Software that can backup/restore all settings of any apps !

Guest Keramidas

Guest Stevi

Hi Keramidas,

maybe a stupid question but how do I save settings in the "edit schedule" tab? I don't see a "save" button or something like that.

Thx in advance.

Guest Keramidas
Hi Keramidas,

maybe a stupid question but how do I save settings in the "edit schedule" tab? I don't see a "save" button or something like that.

Thx in advance.

Hi Stevi,

You mean when you check or uncheck a schedule ? The scheduler is notified of the change, and it applies immediately :)

Guest Stevi
You mean when you check or uncheck a schedule ? The scheduler is notified of the change, and it applies immediately :)

No, I mean when I click the "edit" button and for example change from "new app version" to "new apps + new versions" and check Monday instead of Fridays and Tuesdays. I don't know how to save these new settings. When I hit "back" it's still "new app version" and Tuesdays/Fridays.

Guest Keramidas
No, I mean when I click the "edit" button and for example change from "new app version" to "new apps + new versions" and check Monday instead of Fridays and Tuesdays. I don't know how to save these new settings. When I hit "back" it's still "new app version" and Tuesdays/Fridays.

Ok sorry, I understand now.

There are "Save", "Cancel", "Delete" buttons but the window is too big for Android 1.5/1.6 medium-res devices. I will fix it soon !

Thanks again

Guest Uberadri

Backup scheduler, w00t! :)

Have a small suggestion: I think you should rename the "Backup/Restore"-tab to just "Apps", you can't see more than "Backup/Rest..." anyway (alternatively just "Backup" or something else smart and short).

And what do the last option in preferences do? The text is cut off, and I don't understand exactly what it does:

"Min age (days) for refres...

In batch mode, backups older than this number of days will be included for..."

Also, app icons on backups would still be awesome ... ;)

Guest Keramidas
Backup scheduler, w00t! :)

Have a small suggestion: I think you should rename the "Backup/Restore"-tab to just "Apps", you can't see more than "Backup/Rest..." anyway (alternatively just "Backup" or something else smart and short).

And what do the last option in preferences do? The text is cut off, and I don't understand exactly what it does:

"Min age (days) for refres...

In batch mode, backups older than this number of days will be included for..."

Also, app icons on backups would still be awesome ... :D

Hi,

Yes, I will consider shortening the text. And app icons on uninstalled backups are already in the wish list, too ;)

The "Min days for refresh" setting affects the batch action which is named "Redo your old (> N days) backups". The setting sets the value of "N".

Thanks !

Guest modacorule

I see that the SchedulerService is running all the time, even when there's no scheduled backup.

I have another app, FoxyRing, which runs every 6-minute to do an analysis in order to adjust the volume. Its service only runs at the 6-minute mark and is killed afterwards. So I think there's a built-in scheduler (like this? http://developer.android.com/reference/java/util/Timer.html) inside Android and you don't have to write your own and have it running all the time?

THX!

Guest Keramidas
I see that the SchedulerService is running all the time, even when there's no scheduled backup.

I have another app, FoxyRing, which runs every 6-minute to do an analysis in order to adjust the volume. Its service only runs at the 6-minute mark and is killed afterwards. So I think there's a built-in scheduler (like this? http://developer.android.com/reference/java/util/Timer.html) inside Android and you don't have to write your own and have it running all the time?

THX!

Hi,

The service is totally idle but yes, I will look at stopping it explicitly, so that it gets re-launched automatically when (and if) the Timer event happens. It should free up a bit of RAM.

Thanks for the suggestion :)

Guest modacorule
Hi,

The service is totally idle but yes, I will look at stopping it explicitly, so that it gets re-launched automatically when (and if) the Timer event happens. It should free up a bit of RAM.

Thanks for the suggestion :)

THANKS!!!!!! BTW, is there a page for more comprehensive explanation of the various backup options...?

Guest Keramidas
THANKS!!!!!! BTW, is there a page for more comprehensive explanation of the various backup options...?

Not yet... but I will try and add more info on my homepage - or in the app itself

In the meantime, if you have a question about one if the batch actions, you're welcome to ask :-)

Guest modacorule
Not yet... but I will try and add more info on my homepage - or in the app itself

In the meantime, if you have a question about one if the batch actions, you're welcome to ask :-)

Take your time. Besides, I would venture to suggest a new feature - Pop-up an alert for the user prior a scheduled backup is run, and make available in the pop-up options for 1) delay the backup for <x>-minute or 2) skip it.

Normally, scheduled backups are run at night which should be sleeping time for most, but just in case someone wake up early (or sleep late), it would be kinda suck if my app is killed during use.

Cheers.

Guest MaToNeo

Hi All,

I am using Titanium Backup with MoDaCo 1.7 Custom ROM on my T-Mobile Pulse and I cant restote my backuped up contacts. Titanium shows they had been restored successfully, however Contacts are still empty.

If I look to CONTACTS on Explore tab I can see database contacts.db has 200 KB (table people has 216 rows) but in database contacts.db-mj6A8962EF - [TABLE] SQL error near line 1: file is encryp(ted???).

What is wrong?

Thanks

Guest Keramidas
Hi All,

I am using Titanium Backup with MoDaCo 1.7 Custom ROM on my T-Mobile Pulse and I cant restote my backuped up contacts. Titanium shows they had been restored successfully, however Contacts are still empty.

