Software that can backup/restore all settings of any apps !

Guest Keramidas

Guest drigerott

ihihhihihi thanks for your reply :)

Hi drigerott,

Unfortunately (for us) the Android security model forbids it totally. Just think about an app that would be able to install other apps, without any warning to the user about the newly installed app's access rights ! The installed app could have internet access, GPS access, phone call rights, etc, without the user even being asked about it :)

Of course in our case, we are a bit more lucky because we have root rights, so I'll see what I can do :)

Guest mkolonko
Hi mkolonko,

I think that particular backup might be broken. Older versions of Titanium Backup did not check for LZO compression in Busybox, and thus could create zero-byte backups if you had a busybox version without LZO.

Please have a look at your TitaniumBackup folder on your sd card, and get rid of any zero-byte files (and any same-named "properties" files).

If the problem happens again, especially with a new app that you have never backed up before, please report again :-)

hi,

i don't think this would apply, because my previouse rom was mcr 3.1. and the titanium backup was the one on the market 3 days ago...

also, in the TitaniumBackup folder, there are no files with 0 byte.

when trying to explore, it says: [not installed] no data

but the icon is smile with M

just a thought: on mcr i had apps2sd, on this rom i don't. maybe it gets confused now?

Edited by mkolonko

Guest Keramidas
hi,

i don't think this would apply, because my previouse rom was mcr 3.1. and the titanium backup was the one on the market 3 days ago...

also, in the TitaniumBackup folder, there are no files with 0 byte.

when trying to explore, it says: [not installed] no data

but the icon is smile with M

just a thought: on mcr i had apps2sd, on this rom i don't. maybe it gets confused now?

About the explorer: It gives a view of the phone's app data, not of the backup data. So this behaviour is normal if your app is not installed, except for the empty(?) app name. Normally it should say: "[not installed] AppName" and below that: "no data".

About your restore problem: Have you tried backing up a new app, then restoring it ? Does it work for you or not ?

Thanks

Edited by Keramidas

Guest mkolonko
About the explorer: It gives a view of the phone's app data, not of the backup data. So this behaviour is normal if your app is not installed, except for the empty(?) app name. Normally it should say: "[not installed] AppName" and below that: "no data".

About your restore problem: Have you tried backing up a new app, then restoring it ? Does it work for you or not ?

Thanks

sorry, this was a typo. it does write the name of the app after [not installed]

to your question: yes, no problems with backing up and restoring a new app.

Guest Keramidas

Hi all,

I just published a new version 2.3.2 with a killer feature: It can restore (ie: install) your apps in the background ! Without any security confirmation ! :)

As this feature requires HyperShell, it is currently for donating users only. Please check it out !!

Guest quierotacobell
Hi all,

I just published a new version 2.3.2 with a killer feature: It can restore (ie: install) your apps in the background ! Without any security confirmation ! :)

As this feature requires HyperShell, it is currently for donating users only. Please check it out !!

Nvm, sorry, it works now.

Edited by quierotacobell

Yes, I've thought about it too, but I haven't found where the user dictionary is actually located.

It's supposed to be in "/data/data/com.android.providers.userdictionary" but there is only an empty database there.

Maybe I have to look again :)

It's in /data/data/com.htc.android.htcime/udb on the Hero.

I was looking for it to try and edit it.

Guest townsejl

Guys,

Apologies up front if this is a total 'noobie' question, but I am moving over from a Pulse to a Hero (both rooted with Modaco roms installed) and was wondering if Titanium will work across phones, or is it the case that when you install an app from the market, it installs a phone-specific version. Ideally I'd like to do a full backup of all installed apps+their respective data (from the Pulse) and then a restore to the Hero.

Many thanks for any advice you can offer.

Jamie.

Guest Keramidas
Guys,

Apologies up front if this is a total 'noobie' question, but I am moving over from a Pulse to a Hero (both rooted with Modaco roms installed) and was wondering if Titanium will work across phones, or is it the case that when you install an app from the market, it installs a phone-specific version. Ideally I'd like to do a full backup of all installed apps+their respective data (from the Pulse) and then a restore to the Hero.

Many thanks for any advice you can offer.

Jamie.

Hi townsejl,

Yes, you can backup all your user apps + their data, and the restore should work across phones. To be 100% sure, just restore on your new phone before erasing your old one :) Oh, and please tell us if the "Market link" restore works across phones or not !

