Android 1.6 / 2.0 development effort

Guest martinbrook

Hey guys, I have some donut leftovers from last night, are you in?

I have a relatively working donut build, but now i have to get back earning my paycheck.

Later today I will pack the mess in an update and upload here for testing...

BTW, Paul, I think I want my 'Chef's Lounge' ticket ;)

Thats sweet Immaculate! Cant wait to see this working and hoepfully get it built into Paul's U8230 MCR.

I

I have a relatively working donut build, but now i have to get back earning my paycheck.

Awesome, how did you do it? Ill happily test :-)

Guest martinbrook

Any news immaculate ?

Guest immaculate
Thinking the same thing. I'm gonna continue work on maybe a kernel port today to 2.6.29. I have no idea where to start to be honest =/

hey guys, i don't think we have to port the kernel to 2.6.29 (i tried, it takes a hell of a work and sleepless nights ;)).

Donut works on 2.6.27 kernel (trust me I've seen it on my pulse), the problem is that I couldn't get the radio to work on donut, and I'm rebuilding the whole thing over and over (every rebuild is painful and takes time, hence the delay). once I get the radio to work I will upload it so we can work together on WIFI and other stuff. I don't think the wifi is going to be problem since now I can't seem to get donut to load the external drivers/libraries (libril-qc-1.so is for radio) and the android build system is... well... a hell to figure out without proper documentation which lacks right now (or, i'm not a good googler)

After finishing the current build I will upload some screenshots of my pulse on donut

Can you post what you are doing currently, so others can have a go? Is it just what I have been trying (i.e. a mix of libs from the Pulse and donut), but with a more successful mix? If so, which files do you use from donut, and which from the pulse?

Guest immaculate
Can you post what you are doing currently, so others can have a go? Is it just what I have been trying (i.e. a mix of libs from the Pulse and donut), but with a more successful mix? If so, which files do you use from donut, and which from the pulse?

no, I guess it doesn't work like that, what I'm doing is rebuilding the donut AOSP with the pulse kernel.

I started with generic android build process

• Get the source http://source.android.com/download
  • Build it, adding the parameter KERNEL_DIR=/home/immaculate/android/pulse (this is the pulse kernel dir from huawei). Don't ask how I found the KERNEL_DIR parameter ;)
  • Easy ha? Well not so, since this is NOT documented anywhere I had a great googling session to find it and if anyone needs a reference where, I have NO idea.

This is how I got pulse to boot donut, now I'm trying to create a more 'official' way of building it, maybe than the radio will work. It includes changing a great deal of makefiles inside the android repo

Guest immaculate

here are the screenshots of pulse on donut.

post-609686-1260558978_thumb.jpgpost-609686-1260558958_thumb.jpg

these are from the old build using Paul's kernel. I uploaded the old ones from 2 days ago since I'm still struggling to get it work using the official way. I don't know maybe I'll abandon the idea of going official and just try to make it work ;)

btw, I think I can use some help here, you can try to make your own build using the method I described earlier, maybe someone can make it work

here are the screenshots of pulse on donut.

post-609686-1260558978_thumb.jpgpost-609686-1260558958_thumb.jpg

these are from the old build using Paul's kernel. I uploaded the old ones from 2 days ago since I'm still struggling to get it work using the official way. I don't know maybe I'll abandon the idea of going official and just try to make it work ;)

btw, I think I can use some help here, you can try to make your own build using the method I described earlier, maybe someone can make it work

Oh my god. That is so much easier than what I was doing. Surely you can edit the buildfile to include all the pulse libraries instead =/ Might try it over the weekend. I know if I start tonight ... i'll not sleep and I have work in the morning =P

Does your build.prop have these lines in it:

rild.libpath=/system/lib/libril-qc-1.so

rild.libargs=-d /dev/smd0

If not, maybe that's why the radio's not working... Don't ask me where you set those variables in the build process though - I totally agree about the lack of documentation!

Edited by Timmmm

Guest Richard_Arkless

considering that it is now possible, how long will it be until a rom is released

sorry if I sound ungrateful, im just a bit desperate to actually use 1.6 or 2.0 cause of the amount of new features

Edited by Richard_Arkless

Really? 1.6 is a very minor upgrade, aside from a shinier market, there's not a huge amount in it.

I'm happy to use an Android device whatever it's ROM tbh, most features I use come from the Market. ;)

P

Guest bounty123
Really? 1.6 is a very minor upgrade, aside from a shinier market, there's not a huge amount in it.

I'm happy to use an Android device whatever it's ROM tbh, most features I use come from the Market. ;)

P

Actually there are already some apps which doesn't work with 1.5. They don't even appear for us on the market.

Guest immaculate

P

Actually it doesn't matter how different 1.6 is from 1.5, the thing is that if we can get it work it opens the doors for 2.0 (and further) so we don't have to wait for tmob for update (if they release any). I like pushing my devices (and I like my pulse, so I don't think of changing it for some time) to their limits, and in the process to learn the internals of it...

I don't think anyone would say no to donut (for now, maybe eclair later).

Anyone else has a successful build?

Building as we speak. And I've written instructions.

By the way, I assume you didn't have to build the kernel manually - that gets done in the android build process, right?

Anyone else has a successful build?

I had a go at using your KERNEL_DIR tip - but it didn't seem to work. I'm building against the main branch of AOSP; are you building against the donut branch specifically? For the stuff at the KERNEL_DIR are you using T-Mobile's released source with a .config pulled from /proc? Did you pass any other options to make?

I'm still very new to this so the more instructions the better!

Just done a quick check to confirm what I suspected; an md5sum reveals that the same system.img is generated whether or not I pass the KERNEL_DIR option.

Edited by jmmL

Guest Richard_Arkless
Yeah, e.g. the google navigation and goggles apps only work with 1.6+

this is the main reason plus i heard somewhere that google have ported over the turn by turn feature to 1.6

Ok, first attempt failed. Android didn't seem to build a boot.img - I guess I have to build the kernel first?

That is what was confusing me. Building the kernel separately yields a zImage file - which I think can be renamed to boot.img and flashed. I'm just wondering what adding the KERNEL_DIR option does. It doesn't change the system.img and it doesn't seem to actually build a kernel against the AOSP stuff.