How to unlock the bootloader on your Nexus One

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest dopetastic
- Put AbdWinApi.dll and AbdWinUsbApi.dll from the SDK "tools" directory and fastboot-windows.exe from this zip file in a directory together >>>>> fastboot.zip

- Open a cmd window and cd to the directory where the three files are

- Enter "fastboot-windows.exe oem unlock". You should see "< waiting for device >".

ok, big newb question here. i use mac primarily and i don't understand what you mean by putting the files into a directory together.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 'sein

By magic I have a Ship SPL with S-OFF so I can unlock and relock my bootloader. If anyone knows whether I can read the SPL off my phone I'm happy to pass it on.

4419553958_bb810eea3a.jpg

Edited by 'sein

Guest xkonni
By magic I have a Ship SPL with S-OFF so I can unlock and relock my bootloader. If anyone knows whether I can read the SPL off my phone I'm happy to pass it on.

4419553958_bb810eea3a.jpg

we do already have the engineering spl. its on cyanogens server: http://n0rp.chemlab.org/android/nexus/

but afaik regular phones only got a 512k spl, that is 768k in size.

however, i do not know if someone tried to flash it already as it will almost certainly result in a bricked phone ;p

Guest 'sein
but afaik regular phones only got a 512k spl, that is 768k in size.

In which case my SPL would probably be useful since its definitely a regular retail Nexus One, not a dev phone or holiday phone.

Guest xkonni
In which case my SPL would probably be useful since its definitely a regular retail Nexus One, not a dev phone or holiday phone.

okay, that sounds reasonable <_<

but i have to admit that i do not know how to pull the spl from the phone. maybe drop on #modaco or #cyanogenmod on freenode, i'm sure that someone there can help :mellow:

Guest indieladadam

Mine is stuck on <waiting for device> too =[ not doing anything, i downloaded sdk and updated all.. so drivers are up to date (it installed revision 3 successfully) but still does not pick up my phone when check for it by fastboot devices.. when i plug in the device while in fastboot windows attempts to install android 1.0 drivers unsuccessfully as no disk and can't auto install.

Guest DanH48

I think you should get onto Paul with this as if it is 512k then it shuld be able to be used if the signature can be reproduced.

Guest jpshar

AAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!

I am obviously doing something stupidly wrong, but I don't know what.

My computer fails to find my Nexus One. So although I have fastboot and the AdbWinApi.dll and AdbWinUsbApi.dll in the same folder, it won't do a thing when I double-click the fastboot-windows option.

When I try to access it through a command line prompt I get the message "fastboot-windows oem unlock is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file".

HELP! I've been trying to fix this for 3 days. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest nitroboost
AAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!

I am obviously doing something stupidly wrong, but I don't know what.

My computer fails to find my Nexus One. So although I have fastboot and the AdbWinApi.dll and AdbWinUsbApi.dll in the same folder, it won't do a thing when I double-click the fastboot-windows option.

When I try to access it through a command line prompt I get the message "fastboot-windows oem unlock is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file".

HELP! I've been trying to fix this for 3 days. :P

Your phone is booted up to the white screen from holding the trackball and it says Fastboot USB above the menu items? You also installed the drivers so the nexus one is seen by the OS? If so you'll have to let us know the error and what fastboot-windows devices shows. You need to be in the directory where your fastboot and dlls reside when using the console, unless you place all 3 in windows\system32 or some system path.

Guest dexack

I managed to get the seriall number up om XP but when I tried to install the superboot for the correct version it always failed, and on re start no unlock icon shows, what am I doing wrong?

Guest dexack
I managed to get the seriall number up om XP but when I tried to install the superboot for the correct version it always failed, and on re start no unlock icon shows, what am I doing wrong?

No sweat, worked it out, running a21 custom rom, sweet mate!

Guest imam abu sulayman

hello folks, first off am a total goho when it comes to all these geeky stuff so pls forgive my naivete. I bought my N1 straight from google totally unlocked (or so i think), and i want to install the sense ui rom onto it but i just cant even seem to unzip the fastboot file on my pc as required. I use a windows vista. can somebody pls help me out. thank you

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest justajason
ok what did you do all I get on my nexus one is a waiting on device, thanks

Ok, IM not even getting that far. I get a flash of a prompt screen and thats it.

Ive tried reinstalling the drivers. And still no dice.

Man, I thought this would be easier than rooting the hero

Ive tried doing the commands from a prompt. And I get <remote: signature verify fail>

So I figured that I need to unlock the bootloader

so I tried using the command prompt, and I get AdbWinApi.dll is missing, What the heck? ITs in the same dad blame folder.

Anyone want to share how to correct this? The other responses to the thread say that they have figured it out, but they dont say how.

Whats the deal?

Edited by justajason

• 3 weeks later...
Guest PCNemy

Im getting an error on my N1:

"The program can't start because AdbWinApi.dll is missing from you computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem."

What should I do??

Guest TheRealtor

man, i'm a noob to android and have been a long time iphone fixer.

i cannot my nexus rooted.

i have windows 7 64bit running, followed all the directions, downloaded all the files etc.

i got into the boot screen on the nexus but c: prompt says waiting for device.

i tried to run adb but it is not displaying my serial number.

when i run install superboot...just hangs

what the hell am i doing wrong? should i use an XP system?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest lim_ryan

Help , i cant unlock the bootloader,

i connect the phone to the pc, windows can detect my phone with serial no.. but when tries to root it using command prompt, phone is not detected as the serial number never show up, hence i only get the message "waiting for device".

stuck in the fastboot-windows oem unlock process

Edited by lim_ryan