Software that can backup/restore all settings of any apps !

Guest Keramidas

Guest Keramidas
A settings backup that backups my Homescreensettings and Wallpaper and such stuff. And a backup for my SMS and MMS and Calls too.

Hi,

Is that a feature request ? All of this is already possible in the current version ;)

These things are green-colored in the list. The SMS/MMS/Calls are labeled as such, and the home screen settings should be shown as either "Home" (for HTC ROMs) or "Launcher" (for Google ROMs). I agree it's not 100% user-friendly (yet) though !

I am running on Fresh 1.1 and not seeing any apps listed (0). Any ideas?

Ceger

I see the same thing. 0 apps listed.

I am running a behold 2 with galaxy android 1.5 stock roms. (PS. the phone is nice to use with these roms, the stock roms with touchwiz where a joke)

More info here.

http://androidforums.com/samsung-behold-2/...ld-2-flies.html

I have version 2.5.4 of titanium backup

It reports

Root Access => OK (busy box 1.15.1 from system)

When it loads it reports number of app elements found 0

I hit the problems? button and it tries to bring down busybox but when I hit yes do it, it just closes and when I look in the status bar I see it reporting Failed - sorry!

Any ideas?

Hi Ceger and Ron_E,

See the new "Troubleshooting" section on the Titanium Backup web page.

Please follow the procedure there, and report here to confirm if it works ;)

I am new to this so there is probably an easy answer but

mv does not work. Gives me a cross device error

I tried cp instead and it gave me a permission error

I have not bee able to get adb working again since installing the alternate rom.

I did start with SU in connectbot and it changed the $ to #.

Guest Keramidas
I am new to this so there is probably an easy answer but

mv does not work. Gives me a cross device error

I tried cp instead and it gave me a permission error

I have not bee able to get adb working again since installing the alternate rom.

I did start with SU in connectbot and it changed the $ to #.

Hi,

Please try "busybox mv" instead of "mv" and if necessary, "busybox chmod" instead of "chmod".

It should work. Please also let me know if the plain "chmod" command worked for you, and then I will update my mini-guide.

Thanks !

Hi,

Please try "busybox mv" instead of "mv" and if necessary, "busybox chmod" instead of "chmod".

It should work. Please also let me know if the plain "chmod" command worked for you, and then I will update my mini-guide.

Thanks !

busybox mv gives me a "Permission denied" also

I tried just mv again and it gave me "Cross-device link"

busybox cp also gives me a permission denied

The cd command works fine.

When I do an ls all I see is sqlite3

Guest Keramidas
busybox mv gives me a "Permission denied" also

I tried just mv again and it gave me "Cross-device link"

busybox cp also gives me a permission denied

The cd command works fine.

When I do an ls all I see is sqlite3

Strange, this would mean that you are not really root.

Try the "whoami" command, it should say "unknown uid 0".

Strange, this would mean that you are not really root.

Try the "whoami" command, it should say "unknown uid 0".

I get

whoami: unkown uid 10078

When I type su the prompt does change from $ to # and I do not get an error.

Edited by Ron_E

Guest Keramidas
I get

whoami: unkown uid 10078

When I type su the prompt does change from $ to # and I do not get an error.

If you do "su" and then "whoami", do you have uid 0 ?

Edit: Instead of the "mv" command, could you try: cat /sdcard/busybox > busybox (and tell me if that works. Thanks !)

Edited by Keramidas

If you do "su" and then "whoami", do you have uid 0 ?

Edit: Instead of the "mv" command, could you try: cat /sdcard/busybox > busybox (and tell me if that works. Thanks !)

the whoami results where after the su command.

The cat command worked.

The chmod 755 busybox worked

When I start up titanium backup it now tells me root ok and busybox version is 1.15.3

My app list is still empty.

Even powered off the the phone and powered it back on.

Thanks for your efforts. I am sorry but I will not have time to look at this again for a couple of days.

Guest Keramidas

Thanks Ron_E ! I have updated the guide to use "cat" instead of "mv" ;)

That's strange: everything should definitely work fine now with busybox 1.15.3. Sure, we can have a second look at it when you come back !

PS: Ceger PM'd me and said he eliminated the problem by switching to MoDaCo 2.2 :D

Hello

I am using rooted Acer Liquid with latest ROM, busybox.

I wanted to try Titanium when flashing new ROM. So far my experience. I of course assume that I might be doing something wrong. and would appreciate any advise.

Backed up and successfully restored:

1. KUMPA labyrinth-lik game Restored the app, data restored only after i tried 3 times.

2. Handcent SMS restored with all settings.

Did not restore:

1. SMS/MMS application (probably has no permissions to overwrite stock apps) but, sms, mms, emails also did not restore.

2. Did not restore Browser bookmarks

3. Did not restore dialer log, sms, mms, call-history

4. The worst is that it did not backup APNs - the most wanted feature

5. other applications restore fine, but not the data....

I am wondering maybe I am doing something wrong?

Guest Keramidas

Hi Umka,

Sorry to hear that it doesn't work for you. Everything you mention should indeed work perfectly (and for almost all other users it does).

