Multitouch possible in theory?

Guest lemmyc

Guest BigBearMDC
Was it able to simultaneously track two finger presses (ie if you put two fingers on the screen and move both fingers around at the same time) ?

Nope, it recognizes the finger, but not its coordinates :P

Guest xangma
Nope, it recognizes the finger, but not its coordinates :P

I don't know as much about this as I should. But how is it getting the co-ordinates for the first one? Can't you just use the same method? Or is it figuring out the 2nd one a different way?

Guest BigBearMDC
I don't know as much about this as I should. But how is it getting the co-ordinates for the first one? Can't you just use the same method? Or is it figuring out the 2nd one a different way?

I don't know.

Maybe the controller just doesn't read the coordinates of the second point?

Greetings,

BigBear

Guest MarcusHenrique
Everything we were working for so hard just falls appart :(

I have a feeling that this guy isn't really from huawei staff. Haven't you guys said that everyone at their forum is marked as staff? I just have the impression that if someone from huawei replys a post in their forum he should at least speaks correct english, even if he is chinese. I don't know but maybe you got that reply from some ordinary "xing-ling".

That been said, I would not lost all my hope. If the screen is able to detect both fingers it should get both coordinates as well!

But again, I'm just a guy that likes to interprate things I don't have any knowledge :P

Guest BigBearMDC
I have a feeling that this guy isn't really from huawei staff. Haven't you guys said that everyone at their forum is marked as staff? I just have the impression that if someone from huawei replys a post in their forum he should at least speaks correct english, even if he is chinese. I don't know but maybe you got that reply from some ordinary "xing-ling".

That been said, I would not lost all my hope. If the screen is able to detect both fingers it should get both coordinates as well!

But again, I'm just a guy that likes to interprate things I don't have any knowledge :P

I'm also a bit sceptic.

Because I asked for the controller, and he said the screen is not capable of multitouch, but the screen is definetly capable of it. The controller has to support it.

Also, they delivered us a MT driver, and thats a fact.

He just forwarded the message to the Huawei research & development team, and then posted what they replied to him.

So I a) don't know what he asked them and :( don't know what they replied.

But I have to mention that he's an admin of this forum.

I nearly can't believe the Pulse doesn't support Multitouch. Even though its a pretty cheap handset.

I'll have a deep look at the whole input section of the kernel, and hopefully I'll find something.

Greetings,

BigBear

Guest le_lutin
I'm also a bit sceptic.

Because I asked for the controller, and he said the screen is not capable of multitouch, but the screen is definetly capable of it.

What makes you think the screen is definitely capable of it? I'm not saying it isn't (I have no idea either way!).

Sony Ericsson recently announced that their new Android phone, the X10 isn't capable of multitouch both from a hardware and software point of view.

Guest MarcusHenrique

BigBear,

You should make this thing work and then rubber in their faces (don't know if this expression means what I want in english).

And maybe huawei hires you.. how'd you like to work in china? hehe

I'll get back to my own research now, cya

Guest BigBearMDC
What makes you think the screen is definitely capable of it? I'm not saying it isn't (I have no idea either way!).

Sony Ericsson recently announced that their new Android phone, the X10 isn't capable of multitouch both from a hardware and software point of view.

As far as I know there a two types of touchscreens.

One with 4 wires (+, -, x, y).

This screen can't handle MT (and can only report one finger, not more).

The other one has one connection for each line and each colummn. This screen is able of MT and it can report more than one finger.

So imho the screen must be MT capable as he reports more than one finger.

Greetings,

BigBear

Guest John Hamelink
As far as I know there a two types of touchscreens.

One with 4 wires (+, -, x, y).

This screen can't handle MT (and can only report one finger, not more).

The other one has one connection for each line and each colummn. This screen is able of MT and it can report more than one finger.

So imho the screen must be MT capable as he reports more than one finger.

Greetings,

BigBear

If I remember correctly, I read a while back a about guy who seemed to know his stuff about electronics doing a test on the screen (on these forums, I think it's the post about responsiveness). He did a test that proved it was capacitive which means multitouch.

Guest BigBearMDC
If I remember correctly, I read a while back a about guy who seemed to know his stuff about electronics doing a test on the screen (on these forums, I think it's the post about responsiveness). He did a test that proved it was capacitive which means multitouch.

