1.6 ROM development

Guest Timmmm

Guest _Sebastian_

Update 2009-12-23

Finally got a working build environment with the codeaurora cupcake-chocolate branch. I'll start to add the huawei changes soon. Documentation for the codeaurora cupcake-chocolate branch will be added later.

Update 2009-12-23

Finally got a working build environment with the codeaurora cupcake-chocolate branch. I'll start to add the huawei changes soon. Documentation for the codeaurora cupcake-chocolate branch will be added later.

How exciting! Be interested to see how you progress getting everything up and running.

Guest _Sebastian_

##########################################

# A T T E N T I O N

#=============================================

# This will just build the Code Aurora chocolate-cupcake

# branch. No Huawei related changes are into it. It's just

# for the purpose to study the build system and diff the

# changes made by Huawei - and hopefully get the

# desired kernel patch and a build system

##########################################

codeaurora_chocolate_cupcake.tar.gz

Edited by _Sebastian_

Guest _Sebastian_
When you say the cupcake branch. Do you mean a 1.5 image? Or 1.6? Also, the huawei changes ... you mean the drivers? Or what?

Cupcake is Android 1.5. That's the base for me to create the Product Configuration. If we finally got everything working on 1.5 we can move over to 1.6 (Donut). But first we need to get 1.5 to get

compiled as Huawei did (sure we need some of their stuff because we don't have the complete source).

• 4 weeks later...
Guest David Horvath

Hey Guys,

I fed up so started my deep investigation how can i compile and bake an Android rom, so i collected all the info what i could into a google docs document. I've published it, so you can view it.

Android rom baking for Pulse

For modifications you can write to me, i will alter, but if you want to work on it i can grant access as editor.

Cheers,

Davi

The file attached is a patch.

What I did to get this patch is:

Downloaded the 2.6.27 msm source.

Did a diff between that and the new source huawei provided us with the get their changes...

I then applied this patch to 2.6.29 msm by changing to the source directory I wanted to patch and running 'patch -p1 < ../patchfile'

I then copied over my .config from the current MCR 1.7 ROM

I then ran 'make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-eabi- menuconfig'

All of the drivers had been copied and my config file had been read.

Now ... to compile. It doesn't work. Loads of errors. Anyone gonna help me out?

patchfile.zip

Guest david_dawkins

The file attached is a patch.

What I did to get this patch is:

Downloaded the 2.6.27 msm source.

Did a diff between that and the new source huawei provided us with the get their changes...

I then applied this patch to 2.6.29 msm by changing to the source directory I wanted to patch and running 'patch -p1 < ../patchfile'

I then copied over my .config from the current MCR 1.7 ROM

I then ran 'make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-eabi- menuconfig'

All of the drivers had been copied and my config file had been read.

Now ... to compile. It doesn't work. Loads of errors. Anyone gonna help me out?

Well, I did install Ubuntu last week to try and get up to speed. How far away am I from being of any use?

Well, I did install Ubuntu last week to try and get up to speed. How far away am I from being of any use?

well this is trying to update the kernel. If you get the 2.6.29msm kernel and apply this patch ... and it compiles correctly, we might be able to have 2.0 or higher sooner than we think.

There are errors. I don't know how to fix them.

Guest david_dawkins
well this is trying to update the kernel. If you get the 2.6.29msm kernel and apply this patch ... and it compiles correctly, we might be able to have 2.0 or higher sooner than we think.

There are errors. I don't know how to fix them.

How about uploading a gzip of the error log?

Can you point me at instructions for getting the 2.6.29msm kernel? Is it the "git" instructions at the start of this thread?

Google took me here: http://github.com/android/kernel_msm/tree/...2.6.29-nexusone

Is this right? I grabbed it in case

Edited by david_dawkins

How about uploading a gzip of the error log?

Can you point me at instructions for getting the 2.6.29msm kernel? Is it the "git" instructions at the start of this thread?

Can't sorry, just about to go ...

Here's instructions to checkout a particular branch. remember, 2.6.29 ... not 27.

http://www.cianer.com/androidg1/28-buildin...d-kernel-images

Guest _Sebastian_

Hey xangma,

sorry i am busy with work ... maybe this will help you. It's the codeaurora donut-cinnamon kernel (2.6.29)

with huawei stuff ... I didn't tried to boot it but it compiles with warnings (ISO C90 and more).

http://www.filemonster.net/en/file/15277/k...ngs-tar-gz.html

To get the .config copy /arch/arm/configs/msm7201a-perf_defconfig to the kernel root and rename it to .config

Guest david_dawkins
Hey xangma,

sorry i am busy with work ... maybe this will help you. It's the codeaurora donut-cinnamon kernel (2.6.29)

with huawei stuff ... I didn't tried to boot it but it compiles with warnings (ISO C90 and more).

http://www.filemonster.net/en/file/15277/k...ngs-tar-gz.html

To get the .config copy /arch/arm/configs/msm7201a-perf_defconfig to the kernel root and rename it to .config

Oh boy, how can you resist trying to boot it?! You're pretty sure it won't work aren't you :)

I will download this and see if I understand what's going on.

Just got back from work, will give it a go tomorrow. Thanks =]

Look at us, this is sad =P We are pretty much doing the same job the huawei people are doing, except with less time and for free. If this was my job instead ... i'd have it working by now =[

If it cheers anyone up, I've compiled the AOSP sources for 1.6 and it boots, albeit with no hardware working. I'm trying to swap bits of code in and out and see if I can turn up anything compatible.

EDIT: This isn't progress, the guy in the OP did it as well.

Edited by Josh04

If it cheers anyone up, I've compiled the AOSP sources for 1.6 and it boots, albeit with no hardware working. I'm trying to swap bits of code in and out and see if I can turn up anything compatible.

EDIT: This isn't progress, the guy in the OP did it as well.

Mmmmm, libhardware_legacy.so or whatever, replacing that gets wifi working usually. You're using the 2.6.27 kernel yeah?

Yeah, but the 1.6 and 1.5 libhardware_legacy.so's are incompatible; it won't boot at all with the old one, just flat refuses. Shouldn't be too hard to compensate for though. ATM I'm working through some bugs when trying to include some of the other drivers.

Guest _Sebastian_

We won't get any hardware started with a plain AOSP build .... You must replace libs, use qcom init and shell scripts. I started two weeks ago at the codeaurora donut-cinnamon branch. But i first need a linux distribution which won't make me crazy (Ubuntu freezes or corrupt .o files - needs 3+ runs to compile the hole stuff) and some time. I would fist start to boot the kernel with 1.5 to see if it runs corrrectly, then take a look at the donut-cinnamon branch. Create a new vendor config - take a look at the files provided in the huawei build environment topic.