Software that can backup/restore all settings of any apps !

Guest Keramidas

Guest Keramidas
Keramidas, because I've voted once( on batches when you first put the poll up) I can't vote again.

I think that you might need to create a new poll if you want people to vote again?

You're right, tonight I will delete the poll and create it again, with the choices that are still relevant today.

Thanks !

Hello,

A new Titanium Backup/Restore user here. I donated for the batch operations yesterday but I've been having some issues.

On Modaco 3.1, I can't run the batch backup operation -- I get a "The application Titanium Backup has stopped unexpectedly" and in the notification bar the message "Backup up - 32% - EboBirthday 1.5.3". I don't use apps2sd.

Is there some logging I can supply to the developer to get this resolved?

Greetings,

N

Edit: I have version 2.6.4

Edited by nysos

Guest Keramidas

Hi nysos,

Yes absolutely, you could capture a log of the "force close" crash (most important thing is the stack trace) using either "adb logcat" (preferred) or if you don't have adb, use the aLogcat app on the phone itself.

It would also be useful for me to know:

- does the crash always happens when backing up the same app ?

- does the crash happen everytime, and do you need to do something special to reproduce it ?

- and very important: does the crash still happen after using the "Problems?" button to upgrade your busybox executable ?

Many thanks !

Thanks for the quick reply. I updated the busybox, removed the old backups from the sdcard and it worked fine on next run. :-)

I ran into another force close though. This time I installed Modaco 3.2 beta and tried to restore all the missing apps + system data. It got to about 80% and then force closed. I removed the offending program which it was crashing on, but then it crashed on the next one in the list. I'll PM you the log file I was able to extract.

Guest Keramidas
Thanks for the quick reply. I updated the busybox, removed the old backups from the sdcard and it worked fine on next run. :-)

I ran into another force close though. This time I installed Modaco 3.2 beta and tried to restore all the missing apps + system data. It got to about 80% and then force closed. I removed the offending program which it was crashing on, but then it crashed on the next one in the list. I'll PM you the log file I was able to extract.

Hi nysos,

Thanks for your private message with the stack trace. This is very helpful ! Oh, and just one question: how many apps did you attempt to restore in one shot ?

Hi nysos,

Thanks for your private message with the stack trace. This is very helpful ! Oh, and just one question: how many apps did you attempt to restore in one shot ?

There were 101 listed and it crashed i believe around the 83rd app.

Hello,

im sorry if this was mentioned before but i think uninstalling system apps doesnt work. Is that right? Everytime i uninstall a system app TitaniumBackup says it was successful. But the apk is still there and so the app is still there.

Am i doing something wrong?

Regards,

pepe

Guest Keramidas
Hello,

im sorry if this was mentioned before but i think uninstalling system apps doesnt work. Is that right? Everytime i uninstall a system app TitaniumBackup says it was successful. But the apk is still there and so the app is still there.

Am i doing something wrong?

Regards,

pepe

Hi oopepe,

No you're doing nothing wrong :-)

The system app uninstall is not implemented yet (and currently says "success" which is indeed stupid). The feature will soon be added though :-)

No you're doing nothing wrong :-)

The system app uninstall is not implemented yet (and currently says "success" which is indeed stupid). The feature will soon be added though :-)

Hi,

oh thats good to know :-) Im looking forward to this!

Btw, thanks for the fast reply..

Regards,

pepe

Guest Jagerkatze

Forgive me if I've overlooked the answer to my questions but here goes:

I paid for the MoDaCo ad free (CDMA hero ROM Kitchen worked great) and was hoping to be able to get the Titanium full version and last pass info, but I'm a bit confused as to how I go about doing that...

Guest JMonkeYJ

I love this app and keep finding little unexpected uses for it, so thanks again.

But I have a request for another batch mode which I think would resolve ROM-update woes. I'd like a "Restore all app data + system data" mode. This mode would only restore settings, no actual apps, but would restore ALL settings. With this mode, when you update a ROM, all your system settings and settings for apps that come pre-installed in the ROM will be restored! Then, you can follow this up with "Restore missing apps with data" and you should get back all your personal apps with their settings.

Let me know what you think.

Guest Keramidas
Forgive me if I've overlooked the answer to my questions but here goes:

I paid for the MoDaCo ad free (CDMA hero ROM Kitchen worked great) and was hoping to be able to get the Titanium full version and last pass info, but I'm a bit confused as to how I go about doing that...

Hi Jagerkatze,

Paul gives the full version of Titanium Backup (same features as the Donate version) to his MoDaCo Plus members. The MoDaCo ad free membership is not enough, I'm afraid...

