style I really should root the system (using superboot) prior to flashing the recovery image, followed by flashing the new rom? i.e.

- Download this custom ROM from the links above and copy it to your SD card

- Download Superboot and install as detailed in post

- Download the custom recovery image and install as detailed in that post. Stay in recovery mode.

- Select 'nandroid backup' from the menu to do a backup

- Select 'Flash zip from sdcard' and apply the main ROM

Is that correct?

Cheers for any help

The recovery Flash worked (returned OK in recovery window) but no new menu items appear on rebooting into the recovery windows using volume down/red button/power combination.

I cannot find another way to do this that works -

'adb-windows.exe root recovery' gives error:device offline (but phone ADB interface is recognised in Windows Hardware manager), and the Menu + Home + Power key combination that was mentioned in another post doesn't seem to work for me either.

Cheers for any help

The key combination for recovery mode is Red/Menu/Power NOT vol down/red/power (which is for fastboot) - http://wiki.modaco.com/index.php/Huawei_U8220#Startup_Modes

Guest Phil Brennan

I can confirm that after upgrading my firmware the Menu + Red keys held down when rebooting does, indeed, get you into the recovery menu for RA-pulse-v1.5.2 for those of us who have used SuperRoot.

I would assume for those who have not SuperRoot'd or added RA-pulse-v1.5.2 to their post December upgrade pulses would only get the crappy blue recovery screen with the 3 useless options.

Phil.

Guest Misticdw

Hello fellow Androiders.

Is there a full super noob guide on how to get amonrarecovery to actually load? or video guide? most of the guides seem to assume that i have android rooting knowledge of some sort.

all i can get is (writing 'recovery' (3858432 bytes) - OK. what do i do after this point?

i mean im completely lost in trying to put a custom rom on the pulse so all im trying to do is do a nandroid backup so i can just put the December update on it.

Am i missing something or is the problem windows 7?

i have all the drivers for the pulse installed and have no problem connection to it with with the SDK or even that t-mobile pc suit.

Thanks in advance

Guest Misticdw
<br />Hello fellow Androiders.<br />Is there a full super noob guide on how to get amonrarecovery to actually load? or video guide? most of the guides seem to assume that i have android rooting knowledge of some sort.<br />all i can get is (writing 'recovery' (3858432 bytes) - OK. what do i do after this point?<br />i mean im completely lost in trying to put a custom rom on the pulse so all im trying to do is do a nandroid backup so i can just put the December update on it.<br /><br />Am i missing something or is the problem windows 7?<br /><br />i have all the drivers for the pulse installed and have no problem connection to it with with the SDK or even that t-mobile pc suit.<br /><br />Thanks in advance<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Ignore me,

I Worked it out

Like I said be for I'm a super noob

Any other super noobs need help hit me up :)

Guest Casper-vH

It seems that I have installed an old version of AmonRa. When I go in to recovery mode using quick boot or menu+end button on boot, I get amonra 1.3.2. (or 1.2.3 not sure xD)

Ive loaded amonRa1.5.2 often though by typing "fastboot boot recovery-PA-pulse-v1.5.2.img"(cmd being in the same folder as the .img of course) when my phone was in fastboot.

Id like to update my AmonRA though so that I dont have to do it the hard way everytime :). Will it go ok if I just use install this file over it using the method pauls first post describes? And if I do that, do I have to update Quick Boot to?

"

- Download the recovery zip file and extract to a directory

- Put your device in bootloader mode - turn if off, then tap the powerbutton while holding the 'Volume Down' and 'End (Red)' keys

- WINDOWS - double click 'install-recovery-windows.bat'

"

PS Is it correct to say that fastboot is the bootloader mode for pulse?

Guest giryan
It seems that I have installed an old version of AmonRa. When I go in to recovery mode using quick boot or menu+end button on boot, I get amonra 1.3.2. (or 1.2.3 not sure xD)

Ive loaded amonRa1.5.2 often though by typing "fastboot boot recovery-PA-pulse-v1.5.2.img"(cmd being in the same folder as the .img of course) when my phone was in fastboot.

Id like to update my AmonRA though so that I dont have to do it the hard way everytime B) . Will it go ok if I just use install this file over it using the method pauls first post describes? And if I do that, do I have to update Quick Boot to?

"

- Download the recovery zip file and extract to a directory

- Put your device in bootloader mode - turn if off, then tap the powerbutton while holding the 'Volume Down' and 'End (Red)' keys

- WINDOWS - double click 'install-recovery-windows.bat'

"

PS Is it correct to say that fastboot is the bootloader mode for pulse?

fastboot is the executable that does stuff if your phone is in bootloader mode :)

Recovery mode is completely different from the regular ROM that you're running and hence quickboot.

Other than that yeah, you should be able to just install it as per the instructions ;)

Guest Casper-vH

worked like a charm.

Just having one problem. In quick boot, the bootloader button doesnt work. It just reboots normally. (has never worked btw)

Im using vanilla custom rom.

Guest giryan
worked like a charm.

Just having one problem. In quick boot, the bootloader button doesnt work. It just reboots normally. (has never worked btw)

Im using vanilla custom rom.

Cool :)

I've never tried it, so couldn't say if it just doesn't work on the Pulse or not ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest bmordue
Hi,

New Pulse owner here :) I'm trying to do do a Nandroid backup but when i start the install-recovery-windows.bat i pops up a terminal window and says "waiting for device" forever :S I'm using Win7 :/ also i haven't rooted my phone (not sure if it's necessary)

I was stuck at this stage for a while too... In the end, this post got me on my way again.

In short, after upgrading to the December update, I had to go into Settings>Applications>Development and switch on USB debugging. Now all is rosy! :)