I don't know if this was his intention, but the guy from Huawei didn't give me the information I asked for...

So theres still hope.

Guest le_lutin

Are you sure about that? The Sony Ericsson X10's screen is capacitative and yet SE say that its hardware doesn't support multitouch

Source:

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2010/03/29/so...touch_hardware/

Guest John Hamelink
Are you sure about that? The Sony Ericsson X10's screen is capacitative and yet SE say that its hardware doesn't support multitouch

Source:

In short, no :P I'll check that thread and see if I can find the post in question.

Edit: I think I mean this one: http://android.modaco.com/index.php?s=&amp...t&p=1140477

Edited by John Hamelink

Guest BigBearMDC

Source:

Thats true, but not the screen is responsible for MT - its the Controller/Digitizer.

And the X10's digitizer isn't capable of MT.

Greetings,

BigBear

Edited by BigBearMDC

Guest BigBearMDC
Have you see Huawei's reply? http://www.huaweidevice.com/community/thre...&orderStr=9

It doesn't really say why it doesn't support MT, but it doesn't look like great news..

Yap we discussed that a page ago :P

I found something interesting:

#ifdef CONFIG_CYPRESS_TOUCHSCREEN_MULTIPOINT
#define I2C_READ_LEN 9
#else
#define I2C_READ_LEN 5
#endif

[...]

#ifdef CONFIG_CYPRESS_TOUCHSCREEN_MULTIPOINT
if (finger == 0x82) {
position[0][0] = buf[2] | (uint16_t)(buf[1] & 0x03) << 8;
position[0][1] = buf[4] | (uint16_t)(buf[3] & 0x03) << 8;
position[1][0] = buf[6] | (uint16_t)(buf[5] & 0x03) << 8;
position[1][1] = buf[8] | (uint16_t)(buf[7] & 0x03) << 8;

CYPRESS_DEBUG("%u %u %u %u\n", position[0][0],position[0][1], position[1][0],position[1][1]);
input_report_abs(ts->input_dev, ABS_X, position[0][0]);
input_report_abs(ts->input_dev, ABS_Y, position[0][1]);
input_report_key(ts->input_dev, BTN_TOUCH, 2);

input_report_key(ts->input_dev, BTN_2, 1);
input_report_abs(ts->input_dev, ABS_HAT0X, position[1][0]);
input_report_abs(ts->input_dev, ABS_HAT0Y, position[1][1]);
input_sync(ts->input_dev);
}

else if (finger == 0x81) {
position[0][0] = buf[2] | (uint16_t)(buf[1] & 0x03) << 8;
position[0][1] = buf[4] | (uint16_t)(buf[3] & 0x03) << 8;
input_report_abs(ts->input_dev, ABS_X, position[0][0]);
input_report_abs(ts->input_dev, ABS_Y, position[0][1]);
input_report_key(ts->input_dev, BTN_TOUCH, 1);
}
#else

[...]

#ifdef CONFIG_CYPRESS_TOUCHSCREEN_GESTRUE
GESTURE_TYPE gesture;
gesture = i2c_smbus_read_byte_data(ts->client, 0x09);
if (gesture < 0) {
CYPRESS_DEBUG("i2c_smbus_read_byte_data failed\n");
}
else if ((gesture > 0) && (gesture < 16)) {
CYPRESS_DEBUG("gesture = %d\n", gesture);
input_report_gesture(ts->input_dev, gesture,0);
}
#endif

[...][/codebox]

Guess where I found that ... cypress_cpt_i2c_ts.c.

This driver is compiled with the kernel [u]by default[/u], but I'm not sure what it's good for.

I think the Touchscreen uses the synaptics driver ... but why should we have a second (and even a third - also from synaptics) touchscreen driver in the kernel??

I'll try what happens if I only compile the cypress driver - I really don't know what will happen then ...

Edit:

There are so many little things hidden things in the kernel that point to MT ... why should Huawei add al those things if they're totally useless??

Greetings,

BigBear

Edited by BigBearMDC

Guest Theme Ishere

Hello Everyone

I just write to say how great this forum and especially this thread is. Great to see that so many people from different countries working together in this community.

