AOSP Eclair 2.1 r4 for GSM Hero (now with online kitchen)

Guest jnwhiteh

Guest jnwhiteh
Just flashed the new stuff... got 2 FC's at first start: one for Google core (or something like that) and another one for the keyboard. Pushing the wait-button fixed it. After a restart the phone runs smooth as hell. This rom is getting better and better.

One tiny thing: in the 'about' screen AOSP is being displayed two times... maybe it's an idea to display the releasenumber of your rom on one place. AOSP Hero R7 for example. But other than that I absolutely love this release. I'm curious if the 2.1 HTC-release will pull me back to Sense, at the moment I prefer a 'nude' Android.

That's not a 'FC'. A 'Force Close' is when you are forced to force close an application in order for your phone to continue functioning. The window (which is roughly the same) that allows you to force close an application or wait for the spin to finish is an issue with scheduling and something else that hasn't quite been worked out yet.

I'll think about changing the about screen.. the problem is that building from the source, I run too many builds to think about changing it frequently enough to really be worth it.

Guest String Theory
That's not a 'FC'. A 'Force Close' is when you are forced to force close an application in order for your phone to continue functioning. The window (which is roughly the same) that allows you to force close an application or wait for the spin to finish is an issue with scheduling and something else that hasn't quite been worked out yet.

I'll think about changing the about screen.. the problem is that building from the source, I run too many builds to think about changing it frequently enough to really be worth it.

Okay,thanks for the usefull info.. and the version number ain't that important, but just maybe a little gimmick ;-)

By the way, I see on Lox's twitter that there are parts from the 2.1-branche coming out... Do you know how long it takes before they arrive in the Master branche?

Guest surfsmurf

Hmm R7 and googlebits v1.6 seems to have broken network location for me. I get the same CID=unknown in phone info and onCellLocationChanged [6112,-1] messages in logcat as before.

I've tried pushing NetworkLocation.apk from GB 1.5 to no effect.

Any ideas?

EDIT: And now I'm not even sure it ever worked... it looked like I got it working yesterday, but restoring a backup doesn't help. Bugger.

Edited by surfsmurf

Guest jnwhiteh
Okay,thanks for the usefull info.. and the version number ain't that important, but just maybe a little gimmick ;-)

By the way, I see on Lox's twitter that there are parts from the 2.1-branche coming out... Do you know how long it takes before they arrive in the Master branche?

I'll be moving back to eclair once I can reconcile where the lates code is in each branch. Quite frustrating considering they didn't do a full code drop.

Hmm R7 and googlebits v1.6 seems to have broken network location for me. I get the same CID=unknown in phone info and onCellLocationChanged [6112,-1] messages in logcat as before.

I've tried pushing NetworkLocation.apk from GB 1.5 to no effect.

Any ideas?

EDIT: And now I'm not even sure it ever worked... it looked like I got it working yesterday, but restoring a backup doesn't help. Bugger.

I'm fairly certain it never worked for you. It's never worked for anyone.

Guest jnwhiteh
Hi,

Can I flash r7 and the new googlebits straight over r4 without a wipe?

Yep, should be no issues with that. nandroid backup as always =)

Edited by jnwhiteh

Guest jnwhiteh
what will the general release include tomorrow sir thats not in the latest beta?

Nothing.. it just means I move it from the beta to being the only available download, i.e. the version that I expect people to be on or coming from.

Guest nuumuun

adwinp's rom Hik@Ri_2.1.0_92o_n.s from xda-developers does have a Location CID and after pushing the NetworkLocation.apk from your googlebits-hero-v1.6-signed.zip i got it working google maps!

you might wanna give him a pm and ask how he did it =P

Edited by nuumuun

Guest Stea1thmode
adwinp's rom Hik@Ri_2.1.0_92o_n.s from xda-developers does have a Location CID and after pushing the NetworkLocation.apk from your googlebits-hero-v1.6-signed.zip i got it working google maps!

nice 1!

anyone else notice poor picture quility on video playback and youtube even using wifi?

edit: poor meaning distorted red, green and blue lines throughout playback.

Edited by Stea1thmode

Guest jnwhiteh

Link?

Guest jnwhiteh

Well I won't have much time to dig into it.. someone is free to ask him if he did anything specific.. otherwise we might want to start grabbing libraries and configuration and see what he might have done differently!

Guest uniqron

Works better (faster, cleaner) than the 3.1 rom for me...

I must say I kind of like the vanilla Android without all the sense stuff. I kind of miss some apps, but this runs pretty well.

Guest jnwhiteh
Works better (faster, cleaner) than the 3.1 rom for me...

I must say I kind of like the vanilla Android without all the sense stuff. I kind of miss some apps, but this runs pretty well.

2.1 feels even faster to me, believe it or not =)

Guest String Theory

Just had big issues with the camera. @ 3MP the camera can only take one picture at a time. The second picture gives me a FC. And after starting up the camera a few times the phone rebooted out of nothing.

In earlier Releases Hik@Ri-Rom has just been a heavily customized 1.5 (!) Rom but he changed something (in the build.prop ??) so it will accept apk´s from higher sdk´s. It has been a fake-2.1. ...that´s what i understood. ...correct me if i´m wrong

That would explain why location works with his Rom.

But i can´t find the hint for this anymore in his first post in his Thread on XDA, so maybe it´s a "real" 2.1 now. Will check that as soon i have time for it

Maik

Edited by Maik_B

Guest jnwhiteh
Just had big issues with the camera. @ 3MP the camera can only take one picture at a time. The second picture gives me a FC. And after starting up the camera a few times the phone rebooted out of nothing.

The camera is a known issue, you can use 2MP and it works over and over again.. and reboots (while unfortunate) aren't something I can troubleshoot without a logcat.. and that doesn't help since our phones aren't normally connected when they crash =/.

Guest nuumuun
In earlier Releases Hik@Ri-Rom has just been a heavily customized 1.5 (!) Rom but he changed something (in the build.prop ??) so it will accept apk´s from higher sdk´s. It has been a fake-2.1. ...that´s what i understood. ...correct me if i´m wrong

That would explain why location works with his Rom.

But i can´t find the hint for this anymore in his first post in his Thread on XDA, so maybe it´s a "real" 2.1 now. Will check that as soon i have time for it

Maik

that might be the reason why i'm unable to find some apps on the market ... damn ... and i thought he found a way to make Network Location work :)

anyways ... i sent him a pm over at xda-dev. maybe he can answer the question

Guest jnwhiteh
that might be the reason why i'm unable to find some apps on the market ... damn ... and i thought he found a way to make Network Location work :)

anyways ... i sent him a pm over at xda-dev. maybe he can answer the question

What apps are you unable to see? Your network location has absolutely NOTHING to do with the market. You should have 0 market issues with my ROM. Please let me know what issue you're having.