If I look to CONTACTS on Explore tab I can see database contacts.db has 200 KB (table people has 216 rows) but in database contacts.db-mj6A8962EF - [TABLE] SQL error near line 1: file is encryp(ted???).

What is wrong?

Thanks

Hi MaToNeo,

Did you backup and restore on the same ROM? If that's the case, it should definitely work. Also, did you verify your backup with the batch verifier?

Thanks

Guest MaToNeo
Hi MaToNeo,

Did you backup and restore on the same ROM? If that's the case, it should definitely work. Also, did you verify your backup with the batch verifier?

Thanks

Sure, I did. I am trying to backup contacts, then delete all and restore immediatelly. Instead of Titanium (and first after flashing ROM) I am using Wavesecure to restore contacts from remote server.

I have not donate version yet thus verifier is not available :rolleyes:

Guest b1ind

I think that a strong feature would be to integrate with Dropbox's newly released API.

If a user had Dropbox installed, TB could allow automatic upload of backups and could allow restores directly from Dropbox.

Guest Keramidas
I think that a strong feature would be to integrate with Dropbox's newly released API.

If a user had Dropbox installed, TB could allow automatic upload of backups and could allow restores directly from Dropbox.

Hi,

I think it's indeed a good idea. Noted in the wishlist!

Guest Upquark

First of all, thanks for this gem! Being new to Android devices, I'm glad a tool like this was already around. Not having done any ROM flashes yet, I haven't really used its full potential though.

Now for my question: does TitaniumBackup also back up the contact pictures? I tried to find out for myself and did a backup of Contacts Storage 2.1-update1. Then, I added a picture to one of my contacts that previously had no picture. Ran the backup again, and compared file sizes. OK, there's an increase in size, so looks good!

Then I un-tar.gz'd the backup and tried looking for the pics, just to be sure. There it was where my confusion began. The database itself (having looked into it with sqlitebrowser) doesn't seem to contain any pictures, and the 'files' folder only contains 72x72 JPG thumbnails.

Am I overlooking something? :(

Guest JMonkeYJ

i found something else that doesn't appear to be backed up: Sync Accounts. usually by the time i go to load up a new ROM i have a ton of accounts syncing to my phone (eg Google, facebook, youtube, twitter, etc. etc.). all those don't get restored using Ti.

is there any chance of backing up Sync Accounts?

thanks!

Guest Keramidas
i found something else that doesn't appear to be backed up: Sync Accounts. usually by the time i go to load up a new ROM i have a ton of accounts syncing to my phone (eg Google, facebook, youtube, twitter, etc. etc.). all those don't get restored using Ti.

is there any chance of backing up Sync Accounts?

thanks!

Hi,

Did you try backing up / restoring the recently added [ACCOUNTS] item ?

Thanks

Guest Keramidas
First of all, thanks for this gem! Being new to Android devices, I'm glad a tool like this was already around. Not having done any ROM flashes yet, I haven't really used its full potential though.

Now for my question: does TitaniumBackup also back up the contact pictures? I tried to find out for myself and did a backup of Contacts Storage 2.1-update1. Then, I added a picture to one of my contacts that previously had no picture. Ran the backup again, and compared file sizes. OK, there's an increase in size, so looks good!

Then I un-tar.gz'd the backup and tried looking for the pics, just to be sure. There it was where my confusion began. The database itself (having looked into it with sqlitebrowser) doesn't seem to contain any pictures, and the 'files' folder only contains 72x72 JPG thumbnails.

Am I overlooking something? :(

Hi,

Sorry for the delay... This is noted, and indeed I will need to look at this. It's true that most of the time people don't need to backup the contacts because they're synced on Google, but indeed it needs to work if you can't rely on the Google servers, too.

I will look try to find where the "big" contact pictures are stored.

Thanks

Guest Han-Droid

I am sure this app is one of the "better" backup-solutions.

BUT ( *g* ):

In my opinion the User-Interface isn't "dummy-proof"....and YES, I like dummy-proof backup-software.

I'd wish there was a button like "Backup whole appearance" or something like that, meaning that the phone will be backed up "as it is" in the eye of the beholder: screens, system-settings, order of icons (screens), contacts (plus icons, ringtones, facebook-information)...etc.

All the other options (batch-scripts) are quite confusing... leaving the user with some uncertainty about what to do "is this the right choice?" "do I miss something with THIS backup-selection?" etc.

It may be that Titanium is ALREADY capable of doing the job mentioned above....BUT I cannot find it :-)

Guest Keramidas

Yes, I'm thinking about adding a startup screen with a couple easy buttons that would cover the most common tasks. Some more documentation may help too, but improving the GUI would probably be the best way :(

As of today, the safest way to be sure is to backup everything (or rather: all user apps + all "green-colored" system items). But it's true that it could be a bit simpler.

Thanks for all your feedback !

Guest tonemgub

If I want to schedule a backup of my complete system periodically, which options should I use...?

- Force redo of your backups?

- Backup all users apps + system data?

Thanks in advance.

Guest Keramidas
If I want to schedule a backup of my complete system periodically, which options should I use...?

- Force redo of your backups?

- Backup all users apps + system data?

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

To backup everything periodically, you need to use the 2nd one.

The 1st one would only do the backups that you have already made before.