It would be great to see Multitouch working at one point, but the excitement reading all your posts every day to see if there is any breakthrough is fun enough for me ;)

Sadly I cannot really help as I have no idea about compiling kernels or programming whatsoever. I hope you appreciate a bit of pure admiration and gratitude anyway though ;)

Regarding the answer from Huawei, it looks like they just cannot be bothered to deal with this matter, or tried multitouch once and it was crappy or are just not planning to implement it in the new update so it is easier to make everyone believe it is not possible to avoid questions about it all the time.

Keep up the good work

Thanks

Theme Ishere

Guest rss2k

[...]
#ifdef CONFIG_CYPRESS_TOUCHSCREEN_GESTRUE
[...][/codebox]

Have you seen the typo? GESTRUE vs GESTURE. I wonder if that piece of code has been tested.

Guest BigBearMDC
Have you seen the typo? GESTRUE vs GESTURE. I wonder if that piece of code has been tested.

I guess they made that because CONFIG_TOUCHSCREEN_GESTURE gets used by the synaptics driver.

Its though very curious that they just rename it to GESTRUE ;) ... not very mature ;)

Greetings,

BigBear

Guest BigBearMDC

Okay, I made an additional post @Huawei Technical Forum:

Okay, thanks.
But then I got further questions.
Why are there two (well, in fact 4) touchscreen drivers?
Which one is used?
The synaptics or the cypress driver?
And the cypress driver has a definition for both Multipoint and Gesture support, which has to be added to the kernel config.
(CONFIG_CYPRESS_TOUCHSCREEN_GESTRUE & CONFIG_CYPRESS_TOUCHSCREEN_MULTIPOINT)
Both drivers get compiled, and are actually in the kernel Image.
But if I try to compile the kernel with the Cypress driver alone, the screen doesn't work anymore.

There are three synaptics and two cypress drivers in the kernel.
Synaptics I2C RMI,
Synaptics I2C RMI TM1319,
Synaptics I2C RMI TM1167,
Cypress CPT and
Cypress BYD.
I think TM1319 and TM1167 represent the controller that gets used, right?
Those drivers are compiled and part of the kernel:
Synaptics I2C RMI,
Synaptics I2C RMI TM1319 and
Cypress CPT.

Why are there 3 [different] drivers?
Andy why is the Cypress driver capable of MT if the U8220 doesn't support it?

I'm not a developer, and I understand hardly as much about the Hardware of the U8220 as the Huawei Developers. But as far as I know the Touchscreen has to be MT capable.
How should it otherwise be possible that the phone recognizes it when I place up to three fingers on the screen, and even count them?

Don't misunderstand me, I'm really glad for any help I can get, especially if I get it directly from the manufacturer, but for me it seems like Huawei just doesn't want to give out more detailed technical specs of this device.

I would be very glad if there was a way to talk to a Huawei Dev directly - maybe there is?

Best regards and thanks in advance,
Wolfram -------------[/codebox]

I'm just not satisfied with the answer I got ....

Edit:

Why the hell did they censor "talk" ???

Edited by BigBearMDC

Guest BigBearMDC

Update:

Compiling the kernel with the Cypress driver alone works, but the screen isn't working then ;)

Greetings,

BigBear

• 2 weeks later...
Guest BigBearMDC

Oh my god!

It should support dualtouch, try to use coordinate of finger1 ,by reading 0x1B 0x1C 0x1E 0x1F .

:huh:

Edited by BigBearMDC

Guest BigBearMDC
Your sig file suggests you have this working now - is that true?????

I haven't changed my sig for a month or so :P

Well the driver supports MT theoretically, but It doesn't get the coordinates.

I'm right at the moment working on applying the changes Huawei suggested.

As soon as it works I'll update my repo :huh:

Greetings,

BigBear

Guest McSpoon
It should support dualtouch, try to use coordinate of finger1 ,by reading 0x1B 0x1C 0x1E 0x1F .

Intriguing. :huh: I'm not sure if I understand what they're suggesting but I'm just getting 0 returned from those addresses. I'm moving 2 fingers around on the screen and those registers contain zeros. However I haven't got a clue about kernel drivers so I'm clearly doing something wrong. Still, it's intriguing... and puzzling. First they said "both the touchscreen & hardware driver do not support Multitouch" and now they're saying it might support dualtouch. I'm not sure where that leaves it.