21/Dec 1.91 - Teknologist kernel with tun.ko, ext4, cifs, and compache ramzswap for GSM Hero

Guest teknologist

Guest teknologist
I installed the 1.7 kernel today, on top of Paul's 2.8 ROM - and also partitioned my 8GB Class 6 SD card (thus enabling A2SD)

All seems good, although I'm noticing a (distinct) lag when "waking up" via a hard key. Scrolling left/right on the home screens or opening the apps menu seems quite stuttery for 4-5 seconds coming out of sleep, then is fine - is this 'normal' as the device wakes up/reads the SD card?

(other than that, all seems hunkydory and ace) :D

Not sure, maybe, if you have lots of apps in A2SD that launch on wakeUp after sleep (you can see that in autostarts)...Mine wakes up almost perfectly (I use the double click on MENU button to avoid the slider)

Bottom line, we can't increase the CPU so if you have lots of applications running in // and some have background processing, it may slow down the device for a few secs...

Edited by teknologist

Guest teknologist
that looks great.

@teknologist: i'm gonna try 128mb as pool size, or shouldn't i? (some limitations that the pool size has to multiple of x or something?)

I have already tried 128Mb and I am currently running on 144Mb.

I will be releasing tomorrow a few extra-update files to apply different Ramzswap scenarios.

Just updates to the main initialization files for ramzswap.

various sizes will be available:

96Mb / 128Mb / 144Mb om ramzswap pool in RAM

I have tested the three of them for a few days and seem stable.

I have the feeling I can run more apps in // .

Will listen for sure to feedback from different users.

Stay tuned, will update tomorrow...

Edited by teknologist

Guest Euthanatos

I am trying the 144M right now, I will keep you posted

DiskSize: 147456 kB

NumReads: 25

NumWrites: 28

FailedReads: 0

FailedWrites: 0

InvalidIO: 0

NotifyFree: 1

ZeroPages: 2

GoodCompress: 28 %

NoCompress: 32 %

PagesStored: 25

PagesUsed: 20

OrigDataSize: 100 kB

ComprDataSize: 66 kB

MemUsedTotal: 80 kB

Guest rico2k_uk

Great update! Works really well, but I also get the lag after sleep. I only found it doing it after a prolonged sleep - ie when I tried waking it this morning. I had to use advanced task manager to close everythinp to speed it all back us again. Also notice still get some lag on keypad, but only very slight. Such an improvement over stock! Can't wait to see what else you guys concoct up!

Guest ptruman
Not sure, maybe, if you have lots of apps in A2SD that launch on wakeUp after sleep (you can see that in autostarts)...Mine wakes up almost perfectly (I use the double click on MENU button to avoid the slider)

Bottom line, we can't increase the CPU so if you have lots of applications running in // and some have background processing, it may slow down the device for a few secs...

I setup my card and rebooted, which has moved most stuff to A2SD by the look of the partition (when ls'd via adb). Is there any way to selectively pick/nominate what does and doesn't go to SD? (I know Paul's ROM automatically moves stuff it can do) - I've had a brief squizz but not seen anything, but will look again.

Either way, thanks for the kernel, ace work - and ta (again) for the menu double click, I didn't know that one existed :D

Guest shokka9

Thanks Teknologist, this kernel is a BIG improvement on the standard one.

Coupled with Pauls 2.8 ROM, my Hero feels a lot quicker, and more stable.

Good work.........keep it up, and congrats on the site too, looks coolio!!

I just updated my the 1.7 kernel on top on my MCR 2.5 ROM. Everything is working fine and I don't have any SD card partitions set up.

There is definitely a speed improvement!

Thanks for your work :D

Works like a charm for me and seems even snappier than before. Thumbs up!

I will now repartition and use APPS2SD to see if it makes it even better. :D

Edited by FenriZ

Guest dlzerocool

Hi, first thanks for your great work !

I wanted to know if you share informations like this or like compcache that you have on your website with HTC.

Because it would be a real improvement if by default we get this improvements on official HTC roms.

