December 2009: T-Mobile Pulse software update

Guest apavli

Does anyone know if shopsavvy now works with this update?

Yes, ShowSavvy wasn't working for me previously (without shining a high-powered torch at the lens!) but it now works fine with the update.

Yes, ShowSavvy wasn't working for me previously (without shining a high-powered torch at the lens!) but it now works fine with the update.

I too can confirm that before this update I just had a black screen for all the barcode scanners and bright lights didnt help, but now it all works fine.

Here's my findings when using the new rom, I would advise against it for now until it's fixed!

Initial state was tmobile rom + ra recovery + superboot

Upgraded to dec rom ok, barcodes work etc (love the way it tells you to do a back up first but provides no tools for doing so!)

Wanted to revert to nandroid backup of original rom to get list of apps i had installed etc

Went into ra recovery and restored old backup (which had superboot)

Pulse wouldn't boot, kept rebooting after showing the tmobile spinning circle

Re-ran the dec upgrade using vol +, red and power, ugraded ok again

Re ran recovery and backed up the new installation

Restored a back up of the original rom from before the point i installed superboot

Still wont boot old rom!

Restored backup of the new rom, this worked ok

Install superboot on dec rom, does not work!, constant reboot

Try restoring the first backup i ever did on it, stil nothing!

Reverting to backup of new rom

at the moment I'm stuck with the new rom, can't go back, can't install superboot etc

;)

additional :

Just tried using the nov update, but it says update failed straight away

Also tried the factory reset and wipe thru the recovery image, no luck

Edited by rjm2k

Guest mandroid
Here's my findings when using the new rom, I would advise against it for now until it's fixed!

Initial state was tmobile rom + ra recovery + superboot

Upgraded to dec rom ok, barcodes work etc (love the way it tells you to do a back up first but provides no tools for doing so!)

Wanted to revert to nandroid backup of original rom to get list of apps i had installed etc

Went into ra recovery and restored old backup (which had superboot)

Pulse wouldn't boot, kept rebooting after showing the tmobile spinning circle

Re-ran the dec upgrade using vol +, red and power, ugraded ok again

Re ran recovery and backed up the new installation

Restored a back up of the original rom from before the point i installed superboot

Still wont boot old rom!

Restored backup of the new rom, this worked ok

Install superboot on dec rom, does not work!, constant reboot

Try restoring the first backup i ever did on it, stil nothing!

Reverting to backup of new rom

at the moment I'm stuck with the new rom, can't go back, can't install superboot etc

;)

Thank you for sharing this information rjm2k ;) very worrying ;) I will not install the update until these issues can be resolve or the code can be safely merged into a new custom ROM

Thanks again, hope you find a fix ;)

Guest Shuflie
Are there any mods around? Could we have a sticky about this as there are quite a few people getting caught out by it.

I did post a warning on the first page of this thread and it was quoted again on the second, to be honest no matter how many warnings and stickies that get posted people are still going to flash the update anyhow. Perhaps if someone who has already taken the plunge and is now stuck with the pinkness could get in contact with Paul he may be able to work out exactly what the new ROM has done to stop superboot and custom ROMs from working. I'd imagine that its something to do with trying to get root permission but I don't really know enough about Android to help myself.

I did post a warning on the first page of this thread and it was quoted again on the second, to be honest no matter how many warnings and stickies that get posted people are still going to flash the update anyhow. Perhaps if someone who has already taken the plunge and is now stuck with the pinkness could get in contact with Paul he may be able to work out exactly what the new ROM has done to stop superboot and custom ROMs from working. I'd imagine that its something to do with trying to get root permission but I don't really know enough about Android to help myself.

I'm quite happy to help Paul look into it with my December rom pulse.

I doubt it's todo with root permission since my original backup didn't have anything todo with root set.

Only things I can think of are..

