Flash on T-Mobile Pulse?

Guest BigBearMDC

Guest david_dawkins
Hey guys

I think I'm going to make a tutorial on how to edit the android kernel if I can manage to compile my one.

There aren't any tutorials on the net...

BTW I started again from the beginning - I now only copied the drivers (instead of the drivers and the mach_msm directory).

I guess that won't work as there is still some HTC stuff in the kernel... like HTC_battery and things like that...

I'll try it anyway.

Stay Tuned!

Greetings,

BigBearMDC

Now that would be excellent. +1 vote for the tutorial Mr Bear

Don't start thinking about the tutorial until you have it working yourself; anyone familiar with C or the like will probably be able to bash through kernel editing, but you are trying to help all of us so having a working product is more interesting for us :)

Guest david_dawkins
Don't start thinking about the tutorial until you have it working yourself; anyone familiar with C or the like will probably be able to bash through kernel editing, but you are trying to help all of us so having a working product is more interesting for us :)

Yes, but confucius he say "give a man a kernel, that man must wait for kernel; teach a man how to build a kernel, both men can work in parallel".

I think you're underestimating the amount of work this takes.

I've plenty (years) of development experience, but this isn't a language problem, it's what to edit/configure and why. I can't help until someone shows me what to do.

Guest BigBearMDC

I would make the tutorial after i finished this project so you guys don't need to worry about that - except you're interseted in the tutorial :)

Greetings,

BigBearMDC

Yes, but confucius he say "give a man a kernel, that man must wait for kernel; teach a man how to build a kernel, both men can work in parallel".

I think you're underestimating the amount of work this takes.

I've plenty (years) of development experience, but this isn't a language problem, it's what to edit/configure and why. I can't help until someone shows me what to do.

Having worked on similar projects before (a while back), it's more like 'give a man a kernel source, that man must wait for kernel drivers; teach a man how to build a kernel, everything gets very fragmented and very confusing very quickly unless they are in constant contact and are using the same code sources.'

If there isn't a proper version control system for checking in and checking out code, no one will get very far at all because people (or the original coder) will make changes that will eventually become incompatible with each other. That's why BigBear's had to start from scratch so many times, and why the other threads have just fragmented into different people not going very far at all.

Edited by Bakes

Guest BigBearMDC

UPDATE:

Wohoo :)

This is the first time the compiler went through ".tmp_vmlinux1" without telling me "no machine record defined"!!

Allthough I did not finish to compile the kernel, this is a major breakthrough!

Stay Tuned!

Greetings,

BigBearMDC

UPDATE:

Wohoo B)

This is the first time the compiler went through ".tmp_vmlinux1" without telling me "no machine record defined"!!

Allthough I did not finish to compile the kernel, this is a major breakthrough!

Stay Tuned!

Greetings,

BigBearMDC

Keep up the great work :)

Guest BigBearMDC

Is someone willing to help me?

I'd upload my modified kernel source so somebody can help me porting the kernel.

It's really difficult to find some functions in header files...

I now also made a Logfile in which I noticed the files i edited.

Just post a reply if youre interested :)

Greetings,

BigBearMDC

Guest BigBearMDC

For everyone whos interested in it: download me :)

EDIT:

Everyone who takes a look at the Compiling_LOG file might realize how difficult it is to find all the needed header files and to edit them correctly.

Greetings,

BigBearMDC

Compile_LOG.txt

Edited by BigBearMDC

Guest david_dawkins
For everyone whos interested in it: download me :)

EDIT:

Everyone who takes a look at the Compiling_LOG file might realize how difficult it is to find all the needed header files and to edit them correctly.

Greetings,

BigBearMDC

OK, I'm looking at that very first error (linux/mem_notify.h missing). Did the original Hero kernel compile cleanly? If so, where did drivers/char/mem.c come from? I'm assuming it was added as part of your edits.

Sorry if I'm being thick. The source tree you posted is downloading right now.

Dave

Guest BigBearMDC

The original Hero kernel compiled without any problems. No, mem.c is part of the Hero kernel as well.

You should be able to continue compiling from exactly the same point were I'm at the moment.

Thanks for your help, Dave!

Greetings,

BigBearMDC

Guest david_dawkins
The original Hero kernel compiled without any problems. No, mem.c is part of the Hero kernel as well.

