Software that can backup/restore all settings of any apps !

Guest Keramidas

Guest sunstorm
Hi everyone,

I have published a new version (2.7.2) on the Market. It should be able to download and install its own busybox now, without needing a prior busybox. => sunstorm please check it ! :D

Another new feature: the System app uninstaller ! No need to fiddle with the shell to do this anymore :D

NOTE: For maximum security on your phones, I have put a blacklist in the system app uninstaller. Any system app that is blacklisted, cannot be removed. Currently the blacklist contains only "WaveSecure". That should prevent malevolent people from removing WaveSecure so easily. Please share your feelings about this ! And of course if you know other critical system apps that I should blacklist, please share !

Thanks !

Hi everybody,

the feature to install busybox from version 2.7.2 verified!

Great work Joel.

Steps taken:

1. wiped and flashed clean rooted stock rom

2. installed 2.7.2 from market

3. clicked problems? and busybox installed itself

4. restart app

I got all my settings and apps restored!

the app just got alot easier for frequent rom flashers.

Just another thought: Allow user the rights to modify their own blacklist. Protection in the form of password perhaps? that way, you allow users to own their product/needs and prevent hassling of what apps to include/exclude.

cheers

Lawrence

Edited by sunstorm

Guest Keramidas

Hi sunstorm,

I'm glad it works perfectly on rooted stock ROMs now - thanks for the great news !

Yes I have thought of allowing "blacklist modification" through password protection, but I think it's not very useful (yet) because there is only WaveSecure in the list for now... But I will surely consider that !

Guest Keramidas
i donated and still have regular version. How long do i have to wait?

Hi,

Very sorry for the unintended delay !

Here's a hint: when you sent your donation it was night time in Europe :(

I do as fast as I physically can - it is not an automated process.

You should have received your license about an hour ago.

Thanks again !

Guest Christian Rogne

I have searched for an app to take complete backup of my Hero. I am using villain rom 3.0 beta 4.

The TB seems to backup all apps, and sms, but I am missing my widgets on the Home screen, I also miss my corporate/emai accounts.

I do a "backup all user apps + system data" and after a wipe, I try a "Restore missing app + all system data". Sometimes I got an error says that I can't get root access, sometimes I do not get any error, but my custom widget and my accounts info for corporate email are gone.

The Morelocal2 won't install either.....

Edited by Christian Rogne

Guest Uberadri

I have discovered a bug: When I try to restore some apps I get a pop up dialog with the heading "Question" and the text "What would you like to restore?". But there is no buttons!

This happens with very few apps, the most recent is "Acer Social Networking" that is an app that comes with my phone (Acer Liquid) and integrates with the contact list. I uninstalled it with TB (and wanted to install it again).

Guest Keramidas
I have discovered a bug: When I try to restore some apps I get a pop up dialog with the heading "Question" and the text "What would you like to restore?". But there is no buttons!

This happens with very few apps, the most recent is "Acer Social Networking" that is an app that comes with my phone (Acer Liquid) and integrates with the contact list. I uninstalled it with TB (and wanted to install it again).

This is interesting... Looks like a case I didn't think of.

To confirm my thoughts, I will just ask you this: Is "Acer Social Networking" a system app ?

Unfortunately, systems apps themselves are never backed up, only their data is. So there is basically no valid choice that you can do in the "restore" dialog - because you can't restore data for an app that is not installed. And you can't restore the apk because it's not contained in the backup. There is nothing you can do right now - which would perfectly explain why there is no button.

Thanks !

Edited by Keramidas

Guest Uberadri

Yes, it's a system app. I didn't know TB didn't back up system apps apks. I see now that it has a check-mark/data only icon.

Edit: Maybe TB should notify the user that there is no backup of the app itself before uninstalling a system app and/or give the user an option to backup the app before uninstalling.

Edited by Uberadri

Guest Keramidas
Yes, it's a system app. I didn't know TB didn't back up system apps apks. I see now that it has a check-mark/data only icon.