1. Looking for a signature of some kind

2. Change of filesystem made by the update but not reverse by restore?

3. Passing a key of some kind to an initialisation routine in say the radio rom?

But what is it that's looking for it and causing the reboot?

If it's something in the kernel, then surely we would see it if they ever release the open source.

Guest MrJoshua

Hi

I updated to the December firmware today, as my original installation royally screwed up this morning... No lock screen, green button not working, only two options when you go to turn the phone off - etc!

Not sure what went wrong, but it happened after a few failed calls using Truphone. Reboots, battery out etc didn't help.

Anyway, since the update, the phone feels a lot more snappy, panning around the pulse home screen is flawless where before it was really jerky.

Cheers

Josh

Edited by MrJoshua

I'm gonna upload MCR 1.5 today which is based on the December update, it'll be interesting to see if people who have already updated can apply that!

P

Will let you know, hopefully it won't need a wipe as I've just re-installed everything on my dec update!

Guest Shuflie

What will be more interesting is if it will be possible to go to older MCR versions or the U8230 based ROM after flashing, both for those who've done the update and those who haven't. If updated phones are still stuck with official tmobile updates it may be the bootloader that has changed, is it possible to extract the old one from an un-updated phone and use fastboot to flash it on an updated phone?

Edited by Shuflie

does this fix the bug when your listening or watching something on e.g. youtube then suddenly it starts to play your music from your library, that bug is really annoying

No, it seems it doesn't ;) . I'd not come across this in the previous version, probably because I'd not used headphones, but if I have headphones attached using the included adapter and try and watch youtube it starts playing music from the library and you can't hear the youtube video. If I disconnect the adapter then the youtube sound comes out the speakers and there's no music. Very strange.

What will be more interesting is if it will be possible to go to older MCR versions or the U8230 based ROM after flashing, both for those who've done the update and those who haven't. If updated phones are still stuck with official tmobile updates it may be the bootloader that has changed, is it possible to extract the old one from an un-updated phone and use fastboot to flash it on an updated phone?

What version is your bootloader showing?

P

Guest Shuflie
What version is your bootloader showing?

P

I'm still on the original that came with the phone as I haven't run any updates. How do you get at the bootloader version and I'll ket you know, I've been looking in fastboot but can't seem to work it out.

MCR Updated!

P

Changelog

Now based on December release - note a RIL DLL swap (as on U8230) was required for an un-december-updated device, please provide feedback if you already applied the December update

Other minor changes

If that's the fastboot version then mine is the same.

fastboot version is the same, but it shows a new builddate!

U can run the 8230 Version with the kernel from T-Mobile. I uploaded it already. I tried to reflash the old T-Mobile update what fails with an OEMSPL Error. Posted all this in another topic days ago. But nobody replied.

fastboot version is the same, but it shows a new builddate!

U can run the 8230 Version with the kernel from T-Mobile. I uploaded it already. I tried to reflash the old T-Mobile update what fails with an OEMSPL Error. Posted all this in another topic days ago. But nobody replied.

I noticed =P

I wonder if they've fixed the loophole that lets you flash unsigned builds? :/

P

My fastboot now shows v0.5, build date Nov 26 2009, 11:05:05

If it is fastboot they have changed, can we flash the old version back on the pulse?

ps, surely if they fixed the loophole we wouldn't be able to boot the modified recovery image?

---------------

as mentioned on the rom thread, this update does not work with a pulse which has had the tmobile dec update applied.

It may well work with those that haven't had dec applied.

Edited by rjm2k

so, how do i flash the old bootloader onto my pulse?

hope we get this fixed, it's only a small number who are stuck at the moment but you can bet the new retail models will start to include this from scratch.

Paul, what does superboot do that could be detected? Does it mess with the kernel image and make it unsigned or something?

At the moment :-

a dec updated phone wont boot a non-dec rom or a MCR dec rom

a dec updated phone wont boot a dec rom which has had superboot applied.

Edited by rjm2k