Guest Keramidas
I love this app and keep finding little unexpected uses for it, so thanks again.

But I have a request for another batch mode which I think would resolve ROM-update woes. I'd like a "Restore all app data + system data" mode. This mode would only restore settings, no actual apps, but would restore ALL settings. With this mode, when you update a ROM, all your system settings and settings for apps that come pre-installed in the ROM will be restored! Then, you can follow this up with "Restore missing apps with data" and you should get back all your personal apps with their settings.

Let me know what you think.

Hi JMonkeYJ,

Thanks for your feedback. Your post makes perfect sense. I agree that a feature to "Restore all data for installed apps + system data" would be great.

This is now added to my TODO list !

Thanks again :D

Guest Keramidas

News flash: I'm flattered...

My app is being requested on warez forums !

Here is a conversation that I captured on a private forum:

x1: Hi

I'm searching for a donate key file of titanium backup.

Does anyone have one? :lol:

Thanks in advance

http://www.cyrket.com/p/android/com....itaniumBackup/

x2: +1 also interested

x3: +10million?

taran86: if the developer will ever send me the key i paid for, ill share b/c its taken a full day already, and i havnt got it.

x4: can't wait for you to share it with us

x5: I just bought a key. However I talked to the dev and I will have to suggest donating. Decent people should be treated decently.

x3: im all for donating... but i would like to see the features provided by the "updated" version... if all it does is run faster for 6 bucks, i can deal with it being slow.. ive been out of work since 08 and my money is precious to me

x5: Min donation is like 3 bucks. I will vouch and say the difference between registered and non-registered is huge. You will not be able to register with my key as it registered with a server once the program is started. If you are the type that is constantly flashing new roms then this will work great and the paid version is worlds better than MyBackupPro. You can verify that you have backed up the apps, its faster, and (this is the real selling point) unattended install of all apps. If you know how to do this with gscript save your money. If you are lazy and dont want to use gscript then this is a perfect solution for you.

It's a pleasure to see that my donators really love what they paid for :D

Oops ! Sorry taran86 I forgot to anonymize you, oh well :D - And btw if you didn't get your key, why not just e-mail me instead of posting on warez forums ?

Anyway - posting your key is not the best idea, since it will then get revoked and be nonfunctional - unless you eat 2048-bit Asymetric cryptosystems for breakfast, that is :lol:

Guest Keramidas
Can you add an option to backup only app without data?

Hi drigerott,

Yes I could certainly do that. I'll try to add it soon.

Just a question if you don't mind - what do you need this for ? Do you often need to "reset the data" for several apps at once ?

On the other hand, if you just need this to get the apk's, you can already get them by choosing "no compression" in the settings, and then grabbing them from the TitaniumBackup directory when the backup is done.

Thanks !

Guest sunstorm

Hi Joel,

I have been using your free version for a couple of weeks and I loved the concept of the app. I do have a small request.

Can you allow the app to run without busybox initialization routines if it is not installed but root is available? The current problem i face is my HTC Hero will fail the Titanium backup check for busybox and i cannot subsequently install the busybox version in the app even if my phone is rooted.

I'm running root explorer ver 2.8 currently and I have no issues with modifying system files so I'm pretty sure my mobile is rooted.

thanks

Lawrence

Guest Keramidas
Hi Joel,

I have been using your free version for a couple of weeks and I loved the concept of the app. I do have a small request.

Can you allow the app to run without busybox initialization routines if it is not installed but root is available? The current problem i face is my HTC Hero will fail the Titanium backup check for busybox and i cannot subsequently install the busybox version in the app even if my phone is rooted.

I'm running root explorer ver 2.8 currently and I have no issues with modifying system files so I'm pretty sure my mobile is rooted.

thanks

Lawrence

Hi sunstorm,

I don't doubt that your mobile is properly rooted, but the problem is that (currently) Titanium Backup needs an old busybox to install the new busybox (ie: it needs at least an old busybox for the "Problems?" button to work). I will definitely try to get rid of this requirement in the future.

In the meantime, have you tried to follow the "manual busybox download" procedure on the Titanium Backup web page ?

Thanks !

PS: Before you install busybox, could you perhaps try the following few commands and tell me if they work ? "chmod" "busybox chmod" "which busybox" "which chmod".

Edited by Keramidas

Guest sunstorm
Hi sunstorm,

I don't doubt that your mobile is properly rooted, but the problem is that (currently) Titanium Backup needs an old busybox to install the new busybox (ie: it needs at least an old busybox for the "Problems?" button to work). I will definitely try to get rid of this requirement in the future.

In the meantime, have you tried to follow the "manual busybox download" procedure on the Titanium Backup web page ?