Knowing that htc is close to release eclair on hero, perhaps it's the best moment to contact them.

dl.zerocools

Works like a charm for me and seems even snappier than before. Thumbs up!

Some more details:

- keyboard input has no lags anymore and is *really* fast

- no more lags when switching desks, even after wakeup

- felt application startup is faster

- application switching is incredibly fast

- still some tiny lags e.g. in facebook or contacts when scrolling

You said it was only tweaking, but I can feel the difference. :D

Hi, first thanks for your great work !

I wanted to know if you share informations like this or like compcache that you have on your website with HTC.

Because it would be a real improvement if by default we get this improvements on official HTC roms.

Knowing that htc is close to release eclair on hero, perhaps it's the best moment to contact them.

dl.zerocools

tbh i don't think the engineers at htc aren't aware of stuff like compcache and the rest... i am sure they have their reasons why they build the kernel the way they did.

and besides that, i am also sure they know this forum aswell as xda-devs, as these two are by far the most active ones. nevertheless i would support the idea of contacting htc, as it also could lead to more improvements to our custom roms a.k.a. you scratch my back i scratch yours... just dreaming :D

Guest emotiveicon

Hey, teknologist, I just want to thank you for the work that you've put in to making the HTC Hero one of the best Android phones currently available. Seriously. You and Paul have worked freakin' miracles!

I was just wondering if you had a Paypal account in to which you could receive donations? I asked Paul about one and he set up a Paypal 'Donate Now' button shortly afterwards. Could you do the same on your blog? I really want to support you guys in what you're doing for us less technically-minded folk and I'm sure I'm not the only one!

Guest shokka9

its like buses.....all comes at once!!

Thanks Teknologist, will update in a hour or so.....need to update radio, my battery doesnt last that long and i dont make phone calls!!

Keep them coming!

Guest phillevy

Bit concerned - I updated to 1.8 a few hours ago and all seemed fine. Went to use my phone just now and it was completely dead - wouldn't respond to power button or being plugged into charger. I got it to come back on by removing and reinstalling the battery and then it switched back on and booted fine. Battery is about 75% - this has never happened before - just coincidence or related to the new kernel?

Guest agent-5

Sorry for sounding such a n00b, but can someone give me a bit of info on exactly what this kernel update is please?

There's nothing on the FAQ section of the web site and I can't seem to find much info on here. 

Can someone tell me why its needed, what it'll do and what affect it will have on my current installation?

Also, 'Get rid of all your swap partitions', does this mean the phone will go back to using internal memory for cache/apps?

FYI, I'm running MoDaCo 2.8, Cache2SD, Davlik2SD, Apps2SD and Swapper.

---

Thanks in advance everyone!  :D

Guest jank.dk

The graphs on Teknologist's site are nice, but they are flawed.

The 80MB size is not what Compcache is allowed to use, but the size of the actual swap. The Linux kernel cannot cope with a swap device that changes its size, so the 80MB is what Compcache tells the kernel what its size is.

So, using the conservative ratio of 2.4 we get:

The Compcache will use 80/2.4 = 33.333 MB.

Therefore, total memory will be (196-33.333) + 80 = 242.667 or a gain of 46.667 MB

Using the optimistic ratio of 3 we get:

The Compcache will use 80/3 = 26.666 MB.

Therefore, total memory will be (196-26.666) + 80 = 249.334 or a gain of 53.334 MB

Not quite like the nice numbers on the site, but still a good thing :D

Sorry for sounding such a n00b, but can someone give me a bit of info on exactly what this kernel update is please?

There's nothing on the FAQ section of the web site and I can't seem to find much info on here.

Can someone tell me why its needed, what it'll do and what affect it will have on my current installation?

Also, 'Get rid of all your swap partitions', does this mean the phone will go back to using internal memory for cache/apps?

FYI, I'm running MoDaCo 2.8, Cache2SD, Davlik2SD, Apps2SD and Swapper.

---

Thanks in advance everyone! :D

The update is to make the phone run better, smoother, faster. It won't effect the apps, they are stored on ext3, or 4