21/Dec 1.91 - Teknologist kernel with tun.ko, ext4, cifs, and compache ramzswap for GSM Hero

Guest teknologist

Guest teknologist
so are we gonna have any new updates ? :) or did we hit the peak in the kernel mod ?

I think we hit the peak for 1.5...lets wait and see when HTC releases 2.1 and the kernel sources for 2.6.29...Then I'll go back to tweaking/testing/patching...and 2.6.29 should be great to tweak as I'll be able to build/test a BFS enabled kernel ! ;-)

Guest masterpfa
I think we hit the peak for 1.5...lets wait and see when HTC releases 2.1 and the kernel sources for 2.6.29...Then I'll go back to tweaking/testing/patching...and 2.6.29 should be great to tweak as I'll be able to build/test a BFS enabled kernel ! ;-)

Hmmmm, (rubbing hands at the thought).

We all know what 2.1 has to offer a very nice looking ROM with some nice features

Now just imagine that with Paul's tweaking and a teknologist kernel

Hmm Hmmm Hmmmmmmm!!!

:)

what do you think should dalvik cache be moved to SD?

and if it is moved what benefits will I have?

will i be able to revert this?

is it moved to ext* partition?

Is there a possibility to underclock the Hero's cpu while asleep?

cat /proc/cpuinfo shows 526.25 BogoMips. is it the clock speed?

thank you :)

Edited by RatSon

Guest teknologist
what do you think should dalvik cache be moved to SD?

and if it is moved what benefits will I have?

will i be able to revert this?

is it moved to ext* partition?

Is there a possibility to underclock the Hero's cpu while asleep?

cat /proc/cpuinfo shows 526.25 BogoMips. is it the clock speed?

thank you :)

for dalvik cache I don't move it to sd...don't see any benefits for me...

as for CPU clock, while asleep it is ~246MHz (when not connected to USB, if it is it'll stay at 528Mhz)

If you want to check that cpu is ~246MHz while asleep (screen off) you need to check it through ssh...

for dalvik cache I don't move it to sd...don't see any benefits for me...

as for CPU clock, while asleep it is ~246MHz (when not connected to USB, if it is it'll stay at 528Mhz)

If you want to check that cpu is ~246MHz while asleep (screen off) you need to check it through ssh...

cat /proc/cpuinfo writes the same while not on usb and asleep: 526.

Guest teknologist
cat /proc/cpuinfo writes the same while not on usb and asleep: 526.

yep but that's static info about the cpu, and it's not where you see the actual running clock !

All cpu runtime stats are here:

/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/

and the current running freq is here:

/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_cur_freq

All this info is available on my website ! ;-)

[EDIT]

On my phone running 3.2b3 with 1.92 TCK:

$ ssh [email protected] -p2222

[email protected]'s password:
SCREEN ON
#  cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_cur_freq

Then TURN OFF SCREEN
#  cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_cur_freq

Edited by teknologist

Guest teknologist
1.92?:)

Again, 1.92 is the same as 1.91 apart from the ramdisk which is updated for MCR 3.1/3.2 and ready to work with the MCR settings app currently in development...(will allow live changes to compcache/ MCR update check/ in ROM donation etc.)

Edited by teknologist

<cut>

if i understand right ramzswap is an automatically compressed ramdisk swap volume. (un)compressing data eats cpu, and is a little bit slow, but i see that's the price of having more ram available.

<cut>.

A thought!

The time lost by a fast compression/decompression algorithm would be well compensated with a substancial speed gain on a slow disk/card, by making the footprint/"file size" much lower. Eh?

Guest teknologist
A thought!

The time lost by a fast compression/decompression algorithm would be well compensated with a substancial speed gain on a slow disk/card, by making the footprint/"file size" much lower. Eh?

Not at all...read the compcache infos to understand what disksize_kb really is...I agree the parameter name is confusing....(I didn't write compcache myself.. ;-)

Not at all...read the compcache infos to understand what disksize_kb really is...I agree the parameter name is confusing....(I didn't write compcache myself.. ;-)

I ment, if the compression/decompression makes the process 10% slower but the filespace 30% smaller for one special operation, it should be a gain on slow class 2, class 4 cards.

/Rune ( this is difficult even in native langue :) )

Edited by runeo

Guest teknologist
I ment, if the compression/decompression makes the process 10% slower but the filespace 30% smaller for one special operation, it should be a gain on slow class 2, class 4 cards.

/Rune ( this is difficult even in native langue :) )

I really don't understand what you mean...

Anyway I have disabled compcache on my Hero and advise to do it on latest MCR ROMs...seems the benefits we had in the beginning are not worth anymore in the latest speedy/responsive MCRs...