Did you try the "Problems?" button to upgrade your busybox ? This is a critical point and is *probably* the culprit !

If that still doesn't work you could always send me one of your backups (such as KUMPA) so that I can try restoring it. It should be 3 files in the "TitaniumBackup" directory on your SD card: a ".tar.gz" file, a ".apk.gz" file and a ".properties" file. Note that depending on your compression setting it could be "bzip2" or "lzop" instead of "gzip" too.

Thanks again ;)

Thanks Ron_E ! I have updated the guide to use "cat" instead of "mv" ;)

That's strange: everything should definitely work fine now with busybox 1.15.3. Sure, we can have a second look at it when you come back !

PS: Ceger PM'd me and said he eliminated the problem by switching to MoDaCo 2.2 :D

I am back. I just checked again and still the same situation.

I wish I could update to another rom and upgrade from 1.5 but I am not aware of any options for my Behold 2. Over all it is nice phone but it appears to not be very updateable for serveral different reasons.

Guest Keramidas
I am back. I just checked again and still the same situation.

I wish I could update to another rom and upgrade from 1.5 but I am not aware of any options for my Behold 2. Over all it is nice phone but it appears to not be very updateable for serveral different reasons.

Hi again Ron_E,

I'm sorry that it still won't work for you.

Two important points:

- Does it really say "busybox 1.15.3 from app" (ie: not from system ?

- Did you enable the "USB debugging" checkbox in your Phone settings (in "Applications") ?

And one more thing - just in to be sure - did you really authorize Titanium Backup in the superuser whitelist app when it first asked ?

Edited by Keramidas

Hi again Ron_E,

I'm sorry that it still won't work for you.

Two important points:

- Does it really say "busybox 1.15.3 from app" (ie: not from system ?

- Did you enable the "USB debugging" checkbox in your Phone settings (in "Applications") ?

And one more thing - just in to be sure - did you really authorize Titanium Backup in the superuser whitelist app when it first asked ?

I do have usb debugging enabled.

I do not remeber being asked to authorize it. How do I check that?

The exact line from Titanium (version 2.5.4) is:

"Root access => OK (BusyBox 1.15.3 from app)"

The other interesting thing I noticed is that app will not load without a sim card. I had the sim card out for something else and tried to start the app. It just hung on loading. It also appears to do the same thing if there is no cell signal.

Guest polonius

D'oh, you are right. Should definitely learn the ABC this year!  ;)

Well, now I know what was confusing me about the order:

Starting Titanium Backup for the very first time after a restart, the order looks arbitrary. Exiting by the back-button and restarting Titanium Backup will reload the app data elements and show the apps in alphabetical order from that on. The app list will not be reordered, if I exit via the home-Button (probably Titanium Backup is not restarting, correct?).

I am using MCR 3.1 and Titanium Backup 2.5.4 on my Hero.

It is not that big deal, just about user-friendliness.

About donating:

Do you spend your paypal money in USD? Otherwise, you could offer an account in SFR, so that our money from the EUR-area (or UK, or...) will not be charged twice (for us converting into USD and for you converting into SFR). Ebay (paypal) is making enough money... :(

Guest Keramidas
I do have usb debugging enabled.

I do not remeber being asked to authorize it. How do I check that?

The exact line from Titanium (version 2.5.4) is:

"Root access => OK (BusyBox 1.15.3 from app)"

The other interesting thing I noticed is that app will not load without a sim card. I had the sim card out for something else and tried to start the app. It just hung on loading. It also appears to do the same thing if there is no cell signal.

From the Titanium Backup standpoint, everything should be fine. Maybe you have a problem with the superuser white list app.

Maybe try deleting the file: /data/data/org.zenthought.android.su/databases/permissions.sqlite (I haven't tried this but it should reset the superuser permissions database).

I don't do anything related to gsm so I'm surprised if it doesn't start. At least it works in flight mode for me...

From the Titanium Backup standpoint, everything should be fine. Maybe you have a problem with the superuser white list app.

Maybe try deleting the file: /data/data/org.zenthought.android.su/databases/permissions.sqlite (I haven't tried this but it should reset the superuser permissions database).

I don't do anything related to gsm so I'm surprised if it doesn't start. At least it works in flight mode for me...

org.zenthought.android.su does not exit under /data/data on my phone.

Guest Keramidas
D'oh, you are right. Should definitely learn the ABC this year!  ;)

Well, now I know what was confusing me about the order:

Starting Titanium Backup for the very first time after a restart, the order looks arbitrary. Exiting by the back-button and restarting Titanium Backup will reload the app data elements and show the apps in alphabetical order from that on. The app list will not be reordered, if I exit via the home-Button (probably Titanium Backup is not restarting, correct?).

I am using MCR 3.1 and Titanium Backup 2.5.4 on my Hero.

It is not that big deal, just about user-friendliness.