Thanks !

PS: Before you install busybox, could you perhaps try the following few commands and tell me if they work ? "chmod" "busybox chmod" "which busybox" "which chmod".

Hi Joel,

Thanks for the swift reply. My current setup has a busybox setup expressly just to try your nice app. It's version is 1.15.12, chmod 755 to give it the proper rights.

I apologize if I wasn't clear in my original post. My request actually pertains to re-installing your app in a new custom Rom which has no existing busybox setup. It's more of a feature request so that when I switch to another rom, I can skip installing a busybox and just use your app to install one for the exclusive use of titanium backup. I'm not a sophisticated user :D and my programmer days are long long past.

Hope that you will consider this feature in your most welcomed tri-weekly, sometimes even more frequent updates! The complainers in the market have no idea what they're going on about having too many updates.

Best regards,

Lawrence

Guest Keramidas
Hi Joel,

Thanks for the swift reply. My current setup has a busybox setup expressly just to try your nice app. It's version is 1.15.12, chmod 755 to give it the proper rights.

I apologize if I wasn't clear in my original post. My request actually pertains to re-installing your app in a new custom Rom which has no existing busybox setup. It's more of a feature request so that when I switch to another rom, I can skip installing a busybox and just use your app to install one for the exclusive use of titanium backup. I'm not a sophisticated user :D and my programmer days are long long past.

Hope that you will consider this feature in your most welcomed tri-weekly, sometimes even more frequent updates! The complainers in the market have no idea what they're going on about having too many updates.

Best regards,

Lawrence

Hi Lawrence,

You're welcome. My answer was not spot-on regarding your question. Yes it is my goal to make the "Problems?" button (aka "auto busybox installer") work even without a busybox present. The only thing I'm not sure about, is the "chmod" command:

- Do you have the chmod command on your phone that has no busybox ?

- Is the chmod command in the path (ie: does it work after a "su") ?

Once the existence of "chmod" on stock ROMs is clearer to me, I will probably make another update (in a few days at most) to make the "Problems?" button work even without a prior busybox installed.

Thanks !

Guest sunstorm
Hi Lawrence,

You're welcome. My answer was not spot-on regarding your question. Yes it is my goal to make the "Problems?" button (aka "auto busybox installer") work even without a busybox present. The only thing I'm not sure about, is the "chmod" command:

- Do you have the chmod command on your phone that has no busybox ?

- Is the chmod command in the path (ie: does it work after a "su") ?

Once the existence of "chmod" on stock ROMs is clearer to me, I will probably make another update (in a few days at most) to make the "Problems?" button work even without a prior busybox installed.

Thanks !

Hi Joel,

following your query, I did the following

1. wiped and flashed my nandroid backup of my clean rooted stock rom (5 months old! No busybox)

2. installed only better emulator app (checked, no busybox installation in that one)

3. ran the following

- su

- chmod

Chmod command returned :

chmod <mode> <file>

:D

I think this is pretty conclusive that the stock rom has the chmod command built in.

I purposely avoided using a USB connection to the computer and try via ADB shell chmod as I wanted to isolate the mobile unit from any possible contamination other than the standard stock rom files.

hope this helped.

Beat Regards,

Lawrence

Guest Keramidas
Hi Joel,

following your query, I did the following

1. wiped and flashed my nandroid backup of my clean rooted stock rom (5 months old! No busybox)

2. installed only better emulator app (checked, no busybox installation in that one)

3. ran the following

- su

- chmod

Chmod command returned :

chmod <mode> <file>

:D

I think this is pretty conclusive that the stock rom has the chmod command built in.

I purposely avoided using a USB connection to the computer and try via ADB shell chmod as I wanted to isolate the mobile unit from any possible contamination other than the standard stock rom files.

hope this helped.

Beat Regards,

Lawrence

Hi Lawrence,

This is good and confirms that an automatic busybox install (for use by Titanium) shall be possible without a prior busybox installed !

I will implement this in the next version. And if course, thanks A LOT for having carefully tested this !

Guest Keramidas

Hi everyone,

I have published a new version (2.7.2) on the Market. It should be able to download and install its own busybox now, without needing a prior busybox. => sunstorm please check it ! :D

Another new feature: the System app uninstaller ! No need to fiddle with the shell to do this anymore :D

NOTE: For maximum security on your phones, I have put a blacklist in the system app uninstaller. Any system app that is blacklisted, cannot be removed. Currently the blacklist contains only "WaveSecure". That should prevent malevolent people from removing WaveSecure so easily. Please share your feelings about this ! And of course if you know other critical system apps that I should blacklist, please share !

Thanks !

Edited by Keramidas