Please be more careful with system stuff (red or green in TB) because it may well have changed between phones. A good example is the SMS/MMS database which has a different number of columns between the Hero's original ROM and the later HTC (including MoDaCo) ROMs. Titanium Backup backups/restores the whole database in one shot, while traditional apps (like MyBackup Pro) use the messaging API to copy individual rows (eg: each SMS/MMS) separately. So (unless your databases are identical across phones) I would recommend to backup SMS/MMS and system settings using a trial version of MyBackup Pro.

In the future I will probably add a special backup mode for SMS/MMS, which will still be (of course) 10 times faster than traditional backup apps :) but will also be cross-phone compatible.

Edited by Keramidas

Guest Keramidas
It's in /data/data/com.htc.android.htcime/udb on the Hero.

I was looking for it to try and edit it.

Cool, thanks !

This will be labeled as [uSER DICT] in next versions.

Guest Keramidas
I've just noticed that the "Refresh your old(>N days) backups" tries, and fails, to backup backups that have not been installed.

(I have a couple of apps that I've not bothered restoring, I don't want to delete them, but don't need them at the moment)

This will be fixed in version 2.3.3 beta.

Guest Keramidas

Just published version 2.3.4 (beta) on the Market, which now features a compression choice (None/LZO/GZIP/BZIP2) :)

For future features, please check out the Poll if you can ! Thanks :)

Guest polonius
Nice concept. I haven't fully tested it yet, but a couple of things that would improve the UI:

Sort apps by name/date installed/date used

What about sorting by name/colour?

A search function would come in handy as well, especially if you have many apps installed.  :)

Guest Keramidas
What about sorting by name/colour?

A search function would come in handy as well, especially if you have many apps installed. :)

Hi polonius,

Thanks for the suggestions ...

Sorting by name is already done :)

Sorting by color is planned (ie: will be added soon). And yes, a search function would indeed be nice, but there are *many* things to do before that...

Have fun !

Guest Keramidas
Does Titanium automatically restore a link to the market for itself first time it's run? This would be useful for MCR...

P

Hi Paul,

No it doesn't do it, but it's a good idea ! I'll see if it's doable - that would require creating a Market entry from scratch, which I have never done before...

Hi

I have installed 3.1.1 from the kitchen without any changes to what is suggested from Pauls choices. After that installed like 10 free apps and 4 payed apps from the market.

Now I have used Pauls owen to bake a new rom without 8 of the possible apps.

I will install the newest Titanium Backup from the market and donate to get the full one.

Is the right procedure to take a full backup, wipe and factory reset, wipe dalvik-cashe, applay/flash the warm "romcake", reboot and reinstall from Titanium Backup? This, to have the apps from Market back and gain some free memory.

Thanks

/Rune, who built the "Motorola D2 kit" with 1024 byte memory and hex coding about 35 years ago. :)

Guest Keramidas

Hi runeo,

Well yes, sounds fine to me although I'd also do a full nandroid backup (in recovery mode) as the very first step, just in case. And don't worry about the apps you have bought: they are tied to your Google account so even if you didn't use my Titanium Backup app, you could reinstall them for free :)

By the way, I know that you want to clean up everything, but in case you wanted to clear the dalvik-cache only, you could do it anytime without losing anything. Just be sure to do it in recovery mode, ie: not while the system is running :)

Have fun !

Guest Keramidas
I didn't find how can I backup/restore SMS/MMS with Titanium... I believed that it was in [sMS/MMS/APN] Dialer Storage but i'm not sure...

Hi gibou13,

Yes, it's in there. If you backup it, you will have a backup for the package name "com.android.providers.telephony" in your TitaniumBackup directory on the sd card. That backup contains your "mmssms.db" file, which is a database containing your SMS and MMS messages.

Guest gibou13
Hi gibou13,

Yes, it's in there. If you backup it, you will have a backup for the package name "com.android.providers.telephony" in your TitaniumBackup directory on the sd card. That backup contains your "mmssms.db" file, which is a database containing your SMS and MMS messages.

Hi Keramidas

Thanks a lot for this information :)

Guest gibou13

I have another question : is it correct that essential data to Backup is in "Interesting system service" in green (Bookmark, Call history, Desktop preference etc.)?

It's possible to filter only this information ?