Yes exactly, the icon is never a smiley for system apps, because only the data is saved. So in your case you get no buttons because the data cannot be restored alone...

I will probably improve this in the future, but at least the current behaviour is logical :(

Guest Keramidas
Is it possible to make Titanium work with new app2sd concept by Chrys Soyars ?

It's enabled in KaguDroid 1.3 which I use at the moment.

This is an interesting concept indeed - although (in my opinion) it's not that useful to allow apk's in phone memory - ie: you could just use the sd card for all apps, it's simpler (unless you remove the sd card all the time).

Currently, with your special ROM, does Titanium Backup work or not ? As far as I can guess, it *should* work for backups and also work for restores, although it would always install apps in the default location. Is that what you're seeing in practice ?

Thanks

No, Titanium restore didn't work. When I click "restore" the option window appears and after choosing a location nothing happens.

For this reason I reverted back to another rom.

Guest Keramidas
No, Titanium restore didn't work. When I click "restore" the option window appears and after choosing a location nothing happens.

For this reason I reverted back to another rom.

Yes, I suspect the package manager does not always behave in a "sane" way in that ROM: it's supposed to display nothing at all - and continue unattended. They probably need to add some parameter that I can use to tell it whether the app must be installed on the sd card or not. But anyways... we should probably let them iron things out a bit - and then, if the ROM becomes a bit more widespread (and if their modified package manager becomes a must :( ), I can always make the necessary adaptations in order for that to work.

Thanks !

Guest Keramidas
When I hit restore on N1 I'm asked to confirm restore but there is no way to confirm because there is no botton for this or something like that.

Hi,

- does it happen for every app you have tried ?

- does it happen in single-app mode or in batch mode ?

Thanks !

Guest Paraglider

It happens at single-app (Backup/Restore) but only if I choose system apps.

I just tested it.

Wanted to restore Google Voice and it didn't work but with e.g. White Noise it works as it should.

Guest Keramidas
It happens at single-app (Backup/Restore) but only if I choose system apps.

I just tested it.

Wanted to restore Google Voice and it didn't work but with e.g. White Noise it works as it should.

Ok, I know what you mean. It is not really a bug, just a special case that is not handled perfectly.

Here's the deal: system apps are *not* backed up, only their data is. So when you try restoring Google Voice, Titanium Backup sees that it can only restore the app's data. But the app's data cannot be restored, because the app itself is not installed. So there is no valid choice you can possibly have, and thus the "no buttons" problem that you see.

I'm a bit sorry because I haven't made clear enough that the system apps (those integrated in the ROM) are (currently) not backed up.

Thanks

Guest Keramidas
Ah alright I didn't know this, but it get's clearly for me after your explanation :(

You're welcome !

Please try the new 2.7.5 version which includes Wi-Fi access point backup :(

This version should also solve your "no button" problem. Now, for Google Voice you should simply see that the "Restore" button is grayed out.

Thanks...

Guest Keramidas
Yes it fixed the problem :(

WiFi access point backup is included at system data backup, right?

Perfect ! :(

Yes absolutely: the WiFi access point list is a system item. And by the way, I also added a "Country + language + time zone" system item.

Thanks !

Guest sokaralx

Hi

I haven't read through all the posts, though almost all :( and I have one question. At least in the free version I'm prompted for every App when I do a restore. Is there a "real" batch restore in the donate version or are there any technical reasons that do not function?

Thanks for a short answer.

Greetz alx

Guest Keramidas
Hi

I haven't read through all the posts, though almost all :( and I have one question. At least in the free version I'm prompted for every App when I do a restore. Is there a "real" batch restore in the donate version or are there any technical reasons that do not function?

Thanks for a short answer.

Greetz alx

Hi sokaralx,

Yes, in the Donate version you don't get any prompt and can even restore in the background - although the phone is slow while the restore is running :(