You should be able to continue compiling from exactly the same point were I'm at the moment.

Thanks for your help, Dave!

Greetings,

BigBearMDC

I may well prove to be more of a hindrance..

So your edits have either changed the INCLUDE path, or have removed the headers it's looking for. I'm guessing it's the INCLUDE path, since why would you remove the headers?

Download failed, I need to kick it off again.

Edited by david_dawkins

Guest BigBearMDC

Hi Dave!

Well the mem.c from the Pulse has just more functions that need extra headerfiles, which are not needed in the Hero kernel.

I just copied the drivers from the Pulse kernel into the Hero kernel => /Pulse_kernel/drivers to /Hero_kernel/drivers.

Thats why there are missing header files. I tried to change only the necessary parts of the kernel - only the drivers.

But the problem is, that the Pulse drivers are far more "integrated" into the kernel as they include more headerfiles than the Hero kernel does.

So it's difficult to find all the header files that are nedded for the drivers to work properly. I ned to open every source file that causes an error, open

every header file that is included, open most of the header files that are included in those header files and compare them with the files from

the Pulse kernel. That was not that much work in most cases - but if it gets more difficult it takes me almost an hour to find the problem.

And that only for one file... But it works.

BTW at the end of the LOG file you can have a look at the problems I'm facing now. I almost searched 2 or 3 hours, but couldn't find anything...

Greetings,

BigBearMDC

Guest david_dawkins

OK, I understand.

My download completed and I can open it up. I had to trash my Ubuntu though, since I'd used Wubi (very cool) and it had installed the newer Ubuntu. I read that we need a slightly older version so the cross-compilation toolchain works. Can you do a "uname -a" for me, or point me at the Ubuntu you have installed?

Thanks!

Dave

Guest BigBearMDC

Linux Android-DEV-PC 2.6.28-11-generic #42-Ubuntu SMP Fri Apr 17 01:57:59 UTC 2009 i686 GNU/Linux
;) I'm currently working with the 4.3.1 toolchain and it works fine. I now found a way to search for the headerfiles that contain the functions i need:
~/kernel/kernel_pulse$ grep -rl 'function_name' * | grep .h

That works pretty good.

Greetings,

BigBear

Edited by BigBearMDC

Guest BigBearMDC

Hey guys.

Just to keep you updated:

David Dawkins now helps me a lot.

We tried to compile the Hero kernel with the drivers from the Pulse.

But then Dave realised that there is really much hardware specific stuff in the mach-msm dir of the kernel.

So we decited to copy the mach-msm dir too. Then Dave had another idea. We want to try to compile android

with the already compiled libs from the Hero ROM, so that we can use the libs from the Hero ROM, which

are responsible for flash - at least we think that.

So what we're doing at the moment:

- compile the Hero kernel with the drivers and mach-msm dir from the Pulse kernel.

- compile android with the Hero libs.

Stay Tuned!

Greetings,

BigBear

• 4 weeks later...
Guest CHN-michael

My Friends told us about their project based on the Flash on Android 1.5,But it seemd faild on my pulse,just play a well perfomace on his ARM band,sc34XX.

Guest BigBearMDC
My Friends told us about their project based on the Flash on Android 1.5,But it seemd faild on my pulse,just play a well perfomace on his ARM band,sc34XX.

Thanks, have you got a (non chinese <_< ) link?

Greetings,

BigBear

Guest screwface

wait for a Motorola CLIQ XT rom dump.

It's a stock android 1.5 device with flash light.

Will be easier than porting it from the hero.

Guest CHN-michael
Thanks, have you got a (non chinese :D ) link?

Greetings,

BigBear

They are used it for their papers,until now it could not be a public project(Sorry for that)... :mellow: :(

And other information is My Friends in Huawei said 2.1 is nearly completed,but their test showed it's so slow for pulse.... <_<

Guest xangma
They are used it for their papers,until now it could not be a public project(Sorry for that)... :mellow: :(

And other information is My Friends in Huawei said 2.1 is nearly completed,but their test showed it's so slow for pulse.... <_<

How long before it's released and we can have it?

Guest CHN-michael
How long before it's released and we can have it?

He could not determined it,even don't know the exactly date or month.

The confirm thing is Huawei has nearly finished it,maybe soon...