The Official Acer Liquid 'Ask Paul' Thread...

Guest PaulOBrien

Anyone else experience a FC whenever you go to edit contact details and choose social network and pick facebook?

mine times out and i get a FC

EDIT: seems to be working just fine now

Edited by goa200

Just done a test on my Liquid...

Took approximately 45 seconds from the initial buzz from the bootloader to bringing up the desktop, then a few more seconds to load the icons and pick up my 3G service.

To be honest, unless something is wrong with your phone, you shouldn't be booting more than once or twice a month or so anyway...

I've rebooted mine twice today and its very quick ... quicker then my mate Sony Ericsson candy bar. When I had to restart it I put it down expecting it to take a while (like my Magic) and suddenly it was showing the lock screen with NO SERVICE and then a couple of seconds later it was working.

40 seconds ish as Paul says. Very very respectable.

Guest TheTinyToon

my 2 cents.

The Cons:

• very unresponsive touchscreen edges
  • extra vendor junk marked as undeletable
  • wireless LAN antenna doesn't have a good reception
  • handbook errors on a lot of pages
    • no cisco VPN client although stated otherwise
    • no usb drivers on cdrom, although stated otherwise

• only average camera quality, no LED flash

The Pros:

[*]very fast (switching of portrait to landscape, etc)

[*]nice grip

[*]sound quality is good

[*]gorgeous screen, wide luminessence options

[*]environment light sensor

[*]battery life nice (~1.5 days with wireless on and constant fiddling)

Guest Seth Cold

Paul, how's the phone reception? and how's android without keyboard/scrollwheel ?? ( i have only used the G1) thank you.

do you recommend it? ( its the first android phone with 3G 1900mhz support, other than the elusive roger's g1... been waiting for this for months!!)

Guest three_pineapples

my 2c:

I'm in a regional area of Australia and have no trouble with the reception on the GSM network.

What advantages does the scrollwheel offer? I haven't found i need anything other than the touch screen. Sometimes i find when i'm zoomed out to far on webpages that it won't register clicks on links, so you have to zoom in a bit (would be cool if we had multitouch zoom like iphone!) but thats it. I guess maybe there are apps where you could use a scrollwheel... Keyboard seems good in landscape mode, though as the edge of the screen is a bit unresponsive i miss the space bar sometimes, but not often. Only had it for about 4 hours, so will get used to it no doubt! Can type quite quickly though with my two thumbs in landscape mode!

So far i'm finding the phone awesome ;)

Guest Seth Cold
my 2c:

I'm in a regional area of Australia and have no trouble with the reception on the GSM network.

What advantages does the scrollwheel offer? I haven't found i need anything other than the touch screen. Sometimes i find when i'm zoomed out to far on webpages that it won't register clicks on links, so you have to zoom in a bit (would be cool if we had multitouch zoom like iphone!) but thats it. I guess maybe there are apps where you could use a scrollwheel... Keyboard seems good in landscape mode, though as the edge of the screen is a bit unresponsive i miss the space bar sometimes, but not often. Only had it for about 4 hours, so will get used to it no doubt! Can type quite quickly though with my two thumbs in landscape mode!

thank you for your quick response!!

I-d also like to ask if the screen is OLED or TFT??

Guest Shuflie
my 2c:

Get Dolphin browser from the marketplace and use that instead, has a nice quick access system for zooming and gestures.

There's no Social Network integration on the phone out of the box.

P

I'm sorry Paul, I know I am a newbie and you are the master here, but I have my own Liquid, and I can see, in the contact apps I can hit the Menu button and find the SNS (social networking) link and integrate my Facebook & Twitter contacts (only if name of contact & facebook are perfectly matching, else I have to link profile & contact manually) after sincing my Liquid w/ my Facebook account...

Let us know how it performs for you please !

Thanks !

Guest three_pineapples
Get Dolphin browser from the marketplace and use that instead, has a nice quick access system for zooming and gestures.

I tried that. It didn't seem to have a gesture for zooming. Seemed slower than the stock browser too. So i uninstalled it ;)

Guest JackTheMan18

Question:

I installed the drivers that are pinned, no problem.

(under devices, in windows 7 64bit, I now show a Acer HSUSB device).

I installed SDK 1.6 (r4) from google.

However, I seem to be unable add the ADB driver, so that the SDK will work.

When I add the driver, windows 7 says that the device is not functioning. Is there something else required?

(In other words it shows the adb drivers with a yellow mark on it).

Any suggestions?

Guest llecaroz

first, force removing of all already installed previous versions of the driver & inf files ( by using tools like USBDeview on your PC ) you will see some acer bla bla bla line,

next just add this in your [google."your os version"] section of your android_winusb.inf file

;

;Acer Liquid

%SingleBootLoaderInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0502&PID_3201

%SingleBootLoaderInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0502&PID_3202&MI_00

%SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0502&PID_3202&MI_01

%CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0502&PID_3202&MI_02

%CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0502&PID_3202&MI_03

(don't forget to replace "your os version" by the corresponding os)...

& when it asks for the driver, set your android sdk usb driver dir & It should work successfully.

It works successfully on mine.

You can also verify that it works by going in the tools dir, & run adb devices

you should see one line with your device... & also adb shell should work ;)

Personnaly, I really apprecaite it comparing to my wife iphone. it is really quicker, multi tasks, but plastics a little bit to cheap ;) (but if you compare the price & specs to iphone, it is really a good deal)

Anyway, I really like it, my xperia is going to the drawer of my desk (broken everywhere, on the keyboard, ect...) !

and and and ! you can write android apps on eclipse... comparing to iphone on which you have to use a mac os & pay for their toolkit...

Really, enjoyded... going to start small devs....

Edited by llecaroz

• 2 weeks later...
just got my acer liquid..great apart from...can not get data connection (o2 ireland).. SIM is ok,, any ideas????thanks

Have you set up your APN settings? You'll find it in the settings menu.