About donating:

Do you spend your paypal money in USD? Otherwise, you could offer an account in SFR, so that our money from the EUR-area (or UK, or...) will not be charged twice (for us converting into USD and for you converting into SFR). Ebay (paypal) is making enough money... :D

Hi polonius,

Yes you are right: Titanium Backup keeps an "ordering cache" of all apps in the list. On the first run, that cache is empty and thus the applications are displayed in any order. You need to let it load the full details+icon for all apps, and then it will store the cache (at thatt moment the notification is displayed). Then you indeed have to use the "back" button (not "home") to stop the app (otherwise it won't be restarted when selected again).

I know it can be a slight inconvenience to have a non-sorted list on 1st run, but on the other hand I can't really alter the listing order while the apps are loading - that would be almost unusable for the user. What I *could* do, though, is simply reorder the list once, when all app details are loaded, so that a restart of my app is not needed anymore. You are right - and I will probably do that :D

About donating:

- Do you mean that I should add a Donate button with the amounts in CHF and also EUR ? Several persons already donated in Euros and that works well :D

- If you wish to avoid currency conversion on my side then yes absolutely: the CHF currency is the ideal one. You can then donate something >= CHF 4.- :(

Thanks !

Guest Keramidas
org.zenthought.android.su does not exit under /data/data on my phone.

This means you don't have the "superuser whitelist" app. You need it for proper operation with root priviledges - otherwise your phone is not (strictly saying) properly rooted...

http://www.androlib.com/android.applicatio...oid-su-qxA.aspx

That thing is really the standard - it is included in all pre-rooted ROMs that I know of. You should definitely try installing its apk in /system/app/ !

Edited by Keramidas

Guest Keramidas

Dear fellow users ;)

I have published a new version 2.6.0 on the Market, which features batch verification of backups and a few minor bugfixes (including proper list sorting on 1st run).

The verifier is a (very) good read-only simulation of a restore, and should catch any corrupted backup files. It will also catch any backups that may use compression methods not supported by the current ROM. The verification results will appear in a table-based Journal view (will see additional improvements very soon !).

For now the backup verifier is available for donators only - this is because these verifications are hard to do (and harder to make 100% reliable) without HyperShell.

Feedback on the verifier is very welcome !

Guest scollie
Dear fellow users ;)

I have published a new version 2.6.0 on the Market, which features batch verification of backups and a few minor bugfixes (including proper list sorting on 1st run).

The verifier is a (very) good read-only simulation of a restore, and should catch any corrupted backup files. It will also catch any backups that may use compression methods not supported by the current ROM. The verification results will appear in a table-based Journal view (will see additional improvements very soon !).

For now the backup verifier is available for donators only - this is because these verifications are hard to do (and harder to make 100% reliable) without HyperShell.

Feedback on the verifier is very welcome !

Hi Keramidas

Tried the verifier and got 34 errors but no reason as to why they are in error apart from the message 'Error with APP backup' and the date and time of the backup.

(Actually 17 errors because it verified 2 backups of each app which had been backed up on different dates and failed them both).

Anyway some background:

I have a Samsung Galaxy running GalaxoRom 1.1 using 1.5

I backed up all user apps + system data (running apps will be auto-ended) - 100 apps

None of the apps were running at the time of the backup except TasKiller and NetCounter.

Backup seemed successful but verification showed 34 errors as mentioned above.

Here is a list of the apps in error

The list of failed backups are

APN Backup & Restore 1.3

AppManager 0.5

Barcode Scanner 3.1

Car Finder 1.5

Compass 1.0.12

Documents To Go 2.003

Documents To Go Full Version Key 2.003

Free Dictionary Org 1.2

Handcent SMS 2.8.5

Layar 3.0.3

NetCounter 0.12

Notes 0.9.0

OI File Manager 1.1.1

Opera Mini 4.2

Signature Beta 0.1.2r3

TasKiller 1.8.1 Free

Voice Search 1.3

One query I've had for a while is when I go into Batch Backup I can see the following

Backup all user apps

(running apps excluded) -26

Backup all user apps

(running apps will be auto-ended) 29

Why does it show minus 26 for the first option?

Cheers

Stan

Edited by scollie

Guest Keramidas

Hi Stan,

Did you perhaps back up your apps with LZO compression (and on a LZO-capable ROM) and then switched to another ROM (ie: non-LZO capable) before verifying your backups ? Currently the "error journal" of the verifier does not *yet* distinguish between "corrupted backup" and "backup with unsupported compression scheme".

Anyway, if that is the case you could try the "Problems?" button to upgrade your busybox to the 1.15.3, LZO-capable version. Please let us know if it works then ;)

Now about the numbers in the Batch menu:

You have 29 user apps backed up. 3 of them were running at the time you opened the Batch menu, so with "running apps excluded" it would include ~26 (which means "approximately 26" and not -26 !) apps.

The reason why it says "approximately 26" is that the final "is the app running ?" decisions will be settled when the backup is actually made - so the Batch menu gives you a hint that it might (or might not) backup some apps that might have started (or stopped) in the meantime (ie: between the moment when you opened the batch menu and the moment when you actually back up the apps).

I know it's a bit tricky, but I hope this clears it up for you :D