To disable it just have a look in the forums or bake your ROM in kitchen with compcache disabled...

Anyway I have disabled compcache on my Hero and advise to do it on latest MCR ROMs...seems the benefits we had in the beginning are not worth anymore in the latest speedy/responsive MCRs...

I have just baked a new ROM based on b5 and disabled Compcache at the same time. The sluggishness and lack of response from my phone when I first wake it has gone - things had got so bad, even after reboots, that I had got a new SD card to see if the problem was a slow card and was going to swap cards tonight. It is so much faster that I have to keep turning it on to see if it is still as responsive.

The real test will be tomorrow when I start taking phone calls - I have been missing calls because I have not managed to get the phone to respond before the call had gone to voicemail (I have to dial 1 in order to accept some calls, and by the time I had got the dialler keypad to appear the call would have gone).

Guest teknologist

To all, I am pretty sure things were not as bad in earlier ROMs (before 3.1/3.2b) ...

Really I don't remember having such a benefit removing compcache !

Anyone ?

Edited by teknologist

Guest masterpfa
To all, I am pretty sure things were not as bad in earlier ROMs (before 3.1/3.2b) ...

Really I don't remember having such a benefit removing compcache !

Anyone ?

Hi Teknologist, having read your post, I too, on your advice have disable CC in my latest Bake!

I must admit having run CC in all but my earliest bakes I have not noticed any particular lag at all.

I had tried removing rouge apps etc, I swear by Process Manager now, and CC was not an issue for me

I have tended to run a "BareBones" ROM since Kitchen was introduced and removing automatic notifications where not necessary

for example if I need to know what e-mails I have on GMail I go into it and press refresh.

I must say that Paul's latest MCCR 3.2 Beta 5 if by far the best, with your 1.92 Kernel and CPU Governor

I will report back after 48hrs or so use with my CC free build.

:)

Edit: All good no noticeable lag, I have also been using the taskkiller script edit. Together the phone is so responsive.

Shame I now have a hardware problem and the phone now has to go back for a warranty repair.

Edited by masterpfa

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

I have been cooking my own private ROM based on the latest shipped release, and I also want to integrate the Teknologist kernel into it. You have instructions on your site on how to install it to a generic ROM, but how would I integrate it into the ROM so that I don't need to install it separately? Do I copy the entire system folder and the entire boot.img file into my working folder?

EDIT: Nevermind... Yes, I need to copy everything into my working folder

Edited by D I

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest krtek

Hi,

I did not find what should I do when I want to try some other roms. At the moment I have MCR, but I want to test some new 2.1 rom (vanillain,ckdroid, Raidroid,...).

Should I swap to you kernel ford generic ROMs or should I stay on MCR kernel or I have to do something else.

Thanks you.

Guest teknologist
Hi,

I did not find what should I do when I want to try some other roms. At the moment I have MCR, but I want to test some new 2.1 rom (vanillain,ckdroid, Raidroid,...).

Should I swap to you kernel ford generic ROMs or should I stay on MCR kernel or I have to do something else.

Thanks you.

My kernel just works on 1.5 based ROMS (MCR, Generics etc.)

For all 2.1 based ROMs there is no htc hero kernel source yet, so no Teknologist kernel ! :-(

If you try 2.1 based ROMS just leave the ROM installed kernel.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest SketchF

I have been running the MDC ROM for a few months now, but a few days ago I finally got around to adding this kernel on. I am genuinely amazed with the difference it has made. Thanks for all the work that's gone into this, I'm sure it must have taken a chunk of time! :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest demitree

I have a stock hero rom 2.73.405.66 on my HTC Hero (Orange UK). Teknologist kernel for stock ROMs eats battery a lot faster than the stock kernel. I have tried this several time with exactly the same wifi/edge/sync/apps settings, but with Teknologist my battery is down to 50 percent in 4 to 5 hours on standby. Whilst, with the stock kernel, it takes almost 12 to 14 hours for the battery to drop to 50%.

Is this expected behavior?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest alexk-il

Hi,

I'm using the 1.91 kernel with my HTC Hero for more than 3 months. It is super stable and very fast. Thank you for your great contribution.

I've noticed that the kernel comes with the rooted ADB shell server, while the shell inside the phone is not rooted (it requires su to get root permissions). Is there a way to change the default behavior of the ADB shell, so it will also require the explicit "su" command to get the root access?

Thanks

Alex

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest demento

so, now the 2.6.29 kernel sources are officially released by htc, can we expect a superb teknologist kernel?

Edited by demento