O2 MMS problems

Guest Shuflie

Guest starkos
Hey, starkos, are you saying that the script isn't needed at all now? Just replace the xml file and reset?

Yep, shouldn't need to use scripts if you use the latest xml I attached, then reset apns & activate o2 UK MMS. Would be useful to hear if works fine for everyone else on o2 simplicity though?

Also, any network should be able to get it working by just quickly editing the xml file with the relevant settings :)

Yep, shouldn't need to use scripts if you use the latest xml I attached, then reset apns & activate o2 UK MMS. Would be useful to hear if works fine for everyone else on o2 simplicity though?

Also, any network should be able to get it working by just quickly editing the xml file with the relevant settings :)

Well mine is still working ! If it stops working, will I be able to do the "reset apns" process using the xml file which I downloaded previously, or should I download the latest xml file ?

Guest starkos
Well mine is still working ! If it stops working, will I be able to do the "reset apns" process using the xml file which I downloaded previously, or should I download the latest xml file ?

It's up to you mate. With the old one you will also have to run the script in terminal, but the new one you shouldn't have to. Would also be useful if people tried the new one when they could just to make sure it's working properly...

Edit: How's mms reports working for you by the way? Mine seems to have a habit of not realising it's sent the mms or just staying at 'pending'!

Edited by starkos

It's up to you mate. With the old one you will also have to run the script in terminal, but the new one you shouldn't have to. Would also be useful if people tried the new one when they could just to make sure it's working properly...

Edit: How's mms reports working for you by the way? Mine seems to have a habit of not realising it's sent the mms or just staying at 'pending'!

Ummm...Ive not got delivery reports on - but Ill set them to on now and let you know !

Guest le_lutin

Starkos, jlgmax,

Has everything been going fine with the MMS? I was thinking about sticking the modifications (only the replacement of an xml file!) into an apk file for people to install (it could also include vodafone/orange/3). Might make it easier than using file explorer for non-techies.

My MMS works fine, only small gripe is that the pictures come through rather small.

Edited by le_lutin

Guest starkos
Starkos, jlgmax,

Has everything been going fine with the MMS? I was thinking about sticking the modifications (only the replacement of an xml file!) into an apk file for people to install (it could also include vodafone/orange/3). Might make it easier than using file explorer for non-techies.

My MMS works fine, only small gripe is that the pictures come through rather small.

Hey le_lutin, I rebooted my phone last night & think that may have stopped mms but a quick reset to defaults under apns on the phone seems to have fixed it. The apk seems a good idea & i'm sure people will appreciate it, but it will be alot of work! You will need a different xml for each carrier (& contract/payg I imagine) and you will prob need to somehow test all those settings, and finding the right ones could be a real pain!?

Regarding small mms received, that's a problem with o2 not recognising the android useragent. I've just replaced the Mms.apk in /system/app (& deleted the Mms.odex) with the modifeid Mms.apk found here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=542540 - needed to reboot after as well. This adds an extra setting in Messaging app to spoof your useragent; I used the N95 and I just received an mms full size :)

Edited by starkos

Guest le_lutin
Hey le_lutin, I rebooted my phone last night & think that may have stopped mms but a quick reset to defaults under apns on the phone seems to have fixed it. The apk seems a good idea & i'm sure people will appreciate it, but it will be alot of work! You will need a different xml for each carrier (& contract/payg I imagine) and you will prob need to somehow test all those settings, and finding the right ones could be a real pain!?

Regarding small mms received, that's a problem with o2 not recognising the android useragent. I've just replaced the Mms.apk in /system/app (& deleted the Mms.odex) with the modifeid Mms.apk found here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=542540 - needed to reboot after as well. This adds an extra setting in Messaging app to spoof your useragent; I used the N95 and I just received an mms full size :)

That's fantastic about the MMS.apk, thanks a million for the tip.

It really wouldn't be that much work for me to create an O2 MMS apk file to change the settings. I have a dev environment set up and last week I created an app which lists out all the apns in the telephony.db (that work wasn't needed as it turned out, since you came up with the solution using the apns-conf.xml).

I just wonder if anyone would actually use it if I made it.

Guest starkos

Oh just for o2, guess that wouldn't be too much hassle if you know how to do it. But if you're doing it for all carriers it could be more hassle than it's worth lol - up to you I guess if you want the project?

Not sure about people using it, I don't really need to, but you could just wait and see if anyone in this thread requests it now after reading your offer?

Guest le_lutin
Oh just for o2, guess that wouldn't be too much hassle if you know how to do it. But if you're doing it for all carriers it could be more hassle than it's worth lol - up to you I guess if you want the project?

Not sure about people using it, I don't really need to, but you could just wait and see if anyone in this thread requests it now after reading your offer?

Thanks Starkos.

That's fantastic about the MMS.apk, thanks a million for the tip.

It really wouldn't be that much work for me to create an O2 MMS apk file to change the settings. I have a dev environment set up and last week I created an app which lists out all the apns in the telephony.db (that work wasn't needed as it turned out, since you came up with the solution using the apns-conf.xml).

I just wonder if anyone would actually use it if I made it.

I'd defo use it, I still didn't get my mms to work on simplicity and lost track of all the things required across 10 pages of this thread.

Guest le_lutin

Starkos, what did you use to overwrite your old MMS.apk with your new one? I'm using ES File Explorer but it won't let me delete or replace that file.

Guest starkos
Starkos, what did you use to overwrite your old MMS.apk with your new one? I'm using ES File Explorer but it won't let me delete or replace that file.

I got hold of a copy of Root Explorer (but it's a paid app), You should be able to use adb if you know how - I'm not very good at it but I sure that xda link had instructions?

Does es file explorer not have an option to mount the directory to give write permissions (think that's what it's called lol)?

Edit: By the way, make sure you're using the Mms.apk found in the 'mms_useragent_changer_v2.zip' on that xda page..

Edited by starkos

Guest le_lutin
I got hold of a copy of Root Explorer (but it's a paid app), You should be able to use adb if you know how - I'm not very good at it but I sure that xda link had instructions?

Does es file explorer not have an option to mount the directory to give write permissions (think that's what it's called lol)?

Edit: By the way, make sure you're using the Mms.apk found in the 'mms_useragent_changer_v2.zip' on that xda page..

Thanks starkos, there was an option to mount the drive in ES File Explorer.

MMS working beautifully now.

Guest lankyfatrick

to be honest i would love this pacaged as an app or have a simple bullet point list to follow. just to make sure i dont mess it up.

thank you all for putting the effort into these great solutions! i really do appreciate it!

Paddy

Guest Smokeoil

How do you replace the xml file? I've tried using Astro and ES file manager but it says its not allowed. Assumed my phone was already rooted having applied the december update and then 1.7 vanilla :/

Guest starkos
How do you replace the xml file? I've tried using Astro and ES file manager but it says its not allowed. Assumed my phone was already rooted having applied the december update and then 1.7 vanilla :/

Hey, yea you will be rooted. Is there an option in es file explorer to mount the directory?

Unfortunately I haven't used es file manager but le_lutin uses it so hopefully when he's next on he will be able to tell you how he did it..

I wasn't able to test out those settings on Vodafone unfortunately but glad someone else was. I would be interested in a package too to get it working or a complete novice how to guide..... Thanks.

Guest le_lutin
I wasn't able to test out those settings on Vodafone unfortunately but glad someone else was. I would be interested in a package too to get it working or a complete novice how to guide..... Thanks.

If people could provide the following information for their network (and whether contract/PAYG) then we could make a package with all the settings for all carriers in it:

<apn carrier="[not important]" mcc="[don't need]" mnc="[don't need]" apn="[]" proxy="[]" port="[]" user="[]" password="[]" mmsc="[]" mmsproxy="[]" mmsport="[]"/>

If people could provide the following information for their network (and whether contract/PAYG) then we could make a package with all the settings for all carriers in it:

<apn carrier="[not important]" mcc="[don't need]" mnc="[don't need]" apn="[]" proxy="[]" port="[]" user="[]" password="[]" mmsc="[]" mmsproxy="[]" mmsport="[]"/>

You talking about this info in the acces point?

Name = Vodafone UK-Contract

APN = wap.vodafone.co.uk

Proxy = <Not Set>

Port = <Not Set>

Username = wap

Password = wap

Server = unsure about this, there is a star here but the 'show passwords' is enabled in security settings

MMSC = http://mms.vodafone.co.uk/servlets/mms

MMS proxy = 212.183.137.12

MMS port = 8799

MCC = 234

MNC = 15

APN type = <Not Set>

Guest quincy456

thanks "twe" was going to post the Vodafone UK ones ;)

fyi i have Voda kind of working but it doesnt show as sent and the recipent doesnt always get it similarly i dont always receive them - worse still theres no indication you have a mms waiting (not for me) not even i link in a sms

Edited by quincy456

Guest Smokeoil

On o2 simplicity here and all I've done is copy the new apn xml file over and reset apns. I can send mms now but when anyone sends one to me I dont receive it, not even the text from it. Any ideas? ;)